Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

keithkk16 wrote: »
    New one from myself, I wasn't going for any specific genre for this one, but it's probably house https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/tea-and-tokes

id love to hear that with 10% taken off the high hats and 15 off the vocal.
    The bass that comes in at 4.12 mark would sound sweet if in from the begining to the 1,06mark

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

mordeith wrote: »
    I like this one. Nice contrast between the almost 8-bit sound of the synth melody and the more grungy dub-step bass and stabs. Oly thing I'm not mad about is the kind distorted fill sound at 0.12.
    Mix sounds good to me though. Nice powerful kick and some nice interesting percussion programming.

I agree totally with Mordeith. Nothing stands out to criticise at all.
    Nicely produced

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dan_Jer

Deadly Tune Mate Love The Melody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheNumpty

First genuine attempt at making something half decent. No fancy hardware or anything. House track that's a little moody. Any feedback definitely gratefully appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/snakegriffin-2/dark-beats

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

TheNumpty wrote: »
    First genuine attempt at making something half decent. No fancy hardware or anything. House track that's a little moody. Any feedback definitely gratefully appreciated.

nice job!
    id recommend adding another layer of some sort at 1:44
    itll add a whole new dimension to the track

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Hi, Ive been in a major creative rut for the past 6 months. I seem to be writing the same song over and over again. I'm currently using FL Studio MIDI only. I'm looking for some feedback and criticism so I can improve and move forward.

Song is Synth style with samples...

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/tom-mcfadden-1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

TheNumpty wrote: »

I'm a fan of this type of sound so I like the overall track. I think the bass pad could do with a bit of brightening up to make it stand out a bit more in the mix. The EQ sounds relatively ok on it but it maybe could do with another layer mixed in to give it a bit more of an edge.
    I'd also agree with lb1997 about maybe adding another element at the drop at 1.44. The kick might benefit form a bit of added punch as well.
    Good stuff overall though.

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Hi, Ive been in a major creative rut for the past 6 months. I seem to be writing the same song over and over again. I'm currently using FL Studio MIDI only. I'm looking for some feedback and criticism so I can improve and move forward.

Song is Synth style with samples...

Cheers

The link just goes to your overall soundcloud list so I'm not sure which particular track you're looking for feedback on

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭TheNumpty

lb1997 wrote: »
    nice job!
    id recommend adding another layer of some sort at 1:44
    itll add a whole new dimension to the track
    I'm a fan of this type of sound so I like the overall track. I think the bass pad could do with a bit of brightening up to make it stand out a bit more in the mix. The EQ sounds relatively ok on it but it maybe could do with another layer mixed in to give it a bit more of an edge.
    I'd also agree with lb1997 about maybe adding another element at the drop at 1.44. The kick might benefit form a bit of added punch as well.
    Good stuff overall though.
    Much appreciated lads, Mordeith dead right about the kick drum, listened back on big speakers and needed more oomph. Both right about something added at 1:44. Its a track that i only spent a day at really. I'm gonna break it down more by the weekend and hopefully improve it.

Sorry about that, this is the track that I need another help wit...

https://soundcloud.com/tom-mcfadden-1/the-snipper-1

• Advertisement

I'm currently using FL Studio MIDI only.

Okay, now I'm really confused as the description of the song on Soundcloud is
    "Electronic Music created and mixed in Sony Acid.
    Hardware only used: Korg EM1, Akai MiniAK, Roland MC307..."

Anyway, regarding the track itself I would say that it could do with a bit of a change in the arrangment towards the middle. Maybe you could try dropping out some elements and bringing them back in to add interest. Of course I'm not sure how hard this is to do with hardware as I've no experience with analog equipment. The bassline is cool although it seems to change up and down at slightly odd intervals. Might be worth playing around with filter sweep if it's present on any of that equipment

originally posed by mordeith

Okay, now I'm really confused as the description of the song on Soundcloud is
    "Electronic Music created and mixed in Sony Acid.
    Hardware only used: Korg EM1, Akai MiniAK, Roland MC307..."

