Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRA vs the Taliban - who would win? US TV goes in search of the answer....*cringe*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Flamethrowers?

M16?
    We IS talking about the Irish IRA, yes? And not just some fictional yank romantic rose-tinted propaganda?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I mean the weapons they have named for the taliban are more IRA then the ones they are going with.

RPG and AK47.

seems even more pointless then before now as it was not really the weapons but the tactics that define terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seems even more pointless then before now as it was not really the weapons but the tactics that define terrorists.
    Aye. Esp how the IRA pretty much wrote the handbook on guerilla warfare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

SAS are suppose to be the best and the ira kicked there butts week in week out taliban are 40years behind the brave IRA

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

How many Virgins do you get with the IRA?

Ms. Ferris aside.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Bambi wrote: »
    Some fella did time for brighton.
    patrick magee if i'm correct

watching an old episode atm...is the whole series narrated by the guy from 300 or something? Its incredible cheesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

paddyboy23 wrote: »
    SAS are suppose to be the best and the ira kicked there butts week in week out taliban are 40years behind the brave IRA

You mean like in Gibraltar? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Did'nt the IRA extract severe revenge for that at Warrenpoint? Was it 15 British soldiers or something killed in that one ambush....and Mountbatten the same day? That's far more then ever died collectively in Iraq or any other theatre to my knowledge since WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I hope some American boardsie uploads it.

• Advertisement

RESULTS ARE IN:
    For short range weapons the Taliban's bayonet proved more deadly than the IRA's slingshot. The slingshot was a very accurate weapon able to hit the eye socket of a skull but did not provide sufficient killing power. The bayonet was declared the winner. The bayonet turned the already powerful AK-47 into a close range spear.

For mid-range weapons the LPO-50 flamethrower took on the RPG-7 rocket launcher. The LPO-50 light up its targets to 1500 degrees but the effective range, explosion radius, and killing power of the RPG-7 were unquestionable and it received the edge in mid-range weapons. The RPG also was effective up to 920 meters thereby increasing their hit chance.

For long-range weapons the IRA wielded AR-15 took on the Taliban's AK-47. The IRA weapon was able to hit a smaller target meaning it was more accurate. The AK-47 stood up better to the reliability test. In the end the experts declared that the AR-15 was better overall so it was given the edge.

For special weapons the IRA's nail bomb was compared to the PMN mine. The PMN proved to be powerful enough to dismember limbs but could only kill 2 of its 5 targets. The nailbomb was more effective at damaging multiple targets so it was given the edge over the PMN.

For special weapons the IRA showed off a homemade nail bomb, while the Taliban offered up a PMN Mine. The PMN Mine, while effective, was designed to kill one man at a time. The IRA's nail bomb, on the other hand, was a shrapnel-type device designed for mass damage and multiple deaths. In the end, the experts sided with the IRA nail bomb over the PMN Mine.

Overall Winner: IRA

Although the Taliban's weapons were both reliable and deadly the IRA had weapons which were more accurate and designed for killing. The IRA won 51.7% of the time, making it the closest fight yet on the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Warrior#Episode_9:_IRA_vs._Taliban

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

lol! (see spoilers)....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

now....shark vs aligator please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭paddyboy23

You mean like in Gibraltar? :D

only for them the brits would still be walking on us like they have for 800years them people died for just that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

only for them the brits would still be walking on us like they have for 800years them people died for just that

Word to the wise - Northern Ireland is still part of the United Kingdom.
    And British troops are still garrisoned in Northern Ireland.
    The Union Jack flys over Belfast City Hall.
    And.......the dead of Gibraltar are still resident in Milltown. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Keep at it, you'll drag us off topic yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

when did rambo join the republican movement?? :D:D

It is cringeworthy.

Can anyone work out what the IRA guy screams at the end?

Also

WTF IS WITH THE SLINGSHOT AND FLAMETHROWER???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That is terrible and ridiculously insensitive, although the expression on that guys face at 1:36 is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

It is cringeworthy.

Can anyone work out what the IRA guy screams at the end?

Also

WTF IS WITH THE SLINGSHOT AND FLAMETHROWER???

Stones & petrol bombs perhaps, Yes they had a flamethrower, don't know if it was ever used in anger...

That is terrible and ridiculously insensitive, although the expression on that guys face at 1:36 is the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Yes there was an element of Will E Coyote to the Taliban.

I'm more curious now on who they dragged in to represent each side. I mean its ok to have former spec ops and historians or cultural geeks representing special forces or historical figures. But who would willingly walk on and say *yeah I know the in's and out's of a terrorist organisation and will demonstrate them for you for american tv*

The poor taliban fecker must have been dragged off back to gitmo after the show was over.

Yes there was an element of Will E Coyote to the Taliban.

I'm more curious now on who they dragged in to represent each side. I mean its ok to have former spec ops and historians or cultural geeks representing special forces or historical figures. But who would willingly walk on and say *yeah I know the in's and out's of a terrorist organisation and will demonstrate them for you for american tv*

The poor taliban fecker must have been dragged off back to gitmo after the show was over.

Both the IRA and the Taliban distributed propoganda videos of their training sessions to gee up their supporters, I suspect that's where a lot of the material came from.

Yeah I guess, its just I looked at an earlier episode of the series just now out of curiosity and they get experts in for each side. THe one I watched had former spetnaz and green berats, so was curious if they did the same for this one.

fixed my second video that lists out why the IRA won.

Why...are they fighting in a carpark?

I thought it was going to be a traveller's halting site when I saw it at first and burst out laughing.

At 1:57, the narrator claims that all the data collected is entered into "a state-of-the-art computer program" developed by the makers that will determine the winner. Microsoft Excel is "state-of-the-art" now? :confused:

well it can do more then word :D

I still want them to justify the bloody slingshot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 mango23

You couldn't have said it better.

Advertisement