Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

Not too sure as im with Airtricity on a budget payment plan. I pay €59 a month. Handed in a metre reading yesterday so god knows what way that will work out..

As for Bord Gais, can only talk from experience.. Changed from Esb to them and first 2 bills were lovely and low, then they went up and up and up so changed to Airtricity where i am quite happy.. (until the metre reading goes thru anyway,ha)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Vanhalla wrote: »
    Ive been with airtricity for a couple of years now. i got the 12% discount when i joined but had a bord gais salesman around a while ago. he was saying that the airtricity discount of 12% goes down to about 6% after a year or whatever. is that true?

Yup - happened to me - was on the budget plan. Noticed my elec costs were going up. So I checked out the unit rate and wasnt getting the rate they advertise for DD+E-billing which is 12.27. I was paying 13.25.
    I rang their customer service and the lady told me that I no longer get the introductory rate- its only offered to new customers. Told her Id switch if I couldnt get the lower rate. She said nothing she could do.

So switched to Board Gais and now on a rate of 12.25.

Im guessing they hope customers wont notice the increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

voxpop wrote: »
    Im guessing they hope customers wont notice the increase

Customers like me .. Ive never had a bill from them so never take notice of units etc.. Maybe i should look into it.. With them a year next month so thinking of changing back to ESB anyway.. In two minds really so will just wait and see..

Just had a quick check, still on 0.1227 but not with them a year yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

So it will be worth my while changing to bord gais then.
    DO i have to cancel the direct debit myself or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Vanhalla wrote: »
    Ive been with airtricity for a couple of years now. i got the 12% discount when i joined but had a bord gais salesman around a while ago. he was saying that the airtricity discount of 12% goes down to about 6% after a year or whatever. is that true?

You should have a copy of the contract which should state exactly what you get for how long, but yeah the discounts are limited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats all well and good the BG guy telling you that AT goes down, but so do all of them deals.

I moved to BG maybe 2 or 3 yrs ago when the BIG SWITCH marketing campaign 1st started. I got 14% off my 1st year with them over ESB, btu only 5% in Year 2, so can't see how they can slag off AT. They do it as well.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I have switched to Airtricity from ESB and the bills have been absolutely NO cheaper.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thats all well and good the BG guy telling you that AT goes down, but so do all of them deals.

I moved to BG maybe 2 or 3 yrs ago when the BIG SWITCH marketing campaign 1st started. I got 14% off my 1st year with them over ESB, btu only 5% in Year 2, so can't see how they can slag off AT. They do it as well.:rolleyes:

BG clearly advertise on their TV ads that the 14% is for year one and year 2 and 3 is something like 6%, so they are not hiding the fact that it goes down. I suppose the best thing to do is change very 12 months to ensure you get the highest discount on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bungler wrote: »
    BG clearly advertise on their TV ads that the 14% is for year one and year 2 and 3 is something like 6%, so they are not hiding the fact that it goes down. I suppose the best thing to do is change very 12 months to ensure you get the highest discount on the market

Yeah I knew that ok, and of course still happy to be receiving electricity at 5% less than I would get it for if I had stayed with ESB.

And the thing is, its not possible to keep moving supplier every year and get another 12% off. I think their deals are 12% lower than ESBs rate in Yr1, but if the ESB doesn't change then going to another supplier will have no effect.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does anyone know what package the ESB are proposing to offer to customers who agree to switch back for either electricity or a dual fuel account? They were stating that there would be very competitive discounts for dual accounts from April- but I can't find the details anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

And the thing is, its not possible to keep moving supplier every year and get another 12% off.

Eh it is possible - you get the new customer discount, whatever that may be, when you switch. Once you are not locked in by a term contract, you can switch whenever you want and avail of a competitors rate.

On another note- there is nothing involved in switching other than contacting the new supplier. They will handle moving you across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

Just wondering if this new initiative counts as a 'new supplier' i.e. a rival to ESB, Bord Gáis, Airtricity etc:

PrePayPower.ie

Sounds like a good idea. Wouldn't go for it myself but can see A LOT of people being interested in it, particularly landlords, assuming it gets the right backing and publicity. I think it's only been launched literally in the last week. Has anyone else come by it, or know more about it?