Anyway, regarding the track itself I would say that it could do with a bit of a change in the arrangment towards the middle. Maybe you could try dropping out some elements and bringing them back in to add interest. Of course I'm not sure how hard this is to do with hardware as I've no experience with analog equipment. The bassline is cool although it seems to change up and down at slightly odd intervals. Might be worth playing around with filter sweep if it's present on any of that equipment

sorry I shud explain, that track was indeed sequenced using midi in Sony Acid. I have recently switched over to using FL Studio, hence the confusion. Your right the track needs a bit of filter sweep and variety in the drums pershaps.

I arrange all the hardware thru a mixer and back into an finished master track, Im a bit oldschool...

sorry I shud explain, that track was indeed sequenced using midi in Sony Acid. I have recently switched over to using FL Studio, hence the confusion. Your right the track needs a bit of filter sweep and variety in the drums pershaps.

I arrange all the hardware thru a mixer and back into an finished master track, Im a bit oldschool...

Ah right, I see. Are you able to import the indivual tracks into FLStudio from your mixer or are you left with a single track? Obviosuly if you had seperate tracks it would give you more scope for adding fx and adjusting eq afterwards.

so the vast amount of my tracks on my PC are about 1-2 mins and Im rarely able to build on one enough to actaully make into an average length song, and most of the time when i do im not really happy with it because its either boring and/or repetitive. I have so many little pieces that im quite proud of but they just dont have a place anywhere.
    now my idea.... going JDilla style!
    making lots of short and (hopefully) sweet tracks.
    what are your opinion on this?
    does this just make me a lazy producer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

lb1997 wrote: »
    so the vast amount of my tracks on my PC are about 1-2 mins and Im rarely able to build on one enough to actaully make into an average length song, and most of the time when i do im not really happy with it because its either boring and/or repetitive. I have so many little pieces that im quite proud of but they just dont have a place anywhere.
    now my idea.... going JDilla style!
    making lots of short and (hopefully) sweet tracks.
    what are your opinion on this?
    does this just make me a lazy producer?

if youre doing it because youre not able to make a full length track...then it makes you lazy....but if youre doing it because you want to try something different or you feel a shorter tracks suits your style better, then youre being creative...sounds to me though, you realise youre trying to take shortcuts....dont take shortcuts, just work on structuring songs, takes time i guess, i find what youre talking about really difficult aswell...best thing to do is listen to famous house tracks that are really long, like deadmua5 or whatever youre into, and try pinpoint why it is that you can keep listening to it but not youre own track, then work on adding those elements into youre own music

shane9689 wrote: »
    if youre doing it because youre not able to make a full length track...then it makes you lazy....but if youre doing it because you want to try something different or you feel a shorter tracks suits your style better, then youre being creative...
    I definetely feel shorter songs suit my style better , Im not really into dance music, listening to aphex twin's ambient works and piano pieces is really what motivated to start in the first place. I just feel sort of obliged to make it longer and more dancey. from what you said I think ill try the shorter route for now and maybe my style will develop or change in time
    thanks for helping me make up my mind (y)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I've been struggling with sequencing and structuring for a while now....I tend to get bogged down in details and little things and end up with my head fried.

One tip I picked up that I found helpful - keep sound design and sequencing sessions separate. Do one or the other, not both.

SamAK wrote: »
    I've been struggling with sequencing and structuring for a while now....I tend to get bogged down in details and little things and end up with my head fried.

One tip I picked up that I found helpful - keep sound design and sequencing sessions separate. Do one or the other, not both.

That's a good tip but one that I find impossible to stick to. I find I have to start arranging as soon as I get some sounds sorted. I feel like I need to hear the sounds in a structured way in order to determine whether it's worth working on the rest of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Yeah I try that too, I keep my sounds very basic with the intention of working on them in depth (automation/modulation etc) after i've got the bare-bones of the track sequenced (beginning, middle and end)...but I keep grinding to a halt because i'm not sure where it's gonna go! :-P

But then I think back to what I couldn't do a year or two ago, when I wasn't even getting as far as arrangement view in Ableton! I have come a long way, just have to stick at it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Latest one from me, some progressive chillout. Slight bit more mastering to be done with it. Feedback or opinions are much appreciated! :)

https://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/u4ea-skyline-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

DarkJager wrote: »
    Latest one from me, some progressive chillout. Slight bit more mastering to be done with it. Feedback or opinions are much appreciated! :)

Really like this. So easy to listen to!

DarkJager wrote: »

Nice and smooth. Love the warp on the bassline and the conrtast with the bell-like hits. Only negative I have is that the snare/clap seems to be a bit low during the busier times of the track

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Here's something from me. Not perfect by a long shot. The idea was not to have a breakdown but keep it going. Critics welcome to tell me where to improve for the next one.

Cheers!:)

http://soundcloud.com/martin-crowley/a-great-day-for-the-parish

Good, dark vibe on this one. I like the kick loop although I feel that is's filtered a little too much. It's almost like you're hearing it underwater. Not necessarily in a bad way but to me it feels more like the way you'd have the intro before coming with the full sounding kick. I htink you're right not to have any major drop but in order to maintain interest it might be an idea to drop in and out some elements for a bar os so every now and then. I think a nice strong ride would fit well. Also the kind of arpeggiated sequence that begins to come in at 3.07 adds great grrove to the track. I think you could bring that in earlier in the track in a similar rising fashion and have it drop out suddenly at a crescendo. Good solid techno overall for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Beakflakes wrote: »
    Here's something from me. Not perfect by a long shot. The idea was not to have a breakdown but keep it going. Critics welcome to tell me where to improve for the next one.

Cheers!:)

http://soundcloud.com/martin-crowley/a-great-day-for-the-parish

hmmm, i actually like it, sounds like something you could stick into a movie, where ****s about to go down and you have the camera following the lead character through berlin at night....my mind gets carried away sometimes
    about what mordieth said about the kick...i agree, yet disagree.....it works, until about maybe 3 mins in, maybe then you could release it into a full sounding kick...but that said, it still sounds perfectly cool the way it is...the only thing is, in its current form it sounds perfect for a movie or ambient music, but as a dance track i dont think it works, but you probably werent trying to make a full on dance track? ....really like the reverbed hit that goes on constantly,

overall totally enjoyable

keithkk16 wrote: »

jesus that bass!! haha maybe lay off the bass untill later in the track, and tone it down slightly, too much too soon just saturates the track in bass and it takes away the force of it.
    its a good track, but hearing your other stuff i feel you can do abit better in terms of the mixing

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

Good, dark vibe on this one. I like the kick loop although I feel that is's filtered a little too much. It's almost like you're hearing it underwater. Not necessarily in a bad way but to me it feels more like the way you'd have the intro before coming with the full sounding kick. I htink you're right not to have any major drop but in order to maintain interest it might be an idea to drop in and out some elements for a bar os so every now and then. I think a nice strong ride would fit well. Also the kind of arpeggiated sequence that begins to come in at 3.07 adds great grrove to the track. I think you could bring that in earlier in the track in a similar rising fashion and have it drop out suddenly at a crescendo. Good solid techno overall for me though.
    hmmm, i actually like it, sounds like something you could stick into a movie, where ****s about to go down and you have the camera following the lead character through berlin at night....my mind gets carried away sometimes
    about what mordieth said about the kick...i agree, yet disagree.....it works, until about maybe 3 mins in, maybe then you could release it into a full sounding kick...but that said, it still sounds perfectly cool the way it is...the only thing is, in its current form it sounds perfect for a movie or ambient music, but as a dance track i dont think it works, but you probably werent trying to make a full on dance track? ....really like the reverbed hit that goes on constantly,

overall totally enjoyable

Cheers lads. Totally agree with your pointers. Needs a bit of variation alright, agree with a heavier kick later on and the frequencies are messy enough (but I like that). It plods along a little too much but I was going for a kind of transition track in a set or a beginning/end.

Muchly appreciate the feedback though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

jesus that bass!! haha maybe lay off the bass untill later in the track, and tone it down slightly, too much too soon just saturates the track in bass and it takes away the force of it.
    its a good track, but hearing your other stuff i feel you can do abit better in terms of the mixing

Could you elaborate more, is it the kick or the bassline that's too much? Guessing it's the kick from the start? Also the mixing in general could be better or again is it the low end messing everything up. I made this on a ****ty pair of sony headphones, krks are getting repaired atm, pure melt. I should probably wait until I get them back before I do anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Hi all - trying to get back into production now after about 6 weeks of general craziness in work with no free time for music. Been working at this one on and off for over a month and i am sick of it... so here it is, warts an all!!!

would appreciate opinions thanks guys

Advertisement