Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭COH

Hanley wrote: »
    I don't consider any of that sh*t powerlifting. You may as well link me to Daz's log ... It's all so american.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yar I was talking aabout HeSPUs obvs.
    Yeah, I don't like the HeSPU term, just adds to confusion, I would stick the the general consensus, just like describing pullup/chinup as palm away/facing.
    Rubadub, I know you'll have a link for somewhere on how to make them. Care to facilitate? :)
    You can just use blocks either side of you, as no doubt you have seen, like those pylo platforms. However most people find they have more power if they can grip a bar, so an easier version might me using pushup stands on the blocks. Using thin blocks allows you to slowly increase ROM, with your head as the stopping point. I have done negative only HSPU on my stands and you really feel the difference.

Most parallettes I have seen are made using PVC pipe fittings, but from what I have seen these are far more expensive here and people can get them in the US, you may also have difficulty finding thick pipe which is strong enough. Many making them are light gymnasts and I imagine it is easier to get thicker pipe in the US. This is from my sig link
    http://celtickane.com/projects/homemade-parallettes/

This was one I liked (needs to be higher of course)
    mini_parallettes.jpg
    http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=415

You could possibly use barbell handles for the handles, going into sturdy blocks and locked in place with the collars.

Imagine this being a wider box, with just 4 U shape cutouts at the top, so you drop both barbell handles into the U shapes, tighten up and away you go.
    schmidt3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Convenience is a big thing, and the fact that alot of people (including myself sometimes) dont chew their food properly.

I tried it recently, boiled the chicken, blended with cold water, couldnt believe how "chickeney" it smelt and tasted. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but more chicken taste then eating it normally.

Chicken in a blender with water? Seriously? That's just wrong. What's wrong with a protein shake for god sake!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

colman1212 wrote: »
    Chicken in a blender with water? Seriously? That's just wrong. What's wrong with a protein shake for god sake!!

I'm curious about that now!

one thing I was wondering about it, if you don't chew it properly it shouldn't mix with the amylase so it shouldn't digest properly right? Although looking at poundstone it seems that he has digested quite a lot in his time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Dead Ed wrote: »
    I'm curious about that now!

one thing I was wondering about it, if you don't chew it properly it shouldn't mix with the amylase so it shouldn't digest properly right? Although looking at poundstone it seems that he has digested quite a lot in his time!

I thought Amylase only acted on starch/sugars.

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »

ah ok, I didn't know that. CHicken shakes for all then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Handstands are tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Molly wrote: »
    Just google crossfit homemade parallettes and theres a free journal entry on how to make them. I made a set and then used them about 5 times before I got bored

Bring 'em into the gym, I'll get my agility on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

You mean soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

g'em wrote: »
    You mean soup?

A Chicken breast and cold water in a blender. hardly!

• Advertisement

A Chicken breast and cold water in a blender. hardly!

Why not? you could throw a bit of cream and salt in there and it would be delicious.

"Chicken Soup for the Lifters' Soul". Could sell millions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

g'em wrote: »
    Why not? you could throw a bit of cream and salt in there and it would be delicious.

"Chicken Soup for the Lifters' Soul". Could sell millions.

Now you're thinking like a fat person. Not a bodybuilder.

Now you're thinking like a fat person. Not a bodybuilder.

Pfft, an off-season bodybuilder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

L, they barely handle my weight, I can't be responsible for you crashing through the floor into the light shop below :P

If you really don't care about the taste you could boil up some turkey mince in a little water, this would cook in no time and then just liquidise it up, if even needed.

Or just whack it in with a can of chicken soup. Turkey mince is really cheap.

If you had cheapo beef mince it could be boiled in water, I expect the fat would layer off to the top, you might need something to hold the meat down and let the fat rise, leave in the fridge and it would solidify and would just come off. Thats if you're worried about fat, some cheap mince is up to 30% fat. Could be kept for frying too.