Yeah I knew that ok, and of course still happy to be receiving electricity at 5% less than I would get it for if I had stayed with ESB.

And the thing is, its not possible to keep moving supplier every year and get another 12% off. I think their deals are 12% lower than ESBs rate in Yr1, but if the ESB doesn't change then going to another supplier will have no effect.

I know plenty of people who signed up with BG when they launched and got 14% and after 12 months it went down to about 5% so they went to Airtricity who gave them 13% and one of my friends just went back to BG 2 weeks ago for 14% so they changed every 12 months and got the highest discount

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

PrePayPower sounds like a good idea, but the website makes me a bit skeptical. Are they really bonded, licenced, etc?

dahamsta wrote: »
    PrePayPower sounds like a good idea, but the website makes me a bit skeptical. Are they really bonded, licenced, etc?

Just had a look on the CER.ie and they are not listed as a current electricity supply licences holder.

http://www.cer.ie/en/electricity-retail-market-overview.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dahamsta wrote: »

Why not get an ESB pre-paid Meter and save the €20excl Vat that PrePayPower charge? Doesn't make sense to pay somebody extra for the same payment facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

"Why not get an ESB prepaid meter"
    From what I know they dont just install one you have to be in fairly serious debt,
    But getting back to Prepaypower.ie

http://www.dominium.ie/pdfs/0000/0029/1830_Prepaypower_4pg_Investment_Bro_1_.pdf

This is their note to investors I have only pasted some of it basically their Margin in 30% maybe I am an old hippy but are they not screwing the most vulnerable. ESB the dearest at present is around the 14c level these boys are 30% on top of that I cant see MABS or the like pushing customers towards them. Could be wrong
    Investors are invited to purchase preference shares at d1,000 each in Prepaypower. In 2 years the company
    contracts to buying back the shares at
    d1,200 each, a capital gain of 20% for the investor.
    • Minimum investment is d10,000 (10 shares).
    • Maximum investment for one investor is d1,000,000. (1,000 shares).
    Prepaypower holds a licence to supply electricity on the Irish market. Prepaypower will be the fourth supplier
    with ESB, Bord Gais and Airtricity.
    Prepaypower will supply a prepay meter to its customers who will purchase electricity via Paypoint, which is
    available in retail outlets and the credit union. This method of purchasing is similar to that of mobile phone
    credit.
    • 40% of households in Northern Ireland use this meter, Prepaypower will replicate this business in the Republic
    of Ireland.
    • Prepay meters particularly suits the landlord market, no more unpaid bills, reconnections etc.
    • Prepay meters are the preferred choice for charities and social services dealing with disadvantaged people
    who struggle with bills, disconnection, reconnection etc.
    Prepaypower buys electricity @ 14.5 cents per kWh, and will sell it on for 20.715 cents, a margin of 30%. Should
    cost price rise Prepaypower can adjust sales price accordingly to stay always at a 30% margin, which is competitive
    with other suppliers.
    Prepaypower will begin supply in September 2010. Under the agreement with SEM (Single Electricity Market)
    Prepaypower must lodge funds to pre purchase 3 months electricity in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Had a fella from Bord Gais at the door tonight, I like the sound of no messing with direct debt and keeping the same set up as we have with ESB.

Would people recommend changing to BG?

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    • Prepay meters particularly suits the landlord market, no more unpaid bills, reconnections etc.

@ a 30% premium to prevailing unit costs, a landlord would have severe issues attracting tenants with a setup like this (unless of course they were aiming at the very bottom of the market, and getting a cut of the meter rate too.....?

The Irish rental market differs enormously from the NI and UK market- good luck to the company if they imagine they can simply transplant their business model over here.......

jeffk wrote: »
    Had a fella from Bord Gais at the door tonight, I like the sound of no messing with direct debt and keeping the same set up as we have with ESB.

Would people recommend changing to BG?

Personally I'd hang on and wait to see what the ESB offer for a dual package come April. The BG discount is only until the ESB are deregulated, and then 4% off their own unit prices- which may or may not be competitive against the ESB unit costs at that stage- who knows, as they'll not be benchmarked against (anything really to be honest).......

Personally I'd hang on for the month and see what happens come April......?

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Personally I'd hang on and wait to see what the ESB offer for a dual package come April. The BG discount is only until the ESB are deregulated, and then 4% off their own unit prices- which may or may not be competitive against the ESB unit costs at that stage- who knows, as they'll not be benchmarked against (anything really to be honest).......

Personally I'd hang on for the month and see what happens come April......?

Grand stuff thanks, I heard about that coming with ESB, then I hear some fella from them was side stepping a question on lowering prices. The BG sales person was saying ESB will be called a new name and no one knows how much they will charge, but of course it’s could be the old talk down the competitor’s sale spiel.

But as you say I can easily wait till the end of April and see from there!

jeffk wrote: »
    Grand stuff thanks, I heard about that coming with ESB, then I hear some fella from them was side stepping a question on lowering prices. The BG sales person was saying ESB will be called a new name and no one knows how much they will charge, but of course it’s could be the old talk down the competitor’s sale spiel.

But as you say I can easily wait till the end of April and see from there!

Even if ESB don't immediately reduce prices across the board (more likely they will target sections of the market) BGE has said their reductions only apply untill deregulation anyway.

Even if ESB don't immediately reduce prices across the board (more likely they will target sections of the market) BGE has said their reductions only apply untill deregulation anyway.

So come the end of April, BG can sit on the fence wait for ESB to make their move and decide to up the price a bit or just match the new ESB price.

BGE's discount against ESB prices- is only until ESB is deregulated. Once the deregulation occurs- the BGE discount changes to a straight 4% discount on their standard unit prices. Its still a discount- but its not benchmarked against the ESB (or other suppliers).

smccarrick wrote: »
    BGE's discount against ESB prices- is only until ESB is deregulated. Once the deregulation occurs- the BGE discount changes to a straight 4% discount on their standard unit prices. Its still a discount- but its not benchmarked against the ESB (or other suppliers).

AH right, so no matter what they will give you 4% of their price, but by end of April this could be still dearer than ESB. I’m not mentioning Airtricity as I think they are too messy and I don’t like their billing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I don't know what's happening with my bills but since I switched to Airtricity both my electric and gas are between 40-60% more expensive than they used to be . I had changed to Bord Gais previously but when the discounts ran out changed to Airticity. Have only had 2 full bills and even taking into account winter time, the bills are far higher than i have ever received before and in the billing periods the house was unoccupied for 2 weeks each billing period.
    Before I get in touch with Airtricity, am just wondering has anyone else come across this? I mean 40-60% increase in both bills is a lot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I don't know what's happening with my bills but since I switched to Airtricity both my electric and gas are between 40-60% more expensive than they used to be . I had changed to Bord Gais previously but when the discounts ran out changed to Airticity. Have only had 2 full bills and even taking into account winter time, the bills are far higher than i have ever received before and in the billing periods the house was unoccupied for 2 weeks each billing period.
    Before I get in touch with Airtricity, am just wondering has anyone else come across this? I mean 40-60% increase in both bills is a lot

Are they estimating your bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Davy wrote: »
    Are they estimating your bills?

No the bills are readings either by them or me and are correct I have double checked them. The first bill was over the really cold spell and even though I did use the heating etc a bit more not an increase of 40-60% and there was 2 week period when the house was empty, plus their rates are meant to be cheaper. But just receoved the bill for the last 2 months and it was higher than the the bills for the cold spell which there is no way it should be, it makes no sense at all. I must check the rates and their calculations something has to be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yahoomac

it better the devil you know when power goes out who do you ring the esb no good ringing the other 2

• Advertisement

yahoomac wrote: »
    it better the devil you know when power goes out who do you ring the esb no good ringing the other 2

Here we go again!

ESB Networks repair the distribution networks, up to and including your meter. They are seperate from the Supply business that you buy your electricity from. ESB Networks repair power outages no matter what supplier you are from. They won't even know what supplier you are with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement