Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA vs the Taliban - who would win? US TV goes in search of the answer....*cringe*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

how did i not hear of this before

this is the first thing anyone who has ever seen or heard of this should say when they see me!!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The funniest parts are in this video - "slingshot" lol!

Edit - they took it off. The part before the end was halarious when they where showing the weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It'll be on the "You have been watching" programme on E4+1 now. Brilliant.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I can see it now the IRA
    *phones taliban now lads look were going to bomb you in 60 minets so get any civilians out of there asap*

Taliban * :confused:*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

seanybiker wrote: »
    The IRA wouldnt stand a chance. They would bitch up and surrender after 2 minutes. Then spend years killing their own people. Numpties

lol and those suicide bombers do what now??????

im mixing up al queda and taliban... but the taliban do dabble in it
    I can see it now the IRA
    *phones taliban now lads look were going to bomb you in 60 minets so get any civilians out of there asap*

Taliban * *
    well some of them were decent so... only collateral damage

afghanistan was never conqured in all of history. ( now its still occupied so no sucess)
    the taliban are ressistant.
    the IRA were too but the general populace were divded. far more irish men joined the British army in ww1 than those that joined the IRA.

lol irelands urban jungle :)

Found the episode !!!!

http://www.spike.com/full-episode/ir-vs-taliban/32259

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Taliban would definately win... that is if the IRA would fight.

Not that the two groups would ever, ever be in conflict with one another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

Both sides would fight it out, negotiate a truce and then mutually claim victory. That or Hamas would open up a third front and kick ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Provos would obviously loose cos unlike the Taliban who are match fit, they have been sat on the couch watching Murder She Wrote with a can of Dutch gold and a can of Pringles for company.

Do the IRA actually fight? I have never heard of any ever using an automatic weapon of any kind.

Even in terms of bombing the Taliban/AQ are far superior. The IRA only ever blow themselves up by mistake.

Hamas seem a tougher lot than the IRA - but having said that, I can't see them fighting outside of an urban environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Do the IRA actually fight? I have never heard of any ever using an automatic weapon of any kind.

Even in terms of bombing the Taliban/AQ are far superior. The IRA only ever blow themselves up by mistake.

Hamas seem a tougher lot than the IRA - but having said that, I can't see them fighting outside of an urban environment.

The prefered weapon of the Taliban/IRA is the AK47." It makes a distinctive sound when fired upon so get use to it"

The taliban use aerplanes the IRA dont

Hamas tougher than the IRA. The Irony of your speak can only be appreciated by someone that has read books on the IRA!

Its a shame joe cahill could not see this he would laugh his head off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

of course the ira would win they forced the brits to the table and to give up the taliban have yet to do that

of course the ira would win they forced the brits to the table and to give up the taliban have yet to do that

Not really - the British didn't want to have much to do with Northern Ireland in the first place but felt honour bound to 'sort it out' - which they eventually believed to lie in negotiation.

Besides which the IRA was able to bomb Britain and put pressure that way. The only Taliban terrorist attacks in America were the two separate attacks on the Twin Towers (the first of which was almost a complete waste of time on their part, but the latter a massive, but short-lived military and terrorist success). Logistics act against the Taliban in a way they didn't for the IRA.

But Hamas Vs IRA: I know the IRA and INLA own AK47s - I have just never heard of them actually using them. Pistols, semtex, knives, sawn-off shotguns, and the (rare) sniper rifle are the only weapons I have heard of them using; hardly the weapons of an army. Not even the weapons of a militia - the Mahdi Army are far better equipped (and larger) than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭P.K

this surfaced before in the sports section already

the IRA won:D

to be fair, the contest shouldn't be against each other. it should be set in a hypothetical shopping centre and see who can kill the most innocent people in one hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

seanybiker wrote: »
    The IRA wouldnt stand a chance. They would bitch up and surrender after 2 minutes. Then spend years killing their own people. Numpties

Didnt see anyone in South Armagh "surrender" in over thirty years of conflict. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Didnt see anyone in South Armagh "surrender" in over thirty years of conflict

Yes, but they weren't facing anyone quite as ruthless as the Taliban either.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The taliban use aerplanes the IRA dont

Not 100% accurate.

1. Famous helicopter escape from Mountjoy Gaol

2. Attempted bombing of BA Checkpoint at Newry by hijacked Cessna

Then there was the time they attacked the same checkpoint using a hijacked train.

Hamas... pfftttt... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

dublincelt wrote: »
    Didnt see anyone in South Armagh "surrender" in over thirty years of conflict. :rolleyes:

Armagh is still part of the United Kingdom - check on a map if you don't believe me! :D

The IRA is too stupid to even realise this.

