Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭eru123

johnpaul6 wrote: »
    hi lads anyone know when the next intake is , for the reserves,

Friday 3rd September

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jonnie5

does any garda reserves when fully trained carry pepper spray around with them on patrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

jonnie5 wrote: »
    does any garda reserves when fully trained carry pepper spray around with them on patrol.

A similar question was asked by you on 25th May and answered here - Does anyone have anything different to this answer that they can mention here?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

kerry4sam wrote: »
    A similar question was asked by you on 25th May and answered here - Does anyone have anything different to this answer that they can mention here?

i does but i cant remember!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

In short,yes. You will probably be offered a day training course at your station where everything O.C. related will be discussed.
    It's use, how to administer and care of prisoner after administration.
    Ask your Sergeant or Training Officer for details.
    It falls under the firearms act so it does require you handing it back in after your tour of service

• Advertisement

kensey wrote: »
    In short,yes. You will probably be offered a day training course at your station where everything O.C. related will be discussed.
    It's use, how to administer and care of prisoner after administration.
    Ask your Sergeant or Training Officer for details.
    It falls under the firearms act so it does require you handing it back in after your tour of service

thanks for that.

@ jonnie5: At what stage of the reserve recruitment process are you currently at?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    @ jonnie5: At what stage of the reserve recruitment process are you currently at?

started training sat 29 of nov 2008 .i am enjoying every bit of it.hope you are to .

started training sat 29 of nov 2008 .i am enjoying every bit of it.hope you are to .

2years of reserve duties and still going enjoying it, sounds good. I like hearing positive feedback like that but I would say that it's not always all good though? Can you or any other Reserve reading this share any of your experiences (on any situation) on here on being a Reserve Garda?

I just want to clarify here though that I am not through the recruitment process YET ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Hi,
    Im out on Phase 4 now but i due down in templemore on the 25th of this month.
    Just want a bit of info on what i am to expect while im down there from anyone who has completed the course.

On the saturday on phase 3 we were asked what date we wanted to do the course on and i picked the 25th but do we have to confirm my attendance or do i just turn up on the day to do it?

John.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

jmc1546 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im out on Phase 4 now but i due down in templemore on the 25th of this month.
    Just want a bit of info on what i am to expect while im down there from anyone who has completed the course.

On the saturday on phase 3 we were asked what date we wanted to do the course on and i picked the 25th but do we have to confirm my attendance or do i just turn up on the day to do it?

John.

The first thing I'll say about it is its a hugely enjoyable day, one of my favourites of all the training. Bring a tracksuit down (not shorts, thats really important) and the blue Garda t-shirt you got with the uniform. If you're going down the night before take it very easy in Polly's as you will sweat like never before on the day (you will also hurt for days afterwards - but its worth it). The training itself is very well run and comprehensive. Make sure you are well rested as you need to give it 100% on the day, dont leave anything behind as the course is assessed and you can fail it. I think this is fair enough as the Asp is a serious weapon and people need to be competent in using it. Re attendance, I filled my name in on the sheet as you did and ticked a box that I required accomodation and then turned up the night before. I think they only contact you if the training is not going ahead because of not enough numbers etc. Enjoy the day, especially the assessment.....

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Spartan09 wrote: »
    The first thing I'll say about it is its a hugely enjoyable day, one of my favourites of all the training. Bring a tracksuit down (not shorts, thats really important) and the blue Garda t-shirt you got with the uniform. If you're going down the night before take it very easy in Polly's as you will sweat like never before on the day (you will also hurt for days afterwards - but its worth it). The training itself is very well run and comprehensive. Make sure you are well rested as you need to give it 100% on the day, dont leave anything behind as the course is assessed and you can fail it. I think this is fair enough as the Asp is a serious weapon and people need to be competent in using it. Re attendance, I filled my name in on the sheet as you did and ticked a box that I required accomodation and then turned up the night before. I think they only contact you if the training is not going ahead because of not enough numbers etc. Enjoy the day, especially the assessment.....

So the only part of the uniform you need to bring is the garda t-shirt. We dont need to bring our duty belt like we used for the handcuff training???

The only thing that happend was our sergeant down in templemore just put the date we selected down beside our name on a list. Didnt get a chance to select if we were staying. Might ring and see if i can stay down the night before.

Where is the training held in templemore? Same place as we did the Police self defence?

Thanks for all this info.

jmc1546 wrote: »
    So the only part of the uniform you need to bring is the garda t-shirt. We dont need to bring our duty belt like we used for the handcuff training???

The only thing that happend was our sergeant down in templemore just put the date we selected down beside our name on a list. Didnt get a chance to select if we were staying. Might ring and see if i can stay down the night before.

Where is the training held in templemore? Same place as we did the Police self defence?

Thanks for all this info.

Yep you do it in the gym upstairs in the new building. Sorry forgot to say about the utility belt, need that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Hi Guys,

At what stage do you get your uniform? I'm only starting 3rd Dec Stage one...Thanks.

Hi Guys,

At what stage do you get your uniform? I'm only starting 3rd Dec Stage one...Thanks.

You get it when you go back down for Phase 3, ie after Phase 2 legal training in your training station, you need it for Phase 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

You get it when you go back down for Phase 3, ie after Phase 2 legal training in your training station, you need it for Phase 4.

Hey, where are the training stations for phase 2 in Dublin??

rookie09 wrote: »
    Hey, where are the training stations for phase 2 in Dublin??

In the DMR It usually rotates between divisional stations such as Blanchardstown, Store Street, Santry etc, each training group that comes through has a different station so you'll find out which one you've been assigned when you go down for Phase 1

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

chippy12 wrote: »
    just a quick comment .do garda reserves get an id card to id them selfs when off duty if there unlucky enough to be somewhere if a crime takes place??? i no full time members have id cards??? apart from that i think the garda reserve is a great idea it takes a good person to stand on the front line and not get payed for it garda reserves well done .im hopeing to go into to the feb 2010 intake just wateing on a call never seems too come tho. full time after that hopefully in time.

also handy for the long weekend in coppers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭brotherrabbit

Yep you do it in the gym upstairs in the new building. Sorry forgot to say about the utility belt, need that too.

lads what gear do they provide.. I know you get the pants, shirts and vest and boots but how much of the belt gear is given:pac:
    And do they take you from scratch with the baton training? i was involved in martial arts so im no stranger to batons

Hi,

I know every station is different but how long on average is phase 2?
    Would I be right in saying 7 - 14 weeks?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

lads what gear do they provide.. I know you get the pants, shirts and vest and boots but how much of the belt gear is given:pac:
    And do they take you from scratch with the baton training? i was involved in martial arts so im no stranger to batons

Yes they take you from scratch for the baton training.
    You get peper spray when trained, asp baton when trained, mouth to mouth kit and handcuffs. open for correction!

yes i see.. id the baton signed in and out or do they just give you one? id be surprised if they let you take it home considering its a extremely dangerous weapon.
    is any training done on using the internal car equipment like ANPR and the lighting equipment or is that learned on the job!? cheers for all the advice lads. cant wait to start the training!:pac:

yes i see.. id the baton signed in and out or do they just give you one? id be surprised if they let you take it home considering its a extremely dangerous weapon.
    is any training done on using the internal car equipment like ANPR and the lighting equipment or is that learned on the job!? cheers for all the advice lads. cant wait to start the training!:pac:

No i dont think your trained to use the in car equipment. Thats learned on the job. But alot of reserves are detailed for beat duty and spend little time in the car, however when in the car your usually in the back seat as the observer is usually a full time member.

As for the baton, its yours and doesnt need to be signed in and out. I think your allowed to bring that home. In some busy stations lockers are in short supply so a reserve wouldnt get one. Therefore you have to bring your kit in and out. Otherwise your utility belt can be left in the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

Scouser wrote: »
    also handy for the long weekend in coppers :)

alrite scouser..

For flashing thhe badge in the Q is it?:D

And when you attested do you get any ID to say your a member? and on the training do they provide all the books and stuff? and is their many

Ya you get an official garda id card, the only difference is that you are certified as a Reserve Garda and not a Garda, and your photgraph is taken whilst wearing a shirt and tie, not a tunic. All books are provided, i think you get 1 or 2 folders and 2 books on law. Could be more tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭jc1980

How long is phase 2? I read somewhere its 8 weeks with 3hour lectures a week. Is that right? When does the college close up for summer?

Just thinkin if phase 1 is march, phase 2 is april/may then phase 3 would be around June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

jc1980 wrote: »
    How long is phase 2? I read somewhere its 8 weeks with 3hour lectures a week. Is that right? When does the college close up for summer?

Just thinkin if phase 1 is march, phase 2 is april/may then phase 3 would be around June

its usually around 8weeks in duration. I had 3 days of lectures, 3hours each. fairl extensive

again, different training sgts do things differently. some do more, some less. it varies

yes phase 1,2 and 3 follow each other consecutivly. be expecting to be starting in your station by the start to mid june. dont be afraid to request a station. If i were you, id pick the likes of Tallaght, Finglas, Blanchardstown or roxboro road or henry st. The busier the better in my opinion. graduation should be the end of november some time. phase 4 is quite long and drawn out. i know its 40hours min, but i did over 150 hours and id advise you to do the same. you can only learn so much in 40 hours so do more if you can. helps you integrate with the unit better also. no point going back after graduation and they dont know who you are

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭lawnmower1989

jc1980 wrote: »

first off,the college won't close at all....it aint a primary school :) i know this becuase i am been sent on courses this june and july. before you are sent home from phase one, you are given a contact number for a training guard or sergeant. your legal stuff starts around two weeks after this. if you are unlucky enough to be in dublin you do every page of the big book they give you and do 18 or 19 weeks fo stuff, twice a week for 3 hours. 57hours!!! i did about 10 hours, and got 100% in the exam. your phase 3 when you get your uniform and that for the march intake will be june or july, then you will be stationed and you will graduate in october or november. note that you will need to pass your self defence and handcuff tests and 2 roleplay exercises on the phase 3 weekend if you are to progress. and to graduate you need to pass everything, i think this includes the asp course, which is intense. i went down with 20, and only 11 passed...tough day. you will get your asp and cuffs then awith your badge when you graduate. hope none of yee have a sore throat going down as they will have you doing plenty of shouting...especially on the asp course...i could barely speak after that. apart form when your asked, just sit there and be quiet and listen and they will love you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

if you are unlucky enough to be in dublin you do every page of the big book they give you and do 18 or 19 weeks fo stuff, twice a week for 3 hours. 57hours!!! i did about 10 hours,

yeah Dublin folk do it right

10hours is not enough. thats why were prescribed to do over 50hours legal studies. and even at that i feel we could do with more

if you did 10, quite frankly you were conned out of your training program and if i were you, id be upset at such

how the hell can 10hours be sufficient to have working knowledge of the law on the street? and so what if you passed the exam. that will mean nothing when your out in the real world with your fulltime colleague who will have 18months of training under his/her belt with substantial knowlege of the law. by bragging about 10 hours, your selling the whole concept of the reserve short and your leaving yourself exposed

poor you

and my advice to any Reserve Students on here, if during your phase 2 you feel your lacking in time spent on text books, get it sorted. Dont be fobbed off with 'ah ya dont need this and ya dont need that' you need it all. the cirriculum is short and youll need every bit of time spent on your texts and you will need to have a good grasp of the law

no point going into your station and not having a clue what certain sections are

Advertisement