Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

clayton1 wrote: »
    yeah, wait til you get into your station. Different ball game then

We had those discussions a good few times already.... this subject only brings out arguments and even shut this tread for two days a few months ago... so lets keep away from this subject please..... sleeping dogs and all that..
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

How are people who entered phase 1 last month finding the lectures back in the training stations? How many evenings lectures do you attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

Spartan09 wrote: »
    How are people who entered phase 1 last month finding the lectures back in the training stations? How many evenings lectures do you attend?

.. in galway they do 4 lectures a week and condense the 56 hours into a one month space then you have a brake of the next month then the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

starman08 wrote: »
    .. in galway they do 4 lectures a week and condense the 56 hours into a one month space then you have a brake of the next month then the test

when we where doing it, they had us in the class room from 8hrs a day every sat and sunday and we finished 2weeks before the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭starman08

da__flash wrote: »
    when we where doing it, they had us in the class room from 8hrs a day every sat and sunday and we finished 2weeks before the exam.

Who knows which way is best.. cause the way we did it ate into college classes and into other peoples work shift patterns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

can any current GR's describe the goings on during Phase 3? what training is undertaken? (perhaps a PM, reports are varying from source to source!)

aslo, how long did phase 4 take for you? and how soon after phase 3 did you undertake it?

Scouser wrote: »
    can any current GR's describe the goings on during Phase 3? what training is undertaken? (perhaps a PM, reports are varying from source to source!)

aslo, how long did phase 4 take for you? and how soon after phase 3 did you undertake it?

phase 3 i think is back up to the college to be tested on roles plays and self defence and what not, its all pretty straight forward do. Phase 4 differs for everyone i know people that started the weekend after phase 3 some waited a month it depends on the person themselves

phase 3 i think is back up to the college to be tested on roles plays and self defence and what not, its all pretty straight forward do. Phase 4 differs for everyone i know people that started the weekend after phase 3 some waited a month it depends on the person themselves

is ASP and pepper spray done on that weekend?

or when is that training under taken?

is ASP and pepper spray done on that weekend?

or when is that training under taken?

No that will be done on a seperate day, well atleast it was for us. You ll have to go up there again for it

No that will be done on a seperate day, well atleast it was for us. You ll have to go up there again for it

cool, but was it done during phase 4 or after attestation?

• Advertisement

cool, but was it done during phase 4 or after attestation?

Depends when the college can fit you in to be honest with you

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

hey everone im back, and im on phase 4 woooo

Just completed phase 1 over the weekend, thoroughly enjoyable experience, all the Sergeants were really sound and really welcoming. The Police Self Defence classes were good craic and very practicle but god it hurts the day after. Not recommended to have too many pints in Polly's or elsewhere on the Friday night, some went a bit too far and paid for it on the saturday, understandably this does not go down well. Legal lectures now in phase 2 for the next 9 weeks, best of luck to all those hoping to get in for the next intake in Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnpaul6

Hi I know there is a lot of full time members on this site that may be able to answer my question, I am just awaiting to be called for medical, for garda reserve, but to my horror my home was raided this morning under the misuse of drugs act, now none of us family or friends would not even assioiate with anybody that has any thing to do with this field, now as the guards are concerner they executed their job to the highest standard they were professional, curtious, and pleasant in every manner, (however this is not a complaint) the boys had a job to do , I am just wondering that whoever furnished this false information had to go before a judge to abtain a warrant, should these not face purgery, or simular charge for wasting garda time, also this may affect my application? can I see anyone to have this removed from the system as the results were clear, or am i worrying over nothing, thank you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭SonnyB

Hello Im just curious as to know when the next garda intake is for the end of 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

Next Intake is September 3rd :)
    I'm Praying im in it :)

Next Intake is September 3rd :)
    I'm Praying im in it :)

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the next intake,
    I rang HQ to ask them when the next intake would be and they said Sept. but down in the College they said there would be an intake in July, Sept and Nov but I suppose HQ organise it all so I would probably go on their info. I hope you make the next intake, for all you out there waiting, its worth the wait in my opinion....!

Hey guys, can any of the reserves already attested clear up something for me. During training and once attested are you issued with the old wooden batton or did anyone do the asp training during one of the phases prior to attestation? Something else Ive read here somewhere, but now cant find it of course, was that once attested your sergeant organised for you to do the asp course at a later date? Any info / clarification would be most appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 reserve Garda

hey there is anyone passing out on friday comeing

when attested u get an asp

• Advertisement

did you do the asp training prior to being attested?

im being attested on friday and ya i did the asp months ago

Thanks for that, congragulations on being attested

thanks ,are u a reserve yourself or are you looking to get in to it

thanks ,are u a reserve yourself or are you looking to get in to it

In the middle of training at the moment, reason asked re asp is some confusion in class re when we get it. Enjoying the training thoroughly so far, was worth the long wait.

Actually while I think of it, for any serving reserve out there, Phase 4, general overview of what it was like. Were you sent out with 1/2 full timers, are you expected to observe only or if something is kicking off can you/should you assist (think I already know the common sense answer to this one). Any info / insights would be appreciated.

Actually while I think of it, for any serving reserve out there, Phase 4, general overview of what it was like. Were you sent out with 1/2 full timers, are you expected to observe only or if something is kicking off can you/should you assist (think I already know the common sense answer to this one). Any info / insights would be appreciated.

in regards to 1 or 2 full timers depends where you are and what your sergant sees fit for you to do.. You are there to observe but i all i ll say is use your common sense on that one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Don't over-do it and end up assaulting someone, just help out with restraining and the like.

Most important bit, keep yer thoughts to yourself, things are not always what they seem, the regulars deal with people that they have a lot of knowledge of and are well used to it, things will make sense in time when you know the ropes better.:cool:

lehanemore wrote: »
    Don't over-do it and end up assaulting someone, just help out with restraining and the like.

Most important bit, keep yer thoughts to yourself, things are not always what they seem, the regulars deal with people that they have a lot of knowledge of and are well used to it, things will make sense in time when you know the ropes better.:cool:

Thanks for that, seems like pretty sound advice, I'll be sure to take it on board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 johnpaul6

hi lads anyone know when the next intake is , for the reserves,

Advertisement