Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO deadline has passed (DRAMATIC MUSIC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

~Candy~ wrote: »
    oh god, after reading the whole trend i still have no idea how it works, that deptmarment of my brain must be blocked or what..could someone please help with mine

1. TR017 Law and Business ( i want to do this but i don't think i will get the pts)

2. DN021 Business and Law ( i really want to do it )
    3. MH406 Law and Business ( erm, i dunno about this one)
    4. CK201 Commerce ( i want to do this)
    5. DN015 Commerce not sure )
    6. TR081 Business, Economic and Social Studies(not sure)
    7. CK211 Commerce (International) with Chinese Studies ( i want to do this)

basically i was thinking if i don't get my first two i will want to stay in cork and do commerce...i am not sure if i will go to maynooth to do it
    what will happen if i didn't get my first 2

should i move the dublin opinions down?

1 DN021 (Because you you REALLY want this one above all other right?)
    2 TR017
    3 CK201
    4 CK211
    5/6/7 MH406 / DN015 / TR081

~Candy~ wrote: »
    what will happen if i didn't get my first 2?

The CAO computer looks at the leaving cert points you have and if you have satisfied the basic matriculation requirements (could be passed maths or a language or english) it offers you the highest course on your list that you qualify for.

The CAO rule is: Put the courses in the order you want them. Completely ignore the fact that you think you may not get the points for something.

For example some people are saying that Law in trinity will have a drop in points because solicitors are being let go left right and centre because of the construction recesssion.

If you want to stay in cork you have to put the cork courses at the top of your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

pathway33 wrote: »
    The CAO computer looks at the leaving cert points you have and if you have satisfied the basic matriculation requirements (could be passed maths or a language or english) it offers you the highest course on your list that you qualify for.

The CAO rule is: Put the courses in the order you want them. Completely ignore the fact that you think you may not get the points for something.

For example some people are saying that Law in trinity will have a drop in points because solicitors are being let go left right and centre because of the construction recesssion.

If you want to stay in cork you have to put the cork courses at the top of your list.

Even if the another person who is in contention for that course has put it no.1 on their list and got lower points than you did but you put it no.4 say?

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Even if the another person who is in contention for that course has put it no.1 on their list and got lower points than you did but you put it no.4 say?

yes say if you got 500 points and your cao in august is like this

1. commerce ucd 510
    2. business trinity 520
    3. economics trinity 505
    4. law trinity 495

then you get law in trinity in round 1 providing you satisfy the basic matriculation requirements for e.g maths, english whatever

say if the other person got 490 points and their cao in august looked like

1. law trinity 495
    2. commerce ucd 510
    3. business trinity 520
    4. economics trinity 505
    5. arts ucd 350

then they would get arts in ucd in round 1 providing matric requirements satisfied

say in round 2 then for the other person their cao reads

1. law trinity 485
    2. commerce ucd 480
    3. business trinity 515
    4. economics trinity 500
    5. arts ucd 350

as they now qualify for law trinity they are offered that place. Note that they cannot be offered commerce ucd as it is below law trinity. they can then either choose to stick with arts ucds from round 1 or more likely pick their favourite course law trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Anybody know how the 'Vacant Places' aspect of the CAO works???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

Now, I'm mixed up again. I got HEAR and in UCD they doesn't offer HEAR for international arts students... Maybe just change to ordinary arts and take up German as the subject?
    (It will be soo funny if I get into commerce :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

Is the CAO website down at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Is the CAO website down at the moment?

Must be. I have'nt been able to get to it either. Bad time for this FFS! A couple of days to go to the deadline and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

yup, i've been trying to access it all day....catching a flight at 3 so hope its working by then!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

after finally deciding what i wanted to put down today! and i'm trying to get on since 6pm, fair annoying, it hardly crashed from usage this early! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

poppy08 wrote: »
    Yahey! some optimism:D

I like half the people on here have completely lost rein of myself this week, hopes and dreams dashed, so i think its about time we look on the bright side of this whole fiasco and hope that the really smart people are really lazy ( i.e we kick their asses in lc points)...and it'll all sort itself out:D

can't wait for CAO to close then i can stop changing my second choice 50 times a day:o
    If, for example, you miss your first choice and get your second choice, third choice and so on. Can you pick between your other 9 choices or do you HAVE to go with your second one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

jumpguy wrote: »
    If, for example, you miss your first choice and get your second choice, third choice and so on. Can you pick between your other 9 choices or do you HAVE to go with your second one?

If you're offered your first choice, you either take that or nothing...you cant choose between the lower ones.
    If you miss your first choice (dont get the points for it), and get offered your no.2, you have to take it aswel, you cant pick any lower ones.

Order of preference! Forget points!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No, you can NOT pick and choose between your choices.

Which is why you should list them in the order you want to get the courses.

Read above thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Oh sorry for posting off-topic...have a knack for it lately. Well that's abit sh!te then. Kinda unnessicarily narrows one's options, doesn't it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No, it just means you have to make your mind up NOW rather than then.

Seriously, dude, how on earth do you think the CAO could do it otherwise? :)

It's already a mathematical and computer processing headache of the first order ...

Oh sorry for posting off-topic...have a knack for it lately. Well that's abit sh!te then. Kinda unnessicarily narrows one's options, doesn't it?

If it wasn't the way it is now it would be an administration nightmare. I can't imagine how the system would work if people were allowed to chose their course in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Ooh...i knew i wasnt going mad! Posts got mooooved! :pac: Confused i was :p

Ehm, cao, site seems to be down. It better wake up soon...haven't gone near it since january >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

So was I the only one to find out about the CAO.ie crash mid application?:rolleyes:

Shame finally had the bloody thing sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Hmm, still doesnt seem to be workin!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Looking to change my CAO too, because i know if i leave it any later i'll forget. Decided just to focus on UL and UCC business type courses rather than Law in DCU and Arts in Maynooth as i have no interest in Dublin unless i get my number 1 (Law and Economics in UCD).

• Advertisement

I'd say it'll be down until Monday, it crashed around 5:30 yesterday afternoon which is outside their office hours so it'll probably go unnoticed until then

Craguls wrote: »
    I'd say it'll be down until Monday, it crashed around 5:30 yesterday afternoon which is outside their office hours so it'll probably go unnoticed until then

I seriously doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

This happens every year. I am amazed that they have not invested in a redundancy yet.
    Also if the server has just crashed they should be able to telnet into the power module (If they have one that can do this that is) connected to the system and tell it to reset the system. It will cut the power and then turn it on again.

Considering how mission critical this is for candidates I am unsure why they don't implement some kind of backup system when they know the primary system will go down.

Or another side of this why haven't candidates had this done for months. Procrastination is not a good way to go when this like this could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Isaac702 wrote: »
    Also if the server has just crashed they should be able to telnet into the power module (If they have one that can do this that is) connected to the system and tell it to reset the system. It will cut the power and then turn it on again.
    Did a quick check there, server is alive, though pings are disabled. You can ssh and telnet in, so it's just the webserver that has made a mess of itself, rather than the whole machine becoming unstable. Should be a 5 minute fix.

It's just back now, I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bstoran

dont think anyones got a harder choice than me...

medicine UCD or accounting UCC......

think iv an alright chance for med, got 85% in hpat..

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghh

bstoran wrote: »
    dont think anyones got a harder choice than me...

medicine UCD or accounting UCC......

think iv an alright chance for med, got 85% in hpat..

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghh

Why not put medicine first (in however many colleges) and then accounting immediately after? That way, if you don't get the points for medicine, and you do get the points for accounting, you'll be offered accounting. It's not that complicated of a dilemma, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bstoran

Why not put medicine first (in however many colleges) and then accounting immediately after? That way, if you don't get the points for medicine, and you do get the points for accounting, you'll be offered accounting. It's not that complicated of a dilemma, really.

because I don't know if i want to do medicine??
    totally different jobs, and very different cities as well.....

bstoran wrote: »
    because I don't know if i want to do medicine??
    totally different jobs, and very different cities as well.....

I'd pick medicine. Accounting, to me anyway, sounds like the most tediously boring course/job imaginable. I'd rather chop of my left arm than be an accountant (I'd actually rather chop off my left arm than be a doctor too, though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭-ilikeshorts

phasers wrote: »
    Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. DC131 Communication Studies
    2. DT552 Media Arts
    3. TA022 Creative Digital Media
    4. DN012 Arts
    5. MH101 Arts
    6. MH109 Media Studies

I've my 1 and 2 backwards to you but still not sure did you go to the dcu or what made you choose that over media arts

Advertisement