Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Energy Suppliers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    No the bills are readings either by them or me and are correct I have double checked them. The first bill was over the really cold spell and even though I did use the heating etc a bit more not an increase of 40-60% and there was 2 week period when the house was empty, plus their rates are meant to be cheaper. But just receoved the bill for the last 2 months and it was higher than the the bills for the cold spell which there is no way it should be, it makes no sense at all. I must check the rates and their calculations something has to be wrong

check how much your paying per unit, add standing charge, and compare to old bill with esb or whoever, that will answer your question, big bills for everyone after this winter

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

check how much your paying per unit, add standing charge, and compare to old bill with esb or whoever, that will answer your question, big bills for everyone after this winter

If your with Airtricity the standing charge will be different (higher) on some domestic tariffs than ESB or BOrd Gais, not by a huge amount but it is different. Hence they say lowest UNIT price but it may not be the cheapest over all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 leitrim28

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    No the bills are readings either by them or me and are correct I have double checked them. The first bill was over the really cold spell and even though I did use the heating etc a bit more not an increase of 40-60% and there was 2 week period when the house was empty, plus their rates are meant to be cheaper. But just receoved the bill for the last 2 months and it was higher than the the bills for the cold spell which there is no way it should be, it makes no sense at all. I must check the rates and their calculations something has to be wrong

I switched to airtricity from ESB, my bills are also higher, although the unit charge is lower the standing charge is higher (also i'm on rural) and where ESB levy charge was 0 Airtricity (for me) is 2.7300, vat is the same but then there is more euros on the vat.
    Airtricity sales person at my front door said they are cheaper, (but only with the unit price.) wish i knew what questions to ask then.
    I'm thinking of going back to ESB or another company, bord gais?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mcgarry098

Bord gais say there so much cheaper than ESB

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/switching-guide-why.htm

yet when we changed and compared the bills they're the same as the esb!

They bord gais people are unfriendly and idiots aswell!
    we're chaning back to ESB!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

might want to hold off for a little while - heard ESB will be able to set their own prices in April, so they could even be cheaper than BG in a few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭rameire

ok all you tariff sluts.
    6 days to go to deregulation of ESB.

so for Electricity suppliers within the republic there are:

ESB
    Bord Gais
    Airtricity

for Gas suppliers there are:

Bord Gais
    Flogas
    Airtricity
    ESB

Expect the rates to change by everybody come next week.
    The ESB will be announcing their new rates for Gas and Electricity probably this weekend and definately on monday next.

so if you are thinking of changing, dont do it yet.
    wait till next week.
    and dont sign an airtricity contract just yet.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

mcgarry098 wrote: »
    Bord gais say there so much cheaper than ESB

https://www.thebigswitch.ie/switching-guide-why.htm

yet when we changed and compared the bills they're the same as the esb!

They bord gais people are unfriendly and idiots aswell!
    we're chaning back to ESB!

there is usually a discount precentage applied to the bill.
    they end cost should be cheaper than ESB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Newbie87

I had an Airtricity guy out yesterday and really didnt feel comfortable with his selling tecniques, he was very pushy beause I dont want to move gas supplier and didnt seem to know the unit rates at all for elec, just the percentages and also said they were cheaper in every way. I checked the net but it seems that their standing charge is dearer, he also told me that I didnt have to pay any deposit if I dont do DD, which is untrue also (I rent) He didnt really have much information to convince me so I said I would do my research and to call back on Monday

So I called BGE today and they have told me that if I switch today that I would get 14% (because I have gas with them & if I pay DD 12% if I dont) off the ESB regulated unit rate until the market is deregulated which is on the 4th April...the agent actually told me. She said after that date the 14% s off the BGE tarriff which is .1410 ex vat (same as ESB now) for 12 months. Also she asked if I wanted their new product (as of today) of level pay plan where they take your last 12 month elec usage and calculate that to an average cost per month, for example if my average usage was €100 that would be my cost and if I used more than that up to the value of €200 (€300 in total) they would notify me so that I wouldnt have a big bill at the end of the 12 months...

I didnt like the way the Airtricity rep was with me and could tell he was annoyed that I didnt switch there on the spot but the BGE agent was lovely and very clear about what I was entitled to. I told her I am very interested but I would have to talk to the other half about the DD etc and she said there was no problem with that and she said if I wanted I can call on Monday or do it on the web.

Defo going BGE as Ive never had a prob with their Customer service and with the way it was explained I feel more informed and included in regards to my bill.

Hi Newbie 87 thanks for some interesting info, I agree I had Bord gais as my supplier and over all they were fine. Can I ask since ESB are about to presumably reduce their price on Monday the 4th why you are signing up with Bord Gais, would it not be better to see what ESB offer, if their dearer off to BGE if their cheaper and I never had any problems with ESB other than price off to them. I know I will certainly be looking with interest at what they have to offer

Well the way I figure it ESB still hold the majority share of the market so why would they change their rate if theres still millions of households paying the current tarriff?

