Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,019 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

alfalad wrote: »
    2 pairs (cause i really like them and i may not be able to get them again) of Gore Retro mitts in white.

Very nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Lumen.

Am in the same predicament. Backpack it to work everyday. I find that my shorts are rarely that wet in the evening. I would be more annoyed with wet socks.
    I have to see these shorts, they look fredtastic.

BTW, if people are looking at wet gear. The Great Outdoors on Chatam street were doing a clearence sale on Sealskinz socks and gloves a few weeks back - they may have some left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Lumen wrote: »

3) Due to (2) I have to use a full backpack, which when combined with lycra makes me look like a triathlete-fred.

The ultimate offense to euro sensibilities. Anything to avoid this is justifiable.

Besides, I think in an appendix to the rules it says the fakenger look is the only acceptable option during utility cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The navigation on the 705 is very good (presuming you have the maps.) I have done several long cycles with it across Ireland and there is no need to stop to faff with a map. Have also used it in Spain, Italy and France. It is not quite as good as a car GPS due to the small screen and lack of via point functionality but it is certainly the best option for a bike.

@ROK ON- do you remember what sort of price the Sealskins socks were? They used to be €40 at full price in the Great Outdoors (I bought some there in a moment of emergency) while they are around €26 from CRC, so the discounts would want to be heavy.

• Advertisement

And these are a stop gap till i can justify the Rapha white leather ones!

I look at them every day, wondering will today be the day I buy them. But I simply cant justify the price. Now that we are in the rainy season (until our summer next May), I think they would get wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

ROK ON wrote: »
    I look at them every day, wondering will today be the day I buy them. But I simply cant justify the price. Now that we are in the rainy season (until our summer next May), I think they would get wrecked.

Oh these would be special occasion only gloves! They would not be used during the winter unless it was a) warm enough and b) i was sure it would stay dry!

I quite like the gore ones so hence i would be happy to wear them the rest of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

There should be a couple of dry days in September.

I have the marginally less ludicrously expensive criterium gloves and they've survived quite a few soakings with no apparent ill-effects (apart from the dye running all over my hands) and you can (hand)wash them. Not that I'm trying to encourage you....

blorg wrote: »
    @ROK ON- do you remember what sort of price the Sealskins socks were? They used to be €40 at full price in the Great Outdoors (I bought some there in a moment of emergency) while they are around €26 from CRC, so the discounts would want to be heavy.

Cant remember exactly, but much less than that. I bought 2 pairs and had change from a 50note IIRC. Was 2 weeks ago. They had white and navy? Ankle length and much larger.
    Oh yeah, its not in the main shop nut in the outlet stoor across the road, next to Steps of Rome pizza place.

Cant remember exactly, but much less than that. I bought 2 pairs and had change from a 50note IIRC. Was 2 weeks ago. They had white and navy? Ankle length and much larger.
    Oh yeah, its not in the main shop nut in the outlet stoor across the road, next to Steps of Rome pizza place.

I work beside it so will be popping in at lunch!

• Advertisement

Lucky beggar, working near Steps of Rome. Great pizza and coffee. The broccoli pizza really is good.

Lucky beggar, working near Steps of Rome. Great pizza and coffee. The broccoli pizza really is good.

Ah yes it is a nice spot alright. Never tried the Broccoli though, i must give it a go next time i'm in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Smithzer

5246_l.jpg
    The jersey not Cancellara, supposed to be saving for holiday, misses going to murder me. Nicest jersey in the tour IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

2 pairs (cause i really like them and i may not be able to get them again) of Gore Retro mitts in white. €35 a pair!

And these are a stop gap till i can justify the Rapha white leather ones!

They have those Retro mits in Cycleways. I've 2 pairs blsck & White.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Smithzer wrote: »
    5246_l.jpg
    The jersey not Cancellara, supposed to be saving for holiday, misses going to murder me. Nicest jersey in the tour IMO.

Where did you buy it?

Vélo wrote: »
    They have those Retro mits in Cycleways. I've 2 pairs blsck & White.

Thats actually where I got them. I did get a pair from wiggle in medium but they were too small so i'm sending them back and then I saw them in cycleways!

BTW, if people are looking at wet gear. The Great Outdoors on Chatam street were doing a clearence sale on Sealskinz socks and gloves a few weeks back - they may have some left.

Euro rules would be broken as they have none in white, only olive green, black, blue etc. Still picked up a pair in black mind you i'll just have to make sure i get a pair of white over shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

5246_l.jpg

Are you the Swiss road racing champion?

Nope....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Blorg now has aerobars (and he cycles in SPD sandals FFS), so I decided to wander into the road like the consumer sheep that I am, and hope that I can scrape under 90 minutes in next week's 40km TT.

Ah come on Lumen, I can't believe you bought a product with "Carbon STRYKE" written on the side :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I hope you will at least peel/scratch the stickers off it.
    It even has IRONMAN written on it, you can't be serious.

Lads who's hacked into Lumen's account and posted this crap.....own up....;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Nope....

Well then! I hope you never bump into Fabien while out cycling. He might not like you wearing his jersey ;)

I'll bring a red marker in my pocket and colour in the cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

lafors wrote: »

This is nearly as bad as the fiat punto I saw one day with a Ferrari badge on the front wings.

I hope you are taking a piece of sandpaper to them as soon as they arrive?

lafors wrote: »
    Ah come on Lumen, I can't believe you bought a product with "Carbon STRYKE" written on the side :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I hope you will at least peel/scratch the stickers off it.

MTB shorts and tribars on the same day, the shame! :)

Yes, I intend to remove the decals. Apparently they're bloody good bars, so I had to put aside my aesthetic reservations.

I now have absolutely no excuse for dodging the TT...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They full length bars or stubbies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

mloc123 wrote: »

I'm old enough to know better, but that phrase makes me think of midget p0rn.

mloc123 wrote: »

Full length. I thought about getting some draft-legal stubbies, then realised I had no idea what I was talking about so got the ones recommended by Steve Hogg (bike fit guru).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Is this the I should have left the credit card at home thread or the I secretly want to look like a triathlete thread?;)

Full length. I thought about getting some draft-legal stubbies, then realised I had no idea what I was talking about so got the ones recommended by Steve Hogg (bike fit guru).

Just curious - do you have to go back on the hoods/drops to change gear/brake.

If so, what do you lose in terms of aero benefit each time that you have to do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just curious - do you have to go back on the hoods/drops to change gear/brake.

If so, what do you lose in terms of aero benefit each time that you have to do this?

Yes, I think its roughly 1.35 aeros..

Advertisement