Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level Francais

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Teacher 28

You're all very welcome to look at any notes i put up earlier: Teacher 28 is my username. Ideally, 3/4 page for each opinion Q of good QUALITY french - i.e. simple, correct French. Learn off the phrases that are flexible.

Wishing you all the very best. I've been teaching French 7 years now - i will be honest and say that those written pieces are a pain i n the ass!!

Bonne Chance!! James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Teacher 28

Listening: Weather ... inondation (flood), des averses (showers), la pluie (rain)

des éclaircies ( sunny ) BUT des éclairs ( lightening) La foudre also means lightening

If a number is mentioned, scribble it down in wors in french in the margin and come back to it later

• Registered Users Posts: 3 0418161

Hi everyone

Best of luck tomorrow. I have been correcting higher level french for several years and just wanted to let you know that you are never penalised for writing too much. In fact I would encourage students to write more than the suggested word count in order to get better marks. Students getting A's and hight B's rarely write only 75 or 90 words!

Also it is vital that your answer is relevant to the question asked. Irrelevant material, however good the french, will get a maximum of 14/40 or 10/30

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Hey, i think its just one of those phrases that the french people can change to suit prononciation etc. Say, for the phrase "its not fair" you'd say "C'est pas juste", not "Ce n'est pas juste", even tho the 2nd is more correct. Don't hold me to that but our teacher gave it to us, i've used it on every test and in the mocks and its never been questioned! :)

EDIT: Or, what fluorescence said ^^^ :p

The use of "ne" is this situation is known as the 'expletive' or 'non-negative ne'. We wouldn't really have an English equivalent but it is basically used when the action being taken may have a negative consequence. You could kind of say that it means "before it won't be too late" in this situation if that makes it easier to understand but that's not really it exactly. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much tbh.

Bonne chance!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

Mr.S wrote: »
    Well that was nice and easy :pac:

Roll on Aural in an hour!

Written....piss easy, Aural....piss easy, couldnt have gone any better!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bananahammock

Well i thought that was great! Listening was piss compared to other years...thank god for an okay paper after the engl paper two and stair na Gaeilge fiasco's...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

wow that was a nice paper.the aural had a tricky question or two but the written stuff was very good and the comprehensions!wow i am in awe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Yeh, very happy with it all!!

No major hiccups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

Really nice, I knew I should have prepared environment and internet :o. The listening was grand so that was the job!!!! Hopefully I'll get my C3. COME ON!!! :D

btw guys was it A in the 1st comprehension and C in the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dmullar

Easiest reading comprehensions I've ever done!:D

I thought the paper went really well, much better than expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Alexl

The aural was so easy, first comprehension was a doddle. Couldn't have been a nicer paper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

:D C'était juste formidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Elli-May

Listening was loooovely

topics for written were grand and so was first reading comprehension.
    Thought the second one was a bit tricky though having to change words around and stuff but should be prepared for that anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

that was awful easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Loved the paper! Had prepared some stuff on the internet, and I play trad music so I'd loads of vocab from my oral for Q2, and sport was easy to talk about! So very happy overall.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

ImJohn wrote: »
    Really nice, I knew I should have prepared environment and internet :o. The listening was grand so that was the job!!!! Hopefully I'll get my C3. COME ON!!! :D

btw guys was it A in the 1st comprehension and C in the other?

C in the first (they found it hard work)

A in the second (fear of whatever it was)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

What an easy paper. There was no "racism" or "drugs" topics, I could just make it up as I went along.

The Aural should have been easy, but it started lashing rain in the middle of it (the roof was made of galvanize, there was a huge echo). No-one could hear it. The SEC was rang, but they wouldn't allow the examiner to play it again. She said she was going to write a report. I hope we get marked easier...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 H_2_Da_Izzo

Very nice! :) The last bit of the aural, i thought cartable was map, but I knew I was wronf because why would they be giving maps to kids affected by a tornado?! :pac: And I found out it meant school bag! Otherwise, it went fantastic! Now, I have until monday to study physics. Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭coffey-16

Very nice! :) The last bit of the aural, i thought cartable was map, but I knew I was wronf because why would they be giving maps to kids affected by a tornado?! :pac: And I found out it meant school bag! Otherwise, it went fantastic! Now, I have until monday to study physics. Sweet!

I also thought cartable was a map.....and now also have untill monday to study for physics:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Could we have gotten an easier paper? I think not.

I got maybe two answers in the listening wrong, where she put her handbag and what they sent to children.(Forgot what cartable meant) Put down boxes of school supplies.

Oh well, everything else went good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

The paper was really good. Comprehensions were so easy and written pieces were very straightforward. I didn't do as well in the listening though. I've never been good at it. I'm hoping I get a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

That was the nicest paper ever!

I was 50/50 whether I was gonna drop to OL.

I didnt :D

Might has well have been OL!

You know that amazing feeling everyone got when they finished Irish paper 2 and resolved never to speak the language again? (That kinda skipped me, I intend to using it in life) but that's how I feel right now! NEVER EVER using French again :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Copy 'n paste from other thread :)

That was the nicest paper ever!

I was 50/50 whether I was gonna drop to OL.

I didnt :D

Might has well have been OL!

You know that amazing feeling everyone got when they finished Irish paper 2 and resolved never to speak the language again? (That kinda skipped me, I intend to using it in life) but that's how I feel right now! NEVER EVER using French again :D:D:D:D

I presumed it meant "Cartable" or whatever, meant crate, because you really give maps full of school supplies to kids :pac:

What does it mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Ha ye that was easy enuf... Should get my C3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What a beautiful paper. This is the first exam I'm proprly happy with. What lovely essay questions, I did the ones where you didn't really have to have specific vocab, the Internet, Journal and 2019 ones. The aural was wonderfully simple too, I'm really happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tughfc

you know there going to just mark really hard because of that whole same amount of a's b's c's d's malark!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭7Steve

Fad wrote: »

I presumed it meant "Cartable" or whatever, meant crate, because you really give maps full of school supplies to kids :pac:

What does it mean?

I'm pretty sure it either means bag or schoolbag. I wrote down schoolbag.
    tughfc wrote: »
    you know there going to just mark really hard because of that whole same amount of a's b's c's d's malark!!

it doesnt have to be like that. Anyway, there are always them fools he leave after an hour, cus they think they've enough written. They'll be the ones getting the lower marks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

tughfc wrote: »

I was just thinking about that when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I thought cartables were copies, hmmmm, crap I said school euqipement and copies. where did your one leave her bag and what was she talking to her collete about??

I did crap. it was a nice paper though if you're able to do french, but I'm just awful. hopefully the comprehensions and listening will save me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

she left her bag at the corner of a wall, the question about collete's brother:s and of course I said cartable was a map too :PThe written was good though.

Advertisement