EDIT: found this on the mince, called "ground beef" in the US if you are searching. http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=353x952
    I have a big pot so could probably fit 3x800g packs of mince into it. Cheap mince in tesco is €3.69/kg, €2.95 per 800g pack "Typically less than 28% fat." , I will do a small batch first. If I was doing a big batch I could have a colindar over a bucket out the back, after draining pour cold water over to cool it before freezing in bags, then leave the bucket and it should have a layer of fat in the morning which can be picked off and binned.

I hate cleaning up fat from spattered fried mince, so this sounds good, could add back coconut oil if its too dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Sounds disgusting. Would mincing the chicken, frying it and eating it not do the job.

The first time I drank it, it was hard to hold down. Disgusting? Yeah pretty much.

You'd still have to chew the chicken if you minced and cooked it. The idea behind blending it is that you get 100% digestion. I have faith in the Poundstone shake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

There's no food in the house, so I'm having two cans of Club Orange as my pre squat energy booster!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Turns starch into sugar afaik. It helps the process, but could prob digest without it.

Chickenshake still sounds muck though

It does.

But like, while I see the point, I think that if you take two or three of us around here (on average) put our diets together, you might hit Poundstones protein requirements.

Perspective folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

FunkZ wrote: »
    There's no food in the house, so I'm having two cans of Club Orange as my pre squat energy booster!

I wouldnt want to spike my insulin like that before a workout....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It does.

But like, while I see the point, I think that if you take two or three of us around here (on average) put our diets together, you might hit Poundstones protein requirements.

Perspective folks.

I see your point. He's 6cm shorter than me and weighs 50Kg more. Judging by a quick google, he's quite lean for a man that weight as well. That's a beast of a man right there.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

gymsoldier wrote: »
    The first time I drank it, it was hard to hold down. Disgusting? Yeah pretty much.

You'd still have to chew the chicken if you minced and cooked it. The idea behind blending it is that you get 100% digestion. I have faith in the Poundstone shake!

A mate of mine missread a sarcastic post on a forum about shake recipies and took it as being being geniune-he then started to chug down tuna and milk shakes!
    YUM!!! :D

I see your point. He's 6cm shorter than me and weighs 50Kg more. Judging by a quick google, he's quite lean for a man that weight as well. That's a beast of a man right there.

He doesn't fudge around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He doesn't fudge around.

Does his diet consist of mainly smaller, slower strongman competitors by any chance?

Given the amount of food I put away in a day, I can't even imagine eating enough to put another 50Kg on. Is that quitter talk?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Does his diet consist of mainly smaller, slower strongman competitors by any chance?

Given the amount of food I put away in a day, I can't even imagine eating enough to put another 50Kg on. Is that quitter talk?

I dunno.
    He's a Cop.
    Imagine that catching you and the lads down the lane having cans.....

I dunno.
    He's a Cop.
    Imagine that catching you and the lads down the lane having cans.....
    I could never get over the fact that "Poundstone" is his actual name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

, I can't even imagine eating enough to put another 50Kg on.

It's what makes special people so special.
    UK Strongest Man 2011

Thurs 25th, Fri 26th and Sat 27th August

Bank Holiday Weekend

Odyssey Queens Quay, Belfast, 1.00 pm

UK Strongest man on t'morrow. Plus juniors and legends event featuring older strongmen. One helluva line up over the four days. All of those lads would be considerably stronger than I'll ever be.

Dead Ed wrote: »
    I could never get over the fact that "Poundstone" is his actual name
    Yeah, imagine it was Dilbert Poindexter or something.

There was some pic of a nutritionist woman posted whose surname was Minger, lucky for her she is no minger.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, imagine it was Dilbert Poindexter or something.

There was some pic of a nutritionist woman posted whose surname was Minger, lucky for her she is no minger.

is this her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Mellor wrote: »

Turns starch into sugar afaik. It helps the process, but could prob digest without it.

Chickenshake still sounds muck though

Sugar us such a generic term.

The pollysaccharide Starch is broken down by amylase to give the disaccharide maltose
    &
    Maltose is in turn broken down by maltase into the monosaccharide glucose.

Sugar is not one catch all word

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement