Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The crowd handled themselves very well given the atrocious conditions into which they were put - we all deserve a pat on the collective back :)

Still can't stop thinking about the gig. My poison of choice are the Stones or The Who - but my soul has never been rocked and shaken right to its core like last night -

In one moment I screamed out to a mate that it was like being f**ked by God - if such a thing is possible :o

I will never forget this gig as long as I live, and thankfully for the right reasons :cool:

Sorry for going OTT :o

LOL.:D:D:D:D:D

Whatever turns you one buddy....:)

But yeah thats a good a description as I've heard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

Declan30 wrote: »

And one last thing be great as a non drinker if Alcohol was banned at gigs.
    So many Fcuking idioits drunk at 5pm and just being in the way.
    People must have loads of money to spend 76.50 and never ever get to see the concert as they are too Drunk:rolleyes:

I understand where you are coming but alcohol is not the problem,its the minority that abuse it obnoxiously.

I don't think there would be half the same atmosphere if there was none involved at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Pye wrote: »
    Live?

I've been known to play live from time to time yes

iRock wrote: »
    Right, well then there is nothing more I can add. You obviously know your stuff and clearly AC/DC were sloppy.

Ah come on ladies...put down the handbags...I know we are all excited and high after this truly wonderful experience last night.

We are all a bit emotional and teary...but lets not spoil it...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well to use your own logic

what do you expect? :)

And I don't drink at gigs either.

alcohol bans at gigs would be pointless, most of the people who drank at the gig were already drinking from early morning, on the train, on the buses out, in naas, the road from nash to punchestown was littered with cans, bottles etc, i saw mutiple people getting sick on the side of the road and we were still 2 miles from the venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Re my previous post about music snobbery - who was the genius on here who claimed that the 'target audience' (what is this, a fkg marketing seminar??) was not middle class, etc?? The 6 lads in our van last night were made up of Solicitors and Accountants - that's the beauty of AC/DC. They have such a broad audience from all walks of life - doesn't matter where you're from or what you do, we (all 80,000 or so) were more than happy to wait hours in the rain, endure crap organisation, etc to rock with them!

For those about to rock......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Ah come on ladies...put down the handbags...I know we are all excited and high after this truly wonderful experience last night.

I'm with you here partyguinness. C'mon lads, let's hug it out :hug:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hillerbees

William72 wrote: »
    there's something else at play here folks. have been to gigs in punchestown b4 and seen many many gig crowds pass through over the last few years with no hassle at all. Up until yesterday was thinking that it was one of the better venues. Yesterday was by far the worst I've seen there. With Oxegen I know people arrive over a few days so that makes it easier but even previous once off gigs there was never this kind of traffic chaos. The police presence yesterday seemed well down on previous years - don't the promotors pay for this? Are there not minimum numbers that have to police these events. No point in blaming dublin bus - traffic was just not moving and thats down to promotors/guards. So the question is - are we seeing less policing of these events now? Slane and now this? Is it down to penny pinching? Having to leave a gig before the end to make sure you get home is a disgrace and seems to be coming the accepted norm - we should not be accepting that!!!

You've hit the nail square on the head. There was damn all police presence about yesterday. At 5 in the afternoon I saw a lad openly making a bong out of a plastic drinks container to smoke his joint through. There was virtually no gardai at the venue and none overriding the traffic lights in Naas to ensure the traffic flowed onto the empty motorway. It is poxy management on the part of MCD and poor support from the Gardai. I'll bet there were dozens up at Croake Park and at that thingy with the President.

70,000 punters paid €82.50 each, total income of €5.8 million to split between band, promoters, ticket agents etc. surely there is enough included in the price to let people get to and from the gig properly. If they can't do it right they should avoid these fiascos in future...we can fly Ryanair to the UK and see any number of excellent stadium shows run well for little extra cost and a whole lot more enjoyment.

AC\DC rock;) - MCD suck:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I don't understand how anyone could say they were sloppy. Rather than beating round the bush : F*&ck*n .....

Thats that.

Unreal Live, have to say I really enjoyed the gig. Only hope Metallica are half as good Live (even though I've really gone off them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Thought the gig itself was excellent, managed to get pit passes and an excellent spot but with that in mind was not as good as the o2 gig in april, the smaller crowd and the fact there were no problems getting out made it a perfect night. (some pics: http://tinyurl.com/m3d4yb and http://tinyurl.com/mzuzka )

Stayed till the bitter end last night, agree transport and queue situation was a mess and the most of the stewards wern't doing their jobs properly. Still consider myself lucky to be back in dublin by about 2am.

Didn't get that many decent photos from last night as opposed to the o2 but heres a couple:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39950529@N03/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

hillerbees wrote: »
    At 5 in the afternoon I saw a lad openly making a bong out of a plastic drinks container to smoke his joint through.

A guard arresting someone for smoking a joint would be a bit of a waste of their time though don't you think? What harm could he do anyway, hug everyone to death?

DUBACC wrote: »
    Re my previous post about music snobbery - who was the genius on here who claimed that the 'target audience' (what is this, a fkg marketing seminar??) was not middle class, etc?? The 6 lads in our van last night were made up of Solicitors and Accountants - that's the beauty of AC/DC. They have such a broad audience from all walks of life - doesn't matter where you're from or what you do, we (all 80,000 or so) were more than happy to wait hours in the rain, endure crap organisation, etc to rock with them!

For those about to rock......

I said that...and in fairness you are making the same point I was making you have picked me up wrong. I was using that to highlight differnecs and that comparing with Eric Clpaton etc was not reasonable. AC/DC appeal to everyone..they are not highbrow, pretentious, politically motivated etc.

Our bus of 10 had:

1. Software Engineer
    1. Solicitor
    4. PhD Science graduates
    3. Council Planners
    1. Plumber (unemployed)

No pouncy analysis of the lyrics or technical ability of Angus afterwards...:D..just more beer cracked open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

grimm2005 wrote: »

Didn't get that many decent photos from last night as opposed to the o2 but heres a couple:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39950529@N03/

They arel great pics! thanks

Fair enough partyguinness - i must learn to read, but then again my ears are still ringing after last night!!!

You get my point though and i just laugh at a lot of posters on here - makes me wonder did they even get mammy's permission to come out. Oooh the nasty man is a bit drunk, its raining, etc!! :D

Anyway - i thought the gig was fkg great!!

Grimm - cracking photos mate. Was it just me or did anyone else have a sexdream last night in bed about rosie straddling the rock'n'roll train!!! :cool::eek:

iRock wrote: »
    Unreal Live, have to say I really enjoyed the gig. Only hope Metallica are half as good Live (even though I've really gone off them).

Definitely! I hope so too about Metallica. Rock on!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hillerbees wrote: »
    You've hit the nail square on the head. There was damn all police presence about yesterday. At 5 in the afternoon I saw a lad openly making a bong out of a plastic drinks container to smoke his joint through. There was virtually no gardai at the venue and none overriding the traffic lights in Naas to ensure the traffic flowed onto the empty motorway. It is poxy management on the part of MCD and poor support from the Gardai. I'll bet there were dozens up at Croake Park and at that thingy with the President.

70,000 punters paid €82.50 each, total income of €5.8 million to split between band, promoters, ticket agents etc. surely there is enough included in the price to let people get to and from the gig properly. If they can't do it right they should avoid these fiascos in future...we can fly Ryanair to the UK and see any number of excellent stadium shows run well for little extra cost and a whole lot more enjoyment.

AC\DC rock;) - MCD suck:mad:
    Smoking a joint at a open air summer gig? the mad fecker!!

Pye - Metallica are brilliant live. Saw them last year in Marley Park and again this year in Manchester in March. Totally blasted everyone away - cracking stuff. Did a brilliant version of Whiskey in the Jar too!

You get my point though and i just laugh at a lot of posters on here - makes me wonder did they even get mammy's permission to come out. Oooh the nasty man is a bit drunk, its raining, etc!! :D

+1 :D
    Grimm - cracking photos mate. Was it just me or did anyone else have a sexdream last night in bed about rosie straddling the rock'n'roll train!!! :cool::eek:

No. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Thanks, i got a lot more and a good few of the answer aswell but many of em turned out very blurry, i got much better ones in the o2. ill post again when i get them all uploaded

• Advertisement

Smoking a joint at a open air summer gig? the mad fecker!!

I know right! :rolleyes:
    Pye - Metallica are brilliant live. Saw them last year in Marley Park and again this year in Manchester in March. Totally blasted everyone away - cracking stuff. Did a brilliant version of Whiskey in the Jar too!

Wicked!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I saw Metallica a couple of years ago in the RDS & they were crap. Swore I'd never go to see them again. Which is a shame cos I've seen them do fantastic gigs, like Donington in '95...

Might go to Marley this year to see AIC though...

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Left the Dublin bus on the N7 and walked like everyone else - I don't think it made it for the start of ACDC. Saw tons of empty Dublin buses.
    Should have been a one way system in place and turn off the lights in the town to allow it to move freely. Also should have been Gardai at every junction to direct traffic.
    Dublin bus should have gone down the N81 and avoided all that mess on the N7.[/traffic rant]

Lots of idiots at the gig: but there always is at these big concerts. Thankfully most of them had gone so mad early on they were ready for bed two songs into ACDC's set:D[/idiot rant]

Queues for food weren't queues- just people milling in from all sides.[/food rant]

Queues for drink moved fast: only waited for 10 mins. The limit of two drinks was annoying - heineken only got €12 of my money because I couldn't face trekking back for more drink.

Pyramids were really funny. Good effort. We were surrounded by three at one stage so no matter who fell we were going to cop it. The old guys/skangers/fat guys nearest us were the most entertaining - they couldn't get past two layers until all the other pyramids around us joined in to help.

ACDC - wow! They are the definition of rock. Stage props were unreal - esp. Rosie. Sound was really good where we were standing. The guitar solo in the rain will never ever be forgotten! Those boys are hardcore.

Dublin bus - The queueing system was stupid. They should have barriers erected to stop people going onto the road so buses could get through(and to stop people cutting up along the road and skipping the queue).
    The storming of the barriers was because one steward (Shrek as one guy christened him) kept opening the barrier to allow people out because they said they were "in the wrong queue". This happened a few times then some guys behind me rushed the barrier: should I stand there to be crushed as everyone ran over me to escape the queue - not a chance! Saw the cops get physical with a few guys.
    There was one steward who went above and beyond when there was a crush onto the bus he got in the doorway to control the crowd and he was not a young fella - if you are reading, thanks for that!. All the rest were idiots.

But in all fairness MCD organised the car park. They had one lane out for buses which was being blocked by Dublin bus pickups - maybe I am oversimplifying but there should have been two lanes: left hand lane to allow Dublin bus to stop for passengers, right hand lane for all traffic and for Dublin bus to pull out into when they were full.

Common sense did not reign out there yesterday.

All that said - loved ACDC. I will definitely go to see them again. Will save a lot of money and get a helicopter next time or else go out foreign.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Sinderella

Pye wrote: »
    A guard arresting someone for smoking a joint would be a bit of a waste of their time though don't you think? What harm could he do anyway, hug everyone to death?
    :D

grimm2005, excellent photos

Ah, it's hard to get a good pic or video when you can't stand still lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELiVmIAE34s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Clarehobo wrote: »
    Queues for drink moved fast: only waited for 10 mins. The limit of two drinks was annoying - heineken only got €12 of my money because I couldn't face trekking back for more drink.
    The bar to the left of the stage were handing out 4 drinks each!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Absolutely fantastic gig. AC/DC put on a hell of a show both musically and with the spectacle part. Was in the third row of the pit so had a great view of the gig too.

I quite like the Blizzards and have seen them before but it seemed to me they wanted to get it over with as quick as they could probably recognising that this wasnt their crowd. The beat it riff was the highlight of their short soujorn on stage.

The Answer got the crowd going with their cheesy balls out rock. The lead guitarist was excellant but TBH i dont think the band could write a decent chorus to save their lives.

Trying to get on a Dublin bus was a nightmare. Organisation was abysmal. Nobody knew where to que and people ran up and down frantically pushing each other to get on a bus. A few signs or marks showing where buses were supposed to stop would have done the world of good. Of course there would still be pushing and shoving but it would have been organised chaos at least

Anyone think the rain put a dampener on the evening? :D(Pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Drove in from Bray yesterday, leaving at around 4 and eventually made it to the venue by around 7. Was expecting the traffic so wasn't too worked up bout that at all.

Didn't really pay too much attention to the Answer but, christ almighty, AC/DC were amazing. Having travelled over to New York last November to see them in MSG, I have to say that yesterday's show will stick in my mind as the much better gig. Great stage with the Rock N Roll train and big Rosie! As many others have said, my abiding memory will be Angus' endless solo in Let there be Rock. The image of him giving it his all on the elevated stage with the rain cascading down is a memory I will never forget.

We knew after going to Bon Jovi last year that there'd be a delay getting out of the car park but in fairness it seemed much better organised this time round and we were back in Bray by just after 1 o'clock.

All in all, twas a good day, a great gig and something to tell the grandkids about in the future!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

Quint wrote: »
    The bar to the left of the stage were handing out 4 drinks each!

Aargh! Oh well! The queues for the toilets were too long anyway - if I had 4 pints I'd have had to have paid a visit: one time in them was plenty!
    Plus my body is in bits without having a hangover:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Wow, looks like we dodged a few bullets transport-wise last night. So glad I ignored the official advice about Park & Ride and instead decided to drive to the venue. Our experience:

Left Dublin at 4 PM and took the N81 to Blessington. From there, followed the signs for the red car park and we got to the venue around 5 PM. Traffic was non-existent all the way bar a minor tailback going through Blessington where some agricultural festival looked to be going on.

Only gripe at the concert was the queues for beer prior to AC/DC coming on. The pyramids were great craic.

We left before the encore and drove straight out of the car park and back the way we came. Again, no traffic and back in Dublin in under an hour.

Seems like the N7 was a disaster yesterday - I read somewhere the official blame is being put on people ditching their buses and walking, further slowing traffic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cindoa

Seems like the private cars did a whole lot better than the bus passengers in terms of accessing and leaving the site. Only one lesson can be learned from this: No-one will trust Dublin Bus or other Bus operators at any future major gig, so everyone will use cars, which will cause chaos and total gridlock - again. In other words, unless you live within walking distance of the rural venue, don't bother going!

Advertisement