Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debaptism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I personally believe that the amount of paedophile priests and abuse carried on by these men in dresses that God himself has washed his hands of the whole thing.
    When he speaks to me and explains why his followers feel free to level such atrocities at children in his name I will let you know what he said.

I will call it:

The explanation according to SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Was there any need for that? OP wants to officially get out of an organization he doesn't believe in and has no time for. What's wrong with that? Just because you may be a practicing catholic doesn't mean OP's beliefs or wants are wrong. Time for you to get down off your high horse mate, just like the rest of the practicing catholics like you. Sheep blinded by lies imo. OP, if you find out how to do it, I'd like to know too. :)

Time for me to get off my high horse???? Are you serious or just plain daft! I am not the one serching for someone to debaptise me!

But seen as you have decided to join in ask yourself this question! Who is worthy of the task???? as in what profession do you need to have to debaptise!!!! Think about it before replying!

See while I may be practising i could not give a sh1t if everybody in ireland except me wants to be muslim, church of ireland or nothing! I have never stood up and declared that any one who does not follow me is wrong! I dont care. But I have never seen stupidity in the highest than people sitting down and wanting to clense themselves of the catholic faith!

As I said, who gives a dam! for 200 euro I will do it for them, There is noting more daft! Like I said who is worthy of the cause!!! Think about it then you may start to realise that your supporting a daft goal!

Better still if you want to support a worthy cause join concern! at least you might actually contribute instead of taking more nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Time for me to get off my high horse???? Are you serious or just plain daft! I am not the one serching for someone to debaptise me!

But seen as you have decided to join in ask yourself this question! Who is worthy of the task???? as in what profession do you need to have to debaptise!!!! Think about it before replying!

See while I may be practising i could not give a sh1t if everybody in ireland except me wants to be muslim, church of ireland or nothing! I have never stood up and declared that any one who does not follow me is wrong! I dont care. But I have never seen stupidity in the highest than people sitting down and wanting to clense themselves of the catholic faith!

As I said, who gives a dam! for 200 euro I will do it for them, There is noting more daft! Like I said who is worthy of the cause!!! Think about it then you may start to realise that your supporting a daft goal!

Better still if you want to support a worthy cause join concern! at least you might actually contribute instead of taking more nonsense!

You're the only one here talking nonsense by the looks of it. I never mentioned an actual act of debaptising someone. I did however say that someone wanting to leave an organization that they don't want to be part of is perfectly acceptable. It's you that seems to have a problem dealing with this claim and calling everyone daft who thinks otherwise. So all in all yes, off your high horse. The whole religion is a sham in my opinion and before you say it, I have been thinking this since well before the recent hype about sexual predator priests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Can you send a little note to the Pope

Dear Benny,

Your club is crap, I want out.

Not so faithfully,

Ron Mexico

PS: You might want to check what the nuns in Amsterdam are up to, I got an awful shock when I asked one to relieve my sins under a red light near a canal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Easy, just say it three times to yourself

I debaptist myself
    I debaptist myself
    I debaptist myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

RonMexico wrote: »
    Can you send a little note to the Pope

Dear Benny,

Your club is crap, I want out.

Not so faithfully,

Ron Mexico

PS: You might want to check what the nuns in Amsterdam are up to, I got an awful shock when I asked one to relieve my sins under a red light near a canal.

That supposed nun was probably just a priest with a wig...
    Sneaky lads they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Jakkass wrote: »
    I think that's a bit of a strange response to people who are different to you. I see atheism as rather normal. It reminds me when one of my friends brought another friend of his that I didn't know over to me, and says "Meet x, he's an atheist", and then to his other friend he says "This is Gar, he's a Christian". Like I was meant to be shocked by the existence of atheists in the world, or indeed like I had never seen any before :). I then shook his hand and greeted him and started discussing about other things as he said that he wasn't interested. People work in funny ways sometimes.
    It is a strange response but then religion is a strange old thing. Some people would never go to mass, never pray and never even think about god but still be shocked by the idea that somebody wouldn't believe in him

On the internet, no I think evangelism isn't effective via the internet. I far prefer relating to people I can actually see and know what they are like rather than talking with people who don't have a clue about who I am, and me talking to people I don't have a clue who they are. It isn't my expectation of motive to bring people to God on boards but rather so that they might be challenged to think about it, and that I might be challenged to refine some of my positions which I have done in the past if they are indeed reasonable.
    Sorry Jakkass but I just can't accept that. You're not trying to bring people to god, just trying to challenge them to think about it. You're not attempting to convince people, you're just discussing it. You're not trying to give convincing arguments, you're just trying to refine your positions. And you're not attempting to convert because you don't expect it to work. It's all just semantics, you are clearly trying to bring people to christ on boards.
    The claim that you think it probably won't work or that you're kind of doing it for practice for real life situations does not change the fact that you are attempting to do it

You have already said that you think evangelism is a good thing so why deny it?
    Most of what evangelism is to me isn't dazzling arguments, or amazing rhethoric, but rather it is relating to people how we feel that God through Jesus Christ related to us in our lives in a personal way. I don't think most objections to Christianity are intellectual, but are rather more emotionally driven than people make them out to be.
    With people who have rejected christianity over things like this scandal you might be right but with atheists you're really not. You'll remember your thread on A&A where you tried to get in the head of an atheist and give what you think are the reasons they don't believe, most of which were emotional reasons like "christians can be hypocritical". And you'll remember that someone separated out all the emotional reasons and said "these are not reasons", leaving only three, the three intellectual ones the only one of which I can remember being "miracles seem absurd". You really should listen to him because he was speaking the truth. The reason I and 99% of atheists don't believe is because the whole thing seems absurd, simple as that. There is no emotion involved
    . I don't hate christianity, I just don't believe in it because it was clearly invented in the desert 2000 years ago

By the church in general are you referring to global Christianity, or the global Catholic Church?

Well the only church I'm associated with is the catholic church so that's the only one I can leave. But I'd rather no church leaders had their opinions listened to as if they were experts and that we listened to people who follow reason instead of an old book that didn't actually come from the place they think it did

• Registered Users Posts: 82,251 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I am guessing your 16 right! let me get this straight! You want to profess before god and the world that your ditching him! Thank god this is after hours because its the daftest sh1t I ever heard! Get real if you dont want to practice religion dont practice it! Why do you feel the need to clean yourself.
    Cant he just do it because now that he's old enough to think and act for himself, and is not some defenseless and voiceless infant, he might have a different opinion on the matter as a whole?

Which only reminds me: can I have my foreskin back now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

How many atheists are realistically going to baptise their children? I'd say none.

Here's why. Parents make decisions on their kids behalf all the time. If you're not happy about that, keep it in the family maybe. Rebel, move out. Because the blame might not be with any religious organisation, maybe nobody forced your parents to name you as a Jew or Christian or whatever and religious leaders are not at fault here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

are you married ?

• Advertisement

That for me?? No.

InFront wrote: »
    How many atheists are realistically going to baptise their children? I'd say none.

Here's why. Parents make decisions on their kids behalf all the time. If you're not happy about that, keep it in the family maybe. Rebel, move out. Because the blame might not be with any religious organisation, maybe nobody forced your parents to name you as a Jew or Christian or whatever and religious leaders are not at fault here?

I'd say a lot of atheists will baptise their children because, while if a company gave someone second preference because they were muslim they'd find themselves in court because it's illegal under the equality act 2004, it's apparently ok for schools to employ religious discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

WOOT!!!

This is for all the idiots in this thread:

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of atheists will baptise their children because, while if a company gave someone second preference because they were muslim they'd find themselves in court because it's illegal under the equality act 2004, it's apparently ok for schools to employ religious discrimination.
    What company? What second preference

Ah ok just read that again... a religious school like a catholic school, is not a company.

What company? What second preference

Where am i

A hypothetical company. I'm making the point that religious discrimination is illegal but it's still acceptable in schools because if there are too many applicants, catholics will be chosen over protestants so atheists are forced to get their children baptised to get them into school

A hypothetical company. I'm making the point that religious discrimination is illegal but it's still acceptable in schools because if there are too many applicants, catholics will be chosen over protestants so atheists are forced to get their children baptised to get them into school
    sorry i missed the schools bit first time. yes but a school isn't a company where it is run on religious grounds.
    The Jewish school wouldn't allow equality of admission with atheists no more than the atheist school would allow equality of amissions with Christians. This is a fair policy.

But, unfortunately, there aren't many (any?) non-religious state primary schools. I don't think anyone of any faith would say that's OK. But on the other hand there's hardly any room for litigation, everything seems to be legal and, maybe even fair from the schools p.o.v.

There is nothing to prevent an atheist schol opening along the same grounds as the Islamic Primary School, for example, or the many Catholic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Shut up shut up shut up!!!

Woot:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Faith schools are allowed to give preference to their ethos due to being a school for a particular faith. If children from other religions were given first priority the ethos would no longer exist. I think that's fairly reasonable. If people want to set up secular schools as I and InFront have said there is nothing to stop them taking the initiative.

Also a religion isn't a company, it doesn't serve to make a profit. Infact if a church makes a profit off Christianity, I find that to be rather appalling given Christ's teachings on the subject of weath.
    But, unfortunately, there aren't many (any?) non-religious state primary schools. I don't think anyone of any faith would say that's OK. But on the other hand there's hardly any room for litigation, everything seems to be legal and, maybe even fair from the schools p.o.v.

Indeed. In total agreement here.
    There is nothing to prevent an atheist schol opening along the same grounds as the Islamic Primary School, for example, or the many Catholic ones.

Yes, that's also true.
    It is a strange response but then religion is a strange old thing. Some people would never go to mass, never pray and never even think about god but still be shocked by the idea that somebody wouldn't believe in him

That is extremely strange to me (the response that is). What is the point in playing a facade? I like you would like Irish people to be honest about their religious beliefs so the churches can know where they stand in the future, and so people can know the reality and the truth basically.

Sorry Jakkass but I just can't accept that. You're not trying to bring people to god, just trying to challenge them to think about it. You're not attempting to convince people, you're just discussing it. You're not trying to give convincing arguments, you're just trying to refine your positions. And you're not attempting to convert because you don't expect it to work. It's all just semantics, you are clearly trying to bring people to christ on boards.
    The claim that you think it probably won't work or that you're kind of doing it for practice for real life situations does not change the fact that you are attempting to do it

I am trying to give convincing arguments, but I have no intention on boards to convert anyone to Christianity. Infact I doubt it can readily happen on a discussion board. I believe that true evangelism depends more on relating to other people as people and getting to know them better so that you can relate the Gospel to them. Likewise I don't think shouting down the street telling someone they are going to hell is effective evangelism. I don't even think that people will change their minds. If anything, I will understand atheists better, I will understand Muslims better (thanks to my discussions on the Islam forum in the past), and hopefully the rest of you will understand Christians better. If I could just clear up the misconceptions and nonsense that people spout about Christianity here, that would be enough of a mission.
    You have already said that you think evangelism is a good thing so why deny it?

It's great when it is done properly in the outside world.
    With people who have rejected christianity over things like this scandal you might be right but with atheists you're really not. You'll remember your thread on A&A where you tried to get in the head of an atheist and give what you think are the reasons they don't believe, most of which were emotional reasons like "christians can be hypocritical". And you'll remember that someone separated out all the emotional reasons and said "these are not reasons", leaving only three, the three intellectual ones the only one of which I can remember being "miracles seem absurd". You really should listen to him because he was speaking the truth. The reason I and 99% of atheists don't believe is because the whole thing seems absurd, simple as that. There is no emotion involved.

I think there is more to atheism than intellectualism, I really do. No human makes any decision purely on reason, but also on empiricism and on emotional factors. Like anything else there are emotional factors to atheism even if people don't like to discuss them. It is what I would expect from any normal human activity. By saying there is no emotion involved at all, you are telling me that losing faith is not a normal psychological activity. That's what I find so hard to believe about it.

Anyhow, I think the most convincing way people could show others about Christianity is if people put their money where their mouth is and start doing as Christ commanded them, and start doing with the Jewish prophets and the Apostles commanded them.
    I don't hate christianity, I just don't believe in it because it was clearly invented in the desert 2000 years ago

It isn't so clear to the rest of us. Were Israel, Lebanon, central Turkey, Cyprus, Malta, Greece and Italy considered the desert? :p
    Well the only church I'm associated with is the catholic church so that's the only one I can leave. But I'd rather no church leaders had their opinions listened to as if they were experts and that we listened to people who follow reason instead of an old book that didn't actually come from the place they think it did

I don't think church leaders should be put on a pedestal. However, I think that most are qualified given that they have studied theology and studied how the Bible is laid out and they have probably studied one Biblical language if not two (I know that in most you have to study either Ancient Greek or Biblical Hebrew). Also, can't an old book be reasonable? I've found many things that have struck me from it's pages that make sense regarding how to live my life or how a particular Biblical author understood the world. I'd argue the relevance today is the same then, now and forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

punk_one82 wrote: »
    You're the only one here talking nonsense by the looks of it. I never mentioned an actual act of debaptising someone. I did however say that someone wanting to leave an organization that they don't want to be part of is perfectly acceptable. It's you that seems to have a problem dealing with this claim and calling everyone daft who thinks otherwise. So all in all yes, off your high horse. The whole religion is a sham in my opinion and before you say it, I have been thinking this since well before the recent hype about sexual predator priests.

This high horse nonsense is just getting stupid. Think about it I am not the daft one that wants to clense myself of the faith

Who is going to do it! answer that!

As for you leaving like I said good for you!

Are you looking for someone to clense you!

For 200 euro I come cheap, I even throw in a certificate which can be used in part exchange if you decide to take up voodooo!

See how daft it all becoming. But thats fine you stay in dream world believing I am on a horse!

Have you ever considered this! That I consider the OP to be so mindless of faith that he cannot realise that priests, nuns and all these baxtards are only instraments of the church, See what I am morally guilty of is understanding this and not accepting crap that its the priests fault!
    Off course its the priest fault but the buck stops there if the op realised that the only conclusion he's come to is the priest has no right to be judgemental! Which would you not agree is perfectaly acceptable

But guess what the op was to declare he is abondoning the church! Who is he declaring this to!!! The priest! we have established we think he is daft so why do we care! God! oh wait we actually want to tell god! so that implies we believe in god, we are just going to tell him to get stuffed!
    Or maybe we are just angry and want the world to know we are ditching the catholic faith!! Guess what! the world does not give a dam

Am I getting through to you or are you going to stay on the horse!

Your original question was Is there a need for me to say this! Maybe not as a christian I should accept people but as I am myself I cannot help it if stupidity annoys me! (O and by the way I am not implying that the op is stupid just the concept)

Bray head has been rented! 200 euro and a framed cert!

Faith schools are allowed to give preference to their ethos due to being a school for a particular faith. If children from other religions were given first priority the ethos would no longer exist. I think that's fairly reasonable. If people want to set up secular schools as I and InFront have said there is nothing to stop them taking the initiative.

Also a religion isn't a company, it doesn't serve to make a profit. Infact if a church makes a profit off Christianity, I find that to be rather appalling given Christ's teachings on the subject of weath.
    I'm not sure why you even mentioned the fact that schools don't make a profit, it doesn't seem in any way relevant. The equality act says nothing about religious discrimination being ok as long as you don't make a profit. The fact is that schools are the only institution where religious discrimination is accepted and I don't think it's right. In fact Dawkins said and I agree that if people stopped segregating children in the north based on their parents' religion (because there's no such thing as a catholic child or a protestant child), the problems would be gone in a generation

I am trying to give convincing arguments, but I have no intention on boards to convert anyone to Christianity. Infact I doubt it can readily happen on a discussion board.
    So you're trying to give convincing arguments but you're not trying to convince anyone :confused:

I can see how you put connotations on the word convert that can't be achieved here so let's stop using that word. Can you at least admit that you are attempting to "bring people to christ", whether you think you'll get a full fledged conversion or not? Can you admit that you're trying to make people think about it enough to go and look it up for themselves and hopefully convert?
    I think there is more to atheism than intellectualism, I really do. No human makes any decision purely on reason, but also on empiricism and on emotional factors. Like anything else there are emotional factors to atheism even if people don't like to discuss them. It is what I would expect from any normal human activity. By saying there is no emotion involved at all, you are telling me that losing faith is not a normal psychological activity. That's what I find so hard to believe about it.
    You say "losing faith" but I started a thread on A&A asking people if finding out about santa clause shook their faith and started them on the road to atheism and the answer I got from everyone was "I never really believed", which is the same as myself. So we didn't lose faith, we never had it because it never made any sense to us
    . When I was a kid it was just this place that bored me on a sunday and as soon as I was old enough to understand I thought it was a load of crap. I stopped going to mass and 13 and only went for a year before that so I wouldn't get in trouble.

Honestly, you will never convert an atheist through emotional reasoning, that's not why they don't believe

It isn't so clear to the rest of us. Were Israel, Lebanon, central Turkey, Cyprus, Malta, Greece and Italy considered the desert? :p

I don't know exactly where they made it up. I know large parts were decided in Nicea a few hundred years later
    I don't think church leaders should be put on a pedestal. However, I think that most are qualified given that they have studied theology and studied how the Bible is laid out and they have probably studied one Biblical language if not two (I know that in most you have to study either Ancient Greek or Biblical Hebrew). Also, can't an old book be reasonable? I've found many things that have struck me from it's pages that make sense regarding how to live my life or how a particular Biblical author understood the world. I'd argue the relevance today is the same then, now and forever.

An old book can be reasonable but when it's going on about miracles and stonings and how it's the one true way to imaginary cloud paradise it has shown that this particular book is not reasonable. And, to get back to the point of the thread, even if we accept the book as reasonable, it has been amply shown that just claiming to follow the book doesn't make someone reasonable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭-osborne-

That for me?? No.
    no it was for the person who posted the thread

I'm not sure why you even mentioned the fact that schools don't make a profit, it doesn't seem in any way relevant. The equality act says nothing about religious discrimination being ok as long as you don't make a profit. The fact is that schools are the only institution where religious discrimination is accepted and I don't think it's right. In fact Dawkins said and I agree that if people stopped segregating children in the north based on their parents' religion (because there's no such thing as a catholic child or a protestant child), the problems would be gone in a generation

You are calling it a business. Hence profit would be the key difference. Churches in Ireland are not business, they are non-profit, as are their schools. Hence referring to them as businesses isn't a great example.

As for "religious discrimination". It isn't "religious discrimination" to promote an ethos in schools, it never has been legally. I don't think that it is wrong that schools promote their ethos, but like InFront, I think there should be more secular state schools. However parents should always have the option of sending their children to Catholic, Church of Ireland, Muslim or Jewish schools where there are significant populations of each. Sounds fair to me.
    So you're trying to give convincing arguments but you're not trying to convince anyone :confused:

If I get people thinking about it that is enough for me, and if I can challenge some of the misconceptions and sheer nonsense that people can come out with that is great. Whether or not you want to accept Christianity is up to you.
    I can see how you put connotations on the word convert that can't be achieved here so let's stop using that word. Can you at least admit that you are attempting to "bring people to christ", whether you think you'll get a full fledged conversion or not? Can you admit that you're trying to make people think about it enough to go and look it up for themselves and hopefully convert?

I don't attempt on boards to bring people to Christ. I am aiming to clear up misconceptions and to challenge people to think about Christianity for themselves. Looking it up for themselves and deciding for themselves doesn't necessarily mean conversion, it could also mean being informed enough not to make ignorant comments about Christianity.
    Honestly, you will never convert an atheist through emotional reasoning, that's not why they don't believe

There are many cases that would disagree with you in former countries under atheistic regimes. As for "emotional" reasoning that isn't what I meant. I mean merely showing them what Christianity is like instead of telling them what it is like. There is a difference. People are skeptical when they don't see what people profess as well. I have no reason to assume that atheism has nothing to do with emotion, it may vary between people.
    I don't know exactly where they made it up. I know large parts were decided in Nicea a few hundred years later

This is a misconception. The Gospels and the Bible were written hundreds of years before Nicea. At the Council of Nicea they chose based on criteria of authenticity what should be the authoritative texts of Christianity. Feel free to discuss this on the Christianity forum if you need clarification.

As for making it up, you don't know if they did at all irrespective of where. Let's have a bit of honesty :)
    An old book can be reasonable but when it's going on about miracles and stonings and how it's the one true way to imaginary cloud paradise it has shown that this particular book is not reasonable. And, to get back to the point of the thread, even if we accept the book as reasonable, it has been amply shown that just claiming to follow the book doesn't make someone reasonable

Of course. One can talk the talk but not walk the walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

However parents should always have the option of sending their children to Catholic, Church of Ireland, Muslim or Jewish schools where there are significant populations of each. Sounds fair to me.

I disagree. The children of the State should be educated together. Religion is a private matter and education is in the public sphere. If people want to segregate and sectarianise their kids then the State shouldn't pay for them to do so.

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    I disagree. The children of the State should be educated together. Religion is a private matter and education is in the public sphere. If people want to segregate and sectarianise their kids then the State shouldn't pay for them to do so.

I'm not sectarianised at all following my education both primary and secondary. So one can conclude that is a load of nonsense?

Religion is not a private matter nor will it ever be. It never has been anywhere in the world. It certainly is not a private matter for me, and I don't see why it should have to be.

The Constitution says that parents are afforded the right to provide for their moral and religious education, why shouldn't they have the choice of doing this through schooling?

Perhaps it shouldn't be publically funded, that's okay with me, but telling people that they should be restricted to secular schools is a bit harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

-osborne- wrote: »
    no it was for the person who posted the thread

i'm unmarried. why?

You are calling it a business. Hence profit would be the key difference. Churches in Ireland are not business, they are non-profit, as are their schools. Hence referring to them as businesses isn't a great example.

As for "religious discrimination". It isn't "religious discrimination" to promote an ethos in schools, it never has been legally. I don't think that it is wrong that schools promote their ethos, but like InFront, I think there should be more secular state schools. However parents should always have the option of sending their children to Catholic, Church of Ireland, Muslim or Jewish schools where there are significant populations of each. Sounds fair to me.
    I'm not saying it is a business, I'm using a business as an example. Every time I use some example you pick out some small irrelevant difference and act like that changes everything. No organisation, whether profit making or is permitted to discriminate based on religion and schools shouldn't be either. The fact that other religions can set up schools if they want doesn't make it ok. Back in america in the 50s black people could have their own versions of things but that didn't make it ok to ban them from white people's institutions, such as how they used to have separate drinking fountains for whites and blacks, something which wasn't profit making. Yeah the blacks could have a fountain too but it's still wrong. And before you say it, I'm not comparing christianity to racism, I'm using america in the 50s as another example of discrimination

If I get people thinking about it that is enough for me, and if I can challenge some of the misconceptions and sheer nonsense that people can come out with that is great. Whether or not you want to accept Christianity is up to you.

I don't attempt on boards to bring people to Christ. I am aiming to clear up misconceptions and to challenge people to think about Christianity for themselves. Looking it up for themselves and deciding for themselves doesn't necessarily mean conversion, it could also mean being informed enough not to make ignorant comments about Christianity.
    Right so you want to give people a better view of christianity and make them think about it when they wouldn't before but you're not trying to convince them to take it up. I suppose that's the best I'm ever going to get from you

There are many cases that would disagree with you in former countries under atheistic regimes.
    The difference between people who willingly chose atheism and those who have it thrust upon them with threats of death for totalitarian reasons (enforced love of state instead) has already been explained to you

As for "emotional" reasoning that isn't what I meant. I mean merely showing them what Christianity is like instead of telling them what it is like. There is a difference. People are skeptical when they don't see what people profess as well. I have no reason to assume that atheism has nothing to do with emotion, it may vary between people.
    It doesn't matter if christians have fantastic lives and are wonderful people, that has no bearing on whether your god exists or not

This is a misconception. The Gospels and the Bible were written hundreds of years before Nicea. At the Council of Nicea they chose based on criteria of authenticity what should be the authoritative texts of Christianity. Feel free to discuss this on the Christianity forum if you need clarification.
    I know the gospels were written years before. Nicea was where they decided which bits they liked and which they didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

I'm not sectarianised at all following my education both primary and secondary. So one can conclude that is a load of nonsense?

Religion is not a private matter nor will it ever be. It never has been anywhere in the world. It certainly is not a private matter for me, and I don't see why it should have to be.

The Constitution says that parents are afforded the right to provide for their moral and religious education, why shouldn't they have the choice of doing this through schooling?

Perhaps it shouldn't be publically funded, that's okay with me, but telling people that they should be restricted to secular schools is a bit harsh.

Well it's the whole thing of the taxpayers paying for it. Why should somebody like Sam Vimes there have to fund what they fundamentally object to? It just isn't fair. I doubt for instance that you'd agree your tax money should go towards educating children in Scientologist schools, and yet to many people what happens now in Ireland is qualitatively the same as this.

In a secular Republic religion is supposed to be kept to the private sphere and the State education system is most certainly in the public sphere so therefore religion should be kept out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

As for making it up, you don't know if they did at all irrespective of where. Let's have a bit of honesty :)

i thought it was accecpted as fact that there are various versions of the new testament,which changes being made since constantines time in order to sell christianity to a roman audience.in other words the rock on which christianity is built is one of deception.that that deception would continue into the modern day is no surprise with todays' pope having being explicitly involved in the cover up of the abuse of children,including the various bishops,archbishops ,cardinals etc here.
    let's have a bit of honesty indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭jaffa20

sorry i missed the schools bit first time. yes but a school isn't a company where it is run on religious grounds.
    The Jewish school wouldn't allow equality of admission with atheists no more than the atheist school would allow equality of amissions with Christians. This is a fair policy.

You're missing the point. Schools shouldn't be defined by religious or non religious grounds in the first place. Admission should be granted not based on ethnic or religious background. Surely, it's religious descrimination to deny access to a muslim child into school if the parents want him to go there.

Religion in the home/church

Education in the school

• Advertisement

No organisation, whether profit making or is permitted to discriminate based on religion and schools shouldn't be either. The fact that other religions can set up schools if they want doesn't make it ok. Back in america in the 50s black people could have their own versions of things but that didn't make it ok to ban them from white people's institutions, such as how they used to have separate drinking fountains for whites and blacks, something which wasn't profit making. Yeah the blacks could have a fountain too but it's still wrong. And before you say it, I'm not comparing christianity to racism, I'm using america in the 50s as another example of discrimination

It isn't discrimination if you are to run a school with a Catholic ethos to consider those who actually want to have their children know about Catholicism. I think that is entirely reasonable. Anyone else who wants to take the initiative to set up a school can. Hence why you have Educate Together schools cropping up. Encouraging choice for parents to have a religious education for their children is totally reasonable. If people want secular education they should either:
    a) Let the Government know of the demand.
    or
    b) Take the initiative towards setting up the schools themselves like Educate Together groups have.

Right so you want to give people a better view of christianity and make them think about it when they wouldn't before but you're not trying to convince them to take it up. I suppose that's the best I'm ever going to get from you

That's the best I can do on boards.

The difference between people who willingly chose atheism and those who have it thrust upon them with threats of death for totalitarian reasons (enforced love of state instead) has already been explained to you

Right, but you still have atheists in other categories such as C.S Lewis, Francis Collins who were atheists until their adult lives when they accepted Christianity.
    It doesn't matter if christians have fantastic lives and are wonderful people, that has no bearing on whether your god exists or not

As I say, that may be your stance. Others generally are turned off Christianity because of hypocrisy.
    I know the gospels were written years before. Nicea was where they decided which bits they liked and which they didn't

Too simplistic again. The grounds weren't "whether or not they liked it". They based it on what books they knew were being circulated in the first century, and which books had been traditionally used by the Church Fathers. Books that had been written 3 centuries after Christ, naturally were dismissed. Books that weren't likely at all to be written by eyewitnesses or by the Apostles were dismissed. Then for the Old Testament, the previous Jewish Torah was selected as it was.
    Well it's the whole thing of the taxpayers paying for it. Why should somebody like Sam Vimes there have to fund what they fundamentally object to? It just isn't fair. I doubt for instance that you'd agree your tax money should go towards educating children in Scientologist schools, and yet to many people what happens now in Ireland is qualitatively the same as this.

It's whether or not people want to welcome religious diversity or not either. Apparently not. If that is the general opinion the Government need to take it into account. As for my tax money (what little I currently pay) going to the Scientologists, I really don't mind as long as religious choice is being enshrined in education and as long as they otherwise.
    In a secular Republic religion is supposed to be kept to the private sphere and the State education system is most certainly in the public sphere so therefore religion should be kept out of it.

That's nonsense. Religion is meant to be separate from state functions. However it does not stop people like me identifying as Christian in public. I really couldn't care about "supposed to be kept", I think myself and others who identify by religion should be able to regard religion as public as we wish within legal boundaries.

Advertisement