Must have been beating that young Quinn lad to death at the time.

Taliban for me - no surrender to the US and the UK or the Soviets for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

It was on "you have been watching" on channel 4 the other night. Just so you know, William Wallace>Shaka Zulu. The ira were armed with flamethrower, pipe bombs and, snigger, slingshots. The Taliban got mines and some other stuff. This wasn't fought in a desert, nor in a forest, but in an American car park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Word to the wise - Northern Ireland is still part of the United Kingdom.
    And British troops are still garrisoned in Northern Ireland.
    The Union Jack flys over Belfast City Hall.
    And.......the dead of Gibraltar are still resident in Milltown. :D

And you still didn't find Nairac yet ? :D
    The men who have been remembered are the ones who looked to secure an independent Irish state/Irish autonomy through democratic means.
    People like John Hume, Charles Stewart Parnell and Daniel O'Connell.
    Not the ones you talk about who defend the murder of innocents.
    Isn't it strange that someone who claims to admire Hume, Parnell and O'Connell but gloats over the shooting of three unarmed people ? Doubtless he'll claim that he's a nationalist just like his unionist buddy's prinz, vesp, cherrypicker etc :rolleyes:

" I have never heard of any ever using an automatic weapon of any kind. " What do you think the 2 brits whacked at Messerene barracks died of, food poisioning from a pizza ?

murphyphoto86.jpg

IRA3.jpg

womensoldier.jpg

" The IRA only ever blow themselves up by mistake. " So it must have been the Taliban that whacked the brits in bombings like Warrenpoint, Ballygawley, Deal, etc ?

McArmalite wrote: »
    And you still didn't find Nairac yet ? :D

Isn't it strange that someone who claims to admire Hume, Parnell and O'Connell but gloats over the shooting of three unarmed people ? Doubtless he'll claim that he's a nationalist just like his unionist buddy's prinz, vesp, cherrypicker etc :rolleyes:

And young Quinn from South Armagh or McCartney in Belfast - what did they do to deserve murderous beatings from the IRA?

The 3 in Gibraltar were intent on murdering many innocent people and their killings were entirely justified - the Gardai and Irish Army would have reacted in the same way.

Yes I am a nationalist - based on the consent of the people of all parts of the island not just on what some cowardly illiterate thugs in Crossmaglen might think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells

Nah the ira would just fight the taliban, then go away for a few years and then comeback to surprise attack the taliban.

And young Quinn from South Armagh or McCartney in Belfast - what did they do to deserve murderous beatings from the IRA?

The 3 in Gibraltar were intent on murdering many innocent people and their killings were entirely justified - the Gardai and Irish Army would have reacted in the same way.

Yes I am a nationalist - based on the consent of the people of all parts of the island not just on what some cowardly illiterate thugs in Crossmaglen might think.
    Your about as much a nationalist as I'm a unionist :rolleyes:

Your about as much a nationalist as I'm a unionist :rolleyes:

Nationalist by consent - yes - the North should remain British until the people there decide otherwise - this is the positon of over 95% of people in the Republic.

Get used to it! :D

Nationalist by consent - yes - the North should remain British until the people there decide otherwise - this is the positon of over 95% of people in the Republic.

Get used to it! :D
    It's got at most 2 decades left before british occupation is finished forever. Your effectively living on history's death row, enjoy it :D

It's got at most 2 decades left before british occupation is finished forever. Your effectively living on history's death row, enjoy it :D

Why hasn't Sinn Fein pushed for a border poll if re-unification is so close?
    Under the GFA they have this right every 7 years.
    Could push for another in 2016 - 100 years after the rising.
    Makes you think - probably because they know that they would lose 65-35 with 30% of Catholics voting to remain in the Union.

Why hasn't Sinn Fein pushed for a border poll if re-unification is so close?
    Under the GFA they have this right every 7 years.
    Could push for another in 2016 - 100 years after the rising.
    Makes you think - probably because they know that they would lose 65-35 with 30% of Catholics voting to remain in the Union.
    Because at the moment the unionists would win it by 3 or 4 % and so SF don't want to give you crowd something to crow about.

" 30% of Catholics voting to remain in the Union ". Well how come 30% of Catholics don't vote for unionist parties at elections if that's the case ? And doesn't it say it all about unionism for an ideology that didn't want to have a Catholic about the place is now trying to survive in hoping that they will support them ? As I've said, unionism is living on history's death row.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Great figures, where did get them? The Department of Wishful Thinking ?

Advertisement