Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jenizzle wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading to this from my N81 - what will be the biggest changes I'll notice?

QWERTY slider, big high res touch screen, different OS, fantastic web browser, proper multitasking,...loads of stuff really! Still love mine, still can't believe what it can do, and it's so cheap on O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

jenizzle wrote: »
    Thinking of upgrading to this from my N81 - what will be the biggest changes I'll notice?

I was going to say that you will notice all the girls starting to look at you... but thats probably not the case in your case

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

samhail wrote: »
    I was going to say that you will notice all the girls starting to look at you... but thats probably not the case in your case

Not quite what I was aiming for, thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

GUTTED! :mad:

took the n900 out of my pocket this afternoon to find that the inner screen (the lcd itself, not the outer glass) is cracked right through the middle. :eek:

fecks sake, i've only had it a week. :(

there's just aren't enough sad smilies to express my feelings right now.

i had an n97 in the same pocket for the last x months (back to august) and aside from the chrome coming off the side and the keylock netting caught on a bit of cotton in a jeans pocket and snapped off (it's really flimsy on the n97) there isn't a mark on it and the screen is perfect.

dammit, not a happy bunny at all.

there's no marks on the outer screen and i have no idea how it even happened, it was in my pocket on its own.

anyone know the deal with getting repairs from nokia?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

On another note, I'm just after noticing a small crack or mark on the lcd on mine. It's not that noticeable but it's still annoying. I'm not impressed. :(
    vibe666 wrote: »

took the n900 out of my pocket this afternoon to find that the inner screen (the lcd itself, not the outer glass) is cracked right through the middle. :eek:

fecks sake, i've only had it a week. :(

there's just aren't enough sad smilies to express my feelings right now.

i had an n97 in the same pocket for the last x months (back to august) and aside from the chrome coming off the side and the keylock netting caught on a bit of cotton in a jeans pocket and snapped off (it's really flimsy on the n97) there isn't a mark on it and the screen is perfect.

dammit, not a happy bunny at all.

there's no marks on the outer screen and i have no idea how it even happened, it was in my pocket on its own.

anyone know the deal with getting repairs from nokia?

I wonder if thats the same thing that happened to the cush?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And there's no otterbox defender for the N900 yet either. Closest I could find was this metal case:
    51BRK7zz3eL._SS400_.jpg

And it doesn't look like it'd protect the screen.

Belt case or jacket pocket I guess. The e71 doesn't have this problem, but that's probably because of the smaller screen - the larger you make them, the weaker they get.

Sparks wrote: »
    And there's no otterbox defender for the N900 yet either. Closest I could find was this metal case:
    51BRK7zz3eL._SS400_.jpg

And it doesn't look like it'd protect the screen.

Belt case or jacket pocket I guess. The e71 doesn't have this problem, but that's probably because of the smaller screen - the larger you make them, the weaker they get.

I don't think i'd even bother with a case like that. I've seen a review of something similar and it makes an already massive phone even bigger, which i don't know i could live with. I'm always worried i'll fall on it or something though...(I'm the clumsy type!) as of yet it's still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I wonder if thats the same thing that happened to the cush?
    just noticed that if you hold it to the light, you can make out a tiny dent in the outer screen, so it looks like it was dented in by something. not sure what tho, i would have thought i'd have remembered it.

only thing i can think is that i was struggling to get into the car with 2 bags of shopping last night so maybe it could have happened then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

When I put the phone in the pocket, I always make sure that the screen is facing inwards..

Maybe drop it into a repair centre and see what happens. They might help you out considering it is virtually new.

Or:

http://www.mobile-phone-lcd.com/n900-lcd-br-oem-part-4850238-hr-ideu-p-331.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

just noticed that if you hold it to the light, you can make out a tiny dent in the outer screen, so it looks like it was dented in by something. not sure what tho, i would have thought i'd have remembered it.

only thing i can think is that i was struggling to get into the car with 2 bags of shopping last night so maybe it could have happened then. :(
    So sorry to hear about the damage :( I suppose there's an advantage to handbags for phone protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Dude thats a kicker.

Where did you buy the device?

For the guys who keep their phones in their pockets, maybe this, or something similar, is an option for protection? With the large vulnerable screen, keeping a phone like the N900 in a tight pocket without some kind of cover might not be a good idea. Just a thought .... I'd hate to see anyone else suffering a loss like vibe's.

I did look at buying one of those cases, ithink it'd just annoy me though, having to take it out of the case to answer a call. I don't know, maybe i will, i suppose it's a small price to pay for keeping my n900 prestine...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

god's toy wrote: »
    Dude thats a kicker.

Where did you buy the device?

This is going to temper your pity somewhat I imagine. He got two free, along with a free holiday to New York and a **** load of cash off of Nokia...

Still a kick in the balls! Have been there too. Lost the original N95 about a month after buying it sim free at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

^^^ well i guess thats not as bad as spending the boat load of cash most people have on these phones still a pain in the ass though sorry man :(
    so any idea's on good screen protectors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

This is going to temper your pity somewhat I imagine. He got two free, along with a free holiday to New York and a **** load of cash off of Nokia...

Still a kick in the balls! Have been there too. Lost the original N95 about a month after buying it sim free at launch.
    ,Ah well then i suppose the old saying ''you win some and lose some'' kinda fits.,
    But jokes aside its still a kick in the nads and this story if anything has made me take better care of mine when it's in my poket.
    Hope its sorted out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 seldone

anyone had any experience with Gtranslate?Finally got it to install and love it but I cant seem to copy and paste as there are no tabs for this on the one I installed ..Any ideas. bricked mine last week also .what a scare .manage to flash it though.use it for traveling everywhere and has now replaced the laptop.expensive but lite. Cheers

Just installed gtranslate there to see what it's like. Pretty cool stuff, and it has copy and paste tabs built into it?

I don't know if it's me going mad or what, but i changed back to the "blue" theme, with default water background and the whole device has been much faster since! And that was two days ago. Weird. And i was only using the other in-built "orange" theme.

finally o2 got some stock :) just ordered my free 3 sim as well :) happy days

finally o2 got some stock :) just ordered my free 3 sim as well :) happy days

Happy days :) Did you get the discount?

• Advertisement

nah couldnt get the discount for some reason even asked about it but it must be over :( however 469 euro is a very good deal for an unlocked (better be like they said :) ) n900

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

After you download a game console emulator, where then do you get the games from?

podge018 wrote: »
    After you download a game console emulator, where then do you get the games from?

Google is a good start! Can't exactly tell you here.

anyone know what the deal with o2 postage will be like this week? if i order at 12 tonight will i get my phone this week or will it get caught up in the easter craziness? another thing is o2 postage insured by o2 say if my phone got lost over the weekend due to easter would o2 have to offer me a new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Those protective cases are bulky and ugly.

But one saved my N97 a few months ago when it went bouncing down some concrete steps.

...mind you more recently i've felt like throwing it down those steps
    w/o that case... but i digress.

Insurance?

Of course i obviously meant insurance for damage... not loss.

nah couldnt get the discount for some reason even asked about it but it must be over :( however 469 euro is a very good deal for an unlocked (better be like they said :) ) n900
    That's a shame :( The promotion was valid until 31st March and all you had to do was enter O2COUPON in the box at the checkout. The CS agents would not have known about it - heck, they didn't even know about their own pricing system when I contacted them. This was the site where the information on the discount was. I had no problem and neither did my cousin - discount applied right away.
    Still, you'll definitely enjoy using your new phone :)

hey Domscard are you using the o2 sim in your n900? im just wondering is it branded with o2 software or anything or is it completely factory unlocked?
    also is ireland getting these firmware updates and are they coming through the network providers or over the web by nokia?

hey Domscard are you using the o2 sim in your n900? im just wondering is it branded with o2 software or anything or is it completely factory unlocked?
    also is ireland getting these firmware updates and are they coming through the network providers or over the web by nokia?

I'm not using the O2 sim that came with the phone - I'm using Vodafone, though I must use up the initial 'free' credit I got of €5. It came unlocked and unbranded. I was thinking of moving to O2 but there was some doubt about the cost of roaming (since resolved) that made me switch back to Vodafone. Since there is now €130 'free' credit with O2 purchases, you may want to avail of that with them, though you'll have to top up to get it (every month?)
    As for the updates - there was one due when I received the phone and it downloaded/installed no bother. There's another one due shortly and I've no reason to believe there would be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    sorry i meant you had the ca 116 small pin type cable which comes with the later ck7w kits, there is nothing availible for that connection you have and the old type ck7w doea not support the new type cable, so you would have to change the control box and cable. (old type kit came in blue and white box. new type in white and green.)

Cheers Mate. I'll just have to go ahead and disconnect the ugly loose cable and go back to the old cigarette lighter charger.

• Advertisement

thanks Domscard this must be first phone i have ever heard of being factory unlocked and for sale from o2 :) any apps you would recomend?

Advertisement