Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Lumen - congrats on the new purchase and best of luck on the new build.
    You would be daft IMHO to sell the Cayo - with a bling bike you will definitely need a winter training bike.

I was in Cycleogical today and thought I was going to but the Colnago Arte. Instead I spoke to Cliff about getting some new wheels.

I really think I need a new commuting bike, want the new red steel langster, but was told it is for USA only.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭oheilis

Ryaner wrote: »
    They are not new toys but compulsory purchases!

So it would seem! I appear to have gone and purchased some compulsory carbon bottle cages. :o Although in saying that, I didn't go for the fancy expensive ones I had on my CRC wishlist. Instead I deferred to the wisdom of the boardsies and bought a nifty looking pair on Ebay for €18 incl. postage.

I mean, at prices like that, you can't afford not to buy them. Right?!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's one hell of an impulse buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,030 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    That's one hell of an impulse buy.

Well (as you know) I have spent several months dithering like a pensioner in a fur-booties sale, waiting for the answer to the "which frameset?" question to reveal itself.

And lo, Images Of Beauty hath spoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lumen wrote: »
    Well (as you know) I have spent several months dithering like a pensioner in a fur-booties sale, waiting for the answer to the "which frameset?" question to reveal itself.

And lo, Images Of Beauty hath spoke.

Now the next question... which quality wheelset are you going to trip it out with?

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Now the next question... which quality wheelset are you going to trip it out with?

It's very complicated. Right now I'm running a front Aksium and a rear Open Pro powertap. The Aksium will go with the Cayo, so I'll be left with my Powertap rear and no front.

The frame comes with (I think) an unthreaded BB shell with a Shimano press-fit bearings/integrated BB, but I don't want to run a DA crankset so I'm having the shop fit a Truvativ BB before shipping so that I can put on an SRAM Red crankset.

I fancy putting power on the crank to free up the wheel choice, but the options are CinQo, which is very light (~50g) but isn't currently available outside the US due to electrical compliance issues, or SRM, which is hideously expensive for the preferred FSA K-Force Light option. Neither has an SRAM crankset option, and I have no idea whether the FSA K-Force (SRM) or Team Issue (CinQo) will work with my SRAM/Truvativ-compatible BB.

The simplest fancy option would be to buy my preferred wheels (HED Ardennes clinchers) with powertap, and sell my existing PT rear wheel, but it seems a shame to pay the PT weight penalty (200g+) on such a light wheelset.

For the time being I'll probably just build up the bike, see how light it is and consider my options.

Suggestions welcome.

I had half hoped you would say a pair of lightweights

I had half hoped you would say a pair of lightweights

Carbon clinchers don't make much sense to me. If you're happy to train on a €3000 wheelset, you may as well go for Cosmic Carbone Ultimates, save a bit more weight and bear the risk of having to get a taxi home if you get some sort of double tub failure.

Of course, carbon tubular wheels for commuting make much more sense, since there are likely to be taxis passing every couple of minutes.

Carbon clinchers don't make much sense to me. If you're happy to train on a €3000 wheelset, you may as well go for Cosmic Carbone Ultimates, save a bit more weight and bear the risk of having to get a taxi home if you get some sort of double tub failure.

Of course, carbon tubular wheels for commuting make much more sense, since there are likely to be taxis passing every couple of minutes.

Now now, you're not exactly in a position to start being all sensible about purchases all of a sudden.

I saw a nice set of Detec wheels at the Swords race last night.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I saw a nice set of Detec wheels at the Swords race last night.

You'd have strong arms after racing with those for an entire season.

• Advertisement

You'd have strong arms after racing with those for an entire season.

are they heavy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Very nice purchase Lumen, you gotta pimp that yoke out to the maximum! Not that I know anything about wheels, but it probably wouldn't look right if that frame didn't have some purty deep section wheels hanging off it.

are they heavy?

80mmm rims + Irish wind = fun steering, I'd say

Now now, you're not exactly in a position to start being all sensible about purchases all of a sudden.

No idea what you're talking about, Cervelo-boy. I currently own a second-hand plastic racer with a triple chainset and rebuildable aluminium clinchers, and a €300 singlespeed cross bike. I'm Mr Sensible. :)

80mmm rims + Irish wind = fun steering, I'd say

Ah right. I don't think the set I saw were that deep. That link was the first I found on d'web. I'm currently weighing up my options for a set of wheels for next year. I take my time with my purchases so it will be another 6 months before I get anything.

I take it these will be race only wheels? Tubs or clinchers?

No idea what you're talking about, Cervelo-boy. I currently own a second-hand plastic racer with a triple chainset and rebuildable aluminium clinchers, and a €300 singlespeed cross bike. I'm Mr Sensible. :)

I hear ya. However the point is: you have clearly doffed the sensible hat and you are currently sporting a flamboyant peacock style number. Before it gets blown away by an errant gusty breeze you must make a wheelset purchase

I take it these will be race only wheels? Tubs or clinchers?

Clinchers. Can't be arsed gluing a tyre on.

Yes, race only.

I hear ya. However the point is: you have clearly doffed the sensible hat and you are currently sporting a flamboyant peacock style number. Before it gets blown away by an errant gusty breeze you must make a wheelset purchase

Gotcha. Carbon tubs FTW!

Clinchers. Can't be arsed gluing a tyre on.

Yes, race only.

It isn't that hard, especially if you use tape.

• Advertisement

It isn't that hard, especially if you use tape.

what about repairing at the side of the road in the rain?

what about repairing at the side of the road in the rain?

Carry a spare tub in a saddle bag and a roll of tape in your pocket. Pull the tub and old tape off, put on new tape, and then put on the new tub. Quick enough. The only downside is carry a spare tub.

Carry a spare tub in a saddle bag and a roll of tape in your pocket. Pull the tub and old tape off, put on new tape, and then put on the new tub. Quick enough. The only downside is carry a spare tub.

Clinchers it is so

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Apart from the hassles this is what would spook me about tubulars:

crashiht.jpg

A taped tyre is slightly more likely to roll off than a glued one, (10% less force required according to one study I read) although it maybe is easier not to feck up the application.

I'm also just not sure about the benefits in a race situation. I've certainly never felt my tyres were impeding my cornering, although I have had pedal strike, that would be the area to address first I reckon.

@Tonto - you mention a saddlebag. What perchance is a saddlebag.
    Where can I get one?
    Do the come in Euro styles?

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Tonto - you mention a saddlebag. What perchance is a saddlebag.
    Where can I get one?
    Do the come in Euro styles?

You need to get one big enough to hold the tub. I've a fizik medium sized one whcih does the job, but only just about. I've seen a lot of guys though just strap the tub to the underside of their saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Does having to carry a spare tub not almost completely negate the weight savings... So then you are looking at ride quality/cornering.

How do you find your tubs vs clinchers with latex tubes?

You need to get one big enough to hold the tub. I've a fizik medium sized one whcih does the job, but only just about. I've seen a lot of guys though just strap the tub to the underside of their saddle.

Seriously now, thats what it has come to - big saddlebags.

You need to admit the reality of your situation, start growing your leg hair again, buy a pair of black socks and embraace your inner fred.
    Euro me ar*e.;)

Tubs feel nicer to ride to be honest. As for weight savings, it isn't a big concern for me. But any time I've raced on them, I left the spare at the start/finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

blorg wrote: »
    Does having to carry a spare tub not almost completely negate the weight savings... So then you are looking at ride quality/cornering.

How do you find your tubs vs clinchers with latex tubes?

Ah someone has been reading the rolling resistance studies that are done in non-real world environments and have been deemed invalid by many. The Crr is very different on a real road than on a steel drum :)

There is a world of difference between 300g in your back pocket and 300g on the rims of your wheels - namely acceleration.

Advertisement