Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Hanley wrote: »
    Strict pressed bodyweight in the gym about 8 months ago.... I figured I'd be able to do a few like, but it was my first time trying them and have seen people complain about how hard they are.

The balance and inversion is a head ****.
    I reckon its like doing partial presses from above the head.
    In that you are in a better position to press off than you would be if you pressed from the front. If you dig.

Not that I can do em or anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

My pressing ability is poor, but I can rattle out a fair few HSPUs. I think it's because it's only a partial for one thing, but also because you can select your shoulder position. When I do them I use a neutral position which might account for a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

d'Oracle wrote: »
    The balance and inversion is a head ****.
    I reckon its like doing partial presses from above the head.
    In that you are in a better position to press off than you would be if you pressed from the front. If you dig.

Not that I can do em or anything.

Eccentric loading is a factor too, as opposed to the static start if you were doing presses (or at least the first rep of a set).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

You can also cheat a lot with them, kipping aside, if you arch your back as you press you're basically getting a couple of inches where you're lifting significantly less than your bw. I could do 10 of them when my press was 55kg. I'd say if you tried to do them in a hollow position the numbers would plummet

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Michael 09 wrote: »
    Aren't your FAE's in 7 days??!

Give or take...

The HSPUs required 3 steps from my desk and about 15-20 seconds. I skipped training tonight to study, cut me some slack!!

Are you sitting them too?

Yeah I'm sitting them... Hopefully indicator 1 will be 'the client wants you to bench 100kg'.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm sitting them... Hopefully indicator 1 will be 'the client wants you to bench 100kg'.

I just finished an "everything I need to know for the audit elective" checklist. It's 4 bloody A4 pages long. And it's just like 1 line bullet points of things to check and stuff not to forget. Nightmare.

How ya set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Are ye talkign about proper HSPUs, like away from a wall?

Are ye talkign about proper HSPUs, like away from a wall?

No, of course not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Well that's a bit ****

Well that's a bit ****

You know well I'm going to end up doing them eventually so you'd be well advised to sssshhhh.

• Advertisement

I just finished an "everything I need to know for the audit elective" checklist. It's 4 bloody A4 pages long. And it's just like 1 line bullet points of things to check and stuff not to forget. Nightmare.

How ya set?

I'm doing tax elective which is pretty tough too, really detailed.

No idea how I'm set. I've done loads of work so hopefully the indicators click and I do enough to hit the green! You?

No idea how I'm set. I've done loads of work so hopefully the indicators click and I do enough to hit the green! You?

FUBAR'd.

Horror show on audit last year, put all my eggs into the core basket and failed that on frickin' tax. I was SO annoyed. I've done more work this year, but feel less prepared :/

FUBAR'd.

Horror show on audit last year, put all my eggs into the core basket and failed that on frickin' tax. I was SO annoyed. I've done more work this year, but feel less prepared :/

I dunno if you can ever be fully prepared for them cos you need so many things to the front of your mind.

Let's hope we nail them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,148 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Anyone tried the Poundstone shake yet?
    Chicken blended up in a shake, as drank by Derek poundstone?

TBH, sounds a bit pointless unless you are eatign the same volume of food as Derek Poundstone.

Mellor wrote: »

TBH, sounds a bit pointless unless you are eatign the same volume of food as Derek Poundstone.

Or you prefer chicken to whey protein.
    Or are lactose intolerant.
    Or are strict paleo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Looked a bit high

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Looked a bit high

But he's a good christian and donates to his church. Racist!

Donnie Thompson in high squat gift shocker. That's new...

...NAAAAAAAAAAAWT!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Convenience is a big thing, and the fact that alot of people (including myself sometimes) dont chew their food properly.

I tried it recently, boiled the chicken, blended with cold water, couldnt believe how "chickeney" it smelt and tasted. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but more chicken taste then eating it normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Owen_S wrote: »
    Are handstand push-ups as hard as a bodyweight press? My 1RM is pretty close to my bodyweight, might have a go at these.
    Here is a discussion about the differences between military press and HSPU

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23

Note what most call handstand pushups he calls "headstand pushups", or HeSPU. And what he calls handstand pushups are what most people call full ROM handstand pushups.

Skip to 2min23s here (though the rest is good) to see a free standing (no legs on straps) HSPU on rings

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Looked a bit high

But he's a good christian and donates to his church. Racist!

Is that the same guy again?

they/them/theirs

Donnie Thompson in high squat gift shocker. That's new...

...NAAAAAAAAAAAWT!

I have to admit, I am a little bit disappointed.
    I was hoping it might raise a bit more of your ire.

rubadub wrote: »
    Here is a discussion about the differences between military press and HSPU

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23

Note what most call handstand pushups he calls "headstand pushups", or HeSPU. And what he calls handstand pushups are what most people call full ROM handstand pushups.

Skip to 2min23s here (though the rest is good) to see a free standing (no legs on straps) HSPU on rings

Yar I was talking aabout HeSPUs obvs.

I should probably make some parallettes!

Rubadub, I know you'll have a link for somewhere on how to make them. Care to facilitate? :)

Is that the same guy again?

No.

I have to admit, I am a little bit disappointed.
    I was hoping it might raise a bit more of your ire.

I don't consider any of that sh*t powerlifting. You may as well link me to a game of slamball and compare it to regular basketball. It's all so american.

gymsoldier wrote: »

Convenience is a big thing, and the fact that alot of people (including myself sometimes) dont chew their food properly.

I tried it recently, boiled the chicken, blended with cold water, couldnt believe how "chickeney" it smelt and tasted. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but more chicken taste then eating it normally.

Sounds disgusting. Would mincing the chicken, frying it and eating it not do the job.

they/them/theirs

Arena Powerlifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Just google crossfit homemade parallettes and theres a free journal entry on how to make them. I made a set and then used them about 5 times before I got bored

• Advertisement

Molly wrote: »
    Just google crossfit homemade parallettes and theres a free journal entry on how to make them. I made a set and then used them about 5 times before I got bored

You're not rubadub. But thanks :D

EDIT: for anyone that's interested - http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/13_03_Parallettes.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement