Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

CheGuedara wrote: »
    +1 - if you're gonna go, go all the way!

LINK

then you'll need a 10spd cassette LINK

Maybe there's something in this 'the boards made me buy it' thing....

Hmmm, that would add about €200 to the total price.
    I'd be getting into the selling my bike and just buy a new one territory there, don't really want to do that.
    IF I did it, I'd need to replace my front & rear dérailleur plus my chain aswell!

Nah I think I'll stick with converting as a 9spd, then sell it on when I do want to upgrade and buy a full carbon ;)

So should I go for Ultegra or the 105 shifters I had linked to earlier?

Oh and I've been trying to order some Schwalbe Ultremo R Evolution in blue, but can't find them in stock anywhere. Any ideas where I could get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lafors wrote: »
    So should I go for Ultegra or the 105 shifters I had linked to earlier?

If you're going 9sp, what's wrong with Tiagra?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd say 105 or Tiagra would do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Fair enough +1 on 105/tiagra if sticking with 9spd so - no sense in going to greater expense if there's a new machine in sight not so far down the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Just to throw a spanner in the works.
    If you can see yourself moving to a roadbike from a hybrid, then if it was me I wouldnt change anything with your bike, but put the cash aside to get a nice roadbike.

Any money spent now, is money that you wont really get back on a resale - better to bide your time and wait for a new bike.

Also, having seen the bike on the ROK, why bother change the bars - its a fine bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ROK ON wrote: »
    If you can see yourself moving to a roadbike from a hybrid, then if it was me I wouldnt change anything with your bike, but put the cash aside to get a nice roadbike.

Any money spent now, is money that you wont really get back on a resale - better to bide your time and wait for a new bike.

Also, having seen the bike on the ROK, why bother change the bars - its a fine bike.

Good point. It all depends on budget. If you see yourself buying a road bike in the next year, then save your pennies and at them to the new bike fund. If you want something to do you for a while, then upgrade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

hrmm 4 Boxes Caffeinated Forest Fruits gels @ 111euro.....probably should have erased the cc number from my brain.....

Four boxes? Jesus. Are you planning to live on them or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

el tonto wrote: »
    Four boxes? Jesus. Are you planning to live on them or something?

Have you not met the guy? He is part fly or something, he only eats sugar. It's also why he talks a mile a minute, I think he is permanently on a sugar high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Have you not met the guy? He is part fly or something, he only eats sugar. It's also why he talks a mile a minute, I think he is permanently on a sugar high.

On the epic boards spin when we stopped for lunch after 90k, after coming over Slieve Maan and Shay Elliott, everyone else was ravenous and tucking into food, even though we had only taken a cake stop 10k before, and Neetch ate nowt.

Actually, after greasing up his hands trying to fix a chain niggle, I think I did see him lick his fingers.

• Advertisement

lukester wrote: »
    On the epic boards spin when we stopped for lunch after 90k, after coming over Slieve Maan and Shay Elliott, everyone else was ravenous and tucking into food, even though we had only taken a cake stop 10k before, and Neetch ate nowt.

Actually, after greasing up his hands trying to fix a chain niggle, I think I did see him lick his fingers.

I tried his sugar diet on the ROK, made me feel crap by the end. Waffles are the best on the bike food, easy to digest (no thank you mr.sandwich) and coated in syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I tried his sugar diet on the ROK, made me feel crap by the end. Waffles are the best on the bike food, easy to digest (no thank you mr.sandwich) and coated in syrup.

I love a good waffle, me, but find my pro no-hands riding technique isn't quite up to pouring syrup on the move.

Hrm, that makes sense. I seem to recall him living on coke (the drink) during college too.

Dónal wrote: »
    Hrm, that makes sense. I seem to recall him living on coke (the drink) during college too.

And you never thought to stage an intervention? Tut tut, the man has a sugar problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jay Miyabhai

which Jersy ur talking abt...?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

ROK ON wrote: »

Good point. It all depends on budget. If you see yourself buying a road bike in the next year, then save your pennies and at them to the new bike fund. If you want something to do you for a while, then upgrade it.

I want to change the bars for more hand positions, my shoulders/neck was killing me after the ROK. I was thinking of changing the bike soon but if I'm honest I can't see that happening for a couple of years at least seeing as we've a little money pit on the way very soon ;)
    I'd say 105 or Tiagra would do the trick.
    CheGuedara wrote: »
    Fair enough +1 on 105/tiagra if sticking with 9spd so - no sense in going to greater expense if there's a new machine in sight not so far down the road

I'm thinking 105 myself, no point in having Ultegra shifters when the rest of my gearset is 105.
    I hope you're ashamed of yourselves for talking me out of spending more money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

since I have discovered chain reaction cycles last week....

x1 cannondale morhpis jacket
    x2 continental slick tires
    x1 set selaskin gloves for when the weather starts getting cold again

and today... Blackburn quadrant + mars 3.0 rear light combo kit. (for when the weather starts getting dark, replacing the cheap set I picked up when I got the bike just to have something)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

And you never thought to stage an intervention? Tut tut, the man has a sugar problem!

if you didn't let your sugar level's dip on the ROK you'd have been super too!...anyway didn't you have a sambo on the ROK and get a cramp after it?

i got 4 boxes, cause i was getting em off manufacturer and cheapest way.... but i do love my gels....

This is the guilty admissions thread, right? Forgive me fathers, for I have sinned.

I just got my custom Oakley Flak Jackets through, ordered from the UK website. They are intended to match my latest helmet and jersey combo. Man, I feel vain.

That's "four ten" engraved on the lenses. :)

FWIW, they worked out cheaper than retail in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Lumen wrote: »
    This is the guilty admissions thread, right? Forgive me fathers, for I have sinned.

I just got my custom Oakley Radars through, ordered from the UK website. They are intended to match my latest helmet and jersey combo. Man, I feel vain.

Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I just got my custom Oakley Radars through, ordered from the UK website. They are intended to match my latest helmet and jersey combo. Man, I feel vain.

How much they set you back?

Ryaner wrote: »
    How much they set you back?

£145.24

Hawt

Erratum: they're Flak Jackets, not Radars.

So, the "ridiculously stylish" eyewar arms race continues.

@Raam, are you going to roll the dice on those outrageous specs you were eyeing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am wondering, can you get this kind of eyewear with power for short-sightedness? I can't wear contact lenses unfortunately.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I am wondering, can you get this kind of eyewear with power for short-sightedness? I can't wear contact lenses unfortunately.

I think, but am not sure, that Rudy Project do glasses like this. However, the only RP lenses worth having are the ImpactX's, the standard ones are not shatterproof (as Tunney discovered recently). It can be quite difficult to find ones with the ImpactX lenses in a decent frame and good colour.

Or maybe something like this.

I am also shortsighted but use daily disposable contact lenses, although this isn't an option for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I just got my custom Oakley Flak Jackets through, ordered from the UK website. They are intended to match my latest helmet and jersey combo. Man, I feel vain.

Jaysus I almost bought those the other week!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

So, the "ridiculously stylish" eyewar arms race continues.

@Raam, are you going to roll the dice on those outrageous specs you were eyeing up.

Would like to try a similar pair on first for size. But some day... soon

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Would like to try a similar pair on first for size. But some day... soon

I'm not sure whether you're talking about the Oakleys, but Sunglasses Hut have a decent selection of those, albeit in silly colours (grey FFS!).

My pink costume hasn't arrived yet :cool:

Advertisement