Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Was the setlist the same as the gig in the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

just a few of mine

rlb0ns.jpg

33w60s1.jpg

k0ls2.jpg

Was the setlist the same as the gig in the point?

yes except they added dog eat dog to last nights set

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hillerbees

Roanmore wrote: »
    People were leaving long before the encore and in big number.

AC/DC were brilliant, my only gripe with them (and it's a small one) was that there seemed to be too much of a gap between songs. Maybe the lads are getting old and needed the break. Was delighted with Dog Eat Dog and TNT and Shot Down in Flames.

I drove to Naas from Waterford and parked there. Lads had a few pints in town but the queue for the shuttle bus was too big so we walked out. Took about 40 mins. Stayed to the end of the gig and walked back. Didn't even go near the queue for the bus back to Naas. Got back to Waterford at about 2.30.

My brother thought the gaps between the songs were a bit too much as well but really when you think of the songs they play, they have such big opening riffs to them you would lose the vibe if you tried rushing the songs together or making a medley out of any of them.

I'd have a bigger issue with the gaps between the bands, whats the point of warm up acts if there is going to be an hour's gap between them. I know the human pyramids were a bit dangerous but they were great for killing the time. Awful pity the pretty girl in pink on the top of one of them stopped one layer short in her strip tease though, a game lass all the same fair play to her.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yes except they added dog eat dog to last nights set

Nice, it's more older songs like that that their setlist needs I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Sinderella

I am truelly baffled by the amount of idiotic people that were at that gig.
    Totally agree! I wouldn't know where to start to tell you the things I saw and heard.

One of my fav's was in the Q for the bus home, blonde behind me to the poor unfortunate she was with:
    "Why don't we get in that Q for the bus?" (points over there)
    Poor unfortunate: "because this is our Q"
    Blonde:
    "well I don't know why we're Q'ing for a boat... I don't understand why we have to get a boat home when we didn't have to get a boat to get here"
    :confused:

Her complaints about the boat were endless. I felt like punching myself in the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Ardent wrote: »
    Seems like the N7 was a disaster yesterday - I read somewhere the official blame is being put on people ditching their buses and walking, further slowing traffic?
    Yeah, saw that. Strange excuse! The only reason people got out of the buses was cos they were stuck in gridlock traffic that shows no signs of moving

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

rossie1977 wrote: »
    just a few of mine

rlb0ns.jpg

Highlight of the night for me...along with the first few chords of "for those about to rock", proper goosebumps and shivers down the spine moments :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

I thought AD/DC put on a great show last night, but the fecking queue in the barriers to get a bus home really wrecked the day, thousands of people sitting a queue that is not moving, no garda or stewards walking around keeping order to stop people just vaulting the barriers and walking straight up to bus.:mad:

Crowd was fantastic during AD/DC great atmosphere.

Het-Field wrote: »
    As a rule, the Blizzards tend to be way more cockey. Wait until Oxegen 2009 when they will be preening like peacocks, to a musically moronic crowd, whose musical knowledge extends to the chorus of the middle of the road bands who they are willingly subjecting themselves to. Just wait unti Kings of Leon (who I do have a lot of respect for, and are not particularly "middle of the road" like 99% of Oxegen's line Up) start singing "sex on fire", and you will see what I mean.

However, The Blizzards were clearly, consciously understating themselves. They knew their audience, and didnt want to be there. Hence they willingly let "The Answer" trump them on the bill. They were there by accident, and made no bones about that. Plus, I respect the crowd for not giving them dog's abuse. It was good that way.

They saved themselves dogs abuse by coming on first...there could have be a riot otherwise. Sound for support acts was rubbish, its time big bands supported their support acts and share the speaker system, catwalks etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Clarehobo wrote: »
    Dublin bus - The queueing system was stupid. They should have barriers erected to stop people going onto the road so buses could get through(and to stop people cutting up along the road and skipping the queue).
    The storming of the barriers was because one steward (Shrek as one guy christened him) kept opening the barrier to allow people out because they said they were "in the wrong queue". This happened a few times then some guys behind me rushed the barrier: should I stand there to be crushed as everyone ran over me to escape the queue - not a chance! Saw the cops get physical with a few guys.
    There was one steward who went above and beyond when there was a crush onto the bus he got in the doorway to control the crowd and he was not a young fella - if you are reading, thanks for that!. All the rest were idiots.

But in all fairness MCD organised the car park. They had one lane out for buses which was being blocked by Dublin bus pickups - maybe I am oversimplifying but there should have been two lanes: left hand lane to allow Dublin bus to stop for passengers, right hand lane for all traffic and for Dublin bus to pull out into when they were full.

Common sense did not reign out there yesterday.

All that said - loved ACDC. I will definitely go to see them again. Will save a lot of money and get a helicopter next time or else go out foreign.

Yep the whole system in place for Dublin Bus was a disaster, it is amazing no one got seriously injured. What is really pathetic is that they had the lesson of Slane a short time before and they didn't seem to heed it at all.

I have sent a letter of complaint to MCD and sent a copy to Joe Duffy. It was their responsibility to ensure the processes and facilities were in place to allow their customers to get to and from the concert safely and efficiently.

The concert itself was good, got down early enough to get into the pit (and watching some of the crushes behind me made me very glad of being in there, saw quite a few pulled out of the front of the main crowd suffering from being crushed). The Blizzards were like a crap Scissors Sisters, The Answer were better than they were in the O2 (I think they gave them better sound this time :) ) and AC/DC rocked (not as much as the O2 but thats probably because I knew what was coming). I'll never forget the shiver I got down my spine looking back at the main crowd going crazy to Thunderstruck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I've uploaded most of the photos, apologies for the blurryness in, well, most of the pics but its hard to get good pics when your working with a 3.2MP camera phone and a lot of shoving arms around you :p
    I was up against the barrier in the o2 gig so pic taking was easier.

AC/DC @TheO2:
    http://tinyurl.com/m3d4yb
    http://tinyurl.com/mzuzka

AC/DC @Punchestown
    http://tinyurl.com/n7fuya

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Might as well throw in my 2 cents, absolutely fantastic gig, was blown away. Had been waiting to see these guys for years (couldn't make it to the o2) and it was even better than I imagined it would be. Don't think I'll be forgetting that solo or everyone going nuts to Thunderstruck for a while :D

As for the transport, was smack in the middle of the rush for the barriers/buses...it was pretty awful, some poor girl near me got pretty badly crushed. And to make it worse, our bus almost broke down on the way back...was a nervous couple of minutes!

Once again: F*ck me, what a gig

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Quadsey

opening bands were rubbish, sound wasn't great and i've never seen so many people blind drunk and pissing where ever they saw fit in my life.
    AC DC were great but the sound kept getting muffled every couple of minutes.
    The rain was the ultimate pisser on a mediocre day and only made the fore mentioned even more unbarable.

OH and i hope HB rot in hell,charging €5 for a flimsy poncho 3 hours after the rain started. disgracefull!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Sinderella

A bit off topic, but for anyone who has entered the Rock n Roll train competition, you haven't a hope!
    I heard this morning it's being sabotaged by a certain radio station who want the prize so they can give it away themselves... :eek:

They are currently in the lead, morons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

gandalf wrote: »
    I have sent a letter of complaint to MCD and sent a copy to Joe Duffy...

What's the point of sending it to Joe Duffy?? Is he working for MCD now? He's hardly going to sort things out? All he needs is whingers to come on air to fill his show. Ideally stuff that's low on facts, lowest common denominator which means that you can keep it going for a few days. Anyone body get the mumps at AC/DC?

At least you have taken the correct course of action by addressing your issue to the promoter.

I still think people are avoiding the real issue here. It's not concert organisation - it's the disgraceful behaviour of Irish music fans at events. There is no social or civic responsibility and everyone else is as fault.

I'm just back from a gig in Hyde Park, huge crowd, concert organised in exactly the same as any outdoor gig in Ireland but yet the fans don't behave like, to be frank, animals as they do in Ireland. I saw particular situations that I know that if it was in Ireland that they would be out of control. No wonder people like going abroad to events where people behave themselves and everybody enjoys themselves and the best can be got out of every service provided.

I think collectively the Irish music fan needs to have a good long look at themselves in the mirror.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

gandalf wrote: »
    It was their responsibility to ensure the processes and facilities were in place to allow their customers to get to and from the concert safely and efficiently.

eh i'd maybe think about that statement again mate... its a lil bit off...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Didn't think AC/DC were anything special.

The problem with them is that their songs are so samey that it's hard to enjoy fifteen of them in a row.

They consist of (generally very good) metal opening guitar riff, a verse that is either hard to understand or is just bad, followed by a chorus that consists of shouting the name of the song a dozen or so times.

A great guitarist is the only thing that saves them and his solo in the rain was without a doubt the highlight of last nights gig.

Forgot to mention the transport. Would have been fine had the gardaí done something to help keep the traffice moving, but all they did was direct cars to whatever car park they needed to get to.

Going home though was fine. Got a bus in about fifteen minutes and was back home by about quarter to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

ALL I CAN SAY IS CLASS, acdc WERE AI BEST I HAVE SEEN,

WE DROVE IN THERE AT 3 O CLOCK GOT STRAIGHT IN AND LEFT AT ROSIE AND WERE BACK IN GALWAY AT 1.15 UNREAL!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

I havent been to alot of concerts, but that gig was something else!!!!!!!! i will allways rember it!! and was about 10 or 15 foot away from angus when he was doing his solo:D:D:D... i was delighted!! i hope they tour again and come to dublin, Was EPIC!!!

Waited 2hours for a bus back to goff's but it was free so i cant really complain..... The only complaint i have over the whole gig was none of the stands had any of the ac/dc boxers left :( i really wanted a pair.....

Also i noticed when i was on the bus to goffs when dublin bus saved the day that when i got out of the place itself the guards were letting everyone out but no one in... that would explain the wait.. but well worth it to see acca dacca!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

u know most people dont want a lot of interaction with the crowd, ur there for a rock n roll show not a social interaction!

What a load of bull...the best live bands/performers in the world are the best LIVE bands because they interact well with their audience... Queen, Whitesnake, U2, Status Quo to name but a few. If you don't want the social interaction between band and fan and between fan and fan buy the record or dvd and stay in your shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sick Monkey

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

AC/DC were worth every penny! Best gig I have ever seen.

Some thoughts on the other stuff like buses and MCD.

your gonna have to expect rain/walking/queing for any out door gig in Ireland but you would expect some decent organisition somewhere along the way!

I thought the venue was not over packed and under facilitated (which I was expecting) you could go for a drink, food or a piss without too much bother it was just the the buses that were a nightmare and the paying 20 quid for that long walk into punchestown in the rain was a bit of pisser.... but for me the stewards and the gardai at the end of the night trying to pretend there was some type of controlled system for getting onto the buses <snip>

It was like the last daysof Rome after that...seriously at one stage it looked like they were trying to exavucate the earth before a meteorite Strike!

MAYHEM!:eek:

Top Day though :D

WHAT A GIG! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jyd

I went to see AC/DC inn Paris...over 80,000 people...brought my kids...we got the metro to the stade de france, walked in, had a burger and drinks (no queuing), gig was amazing (as expected) , great seats and big screens, stayed for the fireworks and then strolled out to the train ten-15 minute walk, waited ten minutes boarded train, no crush seats for everyone...thoroughly enjoyable...why cant we do it properly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Mickswizard

snip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Yes I am copying and pasting my post from the R&M forum.

It was good. I don't really care for AC/DC, they're just too repetitive for me, they seem almost autistic in the way that they've been doing the exact same thing for pretty much all their lives. They've pretty much been playing the same "Greatest hits" shows, breaking out the same old props and tricks that they've had for what seems like forever. And I just can't stand that.

They were entertaining though, even though were I was standing they kept losing the crowd, less than warm reception to the stuff off Black Ice compared to other songs, but all the older songs people seemed pretty into it. Very solid live show, pretty funny when the Rosie doll was fully inflated except for the head, and the head just kind of popped out of the body. And Angus going nuts on his scissor lift just looked iconic in the rain with the light beaming onto him. So it was a well done show, but for me, doesn't rank even close to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

In fairness though you cannot compare a fantastic modern stadium like Stade De France to a field down a narrow country road but I do know where you are coming from. Away trips for gigs in the future me thinks , hopefully Landsdowne when completed can be used to take some of the gigs and no more treks to ****holes like Punchestown and Marley Park.

triv88 wrote: »
    "The Jack" Punchestown 28/06 Great sound quality

There were so many babes on the big tv for this one ,the directer and camermen did well !!!

Boob alert @ 1.53

Angus strip tease @ 4.30 !!

That was all video tape from different shows ya twit....Irish girls don't get them out for the lads at rock shows because its rude!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chattyk

****ing brilliant idea - well done Dude!

hillerbees wrote: »
    That was all video tape from different shows ya twit....Irish girls don't get them out for the lads at rock shows because its rude!!!:p

that was last nite, the girl who flashed wasn't that far from me :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Great gig. Stopped going to the bar around 6 but there were no q's up until then, dunno about afterwards.I thought the park and ride worked well. Arrived in Goffs at 3.10 and was queueing outside punchestown at 4.00. Afterwards had to wait about an hour for a bus and it took around 30 mins to get back through the traffic,it was no bother considering the size of the crowd.

Some of the abuse the people in the queue for the buses were giving the security staff was disgracefull, especially seeing as there were children in the q's.

Didn't mind the rain either, kept me nice and cool throughout!:D

Advertisement