Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sky King wrote: »
    Here is my latest. It's electronic of course, but don't expect jackin beats at 120!! It's very much verse chorus verse and downtempo. Love to hear peoples opinions though.

Let's be having ye!!:

https://soundcloud.com/johankalifornski/silakosis

Cool job. Kind of reminiscent of New Order or Depeche Mode remix.
    Nicely out together but the kick sounds a bit weak IMO. Just seems a little bit swmaped by the bassline and snare.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Here is my latest. It's electronic of course, but don't expect jackin beats at 120!! It's very much verse chorus verse and downtempo. Love to hear peoples opinions though.

Let's be having ye!!:

https://soundcloud.com/johankalifornski/silakosis

Nice track man. Love the vocals and bass! I'd like a a bit more reverb on the vocals though just to make them sound spacey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Thanks guys!!

Mordeith I know what you mean about the kick - and I gave it a bit of thought. Because it's not a dance track per se I think a stronger kick would be overpowering.. it would detract from the vox a bit... whereas in a house tune you need it there to drive the whole thing. Just my opinion of course!!

and keithkk I totally agree with you about the spacey vox... that was the effect i was sort of going for actually!!, but the problem with reverb is when you add more of it it is washes the individual sounds away you can't make out individual words... which is something that I hate.

I hate mixing my own vocals too!! I am not a great singer, so I am very glad you said you liked them - am pure paranoid about it ha ha!¬!

and keithkk I totally agree with you about the spacey vox... that was the effect i was sort of going for actually!!, but the problem with reverb is when you add more of it it is washes the individual sounds away you can't make out individual words... which is something that I hate.

Just on the subject of reverb you could always go for a compromise and use an automation enevelope to add reverb at the end of each line where there's a break before the the next vocal comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

• Advertisement

Ravenholm wrote: »

I wouldn't be into synth pop really but the track sounds well prodcued and nicely arranged. I am a sucker for the Simmons drum fill at 3.29 though. :)

Cool track lad, nice 80's vibe to it. I would like a bit more of the low end to come through and maybe take the top end off the kick to get rid of that wee click, starts to sound a bit annoying once the track starts going and takes the sound away from the snare.

That's a nice track. Like the style a lot... it's crying out for a vocal though, wouldn't you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

That's a nice track. Like the style a lot... it's crying out for a vocal though, wouldn't you say?

thanks, yes my friend wants to sing on it in a Phil Oakey sytyle :D

Wee preview of something new from myself
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/youpreview

• Advertisement

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Wee preview of something new from myself
    https://soundcloud.com/stream

Link just directs to homepage

mordeith wrote: »
    Link just directs to homepage

ah fixed now https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/youpreview

Nice analog sound to the drums which adds a nice groove. I'm not sure about the second kick that comes in at 0.48 (if that's what you've done). Just sounds a bit discordant.
    Nice funky bassline but I think the snare could do with being a bit sharper. I like the snare rolls though. Someting a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

Love the drums...kinda what i wanted to start doing with my own music when i get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Did you record real drum playing for this?

I like the real sounding drums ... then again I am a drummer so i am always going to like drums :pac:. I think they need to be clearer in the mix though - did you spend much time mixing this? It needs tightening up. Makings of a daycent track in there though all the same.

I did a DIY video for my tune posted above - what do yiz reckon??

I like the real sounding drums ... then again I am a drummer so i am always going to like drums :pac:. I think they need to be clearer in the mix though - did you spend much time mixing this? It needs tightening up. Makings of a daycent track in there though all the same.

I recorded the drums with just two overhead mics so it's really hard to make them all stand out separately. In what way do they need to stand out? Is it the snare or hi hats or are do they need to be eqed better?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

New track, not really sure what genre it is, I suppose Bass would be the closest thing. A friend gave a bash of mixing it, still needs some work though imo. Anyway have a listen and let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/shane_bradley/koranyi

I recorded the drums with just two overhead mics so it's really hard to make them all stand out separately. In what way do they need to stand out? Is it the snare or hi hats or are do they need to be eqed better?

You would probably find it hard to eq them if you're only using two channels
    I am no expert on recording acoustic drums but if i was mixing a track I would want at least 4 drum channels - kick, snare, hats and overhead (i.e. crash)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

hey does anyone know how to make a sample transpose digitally rather than just being sped up when creating a midi track with it in Sampler

lb1997 wrote: »
    hey does anyone know how to make a sample transpose digitally rather than just being sped up when creating a midi track with it in Sampler

Anything in this?

Plumpynutt wrote: »
    New track, not really sure what genre it is, I suppose Bass would be the closest thing. A friend gave a bash of mixing it, still needs some work though imo. Anyway have a listen and let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/shane_bradley/koranyi

Lots of old skool drum sounds. I think the snare is a bit dull sounding or there's a bit too much reverb on it. Either way it doesn't sound tight in comprison with the sharp hh. I quiet like the organ sounds during the breakdown.
    I've only listened to this on headphones but the bass sounds well heavy. I'd be guessing it might be too much on a system but I'll play it through my amp and speakers at home later to see for sure (as I could be talking through my ass!)
    The arrangment doesn't vary a hufe amount so maybe shortening the length might be an idea.

nope not specifically, im startin to think it may not be possible,, atleast in live 8. .

lb1997 wrote: »
    nope not specifically, im startin to think it may not be possible,, atleast in live 8. .

So what exactly are you trying to achiev? You can transpose the pitch of a sample without adjusting the length, but is this not what you are talking about? (sorry If I'm being a bit dense)

I think he wants to use the sampler to play various pitches of the same sample like an instruemnt. You can do this if you have the full version of Live 8. I use Live 8.

Basically, instead of using sampler, just load a drum rack onto a MIDI track and then drag all the samples into the empty slots on the drum rack. You will notice that the slots on the drum rack correspond to keys on your keyboard

Once you have this done - double click the sample in each slot and transpose it accordingly. This should not affect the speed that the sample plays at, only the pitch.

So what exactly are you trying to achiev? You can transpose the pitch of a sample without adjusting the length, but is this not what you are talking about? (sorry If I'm being a bit dense)

nope that is what i mean but i want to be able to do it within sampler so i can control the pitch with a keyboard to make it easier to experiment with. sampler, it seems, will only adjust the pitch by changing the speed of the sample

only seen sky kings post now, thats exactly what i was trying to do

I think he wants to use the sampler to play various pitches of the same sample like an instruemnt. You can do this if you have the full version of Live 8. I use Live 8.

Basically, instead of using sampler, just load a drum rack onto a MIDI track and then drag all the samples into the empty slots on the drum rack. You will notice that the slots on the drum rack correspond to keys on your keyboard

Once you have this done - double click the sample in each slot and transpose it accordingly. This should not affect the speed that the sample plays at, only the pitch.

yep you got it, thanks for that.

more of remix I guess but heres a new one
    https://soundcloud.com/kersh-2/jump

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This is a preview of something I'm working on at the moment, my first real attempt at remixing a vocal in to a track. I think it might be a bit too high in the mix at the moment. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

http://m.soundcloud.com/cloud-10/maor-levi-beautiful-disaster-u4ea-remix-preview

Advertisement