Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

The way things are going at the moment the ESB should be able to set their own prices by the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What % have left ESB so far?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 TopMemoryShop

- moved in new apt in July
    - got copy of Airtricity contract in July
    - now we have October and I have received bill from ESB for 54EUR + Board Gas 400eur deposit + 50eur gas usage

other than that Airtricity are very nice sales guys, just not doing the job properly.

seeking legal advise as I am not going to pay 400EUR deposit to Board Gas when my contract with airtricity started in July.

replies welcome

I wonder would these deposits be enforceable as debts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The standard Bord Gais deposit is EUR200- they only charge the EUR400 if you're not going to pay your bill by direct debit. If you ring and ask to credit control, they should be in a position to reduce the deposit to the lower EUR200 level.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 TopMemoryShop

yes, Board Gas 400e security deposit if you are not providing DD or 200e security deposit with your DD bank details provided. wtf you have to give them deposit when you providing your bank details??

airtricity didnt ask for any deposit thats why i have switched as soon as i moved in + they saying they are cheaper.

yes, Board Gas 400e security deposit if you are not providing DD or 200e security deposit with your DD bank details provided. wtf you have to give them deposit when you providing your bank details??

airtricity didnt ask for any deposit thats why i have switched as soon as i moved in + they saying they are cheaper.

You are buying your gas from Airtricity- it is being supplied by Bord Gais Networks (who are wholesaling it in turn to Airtricity and some other customers). If Airtricity owned the infrastructure to your door- then you wouldn't have to deal with Bord Gais at all- they don't however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

Had a pushy sales guy from Airtricity call last night when I was making the dinner, had a look at what he was offering and asked a few q's, told him to come back next week and I'll have an answer for him.

****er calls back today with a girl with him waving in my window at me before I came to the door. That really annoyed me, and my general default position with annoying door to door sales people is to tell them to get lost, but the savings look too good.

I told him I still hadn't decided so he said he'd be back on Monday.

After reading this thread re Airtricity's terrible customer service, it's ill treatment of that elderly woman, the fact it's a private company, the e-bill nonsense, the collection agency it employs after one missed payment, f*ck them, I'm sticking with Bord Gais.

I can't wait to tell that smarmy f*ck when he calls on Monday.

Aitricity offers no real savings over Bord Gais. It is competition Irish style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Haddockman wrote: »
    Aitricity offers no real savings over Bord Gais.

On Gas it does

• Advertisement

But not electricity.

You can't separate BG and Airtricity on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

i thought i could avoid the next rise in electricity prices, i went to change to airtricity, then i found out i had to open a bank account, this had the same effect as hosing a fire with petrol, fcuk them, i do not and will not, EVER have a bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

i
    thought i could avoid the next rise in electricity prices, i went to change to airtricity, then i found out i had to open a bank account, this had the same effect as hosing a fire with petrol, fcuk them, i do not and will not, EVER have a bank account.

Good to hear from you Bertie how is that whole money in a biscuit tin in St Lukes thing coming along :D

Re avoiding the next rise in prices assuming your talking about the "green" PSO levy sadly there is no way to avoid it, all suppliers will have to charge it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mr La-dee-da fancy pants with his "money", I thought I could enjoy electricity, but when I went round to the ESB to barter my chickens & wheat for some electricity the ignorant bastards told me I needed money, needless to say I exploded with fury, fcuk them all, I do not and will not EVER touch money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

discostu1 wrote: »
    i

Good to hear from you Bertie how is that whole money in a biscuit tin in St Lukes thing coming along :D

Re avoiding the next rise in prices assuming your talking about the "green" PSO levy sadly there is no way to avoid it, all suppliers will have to charge it

the credit union man is my kinda fuy.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Got a spammy phone call from Airtricity this evening even though I've opted out of marketing calls.

Didn't even bother listening.

parsi wrote: »
    Got a spammy phone call from Airtricity this evening even though I've opted out of marketing calls.

Didn't even bother listening.

I've opted out as well.
    I got a call from them last week- its almost bizarre how/why they claim that the ESB and Bord Gais are 'The Energy Regulator' and set the prices for consumers...... I had the same crap from one of their door salespeople. I really don't understand how they can get this quite so wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Report their lies/incompetence to the actual regulator? That being said, given the attitude of most Irish regulators, they'll probably just pick their nose and hand you the snot in response.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

After paying 200 of my bill that was 300 in arrears last last week, Airticity send the ESB around and disconnected me this morning. Its the last straw for me with this shower.

Does anybody know if I can get a connection with another supplier of do I have to clear my balance of 100 with Airtiricity first?

You can get a connection with BG or ESB without clearing the balance first.

BTW you owe Airtricity around 200 now as they charge you 100 for cutting you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭markiemark2005

Haddockman wrote: »
    You can get a connection with BG or ESB without clearing the balance first.

BTW you owe Airtricity around 200 now as they charge you 100 for cutting you off.

Well, we can go to court over that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

After paying 200 of my bill that was 300 in arrears last last week, Airticity send the ESB around and disconnected me this morning. Its the last straw for me with this shower.

Does anybody know if I can get a connection with another supplier of do I have to clear my balance of 100 with Airtricity first?

Yes, you can go to BGE or ESB but they will know, because you will be requiring a reconnection, that you have been disconnected by Airtiricity because of an unpaid debt.

They will require €100 odd for the reconnection because whichever new supplier you choose will be charged that amount by ESB Networks and they have to pass on the charge to you.

Knowing that you have been in trouble because of a debt issue they will probably charge you a deposit as well and may not be satisfied with a direct debit arrangement.

I'm not surprised at your experience at the hands of Airtricity. If you fall into arrears with them they are ruthless.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Does anybody know if I can get a connection with another supplier of do I have to clear my balance of 100 with Airtiricity first?
    it must be in the air today they (airtricty) sent 2 esb guys to my house near trim,, to cut me off over a 165e bill, i rang them 11 times to send dd forms but they never turned up,, i had to race to the bank and pay it,, his was 1 bill... however after they went i should have realised that i had to open the side gate to allow them access to the supply box. krap anyway could of kept my cash

They would have climbed a pole or cut you off in the street.

Check your next bill as there will likely be a €100 charge for the attempted disconnection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭rameire

Unconfirmed reports of an upcoming Airtricity price cut on Gas for dual customers. Heard it was up to 20% with ts & cs of course applying.

from here

http://www.facebook.com/Rent2BuyIreland

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I'm sure its been done to death , so I apologise if I missed an up to date thread.
    Currently with ESB , want to change to either Bord gais or airtricity to save a few euro on electricity.
    Who's cheapest and has the most reliable customer service and who makes switching is pain free?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Airtricity reps round again :mad: (6 times now in 2 months), can these guys not take a hint, "I'm not moving to your company !!"

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sweet girl

I was actually going to post a thread earlier asking the same question, so ill be keen to see the replies, thanks for asking!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

I looked into both earlier this year and decided to go for Airtricity. My reason for this was that they were more transparent with their prices than Bord Gais were when I contacted them both and to me seemed to be cheaper overall. I have been very pleased with them so far and my bills have honestly gone way down! I dont know what services Bord Gais have in this regard but with Airtricity I get a text every two months to submit a meter reading so at least its always pretty accurate.
    If you have gas as well though, you may get extra discounts with Bord Gais so look into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

can only speak for airtricity, recently made the switch, am very happy. Bills are already a good bit lower and found their customer service excellent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement