Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

does anyone think that for a band that's been on the go for about 40 years they were a bit sloppy? i wasn't impressed by the gig at all. don't think it was worth €80 at all

the €80 aside...say what now?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

dr oatker wrote: »
    Wow, two Hillsboroughs in a week. That term is thrown about very lightly on here.

I don't by any means use the term lightly, believe me - I was a young teenager at the time of Hillsborough so I remember it only too well. The same factors are there. Huge crowds, bad planning and organisation. Is it going to take someone's death before MCD take our transport and safety concerns seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

the €80 aside...say what now?:eek:

i just felt they were going through the numbers. i've seen the stones, eric clapton, neil young along with a load of other older bands, all been playing for years and fantastic. but acdc last night, they just seemed amateurish compared to other artists of similar experience

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

egoboo wrote: »
    Que's to the bar 45 minutes, €6 for a pint, you cant bring your own booze so you are basically being forced to get ripped off. .

Were you forced to drink? Didn't have a drop yesterday, it was one of the greatest gigs I'll probably ever be to and it'll live long in the memory. :)

i just felt they were going through the numbers. i've seen the stones, eric clapton, neil young along with a load of other older bands, all been playing for years and fantastic. but acdc last night, they just seemed amateurish compared to other artists of similar experience

Perhaps they just know their audience. At the risk of a beating, it is fair to say that a more civilised crowd would turn up for Neil Young, Eric Clapton etc?

ACDC are not highbrow, political etc. Just plan ol' fun to good tunes.

Would you have had the same demographics at both concerts?

• Advertisement

Perhaps they just know their audience. At the risk of a beating, it is fair to say that a more civilised crowd would turn up for Neil Young, Eric Clapton etc?

ACDC are not highbrow, political etc. Just plan ol' fun to good tunes.

Would you have had the same demographics at both concerts?

Well the demographic wouldn't have been a hundred miles off. But saying they "know their audience" surely doesn't relieve them of being more professional. I know I probably sound like a total knob, but I just wasn't that amazed at all. And I don't want to start a flame war with everyone on the forum, don't get me wrong, it was a great gig, it was an AMAZING gig, but I still think they should be tighter after all these years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

i don't understand - what was so amazing about them if they were so sloppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Well the demographic wouldn't have been a hundred miles off. But saying they "know their audience" surely doesn't relieve them of being more professional. I know I probably sound like a total knob, but I just wasn't that amazed at all. And I don't want to start a flame war with everyone on the forum, don't get me wrong, it was a great gig, it was an AMAZING gig, but I still think they should be tighter after all these years.
    Were you at the same gig we were? They were on fire. Angus was playing like a guy half his age. Brian's vocals, which can be strained sometimes when he's had a few gigs in a week, were excellent. I really don't know where you feel they were off. Are you seriously comparing them to Clapton, Neil Young et al. While they are top artists in their own right, their brand of music is pedestrian in comparison to AC/DC. It's like you are finding faults with a Mustang and comparing it to a Lexus. (That's my motoring analogy for the day used up :D)

RGDATA! wrote: »
    i don't understand - what was so amazing about them if they were so sloppy?

Well amazing in the sense that their songs are brilliant, there was a savage atmosphere and everyone I saw over the whole day was in great form

That is the point I was getting to...they are rougher around the edges..perhaps intentionally so?? and I think the audience/fan base have a lot to with it. Do the older bands even do non seating 70-80,000 venues anymore?

Are we really comparing like with like? ACDC are not pitching for middle class respectability in their old age. My last two concerts were Leonard Cohen and ACDC...two polar opposites and in term of the satisfaction value both were top class...(obviously the crowds were very different..lol)

The point being, the fans of Eric Clapton etc have grown up and have middle aged along with the band. They are respectable and more polished whereas ACDC are the complete opposite.

How were they not professional? I would say they were the most professional aspect of the whole evening...lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Furious-red said.....
    We pretty much would have got in for free cause we got a lift in with the gardai but when we went to the barrier this women asked us for our tickets but we ended up talking to the female steward who was dead on (she even said when see was working at slane or her husband was , she said that there were about 10,000/15,000 people who didnt have tickets and got in and also 100 dublin buses didnt turn up that night to bring people back)had great craic with her. We also thought that there wasnt enough stewards around , there was about 10 each side of the walkway but only 5 or 6 on our side(which was the right hand side of the crowd. Also the stewards around the place were useless since none of them knew where the main entrance was which wasnt suprising .

I`d have to take issue with the Female Steward`s husbands account of the Dublin Bus problems at Slane....the company eventually utilised 300 vehicles on the Gig.
    Granted it had to sail very close to the leglislative wind in relation to totally unrealistic Working Time administrative regulations,but it DID provide over and above what was required in vehicular terms.
    However it may as well have been 3,000 or 30,000 vehicles...cos if they cant access the location then they ain`t worth a hill o` beans.

Punchestown 09 ? Heavens above we are still a race which is very reluctant to LEARN stuff....especially the SIMPLE stuff.
    We can write poetry,sing songs and drink but when it comes to washing our own faces we always miss the bits behind our ears.

Some other local posters quite correctly point out the "Problems" asociated with accessing a venue via a network of minor roads and farm tracks...this "Problem" exascerbates rapidly when the vehicles are 11 metre long,2.55 metre wide double decks being forced to swerve about the place to avoid wobbly pedestrians...it just aint desireable !

However,I think Dublin Bus`s input to Pinchestown 09 went reasonably well,with only a few hiccups,again focusing on ACCESS...(Memo to Mr Dublin Bus...If we can`t drive a Bus to the venue in reasonable time,in reasonably safe conditions DON`T GO !!)

Organizers of such events really will have to decide as to what TYPE of Access they are going to run with.
    There is NO room for the current trend to mix Private Car,Pedestrian,Bus & Coach and hope they`ll get along....THEY WON`T :eek:

Once again it reverts back to the Concert Promoter and the Planning Permission conditions which they sign up for.

The Punchestown Park & Ride system was,not for the first time,deeply flawed.

Without getting too specific,there appeared to be issues surrounding the Capacity of the "Ride" element of the Park & Ride at Goffs which were added to by the need for this to serve Naas town also.

These issues relate totally to the Promoter and the contracts put in place to serve the P & R site/s.
    To the best of my knowledge the P&R Bus contracts did NOT involve Dublin Bus at all.
    It may well be that the private operator/s involved were not sufficiently resourced to offer the service level/capacity demanded by a 7,000+ vehicle site.

As I understand it the resultant capacity problem at the end of the Gig was only solved by Dublin Bus management agreeing to allocate extra resources to clear the numbers left milling around for transport back to Goff`s.

This,it seems, was NOT part of the Dublin Bus event contract,but underlines how major public events such as Punchestown/Slane CANNOT be serviced on-the-cheap.

Once again the essence of the job is simple...ACCESS..ACCESS..ACCESS...provide the unimpeded,clearly marked and policed ACCESS and vast numbers can be moved with relative ease :)

Deny that ACCESS and you might as well just organize a mass sit-down along the N7.

Mind you...THE idea of the thread has to be sticking yer bicycle in the boot and pedalling along the Highway to Hell itself !!!!
    There could be money in this for JC Decaux and their Dublin Bicycle Rental gig yet !!!! :P

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

That is the point I was getting to...they are rougher around the edges..perhaps intentionally so?? and I think the audience/fan base have a lot to with it. Do the older bands even do non seating 70-80,000 venues anymore?

Are we really comparing like with like? ACDC are not pitching for middle class respectability in their old age. My last two concerts were Leonard Cohen and ACDC...two polar opposites and in term of the satisfaction value both were top class...(obviously the crowds were very different..lol)

The point being, the fans of Eric Clapton etc have grown up and have middle aged along with the band. They are respectable and more polished whereas ACDC are the complete opposite.

How were they not professional? I would say they were the most professional aspect of the whole evening...lol

I think you have a good point there, you're right that the rawness is what makes them pretty special. I think I was just expecting something more along the lines of the performances of the other old bands I've seen. Ah well, it was what it was, some people loved it, some (well, just the one from what I've read and heard) didn't. Either way I'm glad I went. Pain in the hole getting there all the same, but great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Have to say - best gig i've been at in years. What a show! O logged on here to compliment the car park organisers but was surprised to read some comments on here. We left after the last song and walked the 20 mins or so to the Blue Car Park. Got into the car at about 12.00 and was home in Bray by 1.00. Or maybe we were just jammy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kitfit

Excellent gig, AC/DC Rock! Pity about the rain. Pity that MCD exist.

Support were probably good, if you could hear them. They were definitely not using the full complement of speakers which were probably reserved for the headline act.

I fail to understand how the Gardai and MCD who are in this game for a very long time and have had months to plan and organise the event got it so wrong.

Inside the event was as good as could be expected, the only real queues were for beer, we went up twice which took 10-15 mins each time (Before AC/DC) and once for food (During AC/DC) which took 5-10 mins.

MCD need to put a lot more effort into on-the-day logistics and proper queue management post-gig. The Gardai need to WAKE UP and prioritise Buses which they did NOT do on the day.

How do companies like MCD get a licence for this sort of thing? Surely this should be only granted on a performance basis? If they failed to organise an 80,000 (Slane) event, how the hell are they allowed to repeat this the following week?

In my eyes, MCDs only saving grace is 'Oirishness' that has idiots rearranging and jumping barriers, and queues, and pedestrians deliberately walking in front of buses to hold them up.

Aren't MCD the same people organising Oxegen next weekend in the same venue? Maybe it'll be third time lucky. We'll know next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

What A day. Parked in Newhall park and Ride.Got there at 2pm 3 buses waiting.Got to the Venue and 3pm.Slight Delay.

Concert was Amazing Acdc wow was a show they put on.

The Answer could not even make them out .Taught they were rubbish.

Blizzards despite all the talk on here no one booed them or threw anything at them.
    U could see them were nevrous at the Gig and gave it their best.They played very well and i was impressed by them.

And all u people who say u will never attend a gig outside Dublin again.Great make more Tickets for the rest of us:D

Stay at home if u can handle a bit delay.I was delayed as well for hrs but hey it is Ireland nothing runs right here from goverments to concert.Surprised at how shocked people are on how it is run.

80,000 + all leaving at the same time what do you expect .

And one last thing be great as a non drinker if Alcohol was banned at gigs.
    So many Fcuking idioits drunk at 5pm and just being in the way.
    People must have loads of money to spend 76.50 and never ever get to see the concert as they are too Drunk:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

iRock wrote: »
    Yeah? There was a girl beside me taking a panic attack. The steward would NOT open the barrier or call a Garda over when asked. I left the gig immediately after hearing AC/DC. I got the bus to Goffs park and ride.

There was hardly any traffic on the road to Longford heading home. I arrived home at 6.45 thismorning. The only time that I was left standing was while I was waiting for park & ride bus.

jasus i live in dublin and i finshed round 3.45, one by 5. not a car or bus in sight

Can't understand all this 'music snobbery' in this thread. Stop comparing them to other bands/acts like Neil Young etc. Completely different styles of act. AC/DC were just a straight-up, no-nonsense f**cking rock band! End of! :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kitfit wrote: »
    Excellent gig, AC/DC Rock! Pity about the rain. Pity that MCD exist.

Support were probably good, if you could hear them. They were definitely not using the full complement of speakers which were probably reserved for the headline act.

I fail to understand how the Gardai and MCD who are in this game for a very long time and have had months to plan and organise the event got it so wrong.

Inside the event was as good as could be expected, the only real queues were for beer, we went up twice which took 10-15 mins each time (Before AC/DC) and once for food (During AC/DC) which took 5-10 mins.

MCD need to put a lot more effort into on-the-day logistics and proper queue management post-gig. The Gardai need to WAKE UP and prioritise Buses which they did NOT do on the day.

How do companies like MCD get a licence for this sort of thing? Surely this should be only granted on a performance basis? If they failed to organise an 80,000 (Slane) event, how the hell are they allowed to repeat this the following week?

In my eyes, MCDs only saving grace is 'Oirishness' that has idiots rearranging and jumping barriers, and queues, and pedestrians deliberately walking in front of buses to hold them up.

Aren't MCD the same people organising Oxegen next weekend in the same venue? Maybe it'll be third time lucky. We'll know next week.

This is complete and utter shi-te.

The main problem with this gig was the poorly organised traffic plan, which would have very little or nothing to do with MCD. The blame for this lies at either the gardai or naas town council. Not Dublin bus or MCD.

Any more trolling of this nature and yes i called it trolling will get a ban. The fact that you mention 'MCD' seven times in your post leads me to believe that you're just trying so cause trouble.

If you wish to continue this further - PM me. Do not reply to this on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

DUBACC wrote: »
    Have to say - best gig i've been at in years. What a show! O logged on here to compliment the car park organisers but was surprised to read some comments on here. We left after the last song and walked the 20 mins or so to the Blue Car Park. Got into the car at about 12.00 and was home in Bray by 1.00. Or maybe we were just jammy! :D
    well you see you were bold and didn't do what you were told!! If you obeyed the masters you would not have brought your car and you would have parked in goffs, because the shuttle busses had priority over everyone and were going to be ushered in and out before all other traffic...
    Normally i would drive and park like you did, but this time i listened to the advice on the web and parked in goffs....DISASTER!!

DUBACC wrote: »
    Can't understand all this 'music snobbery' in this thread. Stop comparing them to other bands/acts like Neil Young etc. Completely different styles of act. AC/DC were just a straight-up, no-nonsense f**cking rock band! End of! :cool:

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH BABY...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Anyone know how many people were there?

I've read in this thread that it was 80,000; 120,000... But my understanding was that Punchestown can only hold 70,000 and they were still adveryising tickets on the morning of the show?

there was nowhere near 120k there, punchestown holds between 70 and 80k so there was somewhere in that number, proabably closer to the 70k mark i would estimate

my experience, we left dublin at 4.30pm with dublin bus, once we reached goffs it was total gridlock, waited for about 20 mins and got off the bus at 6.20pm and started to walk (we were still about 2-3km from naas on the dublin side :(), the number of people walking was insane, it seemed like everyone had abandoned their buses on the road (every dublin bus we passed was empty), started to rain as we turned down the lane for punchestown, a further 4-5km walk from there and we arrived at the venue at just before 8pm

gig finished at roughly 11.20pm, mad crush for dublin bus coming out, we had a bus but once the people broke through the barrier everything was just complete madness, waited and waited for ages until a steward told us to walk toward the road to get a bus, wouldn't you know it all the buses parked up waiting while the crowd was half a mile down the road waiting :mad:

garda held our buses up until 1.30am, back in dublin at 2.30am

overall great gig, terrible terrible organisation and i have been to punchestown before at sold out shows, never this amount of hassle

well you see you were bold and didn't do what you were told!! If you obeyed the masters you would not have brought your car and you would have parked in goffs, because the shuttle busses had priority over everyone and were going to be ushered in and out before all other traffic...
    Normally i would drive and park like you did, but this time i listened to the advice on the web and parked in goffs....DISASTER!!

Yeah, i've read some of the reports - sounds like a nightmare. The car parks at the actual venue weren't too packed tbh.

I know we didn't do what we were told - feels so wrong yet feels so right!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

Aspro wrote: »
    Seriously, I don't care about the weather, the traffic, even the 2 hour walk to the gig - it's the fact we could have had another Hillsborough on our hands. Is it going to take a death at a large scale event like this before we wake up?

And imagine the tabloid headlines then - Stampede Death at rock concert - drunken idiots rampage - Minister says all outdoor concerts to be banned...

Comments like this one make me seriously wonder how many other rock events you people have actually been to. When you actually do go to a slightly disastrous event what are you going to call it then, Hiroshima?

I was there and witnessed nothing I've never seen in England in all the times I've been to large outdoor gigs/festivals. Took us a bit long to get out but I expected that. My only real gripe would be that the only beer around was Hineiken but that's just me being a baby because I couldn't bring my Smithwicks in! :D

The gig was fantastic. Didn't even hear the Wizzards, took my mate's advice and went for some beer instead and watched two squares complain about the noise because two of our lot were dancing about (any of ye?) before returning to see The Answer who's sound was unfortunately quite low but I'll get over it, ACDC totally rocked. Ill remember this forever, Hillsborough my arse. Have some respect!
    Heinrich wrote: »
    If it had been any other group than AC/DC I would have been home by 9.30 p.m. The late start was an insult and the effing group should have been met with a stony silence followed by hissing and booing!

That comment made me LOL. Booing indeed (boo hoo more like).
    well you see you were bold and didn't do what you were told!!

Like every good rocker!

I can honestly say, it rocked hard. I'm shocked to see that some people left before the end, what's up with that?

Anyway...

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK, WE SALUTE YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

And one last thing be great as a non drinker if Alcohol was banned at gigs.
    So many Fcuking idioits drunk at 5pm and just being in the way.

Well to use your own logic
    but hey it is Ireland
    what do you expect? :)

And I don't drink at gigs either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

does anyone think that for a band that's been on the go for about 40 years they were a bit sloppy? i wasn't impressed by the gig at all. don't think it was worth €80 at all

Do you play guitar yourself?
    What were you expecting? A human sacrifice live on stage or something?

You'll do well to find anyone that plays as good as that Live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

The crowd handled themselves very well given the atrocious conditions into which they were put - we all deserve a pat on the collective back :)

Still can't stop thinking about the gig. My poison of choice are the Stones or The Who - but my soul has never been rocked and shaken right to its core like last night -

In one moment I screamed out to a mate that it was like being f**ked by God - if such a thing is possible :o

I will never forget this gig as long as I live, and thankfully for the right reasons :cool:

Sorry for going OTT :o

iRock wrote: »
    Do you play guitar yourself?
    What were you expecting? A human sacrifice live on stage or something?

You'll do well to find anyone that plays as good as that Live.

...been playing 12 years buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pye wrote: »
    I can honestly say, it rocked hard. I'm shocked to see that some people left before the end, what's up with that?

Anyway...

I would say a lot of them were people who werent hardcore enough to stand in a crush for two odd hours to get a bus back to goffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

Live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Right, well then there is nothing more I can add. You obviously know your stuff and clearly AC/DC were sloppy.

Advertisement