Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

RAIN wrote: »
    I stick with the Shepard default look. Everytime I tried to make my own face he looks like a douche.
    It's just too easy to make a joke there. :D

I'm blessed. In any game where you get to create a face, I can make a perfect replica of myself, I'm that bland. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

humanji wrote: »

I'm blessed. In any game where you get to create a face, I can make a perfect replica of myself, I'm that bland. :D

Hey... Lemons are anything but bland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

humanji wrote: »

God damn it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm not sure who my Sheperd looks like but he seems to have terrible eyesight, he runs around with a permanent squint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I always play it with the default Shepard, I tried creating a new face in ME1 with loads of scars and stuff, and started a new game, and as soon as he spoke, I had to get rid of him and go back to the original face, There is only one Commander Shepard, my impostor had to go.

Plus the default face of Shepard is way more detailed and realistic looking than anything we can knock up using the editor.
    AdMMM wrote: »
    just ended up with some horrid Peter Beardsley like monstronsity

Could not play it with that mug anyways, no way...and he would never get any "action" looking like that.

• Advertisement

Plus the default face shows up my renegade glowy scars just the way I like em :)

PS that little fable rip off rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

RAIN wrote: »
    Plus the default face shows up my renegade glowy scars just the way I like em :)

PS that little fable rip off rules!

I think Bioware got there first with that feature in Knights of the Old Republic, I think that came out before Fable. That game set the base for the Mass Effect games and it shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr.Slurm

Anyone know a good place to get the original Mass Effect cheap? It seems I'll have to buy that, so I can get the best out of Mass Effect 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I think Bioware got there first with that feature in Knights of the Old Republic, I think that came out before Fable. That game set the base for the Mass Effect games and it shows.

Yup, both KotOR and Jade Empire are well worth checking out for any Mass Effect fan who hasn't played them.

Never played KOTOR, only got an original Xbox about 3 months before I got a 360. I'm not proud of this fact so please don't spread it around.....

If thats true then yeah it still rocks and the little story element they use to account for it happening is also a nice little detail. Didn't get to play last night and I have been thinking about it all day!! Need to go home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You really learn a lot from playing this game. I'm such a sleazy horn dog for example!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The dancers in Afterlife eh??

Yep, I know how that feels.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Been trying to avoid getting this yet with all the other games I've to play as well, but its getting awfully hard with all the hype flying round.

However, have a question, about how long is the first playthrough taking people? Is it as long as ME1 (circa 25 hours)?

SK1979 wrote: »
    However, have a question, about how long is the first playthrough taking people? Is it as long as ME1 (circa 25 hours)?

My first ME1 save said 15 hours, I stuck more or less to the main plot with a few sidequests, can't remember what level I reached again, but I'm 20 hours into ME2 and I've only got my squad and am about 1/3 of the way through playing their little "resolution" missions. Have done a minor bit of exploring, but mostly sticking to main plot and character missions on my first playthrough.

It's a big game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Sweet, thanks for the reply, didn't realise it was that long. Have been trying not to read too many reviews to avoid spoilers so had no idea of the length!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

http://www.infoaddict.com/the-many-failures-of-mass-effect-2
    the many flaws of mass effect 2
    , I have to agree with nearly everything in the above link....but I still bloody love it.....sci fi nerd thing i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I logged about 32-34 hours for my first play through, full squad and that. It all depends what you want to do I guess.

Anyone else let down by the ending compared to ME1?

markfla wrote: »
    http://www.infoaddict.com/the-many-failures-of-mass-effect-2
    the many flaws of mass effect 2
    , I have to agree with nearly everything in the above link....but I still bloody love it.....sci fi nerd thing i guess

I would agree with a lot of that too, the "hacking" minigames were fun...once, they don't make it any harder like the lock picking in oblivion (in fact they make it easier with an upgrade), so in the end they become a trivial, time wasting exercise.

As for subtitled alien speech, well yeah Star Wars had that but in Star Trek nearly everyone spoke english (yes, universal translator excuse) but it never made any of the cultures feel less alien. Poor writing could do that for a lot of them.

Mass Effect 2's scores are a worrying symptom of modern video game journalism. Too many palms need to be greased and noses browned. Don't get me wrong, Mass Effect 2 was an excellent game for me, but so was Mass Effect and I don't really see how the scores from some reviewers (Edge, Eurogamer) are so different between the two.

28Hours in now, and loving this as much as the 1st one.

I didn't like the streamlining of the RPG elements at first, I don't mind it now, it keeps the game moving nicely, where as in ME1 and Dragon Age, I could lose 10/15 minutes equipping stuff on party members. Thankfully the conversation system is fully intact, and improved with the interrupts,
    The good cop bad cop bit was class.

Some weapons and Armour stats and comparisons would have been nice, you just have to use them, and see which ones you like. Hate the way the helmet is automatically removed in conversation, because of this, I am sticking with the N7 armour for main missions.

I have everyone recruited now with the exception of one,
    Legion
    . And its time to head for the IFF Device. Is there much left in the game once I start this mission??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SionnachOghma

All the trouble I went to chatting up
    Tali
    and when it happens you still don't get to
    see what she looks like.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

CKWPORT wrote: »
    And its time to head for the IFF Device. Is there much left in the game once I start this mission??

After you complete the IFF mission a time limit comes into effect. You can still scan away but if you do a mission or land anywhere then the time starts ticking down or so I've heard. You have to go through the Omega relay fast or else some of your non-squad members will die and you won't have a perfect ending. So if you want to explore, leave IFF until last.

Cheers for that....Better do any side missions before heading here so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Finished it today. Excellent game, a little disappointed I hit the level 30 cap on my first go through. Although I did import an ME1 level 60 character which gave me 5 extra levels at the start.

Clocked in at just under 36 hours and I scanned the entire galaxy doing little side missions.

Going to do my Renegade insane run now.

In regards the iff mission
    what happens is you get a choice to go straight to the collector base or leave it a bit, for the perfect ending you have to go straight away

That spoiler is the least spoiler I could come up with without giving away what happens wih the IFF mission

rizzla wrote: »
    Finished it today. Excellent game, a little disappointed I hit the level 30 cap on my first go through. Although I did import an ME1 level 60 character which gave me 5 extra levels at the start.

Clocked in at just under 36 hours and I scanned the entire galaxy doing little side missions.

Going to do my Renegade insane run now.
    Currently doing the same thing myself. Damn my achievement whoreness

rizzla wrote: »

So 36 hours if you do everything....Not too bad, I can take the full day Saturday again and play it, as long as I can stay away from it till then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

All the trouble I went to chatting up
    Tali
    and when it happens you still don't get to
    see what she looks like.

:mad::mad::mad:
    I thought she wore the mask to stop from dying from infections and stuff, not to cover up her face...

I'm torn between going for Merissa and Jack (didn't even consider Jack until my assistant mentioned that she's easy:P)
    Enjoying it loads at the moment, even if it does seem way too streamlined at times.

Love some of the renegade QTE scenes as well - playing through it as paragon, but I just can't resist hitting RT every time one comes up!

tman wrote: »
    I thought she wore the mask to stop from dying from infections and stuff, not to cover up her face...

I'm torn between going for Merissa and Jack (didn't even consider Jack until my assistant mentioned that she's easy:P)
    Enjoying it loads at the moment, even if it does seem way too streamlined at times.

Love some of the renegade QTE scenes as well - playing through it as paragon, but I just can't resist hitting RT every time one comes up!
    Jack has a renegade and paragon sex scene, when she asks is it just sex if yu say sounds good to me she'll do ya, the paragon one she'll come in as you're going for the omega 4 relay, you've to take her side when she argues with miranda. Oh you can also score the psychatrist one beside the galaxy map

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Started this last night in a flash 2 1/2 hours had passed and i had to go to bed but i was blown away. Very impressive game.

I never finished the first one do i really need to finish it or have i allready ruined the story by starting the 2nd game ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SionnachOghma

tman wrote: »

Yeah, but she comes up with a temporary solution
    to the infections and such, by basically loading herself up with antibiotics and herbal supplements, so she can lose the suit & mask for a short time.
    Even so, when you hook up,
    the mask comes off, but her face isn't shown onscreen.

All buildup and no payoff. Should have just gone with crazy Jack. Can't imagine she disappoints.

Advertisement