Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debaptism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Jakkass wrote: »
    No. Jesus to Nicodemus (Jn 3:5).

Yes you can. Try a Church of Ireland school, Educate Together, and even in Catholic schools there are kids who are not Catholic attending them they just get 2nd preference to Catholics in accomodation.

Some people would call that discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Some people would call that discrimination.

Some people would also call it protecting religious ethos. I think secular schools would be a good thing too, but imposing a non-denominational stance on faith schools isn't the solution. The Government needs to get behind building more secular schools if there is a demand. Funnily enough trends in other countries show that members of other faiths generally don't mind a Christian influence in public life.
    A BBC report on the poll said: ‘The findings contrast with calls from some politicians and secularist groups to exclude faith from the public arena. ‘The findings support other evidence of an alliance between people of different faith groups in resisting secularism.
    ‘Many Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs and members of other minority religious groups would rather have a Christian-based framework to national life than one that is entirely secular.

I can say though, I have no doubt that non-denominational schools will increase in the next few years, and I think that is a good thing as people should have a choice. In the Constitution it says that parents should be able to educate their children on moral and religious matters in whatever way they see fit. More choice will allow them to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

No. Jesus to Nicodemus (Jn 3:5).

Ah yeah but Jesus ripped the whole idea off of John the Baptizer is what I'm saying, although it's funny there's no account of him baptising anybody in the gospels except in John 3:22 which contradicts itself on the matter in John 4:1 hmmm...
    Yes you can. Try a Church of Ireland school, Educate Together, and even in Catholic schools there are kids who are not Catholic attending them they just get 2nd preference to Catholics in accomodation.

What you're saying sounds fine and egalitarian but in practice over 90% of the schools are Catholic and as you say none-Catholics are second class in the selection process. We really ought to secularise our country IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Ah yeah but Jesus ripped the whole idea off of John the Baptizer is what I'm saying, although it's funny there's no account of him baptising anybody in the gospels except in John 3:22 which contradicts itself on the matter in John 4:1 hmmm...

John the Baptizer was the forerunner to Jesus. In Jewish prophetic literature, there had to be a prophet to lead the way for the Messiah to come. In Christianity it's believed that John served this purpose. Baptism was a Jewish practice before it was incorporated to Christianity, although it served a different purpose to what it served in Christianity. The mikveh was a ritual purification of sins, and you will find in the Jewish Torah that it was used it one had been in a state of uncleaness to be cleansed and to be brought back into the community. John used it for the cleansing of sins, the early Church used it for the cleansing of sin and the initiation process to the Christian church. It has a longer history than Christianity does.

I don't see any contradiction between those two verses, however it's probably best to bring them up in the Christianity forum as I've been sternly warned to go easy on the Bible passages in AH.
    What you're saying sounds fine and egalitarian but in practice over 90% of the schools are Catholic and as you say none-Catholics are second class in the selection process. We really ought to secularise our country IMO

If the people want change they should be supporting secular schools to start up and start pulling their children out of Catholic schools. When I was being educated in a COI primary and COI secondary school I found that quite a few of my friends didn't belong to that denomination or hadn't been baptised (usually because they were Pentecostals or Evangelicals) but I'm sure that atheists would also have been considered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Creep into a church and write "**** the pope" on the wall. That should do it. Alternatively, you could just go gay.

Or creep into the vatican and fúck the pope.
    Just to be sure, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

John the Baptizer
    John the Baptizer

If you're going to shyte on like some kind of expert the least you could do is get the guy's name right. Lends to the authenticity.

Or creep into the vatican and fúck the pope.
    Just to be sure, like.

You sure that's sure? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phYyyYrfaeM

If you're going to shyte on like some kind of expert the least you could do is get the guy's name right. Lends to the authenticity.

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50271787/Handbag.jpg

The Mandeans call him John the Baptizer, they think Jesus was a con man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Why bother being unbabtised?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

galwayrush wrote: »
    Why bother being unbabtised?:confused:
    I'd nearly do it just to piss Jakkass off ;)

Kiera wrote: »
    I'd nearly do it just to piss Jakkass off ;)

:D

Your faith is yours alone, it won't annoy me if you tick off the Vatican either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

:D

Your faith is yours alone, it won't annoy me if you tick off the Vatican either.
    I actually went to the doc coz i thought i was suffering from narcalespy. Turns out my falling asleep was from reading your god posts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Apparently, if you want to go ahead with this, I heard that you need to exhume the remains of St John the Baptist himself.

Then give him a bottle of JD, and a whispa.

You're good to go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Seriously, i can do it for you. fee €500 cash, or €700 + Vat if you want a receipt.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

Fizman wrote: »
    Apparently, if you want to go ahead with this, I heard that you need to exhume the remains of St John the Baptist himself.

Then give him a bottle of JD, and a whispa.

You're good to go then.

done.i saw his head in damascus. i gave him a whisper.will that suffice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

OP, it is futile running about the place trying to get un-baptised, it is only symbolic.

If you really want to do some good, try your best to convince those close to you that none of this god stuff is true, that is all a load of nonsense and a fairy tale at best.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    If you really want to do some good, try your best to convince those close to you that none of this god stuff is true, that is all a load of nonsense and a fairy tale at best.

What's the point? How is that going to do any good for anyone, particularly those who see their faith as the driving force of their lives?

If you believe that after you die you're going to rot in the ground and that's it what does it matter if someone rejects faith in God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

OP, it is futile running about the place trying to get un-baptised, it is only symbolic.

i heard it mentioned on france news 24 this morning and just wondered was it possible to do here.so i thought i'd ask here and generate some debate at the sametime.
    since this morning i've read where the catholic church in sydney is threatening to ban rugby from schools because a player there was involved in an alleged rape,so i thought debaptism on my behalf would register a small,if futile,protest against the rape and abuse of 170,000 children.
    symbolic but somehow appropriate.

(i'm agnostic so i wouldn't be trying to convince anyone of the non+existence of god,altohugh admittedly i dont believe the testamnets should be taken litreally)

What's the point?

The point is that i dont like to see those close to me deluding themselves.

If a friend believed that he was in fact Napoleon, I would do my best to convince him otherwise. Same applies to believing that he/she was close friends with supernatural ghost that created the universe.

Both delusions, both unhealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

The point is that i dont like to see those close to me deluding themselves.

If a friend believed that he was in fact Napoleon, I would do my best to convince him otherwise. Same applies to believing that he/she was close friends with supernatural ghost that created the universe.

Both delusions, both unhealthy.
    I would love a friend who believed he were Napoleon. That sounds great. Would there be fancy dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

What's the point? How is that going to do any good for anyone, particularly those who see their faith as the driving force of their lives?

If you believe that after you die you're going to rot in the ground and that's it what does it matter if someone rejects faith in God?

Personally I don't like seeing people wasting their lives by dedicating it to the grown up version of santa clause. They could do so much more with their lives if only they accepted reality

I also don't like seeing people getting in other people's business because of their dedication to said santa clause

I also don't like the abuses that have been carried out by people who were put in a position of trust simply because they believed in said santa clause

I also don't like that peoples have been divided and unspeakable atrocities have been carried out over which version of santa clause is better

All in all, I think the world would be a better place for everyone if everyone stopped believing in santa clause.

InFront wrote: »
    I would love a friend who believed he were Napoleon. That sounds great. Would there be fancy dress?

Yes, and a horse.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I also don't like seeing people getting in other people's business because of their dedication to said santa claus

They'd probably say the same about your getting involved in their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I am guessing your 16 right! let me get this straight! You want to profess before god and the world that your ditching him! Thank god this is after hours because its the daftest sh1t I ever heard! Get real if you dont want to practice religion dont practice it! Why do you feel the need to clean yourself.

Why is it that you like so many others blame your lack of faith on the events of the church at the moment! The church is guidence if you dont agree with it discover your own way but dont condem a faith because of the deeds of the baxtards in it.

I give you a good one! are you thinking of emergrating! because the church while guilty, no doubt in my mind was aided by the state who sat back even though protests came through in the 60's. See media dont discuss that! why cause its not interesting! But the state sat back and allowed it. Thats why I have no problem with the state paying 10 billion

We as a state are as guilty as the goverment

Discover your faith or reject it but jasus your making some statement by wanting to declare to the world that your rejecting it... Pure daftness!

lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Oh and on the abuse, none of us have involvement in this! it was pedo scumbags who used the church to there advantage! Or do you think every church of Ireland member is same faced as Ian Paisley. The only thing we are guilty of is sitting back and allowing it, and guess what no amount of clensing will rid us of it!

finally as a practiceing catholic I absolb you from all your sins and give you permission to opt out of my club! Jasus do you see how daft it all sounds! ie will it be a catholic or athieist opting you out!

...!

Yes... Priests. :pac:

Probably, but then I was a little upset when I heard there was no Santa Claus, but im glad my parents did tell me. How absurd would it be to spend your life believing in Santa?

Joey the lips: Ian Paisley was never a member of the Church of Ireland. He was the former head of the Free Presbyterian Church worldwide which he founded, and he runs the European Institute for Bible Protestantism (www.ianpaisley.org). As disagreeable as Ian Paisley might be, I don't think he ever committed any act of sexual abuse.

Probably, but then I was a little upset when I heard there was no Santa Claus, but im glad my parents did tell me. How absurd would it be to spend your life believing in Santa?
    I dunno, I guess, it would be largely irrelevant to people with more important things to think about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The only people whose "business i get in" are religious people on the net who go on about their beliefs. I get in the business of people getting in other people's business

Advertisement