Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 btothei

ya know wat?
    i loved the fact that it was drizzling rain all nite, luvd the fact i didnt get home til 3 in the mornin, spent a hell amount of money on overpriced food,drink, bus tikits and taxis, was in wrk early d next day.
    rock n roll is about 70,000+ pple in a field, wit only a handful being sober. not 80,000 all seater stadiums where everything runs like clockwork.
    next time ac/dc are doing a world tour (could b a whil remember)do me and most other "proper" fans a favour and head over to switzerland and see em ther. last nite was epic and i lovd everyting about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hillerbees wrote: »
    What a load of bull...the best live bands/performers in the world are the best LIVE bands because they interact well with their audience... Queen, Whitesnake, U2, Status Quo to name but a few. If you don't want the social interaction between band and fan and between fan and fan buy the record or dvd and stay in your shell.
    yes but this is not whitesnake or u2...it's acdc...you should have enjoyed the break from pretentious and condecending rock star whinging and rock out for 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

btothei wrote: »
    ya know wat?
    i loved the fact that it was drizzling rain all nite, luvd the fact i didnt get home til 3 in the mornin, spent a hell amount of money on overpriced food,drink, bus tikits and taxis, was in wrk early d next day.
    rock n roll is about 70,000+ pple in a field, wit only a handful being sober. not 80,000 all seater stadiums where everything runs like clockwork.
    next time ac/dc are doing a world tour (could b a whil remember)do me and most other "proper" fans a favour and head over to switzerland and see em ther. last nite was epic and i lovd everyting about it!

i agree!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Great thing if you did head over to Switzerland is you wouldnt have to put up with pissed up little scumbags and ****ing clowns who havent a bit of interest in being at the gig. This proper fans bollox.

Maybe people are getting tired of paying a lot of money to put up with needless bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Gig: Great. Not as good as Rage, but no worries there. All the classic hits were amazing and my throat is raw. Lots of people standing round only half into it (mostly families dragged there by their dad by the look of it!) My mate dragged me off to the buses before the encore and I'll never go to another gig with him as long as I live. (watched the encore from the queue and the bus. Looked great.)

MCD:cheap, penny pinching. Employ enough stewards to do the work, they're clearly as cheap as you can get anyway.

Dublin Bus: Not enough staff to deal with the queues. Last year at oxegen there was a staff member standing beside every bus to tell when it was full, and staff at the front of the queue to release people. Not that complicated.

Planners: Why the Eff were the roads not closed to local traffic? The N7 was only piled up because gormless local feckers were driving around with their granny in the car to do their "messages" at 4 in the afternoon. Totally unecessary. Had one road been closed to all traffic except buses, there would have been 0 issues with people getting off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Sinderella

Nordies - You acted like morons. I will now vote against any referendum to politically unite this island. (Apologies to any Nordies who weren't acting like spas and good luck with the Executive).

"Nordies" are usually the better behaved in the crowd imo. And anyone that frequents rock gigs knows that "nordies" nearly outnumber anyone else. It's the little spidey feckers jumping Q's, throwing drinks, pi$$ing and puking all over the place that pi$$ me off.

Security staff - Heavy handed thugs
    Could've used a few hundred of those organising the bus queues

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

you really think theyd close a national road for a concert?? what about all the people going to cork,limerick etc and vice versa? the locals im sure put up with enough having the concert near them.would be a bit cheeky to tell them you cant drive your car that day too.

Great thing if you did head over to Switzerland is you wouldnt have to put up with pissed up little scumbags and ****ing clowns who havent a bit of interest in being at the gig. This proper fans bollox.

i'd consider myself a proper fan tbh having qued from 3 in the morning for tickets to both their irish dates and also not being able to talk for half the day due to me singing every word of most of the songs last nite. i see ure point tho tbh. i try not t let that sh!t get the better of me

Sinderella wrote: »
    "Nordies" are usually the better behaved in the crowd imo. And anyone that frequents rock gigs knows that "nordies" nearly outnumber anyone else. It's the little spidey feckers jumping Q's, throwing drinks, pi$$ing and puking all over the place that pi$$ me off.

Could've used a few hundred of those organising the bus queues

Well said, have met plenty of "nordies" over the years at gigs and most of them are a good bunch of lads who really enjoy their beer and music like the rest of the "southern" lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 hillerbees

Still can't stop thinking about the gig. My poison of choice are the Stones or The Who - but my soul has never been rocked and shaken right to its core like last night -

In one moment I screamed out to a mate that it was like being f**ked by God - if such a thing is possible :o

I'm not sure if it is possible to be made love to in that way but I also had a feeling like I was on the receiving end of my first homosexual experience from a faceless abuser after waiting so long to get from the venue to my car in goff's..and from all the posts I obviously wasn't the only one who felt like that!!:eek:

btothei wrote: »
    i'd consider myself a proper fan tbh having qued from 3 in the morning for tickets to both their irish dates and also not being able to talk for half the day due to me singing every word of most of the songs last nite. i see ure point tho tbh. i try not t let that sh!t get the better of me

I wasn't stating you were not a proper fan, what I was saying is the line that gets trotted out when people get sick of putting up with **** venues and dangerous queues is the "proper fans insert x"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Quadsey

I thought the venue was not over packed and under facilitated (which I was expecting) you could go for a drink, food or a piss without too much bother . . . .

Easy to take a piss alright, any where they wanted! While The Answer were on we were stood sheltering by some of the make shift metal walls beside the venders and a string of people came over and pushed in between the people standing there to take a piss, my friend tried to forewarn a girl who came over (who he thought wanted to shelter) that people had pissed all over the wall at the point she was at and she said thats why she was there, she just turned and squated in front of us and took a piss!
    All in all there were more animal piss heads at this gig then any other gig i've ever been to.

i saw nothing wrong with any organising etc before the actual event in all honesty....left dublin bout half 1/2 ish. wasnt any major traffic jams or any other complaints from that time period. arriving in the venue the que for beer and food was a bit long but again it was expected, afterwards was an absolute disgrace more guards and stewards standin round doin nothing dan anyting else, ther was no plan b. did guards/security honeslty tink some easy-fencing wud stop thousands of tired and wet ac/dc fans. ridiculous, lest face it mcd can get the big names. these kind of large outside gigs would b much beter suited to phoenix park i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Vag

Left Leixlip at 5. Took back roads and made it to Goffs at about 5:45. Took one look at the q and decided to walk. Counted 25 dublin buses on the Naas Road. Total car park. Walked through Johnstown and down a load more back roads (no signs, no stewards, Gardaí etc) No idea where we were going. Eventually made it by the start of the answer. 12 euro for two burgers anyone? Acdc were great as usual. Took off for the q to goffs buses the minute for those about to rock was over. Was standing right at the front of the q and was getting crushed getting on (I'm 6 ft 3"!) Made it to Goffs for half one. Home by two or so. (Mc Donalds first!)

Highlight: Being right at the barrier when Aungus came out on the platform. SO CLOSE!

Pye wrote: »
    A guard arresting someone for smoking a joint would be a bit of a waste of their time though don't you think? What harm could he do anyway, hug everyone to death?

I don't really have an issue with the guy smoking pot I just mentioned it by way of emphasizing how few gardai were knocking about.

we left the hotel in Cleann around 1, stopped off on the wya to kill some time and arrived at Puncherstown without encountering any traffic or tail back what so ever around half 2. Went into the gig around half 4 when crowds for food and what not were reasonbalbly shot. The Blizzards came on and the sheer amount of indifference was soemthign else. More people were lieing on the grass than standing up and the arrogance of the Blizzards riled a lot of people I was talking to.

The answer were very good but lets be honest had they not bothered to show up I doubt anoyone would have noticed. AC/DC were absolutly fantastic though I should add that the O2 gig was far superior due to the longer set list and not having as many twats doing their best to ruin everyone elses enjoyement. I don't see the point of going to a gig and getting so drunk that you spend the night falling into other people and casuing trouble.

A lot of crod surfers around where I was standing were thrown to the ground and told to cop on. I was there with my Dad and younger brothers, the smallest of whom constantly mnoving in front of him so that he couldn't see. I expect this at any gig but having a 40 year old 6 foot tall man basically pushing an 11 year old kid out of his way is not nice.

A lot of people are complianing about the traffic but being honest it wasn't that bead. We were parked in the red car park and didn't leave till after the fire works. It took us at most an hour to get out of there and once out we encountered no traffic. We got hom around half 5 after stopping off for some much needed food in Longford.

Over all it was a fantastic gig and AC/DC were amazing. They know who their audience is and don't try to be fancy or wow them with theatrics or se their fans as cash cows. They were there to rock, they did that along with 70,000 willing participants and at the end of the day what more could you ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,284 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Great thing if you did head over to Switzerland is you wouldnt have to put up with pissed up little scumbags and ****ing clowns who havent a bit of interest in being at the gig.

Not sure about that. A few mates were in Austria last week at a festival are their tent was attacked on numerous occasions when they were in it and the scumbags slashed it and put fagbutts through it while they weren't there.

Scumbags are in every country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

df1985 wrote: »
    you really think theyd close a national road for a concert?? what about all the people going to cork,limerick etc and vice versa? the locals im sure put up with enough having the concert near them.would be a bit cheeky to tell them you cant drive your car that day too.

Who said anything about closing a national road?
    Who said anything about locals not being able to use their cars?
    You simply pick a route for the buses to travel on, close the entrances to that road, put the traffic corps at the entrances to the road in question and you've got a straight line one-way run down to the gig. Not complicated. The motorway was fine. The road to the gig was clear. But the traffic was sent through the village where slack jawed locals were sat in their cars, seemingly amazed they were having trouble with their sunday afternoon drive. Moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

Fantastic gig as usual from the lads but the amount of people who were there just for a big p*ss up was unreal. They didn't have a clue what was going on and generally acted like a bunch of pr**ks. I mean why spend €80 on a ticket to see the greatest rock 'n roll band of all time and spend the duration off their face. There's nothing wrong with having a few drinks but c'mon. And I won't even go into the bus situation after wards but Holy S**t it was just plain ridiculous.

Overall a great day but not as good as the o2, mainly because the crowd at the o2 was better and more into every song and not just the 'greatest hits'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 soundgarden

just wanted to say i understand everyong being fed up with the bus service and crowd control after the gig but at least you all make it to the concert.

I went to the concert on a private bus from ennis and we were involved in a crash 3 of the passengers had to go to hospital with minor cuts and never to got the gig at all while the rest of waited was lucky enought to get another bus was late when we got there, no time to Q for a drink and by this time by head was starting to hurt and i had a sore arm from the crash but i was just glad to be there in one piece and enjoyed the gig. Like eveyone else was walking around in the dark fields with no idea where we bus was parked no one around to advise us or help and just found it by pure luck and got out of there in good time with no real delays but if was 4.30am when i did get back to ennis.

It was a great gig but i felf so sorry for the 3 who were sitting in hospital all evening and am glad to be alive today.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    that was last nite, the girl who flashed wasn't that far from me :P

I stand corrected so, my apologies...I'm the twit!

yes but this is not whitesnake or u2...it's acdc...you should have enjoyed the break from pretentious and condecending rock star whinging and rock out for 2 hours.

Whitesnake pretentious?... don't think so, they take the piss out of themselves if anything. Did really enjoy the show - it rocked start to finish.

Regarding the hordes of drunken idiots. I think a lot of people see a gig the same way they see a night out in town, an excuse to get so drunk they can barely funciton.

Stopping off in Longford to get a take away around half 2 I encountered the exact same behavior and levels of drunken stupidity from the people falling out of the clubs into the takeaway as I did at the gig.

Even really early in the day people were drunk beyond belief, a group of loud, obnixious Dubs sat down beside us around half 5 and not one of them could make a coherent sentence come 6. I didn't have a single pint, I was there to enjoy the gig and while I generally would have a pint or two at a gig the second I saw the line after the Answer I opted for a tea instead. Queued for about half an hour but drinking a nice warm cup of tea just as AC/Dc came on stage was well worth it.

Anyone who spends 80 euro on a ticket and then spends 2 hours in a queue for a pint or gets so drunk they can't function has no place at a gig. I actually believe that most fans wouldn't have cared if it was an alcohol free gig.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Who said anything about closing a national road?
    Who said anything about locals not being able to use their cars?
    You simply pick a route for the buses to travel on, close the entrances to that road, put the traffic corps at the entrances to the road in question and you've got a straight line one-way run down to the gig. Not complicated. The motorway was fine. The road to the gig was clear. But the traffic was sent through the village where slack jawed locals were sat in their cars, seemingly amazed they were having trouble with their sunday afternoon drive. Moronic.

no it wasnt, there was a road car route AND bus route, some drivers got their own ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

gandalf wrote: »
    I have sent a letter of complaint to MCD and sent a copy to Joe Duffy.

What's Duffy going to do, campaign to ban outdoor gigs? I swear this whole thing is blown out of proportion. You'd think ye were are going to see Cliff!
    hillerbees wrote: »
    I don't really have an issue with the guy smoking pot I just mentioned it by way of emphasizing how few gardai were knocking about.

They were probably knocking about somewhere they were actually needed, which is a good thing.
    Anyone who spends 80 euro on a ticket and then spends 2 hours in a queue for a pint or gets so drunk they can't function has no place at a gig. I actually believe that most fans wouldn't have cared if it was an alcohol free gig.

No, all those dirty drunks. No place at a ROCK gig at all! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Epic. Simply amazing. :eek: I got a wristband off some random guy! Thank you whoever you are! :) The gig was incredible. I didn't know any of the words but I rocked the fooook out of it! I got a headache though after The Answer, but for songs like Back in Black I didn't care about pain, I went mental! The stage was class, as was every other part of the day, except for the horrible walks. The Blizzards were grand in fairness. By no means am I a fan of theirs, but I have new found respect having see them do their thing in front of 50,000+ AC/DC fans, and did it well. They really can play. The Answer were grand. The songs sounded the same, I didn't mind though. they did well.

The pit was great fun! Blue! We had a ball, a blown up condom and tons of crowd surfers who didn't really want to surf. We had good craic though. I was right beside the walkway at the start then moved way forwards as the gig progressed. It was truly immense!

Thanks again to that guy who gave me the wristband. Legend! :D

The queues getting in were ridiculous, we weren't being allowed in at all. So I hopped the fence and ran! I got a few cheers from the drunken hecklers, they were class! They were giving the stewards a load of crap! :pac:

Edit: And I didn't drink. Best decision ever. I went home with money and I remembered everything. Drinking at gigs is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I thought it was a brilliant gig. Sure they play tunes that all sound the same, so bloody what. Oasis have made a carreer out every track sounding like a john lennon cover. Its AcDc ferfuksake. We hardly expected a string quartet playing Chopan or Bach:pac:

Angus is a legend and the show was one of the best i've ever seen.
    just look at the state of him in the lashing rain...What a rockstar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

LOL.:D:D:D:D:D

Whatever turns you on buddy....:)

But yeah thats a good a description as I've heard..

Am still trembling. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeyNT

My mate saw them in London Friday night and told me I was in for a treat. Despite the 4 hours to get there, the 5 mile walk, the rain, the stupidly long beer and food q's and q jumping, AC-DC did not disappoint....it was a real blast of a concert and I look forward to seeing them again but not in Punchestown, in fact not in this country, I'd go to London next time. Wherever MCD are not involved. MCD are profiteering cowboys. Organisation was appalling and completely half ass. The location isn't up to the task either.

Oh yeah, back to my point - So what's with the Irish ladies Vs the English? My mate said that practically ALL the ladies at the London gig got their boobs out when they got on the video camera. Only 1 solitary girl out of at least 20 who were zoomed in on did the honours at Punchestown. Bad show. Was it the rain or something else?!! :D

Advertisement