Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Petrol 94.9c, Diesel 93.9c in Tom Hogans the other day. 94/95.9c for petrol in a few places around the City now.

Imagine that petrol would only be 86.9c now if the government hadn't of slapped an extra 8c tax on every litre of petrol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Just thought i'd mention I filled up with diesel in Gala station in Ballina new years eve for ... 89.9c
    Hope I haven't upset anyone by posting this price from the other end of the country.........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,268 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

coup1917 wrote: »
    Just thought i'd mention I filled up with diesel in Gala station in Ballina new years eve for ... 89.9c
    Hope I haven't upset anyone by posting this price from the other end of the country.........:rolleyes:

Mayo forum??

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I think it is very good to benchmark Galway prices against the cheapest on other places around the country. What I am concluding is that Galway petrol prices are consistently dearer than those in other parts of the country not too far away from us. This kind of information strenghthens the argument that there is a fuel cartel in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Anyone notice the overnight hike in prices? - Sean Mulvoy Rd. and Westside stations jumped from 93.9/94.9 to 95.9/96.9
    How is that justified I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mndgz

rumour within the industry has it that petrol+diesel are goin up 4p each tomorrow and another 4 in a couple more days...

no way of telling if thats true or not but I'll get a fill myself tonight just in case...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Unleaded was 92.9 at grealish's in carnmore on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

Carnmore Cross was 89.9 yesterday (I'm told).
    Seems to be the best price around.
    Lots of places seem to be putting the prices up again.
    How can this be.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Carnmore Cross was 89.9 yesterday (I'm told).
    Seems to be the best price around.
    Lots of places seem to be putting the prices up again.
    How can this be.?

I'd say their sneaking the prices up for the rally next weekend. there will be plenty of cars around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Can't remember if Diesel was 89.9 or 90.9 today in Turloughmore.
    Petrol was 92.9

• Advertisement

Most places gone up to 98.9 now..

I filled up for 97.9 per litre in Tom Hogans today.

Must start going to Carnmore Cross!

Some places gone up to 99.9

Weird how prices have gone up in Galway when the price of oil hasn't gone up.... :mad:

It's $37 per barrell today - so prices should come down more in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

I was driving round Cork and Kerry yesterday and saw 99 in a number of places so I don't think it's just Galway this time. Cheapest I saw was 89c in Glengarriff :D

On the way to and from Dublin Airport at the weekend most places were at least 2 or 3c cheaper than Galway City. It was even cheaper on the outskirts of Dublin.

Cheapest I saw was 92.9c in Kilbeggan which was 9c cheaper than most Galway places.

Also in Manchester it was 83p/90c...

I think a few places in Galway City have dropped below the €1 mark since the weekend. Probably because the rally is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭rn

Same thing in Athlone. Its gone up from 93.9 to between 95.9 and 97.9 depending on where you go. Seams strange when oil prices coming down and remaining down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ok, who is responsible for this? About time though.
    A request has been made that the Competitions Authority launch an inquiry into every town in County Galway regarding the prices being charged for petrol and diesel at the pumps.
    It has been suggested that filling stations in every town in the county along with Galway city seem to be charging similar prices for fuel and were not offering value for money for motorists.
    It even has become noticeable that some rural filling stations are offering better prices at the pumps than their competitors in nearby towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

There not bringing the prices down as much as they should.

A barrel of oil now costs under $40 and at it's peak it had gone over $100. We were paying around €1.30 then a litre. So how come the oil has been reduced by over 60% yet the price per litre has only gone down about 25%.

Now I know it takes a while for the reduction to be passed on to the consumer but it should be less than what it already is.

s_carnage wrote: »
    There not bringing the prices down as much as they should.

A barrel of oil now costs under $40 and at it's peak it had gone over $100. We were paying around €1.30 then a litre. So how come the oil has been reduced by over 60% yet the price per litre has only gone down about 25%.

Now I know it takes a while for the reduction to be passed on to the consumer but it should be less than what it already is.

Think oil hit $147 a barrel at one stage! :eek: At that time petrol was around €1.37 and diesel was €1.47

A barrel of oil is now less than a third of the price of what it was / over $100 cheaper.

The only thing is the euro has also weakened against the dollar since. And our wonderful government has increased VAT and added an extra 8c in duty on every litre of petrol. These things considered petrol and diesel in Ireland won't ever come down in price at the same high percentage as barrel of oil priced in dollars.
    But, even so, it still shouldn't be as high as it is - Galway (and many nationwide) garages are taking the piss..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just to let ye know, Maxol at Westside has opened up again.

96.9c litre for both Petrol and Diesel today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Driving up to Galway yesterday and the cheapest place I found petrol was the Texaco station in Tuam which was at 96.9. The other petrol stations in Tuam were 97.9. Then, as soon as I come into the city the Top petrol station is 102.9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Tuam has been cheaper than Galway for a while now.
    The local explanation is that since Tesco started selling petrol in their Claremorris store, Claremorris forecourts have dropped prices to compete, with resulting price pressure on Tuam stations.
    I have always found the Ballindine forecourts cheapest between Galway and Sligo but recently the Tuam forecourts are pushing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tuam has been cheaper than Galway for a while now.
    The local explanation is that since Tesco started selling petrol in their Claremorris store, Claremorris forecourts have dropped prices to compete, with resulting price pressure on Tuam stations.
    I have always found the Ballindine forecourts cheapest between Galway and Sligo but recently the Tuam forecourts are pushing them.

Yup, you've hit the nail on the head. I always use the Texaco at Ballindine though when driving along the N17 as their tanks are newer than the Tuam stations

Maxol is westside is back open again. 97.9 for petrol, diesel 96.9.

Cheapest petrol in the city as far as i know

anyone know why petrol has gone up quite a bit in the last 2 weeks?

106.9 in many stations now in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

rarnes1 wrote: »
    anyone know why petrol has gone up quite a bit in the last 2 weeks?

106.9 in many stations now in the city

Dollar strengthening against the Euro I should think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 oilman

[garbally oil ballinasloe 96.9 today i bough some... it was packed with cars:P

oilman wrote: »

Is that 96.9c for petrol or diesel or both?

That'd be a really good price for petrol considering it's 105/106.9 in some places in Galway City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

oilman wrote: »

it always is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Turloughmore today;
    Diesel 93.9
    Unleaded 101.9

Advertisement