Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭wildsaffy

Darko,

Camera.

Pointing wrong way.

Ha ha .... the puppies were there for everyone to see lol

:P

wildsaffy wrote: »
    Darko,

Camera.

Pointing wrong way.

I know but you think one of your friends would have spotted the opportunity. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hobbit stomper

Darko,

Camera.

Pointing wrong way.

God damn it! Where were you :P

Oh wait....let's hope your a woman and we're not talking about man-boobs here ;)

Great concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've read more posts about bad organisation that the gig...

I'll just say this,

I've seen giants of Rock live.
    -Paul McCartney - amazing
    -The Who - amazing
    -Rolling Stones - amazing

But last night was the greatest rock concert ever !
    I don't think i'll ever see the likes again, and I'm only 24

Also, for all those complaining about transport etc, make sure you never attend Slane, last night was easy to get home from compared to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

SeantheMan wrote: »

I'll just say this,

I've seen giants of Rock live.
    -Paul McCartney - amazing
    -The Who - amazing
    -Rolling Stones - amazing

But last night was the greatest rock concert ever !
    I don't think i'll ever see the likes again, and I'm only 24

This is not meant to be sarcastic by any means, but you just proved a point for me with some friends from work.

I've seen all of the above bands, and they were all were past their 'sell by date' before you were born.

Everyone of them a good time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

What Rock Concerts Are About:

1. Queues
    2. Smelly toilets
    3. Drunken Idiots
    4. Waiting ages in between band changes
    5. Rain
    6. Getting Squashed
    7. Bad sound for the poor supporting bands
    8. Great music from the headlining band (AC/DC had GREAT sound)
    9. Getting rained on
    10. Feeling lucky to get home alive

If you don't factor all this in you should stay at home and knit a chastity belt. And DON'T take your kid to a rock concert and complain that the kid got scared......sheesh!

:
    That should read 'Rock Concerts in Ireland'.

In Europe it's a completely different ballgame. I went to a France's biggest festival Helfest a week ago, which has a reputation for being one of the less well-organised festivals.
    It was 112 euro for 3 days - that's over 100 bands and included all your camping.

There were about 60,000 people.
    Queues getting in and out were less than five minutes.
    The toilets were cleaned regularly and always bad bogroll., Queues again were less than ten minutes.
    There were four stages, as soon as one band finished another started on another stage. The entire list of over 100 bands started and finished on time.
    There were first aid teams everything to take care of those who passed out through drink
    It was 2 euro a beer or a glass of excellent muscadet.
    The sound was great
    and it didn't rain...

It was unlike anything in ireland organised bythe monopoly MCD who couldn't care less about the ustomer - you give them the money then yoiu are damaging live music in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Jumpy wrote: »
    One question though. How does an old fella like Angus move his fingers that goddamn fast?

That solo in the rain on the raised centre podium is a memory that will stick with me for life. Absolute genius.

Oh. To the chick who got her tits out on the giant screen "WE SALUTE YOU!"

He aint all that.....

It was all just for show , he actually bored the hell out of me with that solo and im a guitar player

Show was good, i thouht the band were slowed down a bit on a good few songs , but i guess age has to catch ya up sometime.

End up walkin back to nas , too us an hour then drove back to kildare .

Tazz T wrote: »
    That should read 'Rock Concerts in Ireland'.

In Europe it's a completely different ballgame. I went to a France's biggest festival Helfest a week ago, which has a reputation for being one of the less well-organised festivals.
    It was 112 euro for 3 days - that's over 100 bands and included all your camping.

There were about 60,000 people.
    Queues getting in and out were less than five minutes.
    The toilets were cleaned regularly and always bad bogroll., Queues again were less than ten minutes.
    There were four stages, as soon as one band finished another started on another stage. The entire list of over 100 bands started and finished on time.
    There were first aid teams everything to take care of those who passed out through drink
    It was 2 euro a beer or a glass of excellent muscadet.
    The sound was great
    and it didn't rain...

It was unlike anything in ireland organised bythe monopoly MCD who couldn't care less about the ustomer - you give them the money then yoiu are damaging live music in Ireland.

Taz - I suppose if AC/DC weren't as good then I would have been moaning more .... however I do remember Glastonbury not being like the above (plus the watered down beer) ... and we had mad fun - didn't shower for 3 days 'cos the queues for the showers were too long...and that was part of the "adventure".

You can't blame MCD for the rain though :confused: although an excellent glass of muscadet would have gone down well.

(Newsflash) - the puppies are dry and indoors now :D - they might come out once more before the end of summer

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

I have to say I couldn't disagree more with all the people saying that the crap organisation is all part of the Rock n Roll experience. It couldn't be further from the truth, not spending money on a gig by the promoter is done for one reason and one reason only - to maximise their bloody profits from the event it has nothing to do with Rock n Roll. The way some people are talking here you'd swear being crushed getting on to buses or having to walk 10km to get in was better than the band.

AC/DC were awesome by the way and made up for the rest of the day but we shouldn't have to accept this kind of service for the price we're paying to get in to the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

gandalf wrote: »
    Oh and here is a positive piccie (again apologies on the quality but the camera on the phone is ****e!).

28062009295.jpg

Thats a camera phone shot? It looks arty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

To those who left before this started. Man it sucks to be you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blaagirl

Had fantastic day at acdc. Parked in red car park no bother. got into the pit. thought sound was fantastic and the lads rocked. best gig i ever saw. they havnt lost it. stayed till end of fireworks after the encore, was back at the car is less than 15 minutes, got out of car park straight away and was in hotel room in dublin by 1am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Just thought I would jump on board. Waited about 30 years to see AC/DC in concert, and it was worth the wait. They were insanely brilliant. You got over the rain, because there comes a point where you cant get any wetter :)

Only downside to AC/DC (i.e. the band) was Angus's solo... I got a bit tired of it TBH, especially when he went back up onto the main stage.

Other than that, the organization was crap. Seriously, I can tolerate a lot, but having just one exit and no lights for 60,000 people seemed a tad rediculous, along with the Dublin bus' inability to manage their customers. If I understand correctly, I believe they actually had enough Double Decker buses (I saw them parked with my own eyes!), but they either didnt have enough drivers or couldnt get through to their pick up point. Took 4 hours to get back to Dublin. I have seen better organized muppet shows.

I would go to AC/DC again in the morning, but will probably never go back to Punchestown, or at least when MCD/Dublin Bus are involved.

As a side... I Saw the Bee Gees in the Olympic Stadium in Sydney with 100,000 people in 1999. The organizers there shifted those people in under 2 hours using trains, buses and motorways. Different class when you know how to do things properly. It was actually a pre-Olympic test run for the venue.

Muppet Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

What a fcuking night!

I've waited since I was 11 and I wasn't dissappointed.
    They rocked beyond belief!!!

As for the $hit organisation, unfortunately that is always guaranteed.

I never ever use public transport for gigs/festivals. Its asking for trouble. I've been going to festivals since Feile and I've used the tried and tested plan for years and its the only way.

Never approach the site/venue from the Dublin side. Overshoot and get to the other side and/or go around. In this case the road to avoid at all costs was the N7. Predicably the busses got stuck at Goffs leaving people to walk 2 hours to the site. Usual clusterfcuk with Dublin Bus/MCD and AGS.

Never use public transport as I said been at this 20 years and the organisation never fails to be anything other than utterly shambolic. Expect that. Mitigate for it.

From Dublin drove to Maynooth via the N4 for 5 o clock =40 minutes.
    met everyone.
    Drove to Naas in 25 minutes through Clane and Sallins. Parked Sarto end of Naas.

Walked out the Craddockstown road, was there in 40 minutes 6 or 7 cans down. The whole journey from Dublin to Punchestown took just under 2 hours.
    Shuttle busses are a waste of time, Shanks mare is your only man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I've heard so many complaints now about the (lack of) organisation, busses, facilities etc. And some very disparaging comments about MCD.

Has anyone actually gone to their website to complain directly?

I've just done so, and I would advise others to do the same.

http://mcd.ie/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

This is not meant to be sarcastic by any means, but you just proved a point for me with some friends from work.

I've seen all of the above bands, and they were all were past their 'sell by date' before you were born.

Everyone of them a good time though.

I think you're totally wrong,
    Given the fact that anyone who went to see ACDC on Sunday..who...according to you are "past their sell by date"...will tell you that it was one of if not the greatest rock'n'roll concert of recent years !!

And as for Macca, he is still the greatest living musical genius in the world, and can still blast out any of his tunes as good if not better than when he was in the beatles. I'd pay anywhere up to 700 and travel anywhere in europe to see him again.
    Rock doesnt have a sell by date ;) , and theres no accounting for taste. You'll never see/hear the likes of them bands again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blaagirl

totally agree with "oh the humanity" about not using public transport for concerts, always use the car and have never had any probs. have lots of friends who follow the advice of the organisers and use public transport. always ends in disaster and ruins what would have been a good day out. car is a much better idea, even if you get held up in car park or on the road at least you'll be warm and comfy insted of queing in the inevitable rain/cold for a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Given the fact that anyone who went to see ACDC on Sunday..who...according to you are "past their sell by date"...will tell you that it was one of if not the greatest rock'n'roll concert of recent years !!

Rented mule has a point. These ancient rockers are really cover bands of themselves, same with the Rolling Stones. Very enjoyable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

My complaint was not the concert( I wasn't there) I live close to the venue and could sit in my garden and listen to the whole concert, it rocked.
    But, due to the time it was taking for the buses to get to the venue, people just got off the bus,got over the hedge and took a Piss, or worse outside my house. The mess in the morning was just dire.

I understand that, when you have to go, you have to go. Surely the organiser's could have arranged a few portoloos along the routes.

Now with Oxeygen in two weeks time, I have to put up with it again, and this time over a three day period.

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Thanks for the link. Sent an email to MCD for all the good it will do.
    The only complaint I had was the shambles of a bus service at the end. I usually drive to gigs so lesson learned, driving is better than the public transport. Fool I was to listen to MCD. I don't want to be in the bus queue next time cos it is going to kick off at one of these gigs and people will be hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

I also mailed MCD today. For all the good it will do. I can't believe I left an AC/DC cocert early because I was worried about getting waiting hours for a bus, it took us 4 hours from goff's on the way in. I work in Galway at 7am.
    MCD are a bunch of ball bags. Can't wait to see the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Seen the public transport issues that occured with the oxegen concert, I took the car with my friend. We queued for 2 hours before getting out of the car. It wasn't moving at all

There was murder at the gate with the traffic warden and some guys started to throw full water bottles at them. They were not alternating the traffic and thought we had skipped the queue. It's only after it started to heat up that they decided to let our queue out.

The concert was absolutely great. We were in the blue pit right at the grid of the central runway and we couldn't have been any closer to the guys. We saw them at the point in 96 and even though we were close, it's the closest we've ever been. So to me, it was well worth it, even bearing the car park issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liamo08

blaagirl wrote: »
    totally agree with "oh the humanity" about not using public transport for concerts, always use the car and have never had any probs. have lots of friends who follow the advice of the organisers and use public transport. always ends in disaster and ruins what would have been a good day out. car is a much better idea, even if you get held up in car park or on the road at least you'll be warm and comfy insted of queing in the inevitable rain/cold for a bus.

Well I had mates who drove from Dublin and spent 4 hours travelling each way so I don't think you were much better off in the car if you were using the car parks that they recommended. As people have said above the best bet of getting in quickly was to come at the venue from anywhere but Dublin or the N7 to be specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Here's a question for everyone. Did anybody even see one black person there?Because out of the thousands of people that I passed, not one of them was black.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

You're actually proving my point for me. The reason we go to these shows (myself included) is because there aren't bands like this anymore. That's more of an indictment of the music industry than it is the bands.
    And as for Macca, he is still the greatest living musical genius in the world, and can still blast out any of his tunes as good if not better than when he was in the beatles. I'd pay anywhere up to 700 and travel anywhere in europe to see him again.

Had a very good time at McCartney both times that iI saw him live. It was an honour to be in his presence.
    Rock doesnt have a sell by date ;) , and theres no accounting for taste.

Rock itself doesn't have a sell by date but it's performers do. I will agree that there is no accounting for taste.

It is also the idea that if you give a starving man a cracker, he will think it is the greatest thing that he has ever eaten. (Thanks to Eddie Murphy for the anaology)
    You'll never see/hear the likes of them bands again.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm 41 years old and I am still going out to see these bands perform these songs, but I have been going to their shows since 1980.

You should have seen them (AC/DC) then. Incredible.

The show on Sunday was good (measured by the standard of what they once were).

This isn't uncommon in music (or life). I have seen the greats of Rock, Blues and Metal. We all get old and lose a step or two. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My complaint was not the concert( I wasn't there) I live close to the venue and could sit in my garden and listen to the whole concert, it rocked.
    But, due to the time it was taking for the buses to get to the venue, people just got off the bus,got over the hedge and took a Piss, or worse outside my house. The mess in the morning was just dire.

I understand that, when you have to go, you have to go. Surely the organiser's could have arranged a few portoloos along the routes.

Now with Oxeygen in two weeks time, I have to put up with it again, and this time over a three day period.

Rob

I know!! I was on a bus and the carnage going on against the private hedgerows between the cross and the venue was unreal.....definitely worse than i have seen in the past.....i'd say the smell was rank the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

chewed wrote: »
    I've heard so many complaints now about the (lack of) organisation, busses, facilities etc. And some very disparaging comments about MCD.

Has anyone actually gone to their website to complain directly?

I've just done so, and I would advise others to do the same.

http://mcd.ie/contact/

I wrote them a letter this morning.

Basically telling em that the stewarding was nothing short of shambolic at the bus queues.
    I also told em I've been to many many concerts, but when those barriers came down and the buses were stormed, it was a truly dangerous situation, and we are lucky nobody got killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

An AC DC concert in Norway on Wednesday (18Feb09) night ended in chaos, after traffic problems outside the venue led to violent clashes with police.
    The rockers were playing at the Telenor Arena at Fornebu, just outside Oslo and long jams before the gig left many fans walking for miles along the town's main highways to reach the event.
    After the gig had wrapped up, problems for fans continued with stationary traffic and a lack of public transport, leaving many people stranded.
    And the post-gig furore turned nasty, according to Norwegian website Budstikka.no, with many fans venting their anger on police officers - throwing bottles at patrol cars and tearing down fences erected to control the crowds.
    Local police blamed poorly organised transport systems and frustrated alcohol-fuelled rock fans for the breakdown of order after the gig, according to the website.
    No arrests were made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KrazyLikeafox

I hear what your saying, we all dont mind all of the above, its a concert. And we accept that a lot of people dont know how to behave, or respect others, just a sign of the times i guess.

Obviously ACDC were unbelievable, everyone knows that. But what i experienced around the whole day was not acceptable in this cpuntry, and public safety was a huge issue. We can put up with all the rest of the things, but we should never have to put up with a safety risk like we did. I am surprised that people did not get seriously hurt or even killed . I am not usually one to complain, but I have to write to MCD about this, and am very interested to hear their excuses. We put up with too much in this country.

There is no point in blaming anyone else except the people responsible to organise this. They knew what to expect, and this is not the first concert held in Punchestown.

Advertisement