Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA vs the Taliban - who would win? US TV goes in search of the answer....*cringe*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

We need to see the sequel,sort of a cross between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Revenge of the Two Towers.

Or Return of the Jedi King?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Stupid thread! but seen as we are being daft! would the rules change for

The old IRA as in Develara and Michael Collins

The Official IRA as in Labour/Workers Party/Democratc Left

The Provisional IRA as in Sinn Fein

The Real IRA as in the 32 County Sov Commettee

The Continutity IRA as in Replulician Rauari o Bradaigh

Considering life and the fact that the taliban tend to have 10 wives and get to ride them senseless before and after battle I imagine there is no shortage of replacements to take the place of the poor fceker who is gone to heven to sllep with the 12 virgins! Yes! there is a lot of virgins in heaven I am told! Sure was mary not one!

Then again the taliban have mountains! What we call mountains they call hillls. but wait they also have lovely son and sand!

But we have cold, cold and wet, cold and wet and damp! cold and wet and damp and feckin pine trees that seem to stick in the weardiest of places. Sap! we have sap! how in the name of god does the sap get into places we cant!

The IRA and the Tallaght band! Feck that I am off to tallaght!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Considering life and the fact that the taliban tend to have 10 wives and get to ride them senseless before and after battle I imagine there is no shortage of replacements to take the place of the poor fceker who is gone to heven to sllep with the 12 virgins! Yes! there is a lot of virgins in heaven I am told! Sure was mary not one!

I agree with all of what you said. Except Muslims get 72 Virgins if they die gloriously or whatever.

Personally I'd like 3 horny slappers who know what they're playing at, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Personally I'd like 3 horny slappers who know what they're playing at, but that's just me.

Ahh now! Nothing beats an experienced person. I once noted how a girls in my local spar was doing the job of 3 people! I wonder how many people would 3 horny slappers replace and is this the solution to the shortage of virgins in heaven or tallaght!

ie recruit more horny slappers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The IRA would infiltrate the Taliban using an agent called Abdul Abhaile.

This ends badly two years later, during a discussion after evening prayers....

'What will you do after we establish the Caliphate, Akbar?'

'I will run my farm, watch my grandchildren grow, and enjoy the Peace of Islam'

'And you Abdul?

'I'll go home, set anew with my wife....maybe open a pub'.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

At least the IRA got into the finals, the UVF were knocked out in the early rounds by the Westies.

National pride aside I hope the Taliban win,we can't afford to stage next year's competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

can we make them fight with sticks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

DrumSteve wrote: »
    can we make them fight with sticks?
    The green corner would win that one hands down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

I agree with all of what you said. Except Muslims get 72 Virgins if they die gloriously or whatever.

+1

72 virgins means listening to " be gentle, its my first time" 72 times

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hagar wrote: »
    At least the IRA got into the finals, the UVF were knocked out in the early rounds by the Westies.

National pride aside I hope the Taliban win,we can't afford to stage next year's competition.

Don't worry, we'll shift it to eastern Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

markok84 wrote: »
    well I hope that it's as impartial and as accurate as when Captain planet visited Belfast.

Did anyone else see the camel in that video, at about 1:01/1:02? WTF??!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Did anyone else see the camel in that video, at about 1:01/1:02? WTF??!

It only shows snippets of the actual episode. The camel is from a different scene in another setting. Just bad editing that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

javaboy wrote: »
    It only shows snippets of the actual episode. The camel is from a different scene in another setting. Just bad editing that's all.
    That makes sense! I'm desperately hungover, my brain isn't working at full capacity today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

That was really cheesy, and the nukes wtf.

Bad editing, The full episode has 6 people, 2 from Belfast, 2 from South Africa and 2 from Israel. (from youtube unloader comment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Craigsy wrote: »
    +1

72 virgins means listening to " be gentle, its my first time" 72 times

You listen?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The Captain Planet thing is so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 mango23

seanybiker wrote: »
    The IRA wouldnt stand a chance. They would bitch up and surrender after 2 minutes. Then spend years killing their own people. Numpties
    Get the boat to england.....

Hmmm lets see.

The IRA failed to win the battle for a corner of our tiny island.
    The Taliban are still holding against the joint US and British forces in Afghanistan and are currently advancing on the capital of Pakistan,
    one of the most highly populated countries in the world.

The Taliban is funded by oil rich Saudis and the heroin trade.
    The IRA was funded by sales of dodgy fags, Wolfetones gigs and some starry eyed Yanks.

But most importantly.
    The IRA killed by using complicated hit-and-miss bombing/sniping strategies that could be described as difficult to pull off at best.
    The Taliban walk up to their targets and detonate themselves.

Tough one to call alright.
    The I.R.A. only had a few thousand men on a very small plot of land, and the British government couldn't beat them and they eventually forced a non-negotiating nation to the table.

While the Taliban have more men through a vaster vaster amount of land, desert upon desert, and weren't they a government??? not originally a guerrilla force???

All the Ra would have to do is sit in towers around their patch and sniper the suicide bombers, considering all they Taliban can do it suicide bomb.

So I'd go for the Republican if you're talking about fair numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

IRA with nukes... ah Cartoons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

mango23 wrote: »
    All the Ra would have to do is sit in towers around their patch and sniper the suicide bombers, considering all they Taliban can do it suicide bomb.

I think you're confusing the Taliban with Lemmings.

What sort of a half arsed suicide bomber is going to try to suicide bomb a lookout tower when there are perfecly good schools, shops and hospitals to be targetting.

Also, apart from self-detonation the Taliban have also been known to carry automatic weapons, have taken down US military aircraft and have in the past launched an almost successful rocket based assassination attempt on the Afghan president (despite the fact that he was being protected by several blackhawk helicopters at the time).
    Not to mention the multitude of other successful rocket attacks they have under their belts.

The old IRA and the Taliban were both once guerilla type fighters.
    One lot evolved into Fianna Fáil, the other lot got better.

• Advertisement

Mention the IRA to many Americans and they think of this

What sort of a half arsed suicide bomber is going to try to suicide bomb a lookout tower when there are perfecly good schools, shops and hospitals to be targetting.

Also, apart from self-detonation the Taliban have also been known to carry automatic weapons, have taken down US military aircraft and have in the past launched an almost successful rocket based assassination attempt on the Afghan president (despite the fact that he was being protected by several blackhawk helicopters at the time).
    Not to mention the multitude of other successful rocket attacks they have under their belts.

Plus the fact that they were well on the way to taking over northern Pakistan, then the Pakistani Government woke up and gave them a kicking!

The old IRA and the Taliban were both once guerilla type fighters.
    One lot evolved into Fianna Fáil, the other lot got better.
    When i said they could shoot from towers, i meant around the protected area of their people.......now the taliban aren't getting any planes anymore, but i guess they could rent one off the U.D.A. maybe.

Well now the provos launched a nearly successful assasination on thatcher, they launched mortars in 10 downing street also, they've walked in and out of british prisons to free their mates without harm on multiple occassions.

And you're also forgetting warrenpoint, when they killed 18 paratroopers in one attack. There's been no one bigger casualty on british soldiers apart from the Israeli/Egyptian war. So if these Taliban are so good, why don't they hit 18 soldiers in one swoop?

When i said they could shoot from towers, i meant around the protected area of their people.......now the taliban aren't getting any planes anymore, but i guess they could rent one off the U.D.A. maybe.

Well now the provos launched a nearly successful assasination on thatcher, they launched mortars in 10 downing street also, they've walked in and out of british prisons to free their mates without harm on multiple occassions.

And you're also forgetting warrenpoint, when they killed 18 paratroopers in one attack. There's been no one bigger casualty on british soldiers apart from the Israeli/Egyptian war. So if these Taliban are so good, why don't they hit 18 soldiers in one swoop?

I'm not forgetting Warrenpoint (which was really two attacks to be pedantic).
    The IRA obviously had some spectacular successes but most came from hitting unsuspecting targets as opposed to heavily armed military targets in a high state of readiness.

I think the main difference between organisations such as the IRA and the Taliban is this.
    The former claim to not be afraid of dying for the cause (this would just be rhetoric for the majority).
    The latter actually want to die for the cause.
    One accepts the risk of death, the other actively seeks it.

RE the U.D.A. hiring out planes to the Taliban, you lost me there.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,133 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TBH doesnt look like such a bad show...

A bit sensationalised maybe, but still interesting.

I'm not forgetting Warrenpoint (which was really two attacks to be pedantic).
    The IRA obviously had some spectacular successes but most came from hitting unsuspecting targets as opposed to heavily armed military targets in a high state of readiness.

I think the main difference between organisations such as the IRA and the Taliban is this.
    The former claim to not be afraid of dying for the cause (this would just be rhetoric for the majority).
    The latter actually want to die for the cause.
    One accepts the risk of death, the other actively seeks it.

RE the U.D.A. hiring out planes to the Taliban, you lost me there.:confused:
    I understand the point you're making, but it's really silly to try and compare them. Obviously they'd never fight, but if they were; you couldn't really say who'd win. Because they both have a different approach to it.

And the thing about the likes of Al Queda etc suicide bombing is differrent. You see the Republicans needed every man they had and knew the importance of the foot soldiers. While the other fellas have so many young muslims at their disposale.

The U.D.A. thing was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭PaulByrne'sBald

The IRA would infiltrate the Taliban using an agent called Abdul Abhaile.

v. clever :D

The U.D.A. thing was a joke.

Too right, the gay Brigadier, the threatened legal action from Tina Turner over misuse of her song 'Simply The Best', not to mention Johnny Adair.
    The whole thing was a circus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Just so you know, the show should have aired today so we should be knowing the result soon?

Looking at the wiki page the results of prior match ups does not mean it will go to the obvious all the time. Though the choice of weapons for the IRA really confuse me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Warrior#Episode_9:_IRA_vs._Taliban

Flamethrowers?

M16?

Advertisement