Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Sugar us such a generic term.

The pollysaccharide Starch is broken down by amylase to give the disaccharide maltose
    &
    Maltose is in turn broken down by maltase into the monosaccharide glucose.

Sugar is not one catch all word

on a slightly related note are 'bottom burps' indicative of protein going undigested when consumptions increased or would it merely be a byproduct of digestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

on a slightly related note are 'bottom burps' indicative of protein going undigested when consumptions increased or would it merely be a byproduct of digestion?

Kinda depends I guess.

One of the main reasons farts smell bad is because of sulphur content.

Protein is the only macronutrients to contain this element and when it's broken down in the digestive Tract in anaerobic conditions, it can lead to the production of H2S, hydrogen sulphide (also known as rotten egg gas).

But to say that increased protein consumption leads to more frequent & smellier farts is an all too simplistic approach to take on the subject.
    It can be a contributory factor, certainly, but is not the only reason.

It should also be noted that this is nit just down to whey protein, consumption of a high protein diet in any form can lead to this but again, it's not the only reason for smelly & mire frequent flatulence.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,148 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

d'Oracle wrote: »
    It does.

But like, while I see the point, I think that if you take two or three of us around here (on average) put our diets together, you might hit Poundstones protein requirements.

Perspective folks.

Like I said pointless for those of us not eating the same number of calories as him.
    One shake alone is the half my cals i'd imagine.
    Given the amount of food I put away in a day, I can't even imagine eating enough to put another 50Kg on. Is that quitter talk?
    He mentioned it when he gave the poundstone shake demo.

7 to 8 meals a day
    7,000 - 10,000 Calories a day

2-2.5lbs chicken
    1-2lbs steak
    Sugar us such a generic term.

The pollysaccharide Starch is broken down by amylase to give the disaccharide maltose
    &
    Maltose is in turn broken down by maltase into the monosaccharide glucose.

Sugar is not one catch all word
    I'm aware sugar is a generic term. I was just clarifying that amylase has nothing to do with digesting a chickenshake.
    I had a vague idea that the spedific sugar which it broke starch down to was maltose. But wasn't 100% sure and I didn't think is was really relevant when talking about 2lbs of chicken in a blender with water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    He mentioned it when he gave the poundstone shake demo.

7 to 8 meals a day
    7,000 - 10,000 Calories a day

2-2.5lbs chicken
    1-2lbs steak

Jaysus. Tasty.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Haha, look where one of the competitors is from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That's deadly. Technique like that would go a long way with atlas stones on barrels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Haha, look where one of the competitors is from.

A neighbour of Osamas?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

A neighbour of Osamas?
    He was seen throwing rocks at a Black Hawk a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

squod wrote: »

No one in the world comes close to Belyaev. Greatest powerlifter ever after Ed Coan. And even then it's pretty f*cking close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Mellor wrote: »

I'm aware sugar is a generic term. I was just clarifying that amylase has nothing to do with digesting a chickenshake.
    I had a vague idea that the spedific sugar which it broke starch down to was maltose. But wasn't 100% sure and I didn't think is was really relevant when talking about 2lbs of chicken in a blender with water.

wasnt aimed at you Mellor, I know you know your stuff.
    Was just on a point of clarification and the Bio teacher in me coming out in prep for going back to school

Hanley wrote: »
    No one in the world comes close to Belyaev. Greatest powerlifter ever after Ed Coan. And even then it's pretty f*cking close.

Some one should make him have kids with one of the Chinese weightlifters. Cao Lei or one of them.

squod wrote: »
    Some one should make him have kids with one of the Chinese weightlifters. Cao Lei or one of them.

Stick him in a room with Becca Swanson and make them get it on. He'd have no choice, she'd over power him. Boom. Genetic freaks born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Stick him in a room with Becca Swanson and make them get it on. He'd have no choice, she'd over power him. Boom. Genetic freaks born.

pfft. Lidia Valentin ftw.

pfft. Lidia Valentin ftw.

Please

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=264079.0;attach=304377;image

<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I have no words.

I also can't post pics.

Post a nice one of Lidia.

......and that was the last time she fell for the "I bet you can't touch your elbows behind your back" joke

lidia-valentin-2009-11-28-4-43-10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Please

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=264079.0;attach=304377;image

<3

excuse the scepticism but is it even possible for a woman to build that much muscle without steroids?

newby.204 wrote: »
    excuse the scepticism but is it even possible for a woman to build that much muscle without steroids?
    What are you sceptical of?
    She is on like donkey kong.

newby.204 wrote: »

It's probably not even possible for a man...

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

Is €395 a good price for a year's gym membership?

FYG wrote: »
    Is €395 a good price for a year's gym membership?

It's average. Thread here gives offers which might suit also.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055280151&page=70

• Registered Users Posts: 39,148 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

wasnt aimed at you Mellor, I know you know your stuff.
    Was just on a point of clarification and the Bio teacher in me coming out in prep for going back to school

Sorry, I was overly defensive tbh.
    At least I know a bit more now about about carbs and such.
    I'd be a lot better off putting this energy into fixing my diet rather thing tiny specifics.

It's all well and good knowing my what my macro breakdown should be, but its not hugely important when I just ahd 2 McDs cheeseburgers for lunch.
    $1 each, couldn't say no.

Its Klokov, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Its Klokov, apparently.

*happy place*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

did he just push press 212kg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    If you had cheapo beef mince it could be boiled in water, I expect the fat would layer off to the top,
    I did my mince and it worked pretty well, will definitely do it again. I did a full tesco 800g pack which was "typically less than 20% fat" on the label and works out at 19.8% from the other info, it used to be more when it was "value mince", there was no value mince anymore and this was cheapest at 2.95 for 800g, I think they just don't brand it value anymore.

I boiled it in 800g/ml of water and strained it off into a casserole dish, so I could see it layering. Cooked in just a few minutes, the drained weight was 490g. It dried out a fair bit which I actually like, as I love cured dry meats, looked reaonably OK too, thought it would be all grey looking, lashed some american mustard and franks hot sauce on some and it was grand.

I will colllect the fat and keep it for frying eggs & chicken. It was layering fat pretty instantly and I can see a little meat residue in it but it is mostly clear looking water. If it was 20% fat then 800g should have 160g fat, if all this came out it should reduce to 640g, so it lost at least another 150g along the way to get to 490g, no doubt most of this is water/moisture as cheap mince seems to release loads of it. Would be interesting to compare yields with better quality mince, might even work out cheaper if you get more out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement