Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debaptism

Options
  • 23-05-2009 8:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

mornin' ah'ers.
    is it possible to be depabtised from the catholic church in this country?
    is there a procedure one can follow?
    normally i would be indifferent,having abandoned the church years ago,but this weeks events left me thinking i would no longer like to be an official member of such an organisation.
    i searched google and it's possible to do in england and france as far as i can ascertain so i was just wodering if anyone has any experience in this matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Creep into a church and write "**** the pope" on the wall. That should do it. Alternatively, you could just go gay.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I always thought there was a way to be "excommunicated" officially but never really looked into it myself much. I'd like a document from the pope that says something along the lines of "We understand you think the Church is full of pedo's and child abusers so with that in mind and your request at hand, I'd like to confirm your request as such to be ex-communicated from the Catholic church. Please herewith find enclosed blah blah blah etc.,"

..but really, is there any official way of doing it without becoming a Protestant or something ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

wudangclan wrote: »
    mornin' ah'ers.
    normally i would be indifferent,having abandoned the church years ago,but this weeks events left me thinking i would no longer like to be an official member of such an organisation.
    i searched google and it's possible to do in england and france as far as i can ascertain so i was just wodering if anyone has any experience in this matter.

I am guessing your 16 right! let me get this straight! You want to profess before god and the world that your ditching him! Thank god this is after hours because its the daftest sh1t I ever heard! Get real if you dont want to practice religion dont practice it! Why do you feel the need to clean yourself.

Why is it that you like so many others blame your lack of faith on the events of the church at the moment! The church is guidence if you dont agree with it discover your own way but dont condem a faith because of the deeds of the baxtards in it.

I give you a good one! are you thinking of emergrating! because the church while guilty, no doubt in my mind was aided by the state who sat back even though protests came through in the 60's. See media dont discuss that! why cause its not interesting! But the state sat back and allowed it. Thats why I have no problem with the state paying 10 billion

We as a state are as guilty as the goverment

Discover your faith or reject it but jasus your making some statement by wanting to declare to the world that your rejecting it... Pure daftness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

You could use this until a better solution reveals itself

http://www.secularism.org.uk/debaptism.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

I am guessing your 16 right! let me get this straight! You want to profess before god and the world that your ditching him! Thank god this is after hours because its the daftest sh1t I ever heard! Get real if you dont want to practice religion dont practice it! Why do you feel the need to clean yourself.

Why is it that you like so many others blame your lack of faith on the events of the church at the moment! The church is guidence if you dont agree with it discover your own way but dont condem a faith because of the deeds of the baxtards in it.

I give you a good one! are you thinking of emergrating! because the church while guilty, no doubt in my mind was aided by the state who sat back even though protests came through in the 60's. See media dont discuss that! why cause its not interesting! But the state sat back and allowed it. Thats why I have no problem with the state paying 10 billion

We as a state are as guilty as the goverment

Discover your faith or reject it but jasus your making some statement by wanting to declare to the world that your rejecting it... Pure daftness!

no.i'm 33.
    i had no involvement in the abuse or cover up of abuse of minors.i am guilty of nothing in this regard.
    i rejected the church in my teens and have already regularly declared doing so.
    my post here is to simply enquire about a procedure for taking myself off the memberlist of the catholic church.
    thanks.

• Advertisement

no.i'm 33.
    i had no involvement in the abuse or cover up of abuse of minors.i am guilty of nothing in this regard.
    i rejected the church in my teens and have already regularly declared doing so.
    my post here is to enquire about a procedure for taking myself off the memberlist of the catholic church.
    thanks.

You would seriously want to read then, If you understand the proverb the prodical son your rejection and delisting from the members list has been noted! i see your need to declare it to us as a form of adhd, Seriously why? If you understood anything about the faith you were signed into you have already been accepted as an opt out!

I additionally suspect like many teens you questioned your faith! quite normal but at 33 you were a teenager 15 - 20 years ago! this was not discussed then so your arguement is flawed!

Oh and on the abuse, none of us have involvement in this! it was pedo scumbags who used the church to there advantage! Or do you think every church of Ireland member is same faced as Ian Paisley. The only thing we are guilty of is sitting back and allowing it, and guess what no amount of clensing will rid us of it!

You seriously need a hobby, try reading! the bible is a good start! Its nice to understand what your ditching!

finally as a practiceing catholic I absolb you from all your sins and give you permission to opt out of my club! Jasus do you see how daft it all sounds! ie will it be a catholic or athieist opting you out!

If you cant see this proposal as daft you seriously need to get out more!

Try a mosk or temple!

You would seriously want to read then, If you understand the proverb the prodical son your rejection and delisting from the members list has been noted! i see your need to declare it to us as a form of adhd, Seriously why? If you understood anything about the faith you were signed into you have already been accepted as an opt out!

I additionally suspect like many teens you questioned your faith! quite normal but at 33 you were a teenager 15 - 20 years ago! this was not discussed then so your arguement is flawed!

Oh and on the abuse, none of us have involvement in this! it was pedo scumbags who used the church to there advantage! Or do you think every church of Ireland member is same faced as Ian Paisley. The only thing we are guilty of is sitting back and allowing it, and guess what no amount of clensing will rid us of it!

You seriously need a hobby, try reading! the bible is a good start! Its nice to understand what your ditching!

finally as a practiceing catholic I absolb you from all your sins and give you permission to opt out of my club! Jasus do you see how daft it all sounds! ie will it be a catholic or athieist opting you out!

Try a mosk or temple!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sure can, I've a friend in the process at the moment, he's waiting for his certificate of defection which he wants to frame! Have a read of this. TBH, I don't see the point of defecting, so what if you were baptised. I find the belief thing a load of nonsense, each to their own, but I don't see what this proves. Now if people in Ireland were paying a church tax then I could understand.

jester77 wrote: »
    TBH, I don't see the point of defecting, so what if you were baptised. I find the belief thing a load of nonsense, each to their own, but I don't see what this proves..

Good to see sense in the morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sure if you don't believe in any of it a baptism is just water on your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Try a mosk or temple!

Is there a point in all this? He's not going to start reading the bible if he has no particular faith. Quotes from sriptures is not going to have any effect.

As for your assumptions:
    Where did he cite church abuse as a reason? Why did you bring it up?
    How do you know he has no hobbies?

Why would he want to wrear a mask?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

TBH, I don't see the point of defecting

The catholic church are over-represented in this country by virture that their membership are enlisted before they even have a say in the matter.

The offical percentage of catholics in the Republic of Ireland is over 85%. I wonder what that figure would be if individuals were allowed to make the informed decision as an adult instead of being more or less forced into joining soon after birth.

How many people here would go thru newly designed ritual in your 20s say in order to officially become a member of the catholic church? 85%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Oh not another stupid poxy religious thread :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I can see one possible reason for doing this. I've always thought the figure of 1 billion catholics being floated around was wildly optimistic so if we all officially deregistered and we knew the true number, the vatican would hold less clout when it was making its ridiculous statements and the church would hold less clout over governments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

News just in: Pope devastated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

mornin' ah'ers.

Unfortunately not from a religious point of view. By being baptised you were meant to be baptised into Jesus Christ's death and ressurection so that you could become a new person fully transformed in Jesus Christ. This of course has to be accompanied by faith. Jesus said that you must be born again of water and the Spirit.

This is a shame. Unfortunately people are going to see the Catholic Church and these abuses as representative of the whole of Christianity which is far from the truth.

I would advise you to insist on being more honest in the next Census so the Government can see you no longer hold Catholic views.

I don't know how it is possible at all. It is meant to be an irreversable spiritual act, however I would probably argue that infant baptism may well be too soon to baptise anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

As Agnostic as I am, I don't think I'd want to be debaptised.

Just for my families sake tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

As far as I know, you have to meet with the Bishop to be able to do this. There was a thread wee while back on this on the pagan board, so might be worth having a look over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Jakkass wrote: »
    Unfortunately not from a religious point of view. By being baptised you were meant to be baptised into Jesus Christ's death and ressurection so that you could become a new person fully transformed in Jesus Christ. This of course has to be accompanied by faith. Jesus said that you must be born again of water and the Spirit.
    Are you saying that the church has a claim on all baptised people which can't be given back? What happens convertees? Not very charitable of the church tbh.

@Sam Vines, I'm pretty sure the church counts lapsed catholics as part of their followers to bump up the figures.

• Advertisement

Are you saying that the church has a claim on all baptised people which can't be given back? What happens convertees? Not very charitable of the church tbh.

@Sam Vines, I'm pretty sure the church counts lapsed catholics as part of their followers to bump up the figures.

All I'm saying is that I have never heard of a baptism in any church being revoked, and I doubt giving the understanding of Christians concerning baptism that revoking it would be an option any time soon. I don't see how it's "uncharitable" of any church not to revoke a baptism.

As for your comment to Sam Vimes, I'd be pretty certain of that. I also think that many lapsed Catholics put themselves down as Catholics on the census.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Shouldnt you take this up with your parents? Are they not the fuckers that got you baptised?

Alternatively you can just text STOP to 53112 to stop those pesky Catholics from texting you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

The church still has too much pulling power in this country, a cause of which would be their membership numbers. And their numbers are way over represented because the vast majority of people call themselves catholic just because it's the default thing to do. It takes effort to NOT be a catholic. This really shouldn't be the case as it gives an unfair monopoly to the organisation and has an effect on everyones lives without merit. Opting out if you don't consider yourself as part of the church, is a responsible thing to do imo, because it is a more fair representation of the actual following they have.

phasers wrote: »
    Sure if you don't believe in any of it a baptism is just water on your head.

true.
    just i'd like to make a small protest in the light of last weeks revelations,and as sam vines says i don't see why i should help make up the numbers

I would advise you to insist on being more honest in the next Census so the Government can see you no longer hold Catholic views.

you're assuming there that i did tick the catholic box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Jesus said that you must be born again of water and the Spirit.

Was it not John the Baptist who said that? ;) Or was he just dunking people in the Jordan for the cod?

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Was it not John the Baptist who said that? ;) Or was he just dunking people in the Jordan for the cod?

there are no cod to be found in the jordan.only trout and salmon. so,no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

Cianos wrote: »
    And their numbers are way over represented because the vast majority of people call themselves catholic just because it's the default thing to do.

You can't get your kids into school if they aren't Catholic, that's where the problem lies. Nobody actually believes anymore you're going to hell for using condoms or any of the other nonsense, but because of the Irish State they have to make out they do.

• Advertisement

O'Coonassa wrote: »

No. Jesus to Nicodemus (Jn 3:5).
    You can't get your kids into school if they aren't Catholic, that's where the problem lies. Nobody actually believes anymore you're going to hell for using condoms or any of the other nonsense, but because of the Irish State they have to make out they do.

Yes you can. Try a Church of Ireland school, Educate Together, and even in Catholic schools there are kids who are not Catholic attending them they just get 2nd preference to Catholics in accomodation.
    Cianos wrote: »
    It takes effort to NOT be a catholic.

I've been getting on fine all my life :)

Advertisement