Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level Francais

Options
  • 09-06-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

What is everyone looking at in terms of the topical reaction section? Racism, environment, recession etc? If anyone could post up and vocab they have on the dangers of underage drinking, drugs etc, that'd be great.

Not too worried about the paper, to be honest. The oral went okay already, and the comprehensions are normally fine. Just a bit worried about the reaction pieces. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Yeah, the reaction pieces are defo the hardest part. Isn't it kinda tipped that La Crise Financiere will make an appearance? And the usual stuff, solidarite, la drogue, la tabagisme, les jeunes, la celebrite?

(Sorry for lack of accents)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

super.. I asked my teacher to go over vocab on money & recession and bitta politics & Barack, course we didn't..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ice_cream

Anyone know anywhere good to get vocab on the recession...we never did it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

ice_cream wrote: »

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

ice_cream wrote: »

I'm feeling fabulously genereuse :D and i need to get into the *French Zone*

La recession economique:
    La crise economique en Irlande actuellement atteint un niveau critique a mes yeux. Il est impossible de nos jours d'allumer la tele ou d'ouvrir le journal quotidien sans entendre parler de la recession. Elle fait toujours la une. On ne peut pas s'y echapper.

Le taux de chomage est un augmentation constante et a l'heure actualle un sur dix est sans emploi en Irlande.

Le valeur des maisons tombe chaque jour et l'industrie de construction est morte.

Les banques principales refusent maintenant de preter de l'argent et on n'arrive plus a s'acheter une maison.

Des milleurs de shoppeurs traversent la frontiere chaque jout pour faire les achats comme les prix au sud sont trop eleves.

Que faut-il faire?
    Il faut que le gouvernement agisse avant qu'il ne soit trop tard.
    Il faut elever les impots.
    Il faut punir severement ces banquires negligents qui ont entraine ce crise.

Sorry for the lack of accents :( They're just the main points, you can just expand on them with general phrases etc

Hope it helps :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Here's some phrases for L'Irlande Contemporaine/ La Crise économique

Le gouvernement devrait soutenir les enterprises financièrement pour que le chômage n'augmente pas.

Le governement devrait combattre la crise économique plus activement.

La crise économique est un réel desastre pour le pays.

Le pays est au point mort depuis début de l'année.

Beaucoup de personnes se retrouvent au chômage / sans emploi.

Certains se retrouvent à la rue sans rien / ils perdent tout.

Tous les efforts d'une vie réduis à néant / en miettes/ anéantis.

Les économies de la population fondent comme neige au soleil.

Si j'étais chef d'Etat, je ferais le nécessaire pour que les industries continuent de se développer.

Je donnerais un coup de pouce aux petites compagnies.

Je mettrais plus en valeur le patrimnie nationale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Not being funny guys but in fairness if your desperate for French this late take the OL paper. High risk of failing French if you don't know your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

Kurtza wrote: »
    Not being funny guys but in fairness if your desperate for French this late take the OL paper. High risk of failing French if you don't know your stuff.

Comprehensions and the aural should get you by though... Right? I'm fairly average at the production ecrite section...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

I disagree. 3% of people fail HL french.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I disagree too, I did sooo bad in the written stuff in the mock and I still got 60%, am I bit worried though cos I did crap in the oral

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Casok

http://www.sceolan.com/forum/viewforum.php?forum_id=239

It's F*CKIN CLASS!! From a gaeltacht teacher tho but its all in french anyway so doesnt matter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

How is everyone approaching the written stuff? Learning sentences/paragraphs off? Learning grammar and vocab and just writing on the day like in English?

I'm going for a mix. I can write pretty confidently, I'm gonna learn a few more 'stock phrases', stuff like subjunctives and all. I usually try to show off pronouns and use passe compose and imperfect stuff.

What's the general concensus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

can anyone put up phrases for the journal intime?
    I'm preparing role of women, racism and the recession

another q: in the journal intime I was told to do two accounts, expressing a change of mood between the two. is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Shirley the oral, worth 25%, and the aural, and decent comprehensions should get you by? The comprehensions, IIRC, are worth more (120) than the written stuff (100).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I'll do a bit of both like yourself I'd say. Thanks for the recession stuff lads *yoink* How about some problems of society stuff? My teacher is useless, she gives us handouts on stuff like the loft(french BB) and weird racism poems? :confused: Not exactly helpful. I'm almost the only person in a class of 26 who isn't getting grinds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭imfreein09

does anyone want to help me.. im dead for tomo., where shoud i start im a weak student lik got 48 in my mocks please some genuine advice or if you could send me topics or post up stuff.. thanks:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 predominanantly

Is there anywhere to get the answers for the listening past papers? I'm practicing now.. seeing as I haven't actually practiced since the mock and I'd like to check.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

You can get the marking schemes at www.examinations.ie which has the answers (obviously) in them lol!

