Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

There will be a folder in the AsstDeanEducation folder on the LAN with the general course description; content, lecturer, type of assessment etc. at some stage. If you want, PM me your email address and I can send you the documents from last year. I can't imagine the courses changing that much.

Places are limited (max 30 students in each) so how it works is that you are given a sheet of paper where you write down your top 5 choices. I got my top one, but not everyone did so don't get your hopes too high!

I did A.B.A. for mine. It was interesting but not as hands-on as some of the other ones. Got some great ideas for classroom management, the lecturer is an absolute legend and the assessment is pretty handy (two projects - VERY straightforward, don't require that much effort plus six MCQs. Only the top 5 MCQ scores are counted so you can even skip one if you so wish!).

I was a bit disappointed about my grade in the end though, as I would have had to get 98% to get an A1 and 94% to get an A2. Stupid "curve!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

RibenaHead wrote: »
    I did A.B.A. for mine. It was interesting but not as hands-on as some of the other ones. Got some great ideas for classroom management, the lecturer is an absolute legend and the assessment is pretty handy (two projects - VERY straightforward, don't require that much effort plus six MCQs. Only the top 5 MCQ scores are counted so you can even skip one if you so wish!).

I was a bit disappointed about my grade in the end though, as I would have had to get 98% to get an A1 and 94% to get an A2. Stupid "curve!"

Thanks for the info RibenaHead.

That marking system sounds ridiculous though- it'd be much better if projects were just marked harder rather than arbitrarily changing grade bands. Either that or let everyone get the grade you actually deserve. The difference that grades have on your QCA is far bigger than the real difference in percentage terms between the standard of people's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Just checkin.

If i'm in a Mary I Student Band and i've a gig comin up, am i allowed flog the bejaysus out of it here?

Flog away!! Sure this is the only place to spread issues of interest to Mary I students seeing as we only have a sticky in the UL forum. It's awfully messy in here without a FORUM OF OUR OWN!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gigtown wrote: »
    Just checkin.

If i'm in a Mary I Student Band and i've a gig comin up, am i allowed flog the bejaysus out of it here?

Don't forget to lend your support for the proposed forum! A section for college bands and musicians would be a brilliant idea if we were ever to get it :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68317697#post68317697

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Faust1 wrote: »
    Summerville is now primarily for post grads as far as I know.

Pretty much. We have a new computer room which is great. All we need now is for the two old computer rooms to be made into reading rooms and we are all set. The desks are already there we just need the permission to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barkwater

dambarude wrote: »
    I think Ped Op selection time will be coming up soon. I know there was some discussion on it about 50 pages back, but has anyone any advice on which would be a good one to do? And how exactly do they decide which one you do?

I did Web Design and Multimedia authoring for mine and I really enjoyed it - I'd certainly reccommend it.

The main point of the course is to learn how to make some basic (emphasis on basic!) websites and flash games for use in the classroom. If you're very computer literate, the software (Macromedia: Flash, Dreamweaver & Fireworks) will seem very basic/outdated, especially if you're familiar with Photoshop. However, they still get the job done when you're using them for classroom purposes. You also get told about some absolute gems of sites by the lecturer (who is as sound as they come!) and how you can best use them on TP.

The assessment is pretty easy as it's basically just having to make a Flash game and website for the classroom. If you start them early enough, you're sorted for the module without any stress at all! TBH it's a very handy one to do - it certainly didn't seem as stressful as some of the others that my friends were doing!

Barkwater wrote: »
    I did Web Design and Multimedia authoring for mine and I really enjoyed it - I'd certainly reccommend it.

The main point of the course is to learn how to make some basic (emphasis on basic!) websites and flash games for use in the classroom. If you're very computer literate, the software (Macromedia: Flash, Dreamweaver & Fireworks) will seem very basic/outdated, especially if you're familiar with Photoshop. However, they still get the job done when you're using them for classroom purposes. You also get told about some absolute gems of sites by the lecturer (who is as sound as they come!) and how you can best use them on TP.

The assessment is pretty easy as it's basically just having to make a Flash game and website for the classroom. If you start them early enough, you're sorted for the module without any stress at all! TBH it's a very handy one to do - it certainly didn't seem as stressful as some of the others that my friends were doing!

This is going to sound like a
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX8VJg9ZKDpODDS9Al0l9iiCpt4a4MqzY7wcjuZRhN71CwFRE&t=1&usg=__n4orBY0HpV8_dMSYmLuckACfmHg=
    but it's for information like this we need a forum!

Thanks for the info Barkwater. Is the multimedia authoring ped op usually in high demand meaning it is hard to get in to?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

dambarude wrote: »
    This is going to sound like a
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX8VJg9ZKDpODDS9Al0l9iiCpt4a4MqzY7wcjuZRhN71CwFRE&t=1&usg=__n4orBY0HpV8_dMSYmLuckACfmHg=
    but it's for information like this we need a forum!

Thanks for the info Barkwater. Is the multimedia authoring ped op usually in high demand meaning it is hard to get in to?

I did the same one too. You should have no problem at all getting into it, and you'll laugh your way to a high grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

I did development and intercultural education for my ped op, it wasn't my first choice...or close to it.....but i am delighted I got it!
    If you are any way interested in the world around you and teaching kids about the world around them and making it fun, then I highly recommend it! The assessment is really easy (though there is group work which can be difficult as always!) and the lecturer is great!

• Advertisement

You also get told about some absolute gems of sites by the lecturer (who is as sound as they come!)

Gotta love BB. What a legend!!

Gotta love BB. What a legend!!

The BB Vlog

HERE WE GO!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think she meant a different BB there D-ONION...

/stating the obvious

But... THE HYPE!

THE WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING!

Actually, while I've got the attention of the Web Design & Multimedia Authoring crew, what were some of these awesome website ye were told about? :D

I don't remember any of them, I was too busy being awesome. >_>

Actually, getting back to Mary I stuff, could you edit the sig picture slightly? If it said "Click here to" above the "Support the Mary I Forum" banner it might get a bit more traffic towards the request thread.

Actually, while I've got the attention of the Web Design & Multimedia Authoring crew, what were some of these awesome website ye were told about? :D

Hee! Basically, it was just what's on www.ict.mic.ul.ie and then just exploring the B.Ed 2 and B.Ed 3 parts of site. We spent a significant amount of time in that pedop just playing on the internet! A lot of them are Web 2.0 based and BB just gave a few suggestions as to what you could do in the classroom with them.

BTW, if those links are broken on the website, just type them in manually and they're fine then!

Hee! Basically, it was just what's on www.ict.mic.ul.ie and then just exploring the B.Ed 2 and B.Ed 3 parts of site.

I can't get on to the B. Ed. 3 part of the site! :(

I can't get on to the B. Ed. 3 part of the site! :(

Type this straight into the address bar - works for me!

http://www.ict.mic.ul.ie/bed3/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Just to let everyone know we gave the Mary I forum an honorable mention in the new M&N Vlog which we just put up.Here's hoping...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCHDn8Eyn0

As the winter draws closer and the cold&flu season returns just thought I'd mention that O'Sullivans Pharmacy on O'Connell Av has a special deal for Mary I students. I had totally forgotten about this until I popped in there yesterday. I think it is 5% discount on general products and 10% discount on prescriptions.

Handy when you are skint.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

I can't recommend bb's pedop more highly...multimedia and internet development was interesting and useful!

Plus, the site I made is relevant to my home tp..and he uploaded it for me...:D

Plug time:

Oktoberfest in college next week...

Oktoberfest...

...details please, you have my full attention:D

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

see misu oktoberfest for all the details!

RonMexico wrote: »
    As the winter draws closer and the cold&flu season returns just thought I'd mention that O'Sullivans Pharmacy on O'Connell Av has a special deal for Mary I students. I had totally forgotten about this until I popped in there yesterday. I think it is 5% discount on general products and 10% discount on prescriptions.

Handy when you are skint.

Ballinacurra Pharmacy (across the road from Punch's, just before Lidl. In that redbrick centre with Spar, Indira restaurant etc.) also has 10% student discount on prescriptions.

On that note, Indira has fantastic food! Yum yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Ballinacurra Pharmacy (across the road from Punch's, just before Lidl. In that redbrick centre with Spar, Indira restaurant etc.) also has 10% student discount on prescriptions.

On that note, Indira has fantastic food! Yum yum!
    Jaysus lads, if I didn't know any better I'd say ye were spamming!!!:D

postedit: this is a further reason why we need a seperate Mary I forum, in order to set up a separate spamming thread!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Are we off tomorrow and wednesday? :confused:

I never got days off for the Open Days, in 3 years at the college. Some lectures were "forgotten" though, but you could never guess who'd show up and who wouldn't :D

• Advertisement

AFAIK we don't have any time of this week for the open days.

I was in the UL library for the first time this evening, and all I can say is :eek:.

Something badly needs to be done with the library in Mary I, it's a joke tbh.

Advertisement