Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Cheapest in Galway city and county that I've seen this week is Howleys in Gort.

Diesel 96.9

Unleaded 105.9

Most expensive that I've seen is Topaz in Newcastle and Sweeney oil on the Headford road.

Diesel 104.9

I didn't look at the petrol price, as I drive diesel, but for the purposes of this thread, I'll pay more attention in future;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought that it was only Diesel that went up in the mini-budget? Why has petrol jumped to 109.5 in Athenry????:confused:

Welcome to the gangster cartel known as Galway filling stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ArraMusha

Welcome to the gangster cartel known as Galway filling stations.

Gangster filling stations in Galway alright. Dont be surprised if you see Tony Soprano taking in the money the next time you fill up in Galway city...or may Joe Pesci.:D
    218717~Joe-Pesci-Posters.jpg

I get the diesel from corrib on tuam road most of the time, normally they're the best...or if i'm passing ballinasloe go to Garbally oil in poolboy...follow the signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Gaillimh1990

Just wondering guys where id the cheapest place in Galway at the moment to get petrol. Personally the cheapest that I have seen is 115.9 @ the petrol st. Tom Hogan Motors.

Thanks in advance, guys,

Gaillimh1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭MenloPete

I believe you'll save €0.00.1 by going to the station near the docks - 115.8 when last seen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

Grealish`s in Carnmore €1.13 cent or €1.12 ltr in Turloughmore abit outside town i know but worth it if your filling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

1.13 in craughwell
    price of oil slipping last few weeks so hopefully she will get closer to the one euro rather than further away

jasus i almost remember the time 20 euro would fill the car !!!

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

€1.12 at texaco barna woods.
    €1.12 slemons in furbo
    €1.12 texaco spiddal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I calculated some time ago that if I were to fill up the entire 60 litre tank at the most expensive station rather than the least expensive I would save less than 2 Euro. So I just fill up wherever now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Magnus wrote: »
    I calculated some time ago that if I were to fill up the entire 60 litre tank at the most expensive station rather than the least expensive I would save less than 2 Euro. So I just fill up wherever now.

Yes, but fill at the cheaper station 5 times and you have saved almost a tenner!

im good at maths me :pac:

Hope the prices keep decreasing though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I guess for someone who drives a lot it could probably make sense to always get the cheapest. Fortunately I can go for weeks on €50

Anyways, back OT - OP check out http://www.pumps.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

The texaco just up the road from Trappers on the Tuam rd is 114.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Maybe a bit off topic, but what's with the obsession with all petrol prices finishing with .9. As in 114.9c?

Ever since I started driving 6 years ago and I check the price of every petrol station I pass, it's always finished on a .9. Never been any different.

Weird

Col200sx wrote: »
    Maybe a bit off topic, but what's with the obsession with all petrol prices finishing with .9. As in 114.9c?

Ever since I started driving 6 years ago and I check the price of every petrol station I pass, it's always finished on a .9. Never been any different.

Weird

Apparently .... 114.9 looks cheaper than 115
    Thats the idea behind it anyway

Blame Pennys .... i think they started it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Col200sx wrote: »

Weird

Always wondered that myself, but I notice the station down by the docks (Texaco?) allways end their petrol price in .8

Dunno what's up with that, maybe the exception proves the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Its 1.11c at Derrydonnell if you driving out that way. Its always cheaper there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I saw petrol at a few different stations for around the 105.9 mark down around Newcastle West/ Abbeyfeale Co Limerick last weekend.

A little OT I know, but it goes to show we're being ripped off in Galway :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Tribesman29

A little closer to home, a place in Charlestown in Mayo had it at 109.9.

Petrol prices in the city seem to be getting more competitive. When I first moved out to Tuam last year, the prices were always 4-5c a litre cheaper than in Galway. Now there is no difference, with some places in the city cheaper. I'm not sure what the cause of this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

deccurley wrote: »
    I saw petrol at a few different stations for around the 105.9 mark down around Newcastle West/ Abbeyfeale Co Limerick last weekend.

A little OT I know, but it goes to show we're being ripped off in Galway :mad:

We always ripped off in galway..not jus wit petrol..EVERYTING!
    That includes the weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

111.9 / litre in Grealishs Carnmore this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

109.9 at the far side of Gort

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

for me the cheapest petrol between tuam and westport is always
    topaz in ballindine but generally ballindine
    i always go through tuam, claremorris and castlebar on the way
    home and this is cheapest everytime
    otherwise grealishs or derrydonnell for me

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

Magnus wrote: »
    I guess for someone who drives a lot it could probably make sense to always get the cheapest. Fortunately I can go for weeks on €50

Anyways, back OT - OP check out http://www.pumps.ie/

Keep an eye on http://www.pumps.ie/ is the only way, the cheapest keeps changing locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Thought this may need bumping as prices have been rising recently and are 131.9 in the city.

How can this be when I just seen the news and petrol is on sale in Dublin for €1.23 / litre ??

Post up the petrol/diesel prices in and around the city.

Name and shame the rip off merchants and promote lower prices.

I'm sure we'll all agree it's best to shop around and stay away from the ripoff garages in Galway. Although the cartel city garages all seem to put up their prices simuntaneously hmmmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

128.9 in both centra and grealishs in carnmore this eve

Esso Tuam Rd Galway City 129.9 12th Mar
    Esso Headford Rd, Galway City 131.9 15th Mar
    Topaz Cemetery Cross Galway City 131.9 12th Mar
    Maxol Lower Salthill Galway City 129.9 19th Mar
    Texaco Silver Strand Galway 129.9 19th Mar
    Texaco 101 Lwr Salthill Galway city 130.9 19th Mar
    Topaz Knocknacarra Rd Salthill 130.9 19th Mar
    Emo Knocknacarra Rd Salthill 130.9 17th Mar
    Topaz Seamus Quirke Road Galway 131.9 19th Mar
    Topaz Newcastle Rd. Lr. Galway City 131.9 19th Mar

Source : www.pumps.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Petrol/Diesel prices are starting to get worringly high again. Amazing when you think about it - we are in a recession and prices aren't far off what they were at the very height of the boom just before the bubble burst. Also the price of a barrel of oil is roughly $80 now, but it prices were roughly $140 per barrel 2 years ago when prices at the pumps were similar to what they are today.

Part of it is down to the euro being weaker against the dollar (oil is traded in dollars). But a lot of it is down to the government increasing tax on every litre of petrol and diesel :mad:. They should scrap the 8c carbon tax on every litre of petrol/diesel which was introduced in the last budget. Oil has increased in price since then so they are getting more VAT anyway, there's no need for the disgraceful carbon tax.

Unaffordable petrol and diesel won't help the economy recover.

They're actually going to bring that parking levy in for Dublin City soon, with Galway and the other cities to follow. People won't be able to afford to go to work at the rate they are going. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

If you just use your car within city limits (<80kms a day), you could consider getting an EV from the uk.

0% VRT. 141 annual road tax. 20kwh a charge (@9cent per kwh on esb night saver) = 1.80 per 80 kms
    You'll need a driveway to charge at night though.

http://www.evfinder.com/classifieds.htm#Electric%20Vehicles%20on%20eBay

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    Petrol/Diesel prices are starting to get worringly high again. Amazing when you think about it - we are in a recession and prices aren't far off what they were at the very height of the boom just before the bubble burst. Also the price of a barrel of oil is roughly $80 now, but it prices were roughly $140 per barrel 2 years ago when prices at the pumps were similar to what they are today.

Part of it is down to the euro being weaker against the dollar (oil is traded in dollars). But a lot of it is down to the government increasing tax on every litre of petrol and diesel :mad:. They should scrap the 8c carbon tax on every litre of petrol/diesel which was introduced in the last budget. Oil has increased in price since then so they are getting more VAT anyway, there's no need for the disgraceful carbon tax.

Unaffordable petrol and diesel won't help the economy recover.

They're actually going to bring that parking levy in for Dublin City soon, with Galway and the other cities to follow. People won't be able to afford to go to work at the rate they are going. :rolleyes:

Link ?

Advertisement