Anyone know how much we're ACTUALLY required to write for the opinion pieces? They say 90words and 75 words but I think we all know that's a lie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Anyone have anything on the internet or the dangers of it?

I've been asking for it in vain for the past week:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

You can get the marking schemes at www.examinations.ie which has the answers (obviously) in them lol!

Anyone know how much we're ACTUALLY required to write for the opinion pieces? They say 90words and 75 words but I think we all know that's a lie :rolleyes:
    Try 100 words each, should be fine.

• Advertisement

Oral = 25%
    Aural = 20%
    Comprehensions = 30%
    Journal Intime/Letter = 7.5%

Adds up to 82.5%, without any knowledge on the recession or drugs or whatever else. If you're in trouble with the written expression theres still no reason not to pass

Well I wouldn't write much more than that or else you'll be penalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 electriks

I'm feeling fabulously genereuse :D and i need to get into the *French Zone*

La recession economique:
    La crise economique en Irlande actuellement atteint un niveau critique a mes yeux. Il est impossible de nos jours d'allumer la tele ou d'ouvrir le journal quotidien sans entendre parler de la recession. Elle fait toujours la une. On ne peut pas s'y echapper.

Le taux de chomage est un augmentation constante et a l'heure actualle un sur dix est sans emploi en Irlande.

Le valeur des maisons tombe chaque jour et l'industrie de construction est morte.

Les banques principales refusent maintenant de preter de l'argent et on n'arrive plus a s'acheter une maison.

Des milleurs de shoppeurs traversent la frontiere chaque jout pour faire les achats comme les prix au sud sont trop eleves.

Que faut-il faire?
    Il faut que le gouvernement agisse avant qu'il ne soit trop tard.
    Il faut elever les impots.
    Il faut punir severement ces banquires negligents qui ont entraine ce crise.

Sorry for the lack of accents :( They're just the main points, you can just expand on them with general phrases etc

Hope it helps :D

If ur still on line thanks v much. tes phrases sont fantastique. merci beaucoup:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Teacher 28

Hi everyone - I'm a French Teacher.

Good luck to everyone but guys - be careful. Pupils always learn off lttle essays, but looking at past papers... anything can come up. Drugs, Racsim etc rarely come up. Have a bank of phrases:

Je suis d'accord avec cette affirmation = I agree with this statement

X est un gros probleme de nos jours = X is a big prob. nowadays

Tout le monde sait que X est un fléau aujourd'hui = Everyone knows X is a scourge today

Make ur essay PERSONAL ... Je, je, je!! Pretend you suffer from the problem or you bro / sis!! ... Je suis accro a la drogue = i'm addicted ..

Qu'est-ce qu'on peut faire pour résoudre le probleme? = Solution?

Tout d'abord, le gouvernement DEVRAIT faire quelquechose = 1st of all, the govt ought to do s/thing

Il faut introduire une nouvelle loi = must intro. a new law

Good luck all.

electriks wrote: »
    If ur still on line thanks v much. tes phrases sont fantastique. merci beaucoup:)

Yup, im still here! I'd thank my teacher, she is such a star :D
    Any other topic ya want, so i can pretend to be studying french while browsing boards?! :)

Teacher 28 wrote: »

Make ur essay PERSONAL ... Je, je, je!! Pretend you suffer from the problem or you bro / sis!! ... Je suis accro a la drogue = i'm addicted ..

Ha! I love that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭lorna100

Good luck to everyone but guys - be careful. Pupils always learn off lttle essays, but looking at past papers... anything can come up. Drugs, Racsim etc rarely come up. Have a bank of phrases:

Tout le monde sait que X est un fléau aujourd'hui = Everyone knows X is a scourge today

Tout d'abord, le gouvernement DEVRAIT faire quelquechose = 1st of all, the govt ought to do s/thing

Good luck all.

thanks!
    for the journal intime i was told to do two different entries, showing a change of mood between them. Is that what you would recommend? Only decided to do the journal intime yesterday and am a bit lost with it. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Good luck all.

2 posts since june 2008!
    the teacher only comes out of the ward drobe once a year before the french exam to offer advice!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Good luck all.

Thank you very much.

I was listening to countdown on 306 and we are penalised ie marks taken away instead of just not being given, for answering questions such as those on the comprehensions wrongly.

I read the last Chief Examiners report on French and the commen theme throughout was saying a lot of students didnt get a lot of marks because they tried to put in material they had learned off that wasn't relevant.

It said you will easily get marks for bad grammer, but a relevant spontaneous answer instead of a obivously pre planned answer that isn't strictly relevant.

• Advertisement

Does this have any grammatical mistakes? j'adhère totalement avec cet point de vue

Sorry, it's been a LONG time since I've done any French :p

Advertisement