Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "I should have left the credit card at home" thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Lumen. Tasty shades. Next time I see you on a spin I wudn't mind trying them on.
    I have never been able to find Oakleys that fit - they always feel very tight. My glasses for my shortsightedness are oakley frames and are just too tight.

On a related Cr Card topic I showed remarkable constraint. I came close to spending 480 on Rapha today. I held back due to the the crazy 15euro delivery charge. So I have emailed rapha and asked them to waive the charge and I will then buy the merchandise. I will let ye know if they get back to me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Admirable restraint ROK_ON.

God, you'd swear we were buying Manolo Blahniks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I just bought some Brand-X Handlebar tape. So there.

el tonto wrote: »
    Admirable restraint ROK_ON.

God, you'd swear we were buying Manolo Blahniks

More of a Jimmy Choo man meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

penexpers wrote: »
    I just bought some Brand-X Handlebar tape. So there.

Excellent, let us know how easy it is to keep clean.

Cinelli Cork is a crap-magnet, Fizik Microtex perfect so far (but expensive when you balls it up!).

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    Fizik Microtex perfect so far (but expensive when you balls it up!).

That's why Brand-X is great. **** it up and it costs practically nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Like the shades lumen!
    I prefer to risk losing my eyes during a crash to wear my RayBan RB3268's.
    Well its either them or my prescription 3inch thick specsavers shades. I'm blind, very blind!!

Raging, I've missed the delivery guy for my Richey Carbons earlier...what type of delivery man delivers after 2pm???? He left a note to say he'd be back tomorrow. For god sake he didn't even give an approximate time :mad: GRRRRR!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ROK ON wrote: »
    More of a Jimmy Choo man meself.

El Tonto - Carrie
    Lumen - Sammantha
    ROK_ON - Miranda
    Raam - Charlotte

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stripped my drivetrain down last night to clean/service it and I found the BB is screwed and then the rear mech pretty much fell apart in my hands and can't be put back together.

So now I have to (awful I know) buy a new rear mech and BB. And because I can't wait for an online delivery, I'll have to go to a LBS. My poor wallet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

seamus wrote: »
    Stripped my drivetrain down last night to clean/service it and I found the BB is screwed and then the rear mech pretty much fell apart in my hands and can't be put back together.

So now I have to (awful I know) buy a new rear mech and BB. And because I can't wait for an online delivery, I'll have to go to a LBS. My poor wallet...

chainreactioncycles will do 24hr parcel force delivery for a couple of quid extra, I order yesterday afternoon and have the stuff this morning.

Might be worth considering if your LBS is much more expensive and if you can wait a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Humphries in Finglas were cheaper than online for my wheels as well as some other bits. Give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

uberpixie wrote: »
    chainreactioncycles will do 24hr parcel force delivery for a couple of quid extra, I order yesterday afternoon and have the stuff this morning.

Might be worth considering if your LBS is much more expensive and if you can wait a day.
    I was thinking that alright, but it still means I wouldn't have it till Monday, so I went and got one anyway. Upgraded too :p

uberpixie wrote: »

On my last CRC order, I paid extra for the Parcelforce delivery. Despite the goods being in stock, my order sat in "processing" for three days. Eventually it was dispatched on the fourth day and I got it on the fifth day. Their claim that "All instock orders received before 4pm are dispatched on the same day" should be taken with a large grain of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

On my last CRC order, I paid extra for the Parcelforce delivery. Despite the goods being in stock, my order sat in "processing" for three days. Eventually it was dispatched on the fourth day and I got it on the fifth day. Their claim that "All instock orders received before 4pm are dispatched on the same day" should be taken with a large grain of salt.

That has happened to me before too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Will bear that in mind: I usually tend to take the free delivery and wait the few days anyway, but I'm sure the time I really need something at short notice and go the the parcel force option I'll get shafted.:pac:

I often go for the Parcelforce option. Only got delayed once in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I ordered stuff wed afternoon, dispatched yesterday and arrived this morning. Generally the longest I have had to wait for CRC has been about 5 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

10working days and counting for one at the moment, generally if they 'really' have it in stock the service is great, but if anything at all goes wrong they are horribly slow about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

WANT!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Garmin_Edge_705_Road_Performance_Package_Team_Edition/5360040221/

Anyone gadgety enough to have one of these yet?

I am trying to sew my pocket closed so I dont lose out to temptation on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Jumpy wrote: »
    WANT!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Garmin_Edge_705_Road_Performance_Package_Team_Edition/5360040221/

Anyone gadgety enough to have one of these yet?

I am trying to sew my pocket closed so I dont lose out to temptation on this.

More than half of the regular posters have one of those :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Im jealous.

There are many threads on these, and they are common as muck amongst the boards pelo-Fred-oton.

Pros: Battery life good (compared to 305), display very configurable, data recording/analysis software decent.

Cons: Navigation crappy, not the most robust device in the world, may make you want a power meter (which makes the Garmin look like a bargain).

edit: don't get the Team edition one, for chrissakes.

Im jealous.

I'm not! It seems to crash rather a lot which isn't really acceptable for something that costs that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Cons: Navigation crappy, not the most robust device in the world, may make you want a power meter (which makes the Garmin look like a bargain).

If you put the routes on as GPX files and not CRS files, you can get the proper Garmin turn by turn navigation (assuming you have maps) which makes it much better. The lack of direction or even start points on the CRS files is bloody annoying.
    I'll also second it making you want a power meter.

On a related Cr Card topic I showed remarkable constraint. I came close to spending 480 on Rapha today. I held back due to the the crazy 15euro delivery charge. So I have emailed rapha and asked them to waive the charge and I will then buy the merchandise. I will let ye know if they get back to me.

Update
    :D
    Rapha got back to me. They are giving me a 20% discount on purchases to make up for the delivery charge. Tasty.

I no have no excuse for buying shed loads of stuff.

Just goes to show, that copanies exist that are prepared to engage with their customers. I am sure other internet brands would be willing to do the same for regular customers.
    If you dont ask, you dont get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I just bought my first Assos bib shorts. I wanted the "cheap" model.. but it was too flashy with Assos being written with huge letters on both legs, so i got the more expensive one that doesn't say anything.. :o

Blorg now has aerobars (and he cycles in SPD sandals FFS), so I decided to wander into the road like the consumer sheep that I am, and hope that I can scrape under 90 minutes in next week's 40km TT.

I'm also sporting some Goretex shorts in an attempt to combat the 0.4% chance of getting wet on my commute. I got size small, and they're quite snug, but not uncomfortably so, although a bit rustly around the office.

Blorg now has aerobars (and he cycles in SPD sandals FFS), so I decided to wander into the road like the consumer sheep that I am, and hope that I can scrape under 90 minutes in next week's 40km TT.

I'm also sporting some Goretex shorts in an attempt to combat the 0.4% chance of getting wet on my commute. I got size small, and they're quite snug, but not uncomfortably so, although a bit rustly around the office.

Fair enough on the aerobars, but gortex shorts FFS. Get a grip. WHat's wrong with lycra? On a wet day, bring a towel to work to dry off before putting on work clothes?
    Maybe, just maybe get mudguard, but goretex shorts are a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

2 pairs (cause i really like them and i may not be able to get them again) of Gore Retro mitts in white. €35 a pair!

And these are a stop gap till i can justify the Rapha white leather ones!

• Advertisement

gortex shorts FFS. Get a grip. WHat's wrong with lycra? On a wet day, bring a towel to work to dry off before putting on work clothes? Maybe, just maybe get mudguard, but goretex shorts are a no no.

Disadvantages of lycra:

1) If it rains on the way in, lycra stays wet all day (I don't have a drying room). Clammy stinky lycra is not nice to put back on.

2) I have to carry a complete change of clothing.

3) Due to (2) I have to use a full backpack, which when combined with lycra makes me look like a triathlete-fred.

4) I have to wear it if the weather looks dodgy, which happens far more often than it actually being wet.

With these shorts and a gilet I can maintain my fakenger look and just carry spare socks.

Advertisement