And also, who says if ESB aquire back say half of the customer base they lost they wont be re-regulated? Just something Im wondering about! :confused:

• Advertisement

interesting line of argument, so ESB will re enter the market with the same prices???? You miay be right but I dont think they could given all the noise they made about competiton.
    If they do re enter and customers move, you reckon the CER will RE REGULATE them because they are brining prices down:eek: This in an economy that is rapidly starting to look like Pompeii AFTER the volcano.I wish CER well with that.
    You might be completely correct personally I would wait til Monday, you have nothing to lose, if BG are the better deal go for it if ESB go for them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be perfectly honest with you- the ESB in my opinion are more interested in winning back major business, than they are retail customers. One major company could be worth 2000 retail customers. Just a thought..... Roll-on Monday.

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    interesting line of argument, so ESB will re enter the market with the same prices???? You miay be right but I dont think they could given all the noise they made about competiton.
    If they do re enter and customers move, you reckon the CER will RE REGULATE them because they are brining prices down:eek: This in an economy that is rapidly starting to look like Pompeii AFTER the volcano.I wish CER well with that.
    You might be completely correct personally I would wait til Monday, you have nothing to lose, if BG are the better deal go for it if ESB go for them

Yeah, discussed it with himself so I think we're gonna wait for a bit to see what ESB do, even then I doubt they will reduce by much if at all. Does anyone know if they do renewable energy? The girl i was talking to in BGE said they do and Airtricity do but it all feeds into the grid and not directly to you personally, I noticed the new Airtricity ads dont say anything about green elec??

And as far as I know, the business side of all elec companies arent deregulated, they offer discounts prorated against the actual usage of the premises...so my BIL said..he owns a small business and researched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Does anyone know if they do renewable energy?

ESB own and operate several large windfarms. They are also part owners of many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Does anyone know if they do renewable energy?

If I remember my 6th class presentation brother beating into me, Ardnacrusha, Inniscarra, Carrigadrohid, all Hydro. Mind you he also beat in Mallow Carlow and Tuam for the sugar factories all now gone:D
    But I think all the large Hydro are still run by ESB

they are also looking to expand into wave power.

discostu1 wrote: »
    If I remember my 6th class presentation brother beating into me, Ardnacrusha, Inniscarra, Carrigadrohid, all Hydro. But I think all the large Hydro are still run by ESB

Very true and Airtricity et al try to avoid that point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ana36

Just had a look at what ESB are offering as part of their revamp or whatever you want to call it. Will be interesting to see how many people change over from Airtricity now. They haven't been doing themselves any favours what with lamping massive bills on people after taking low estimates all winter! I for one shall be investigating ESBs offer further to see if they can offer anything more exciting! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi Ana36 have you a link would be interesting to see what they have to offer

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Trampas

Who is the cheapest now on the market.

I am with BG. Will they be coming back with a better deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

It's disappointing that ESB Electric Ireland have not used this opportunity to lower their standard rate prices. The promotional discounts are valid until 31/March/2012, after which the price reverts to their standard rate (currently 16 c/kWh).

I'm also disappointed by the discount being offered for gas customers (6%). Flogas currently offer 15% off Bord Gáis rates with a regular standing charge, so 6% is far from enough to make me switch!!

The only people I can see making big gains are the Bord Gáis dual fuel customers who want to stick with a semi-state company for both fuels, they can now get 17% off electricity and 6% off gas (as opposed to the 14% off electricity and 0% off gas that they're currently getting).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Trampas wrote: »
    Who is the cheapest now on the market.

I am with BG. Will they be coming back with a better deal?

Who is cheapest- now depends on your energy usage- its not as simple as saying providor X is the best in the market at present, anymore. The average prices being quoted by the ESB- e.g. an average user will save EUR190 a year- is dependent on a lot of factors. It will suit some people down to the ground- but not others.......

It will be interesting to see how the other providors respond to the deregulation of the ESB. If the ESB got its costs in order- they could get really competitive- but thats for another day.......

based on standard standing charges the following apply.
    and no fixed term contracts

ESB
    elec only 13.724
    gas only 4.195

elec and gas 13.286 & 4.195

Bord Gais
    elec only 13.92
    gas only 4.463

elec and gas 13.76 & 4.463

Airtricity
    elec only 13.93
    gas only 4.24

elec and gas 14.40 & 4.02

Flogas
    gas 3.792

SO I think Esb for Electricity and Flogas for gas is the cheapest individual suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭number_1

rameire wrote: »
    Bord Gais
    elec only 14.40
    It's actually 13.92 c/kWh (13% discount for paperless bills and direct debit).

number_1 wrote: »
    It's actually 13.92 c/kWh (13% discount for paperless bills and direct debit).

And an additional 2% from ESB for paperless billing!

Then there's the standing chagres!

People just need to look at their own usage of both Gas and Electricity and settle for the cheapest for their circumstances.

updated details.
    cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Can anyone clarify?

I am looking at the "SuperSaver NightSaver" price plan.

It quotes 13.73 for day units and 6.79 for night units (ex VAT). Is this before or after discounts have been applied?
    Secondly, I would be paying by DD, and using online billing, so is that a discount of 14% (as per the top) or just 6% as per within the price plan)?

154087.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I got an email this morning:

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/help-and-questions/home/electricity/levelpay/

Would this be a better idea to go for than the regular plan?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement