Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

alibabba wrote: »
    Link ?

It was two budgets ago, but still caught up in legal drafting, which might be related to the fact that many of the "victims" of this tax are civil/public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Tom Ghostwood

Dunno if this was posted already but there is a low cost diesel place after opening up in liosbán industrial estate. Drove past it yesterday. Dunno what the price is though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Maybe we should post here what petrol/diesel prices we see around in order to get a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

bp'd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm merging this with an old thread, partly so you can see what others wrote and partly because it'd be cool with history.
    "Ah sure I remember when petrol was only a euro 10 cents, the days the days" :)

How are the prices looking around the place now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    How are the prices looking around the place now?

$hite :mad:

Most of Salthill/Knocknacarra is 141.9, it's gone up 10c in the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

yeah, prices jumped around 5 cent before the budget, and then another 4 cent after the budget. I'm sure the inital hike is due to oil price fluctuations, and not pure greed, right?!

Howleys in Gort is still:

131.9 for Petrol
    121.9 for Diesel

Sounds too good for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭AMHRASACH

I do wonder about Howley's - how do they do that? Is it inferior grade fuel?

AMHRASACH wrote: »
    I do wonder about Howley's - how do they do that? Is it inferior grade fuel?

I didn't mind when they were a few cent cheaper,but 10 cent to me sounds way too cheap,so i question it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Anywhere around the city that does offers like a free car wash if you fill up your tank. Seen a few of them around the country and it eases the sting a little when you throw nearly €100 into a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Where are those alcohol fuelled cars they were promising us a while back?

"One for you... One for me...glug glug glug"

• Registered Users Posts: 43 restartagain

Can any petrol station in Galway beat Grealish's in Carnmore price of €149.9 per litre for unleaded petrol & €139.9 for a litre of diesel. There were reports a few weeks ago that there would be a reduction but this is the only decrease in petrol/diesel that I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

148.9 in Fahys Ballindooley afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

pumps.ie is good site , see diesel 135.9 on headford rd past the castle ,
    sould like in spain all station report there pice to Gov site and look up each day
    mant what to http geoportal.mityc.es/hidrocarburos/eess/# see the price across spain

Does the petrol attendant fill it for your as well. I am not lazy but Grealish's also provide this service which I think is excellent service coupled with the decrease in price

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Headford road filling station after the castle (less than 2 miles from menlo roundabout) €1.489/lit petrol..and they'll fill it up for you as well

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

Can any petrol station in Galway beat Grealish's in Carnmore price of €149.9 per litre for unleaded petrol & €139.9 for a litre of diesel. There were reports a few weeks ago that there would be a reduction but this is the only decrease in petrol/diesel that I found.
    ah yes he has gone back up a cent again, worse than a hoooors nickers going up and down every 5 mins,:D think he does that on purpose to have petrol a cent less for a bit , then when we are all used to going there he adds on the cent. what am i talking about for gods sake , ive got flu so thats why im posting gibberish:(

• Advertisement

He is back down to 148.9 - I just got 70 Euros worth. It makes a big difference when you are getting a big fill with prices charged being between 154-150 Euros elsewhere. So I will definitely be going there from now on. Thanks for alterting us to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

He is back down to 148.9 - I just got 70 Euros worth. It makes a big difference when you are getting a big fill with prices charged being between 154-150 Euros elsewhere. So I will definitely be going there from now on. Thanks for alterting us to this.
    just saw grealish 150.9 petrol.(carnmore cross).

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

So bloody expensive! I remember the days when it was 60/70 pence!
    Fahy's in Ballindooley is where I always find the cheapest each time the price rises, and its not as far out of the city as Carnmore. Handy when they fill it for ya too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Thing is the variations of 1-2cent per litre isnt really going to make a big difference it will only save you about 1 euro a fill.
    Its the fact that it has gone up from about 1.15 -1.20 to 1.50 in past couple of years that is the killer thats more than 15euro a fill!! makes me want to cry into my petrol tank

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Take this as you see fit.

Last friday, I got a fill of Diesel from the station on the headford road, the one with the cheap diesel.

Now, I've used them a couple of times before, but there was always around 1/4 to a 1/2 tank of fuel remaining when i went there.

Last week was the first time I was nearly empty.

Within 15 miles, my car wouldn't accelerate beyone 3500 rpm. It started spluttering and stalling whenever I pressed on the pedal.

I will never, never, never use that station again. The difference in price is just not worth it. Maybe petrol is different, but there's definitely something up with the diesel.

After using up a half tank, I filled up from another station, a branded station this time, and guess what? Everything went back to normal in the car. I'm worried now that there may be some damage to the fuel injectors so I'm going for a service next week to replace fuel filters etc.

I drive an 2008 TDI A6, and have had no issues with the engine beforehand.

Lesson learned.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Modern diesels are so highly strung that if the diesel is washed or dirty, you're going to have major ballache.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. That said, I saw the results of samples taken from a popular franchised station in County Galway and they concluded that it was diluted with Kerosene, so even a "reputable" joint isn't above it, even if the fuel isn't sourced in the diesel fields of South Armagh. It proper ****ed up the engine of a brand new luxury car, took €3k to put it right.

Always hang on to your diesel receipts for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

I know this is the city tread but O'Donoghues (Texaco) in Abbeyknockmoy is 1.379 Diesel and 1.469 Petrol at the mo. Might be useful for someone out there if they are passing it by. I've used the diesel from there a few times and have had no issues.

deargas wrote: »
    Take this as you see fit.

Last friday, I got a fill of Diesel from the station on the headford road, the one with the cheap diesel.

Now, I've used them a couple of times before, but there was always around 1/4 to a 1/2 tank of fuel remaining when i went there.

Last week was the first time I was nearly empty.

Within 15 miles, my car wouldn't accelerate beyone 3500 rpm. It started spluttering and stalling whenever I pressed on the pedal.

I will never, never, never use that station again. The difference in price is just not worth it. Maybe petrol is different, but there's definitely something up with the diesel.

After using up a half tank, I filled up from another station, a branded station this time, and guess what? Everything went back to normal in the car. I'm worried now that there may be some damage to the fuel injectors so I'm going for a service next week to replace fuel filters etc.

I drive an 2008 TDI A6, and have had no issues with the engine beforehand.

Lesson learned.

This is more likely because you let it go too empty, so that any sediment in the tank was sucked into the engine. After a few miles it will often clear, hence the improvement you saw

Disclaimer: I'm not connected with any garage, the above is based on my own expierence

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

This is more likely because you let it go too empty, so that any sediment in the tank was sucked into the engine. After a few miles it will often clear, hence the improvement you saw

Disclaimer: I'm not connected with any garage, the above is based on my own expierence

Nope. The improvement I saw was after I did 350 miles, and topped up the tank with diesel from a different garage. The change, after I filled for the second time, was almost instantaneous. 10 miles down the road and the engine was perfect again. As I say, this has never happened again, and I've often let the tank run low. By low, I mean it was in the reserve with 25 miles still registering on the digital 'miles left' reading.

I spoke with my brother about this at the weekend, who as it happens, works at a different garage out of the county. He said they had a similar issue last week, with 4 cars returning to complain of engine troubles. There's bad diesel going around, fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

deargas wrote: »
    Nope. The improvement I saw was after I did 350 miles, and topped up the tank with diesel from a different garage. The change, after I filled for the second time, was almost instantaneous. 10 miles down the road and the engine was perfect again. As I say, this has never happened again, and I've often let the tank run low. By low, I mean it was in the reserve with 25 miles still registering on the digital 'miles left' reading.

I spoke with my brother about this at the weekend, who as it happens, works at a different garage out of the county. He said they had a similar issue last week, with 4 cars returning to complain of engine troubles. There's bad diesel going around, fact.

deargas is your brother working in a branded petrol station or do they sell cheap diesel, as already said with a modern diesel engine with so much electronic parts fitted dont stray away for the saving of a few cents, as it will cost you big if anything goes wrong with the fuel system.

Advertisement