Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Punchestown 28/06/09

1192021222325»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

Dcully wrote: »
    Yes it was a truely awesome show,despite being cold and wet the rain made it even better.
    Epic Epic show that will live with me forever.
    Imagine how much better the night would have been if Lizzy played :)

The only other gigs as good in my opinion were U2 in Slane or Queen in Slane,Nirvana in the point was excellent too.
    Looking at U2s new stage and videos from Barcelona i reckon it will be up there with ACDC.
    Two very different bands that know how to put on a live show but for now i cant get the ACDC show out of my head and ive gone to many many gigs.
    Although the rest of the day was a disaster im proud that one of the greatest gigs ever in this country was held in my County :)

+1 and +1

I can't get this gig out of my head either; the performance and atmosphere were both surreal and magical. Hassles aside, we were all so fortunate to be there that day.

Picked up U2 tickets this morning (even though I don't like them) as I imagine the approach to the staging of the actual gig itself will be similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

gandalf wrote: »
    Opinion piece in the Sunday Tribune about last weekend.

http://www.tribune.ie/news/editorial-opinion/article/2009/jul/05/ferdia-macanna/

Once again this piece points to the atrocious behaviour of Irish fans. How closely supervised do they need to be? How come crowds in Europe are self policing and don't behave like this? I was a gig in Hyde Park and there were "pinch" points where people had to Q to cross a road - no pushing or shoving, nobody trying to skip or to try and climb over barriers further down the street. A colleague of mine was at Blur last weekend in Hyde Park. the cops were using cordon tape to corale the crowds at Marble Arch. How do you think that would work in Punchestown?

Time to stop blaming everybody else but ourselves or pehaps we move to a situation where everyone has a steward or security guard assigned to them to protect them from themselves.

I mean even the less bright amongst us would be able to deduct that if the average bus takes 50-80 people that it is going to be some time before the q would move.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭dingbat

BrianD wrote: »
    Once again this piece points to the atrocious behaviour of Irish fans. How closely supervised do they need to be? How come crowds in Europe are self policing and don't behave like this? I was a gig in Hyde Park and there were "pinch" points where people had to Q to cross a road - no pushing or shoving, nobody trying to skip or to try and climb over barriers further down the street. A colleague of mine was at Blur last weekend in Hyde Park. the cops were using cordon tape to corale the crowds at Marble Arch. How do you think that would work in Punchestown?

Time to stop blaming everybody else but ourselves or pehaps we move to a situation where everyone has a steward or security guard assigned to them to protect them from themselves.

I mean even the less bright amongst us would be able to deduct that if the average bus takes 50-80 people that it is going to be some time before the q would move.
    Simply put, your comment reveals that you obviously weren't there. This was not about getting a bit frustrated because you had to wait for a while, this was about getting crushed because thousands of people were being ushered into the same place with nowhere to go, with both stewards and gardai ignoring the rows and rows of queuing pens which had been placed there precisely to avoid such a situation.

One thing that mystifies me about some of the responses in this thread is this: we are talking about an ACDC concert with the typical punter not likely to resemble your average Barbara Streisand/Britney/Westlife attendee. And if even we are complaining that it was unsafe and dangerous then people really, really should sit up and listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Once again this piece points to the atrocious behaviour of Irish fans. How closely supervised do they need to be?

Fundamentally wrong. If you replaced all the "atrocious" Irish fans with stone cold sober Japanese fans (from a country where politeness is a way of life), you'd have exactly the same result. Crushing deaths on the Japanese subway are far from unknown. Very large crowds are not "self policing", they are by the nature of human psychology, exactly the opposite. At a gig in Hyde Park you have several things Punchestown lacks:

1) A Comprehensive, well planned, well drilled and above all properly implemented crowd management plan.
    2) Very large numbers of well-trained police who have decades of experience in large crowd control.
    3) An organiser who will not take chances or cut corners on staff training, deployment, or monitoring.
    4) A local and national government, and a society that will not repeatedly ignore previous failings of the same organiser.
    5) A culture that does not subscribe to the "Ah sure, it'll be grand" attitude we have here.

What type of physical barriers you use at these events is not as significant as:

1) How the barriers and queues are policed and monitored
    2) Making sure that the people at the head of the queue are being moved out as quickly as possible.

I was at Oxegen before - this would not have happened because there were stewards in the queue, and stewards at the buses. This year, there were none.

And surely the slowest among the organisers knows that if each bus takes 80 people, then you need to load the buses at a certain rate in a controlled manner to keep the queue moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

And surely the slowest among the organisers knows that if each bus takes 80 people, then you need to load the buses at a certain rate in a controlled manner to keep the queue moving.

+1

And surely the organisers know they need to keep the road clear to let the buses through and have enough drivers for the volume of buses there. There was actually a lot of buses there as I discovered at the end of the night (empty & parked in a field 1/4 mile away), but seemingly no (not enough) drivers.

Muppet Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Absolute nonsense imo. There was nothing wrong with the crowd at Punchestown, everything wrong with the organization. From the queuing lanes at the beer tents to the toilets, the bus 'pens' and lack of lighting it was a mess, an absolute mess. AC/DC rocked but that had nothing to do with the promoters and as regards the 'unruly' crowd this is just another cop-out on your behalf.

Some basics like lighting, easily accessible beer queues (plastic flooring perhaps so we can at least make it some distance back without tripping over field) and toilet areas that can cater for numbers without the semi-immersion of punters feet in other peoples body waste (ie plastic flooring perhaps?).

If you want to make comparisons with European gigs then might I make one myself. Follow their example and stop taking us for muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In fairness to the English, when you walk out of a gig over there you will not see cops standing around like muppets. They control the entire crowd, and not visa versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

its like if you ever watch that programe traffic blues on rte 2 with the irish cops and then watch road wars on sky you see a completely different approach in cops!!!
    the one on rte 2 you get a warning, on road wars ur fcuked!!!!!!
    irish cops are just laid back r something..... i heard off one of the guys workin in goffs at the gig that it was because of the cops that slane was so bad as they cut the road off a fair bit away..... Typical Irish way of handling a event, cut everything off and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Also, regardless of who is playing........ a gig is a gig.....

I heard that various entities involved took their eye off the ball at acdc, because it was assumed that 80000 wrinkley rockers would be easlily managed.

Naas hospital for example were not expecting to be so busy.

Naas hospital for example were not expecting to be so busy.

Where there were many hospitalized???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

To the poster above who called Irish fans "atrocious", don't forget that MCD royally f*cked up the Barbra Streisand gig in every way possible - so it's not a question of AC/DC crowd being just rabble. That's the copout that the promoters want.

The crowd last Sunday week contained themselves admirably given the situation; really, really well actually. I was at Madonna in Cardiff last August and the behaviour on the streets both before and afterwards was far worse than Punchestown (and the gig sucked :()

The one thing i will i will rember about this gig is being 10 to 15 feet away from angus doing his solo in the lashing rain:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Mcd did **** up and a 2 hour wait for a bus is a pain but i dont really mind cause it was one epic gig!!!!! will never forget it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any way it was kind of expected tho.... getting busses up country roads to punchestown then nass then goffs then punchestown...plus nothing ever goes right in ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JimmyO

Any way it was kind of expected tho....

And there's the crux of the issue.

It shouldn't be expected. We pay over the odds for tickets in this country as it is.

We should expect to be treated with respect.

I know we can say that we should vote with our feet and not attend these gigs, but that's not going to happen. Can you imagine if MCD managed to get Led Zep to play Slane for example. How many people would say they won't by a ticket simply because of issues they have with the promoter?

The focus needs to be thrown on those who grant the licences. There needs to be stricter penalties written into these agreements and they should be enforced!!

If it's put to the local council as a way of making more money you can be sure they'd get on board!!! And if these penaties were to harshly affect MCD's profit margin they would certainly get their act together.

How could MCD possibly protest against any proposed penalties? If they did, it would be an admission that they can't do their job correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Night_Prowler

Can anyone recall the entire set list for the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about this, but does anyone know the name of the noodle bar that was at the consert in naas,

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Back in Black Bean Sauce :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

A whole lota curry sauce :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

''wok 'n roll'' were definitely there, they do lovely noodles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

RIP Malcolm Young. Thanks for the incredible music.

Punchestown 2009 was one of the greatest gigs ever seen in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Very lucky to have seen AC/DC 6 times. Malcolm played at 5 of them. Always understated but a true great. One of the pioneeers of heavy metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Only time i saw them was in the Aviva in 2015 but sadly not with Malcolm

Rip to him a true legend and under rated guitarist. Hopefully someday we see a doc on the whole history of ACDC showing Malcolms true musical talent

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Agreed
    Yep. It was some day. The rain didn't stop the fun. One of the unforgettable memories of that day was Angus soloing away in his shorts, high up on the cherrypicker lift out in the crowd, in the pouring rain, getting soaked along with the rest of us. He was silhouetted in the raindrops in the spotlight against the rain darkened sky. Loads of people snapped that brilliant image on their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Goreme wrote: »
    Yep. It was some day. The rain didn't stop the fun. One of the unforgettable memories of that day was Angus soloing away in his shorts, high up on the cherrypicker lift out in the crowd, in the pouring rain, getting soaked along with the rest of us. He was silhouetted in the raindrops in the spotlight against the rain darkened sky. Loads of people snapped that brilliant image on their phones.

The rain didn't matter at all that day. Earlier on it was fine. It's as if the rain arrived on cue for effect.

The transportation that day was nuts. The bus from town stopped at the Storm Cinema Naas and we had a two hour walk to the site.

Getting home was the like the last scene of Titanic.

Advertisement