Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

There is a stoning tomorrow afternoon outside the library. No women allowed of course, but I have it on good word that beards will be for sale in Fennesseys. Should be a good one - local boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭jkbrackens11

How do I get onto the lan or "lecturenotes" at home?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

How do I get onto the lan or "lecturenotes" at home?

This will definitely have to be stickied if we get our own forum!

1.) Go to www.lan.mic.ul.ie
    2.) Enter micstudent\firstname.lastname*
    3.) enter the password you use to access PCs in the PC room.

*Don't forget your middle initial if that applies to you

It won't find the page :(

It won't find the page :(

Some people were having difficulty getting on the LAN from outside college- you'll have to ask somebody in the computer room about it.

I don't want to sound patronising, but are you sure you're putting in your details correctly?:)

• Advertisement

dambarude wrote: »
    Some people were having difficulty getting on the LAN from outside college- you'll have to ask somebody in the computer room about it.

I don't want to sound patronising, but are you sure you're putting in your details correctly?:)

It doesn't even ask me to put in my details the url is just no good to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Works for me. Maybe your computers security settings need to be adjusted. What exactly are you seeing when you click the link, is there a message?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Heads up for anyone doing Home TP this semester.

So far the college has told us that we are having our school visit on Wednesday 6/10/10 at 9am.
    I rang my school to change to the tuesday and was told that Mary I sent out letters about TP to all principals, and it states that we are arriving for the visit at 11.15am.

Its a small difference, but arriving 2hrs earlier than expected would piss quite a few teachers off because they may not have work organised to occupy the class. Plus it gives a bad first impression of the student teacher!

Hopefully the TP dept will actually get in touch with us before that initial visit and tell us what they want us to find out, rather than telling us that information AFTER we have visited the school!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

So far the college has told us that we are having our school visit on Wednesday 6/10/10 at 9am.
    I rang my school to change to the tuesday and was told that Mary I sent out letters about TP to all principals, and it states that we are arriving for the visit at 11.15am.

Its a small difference, but arriving 2hrs earlier than expected would piss quite a few teachers off because they may not have work organised to occupy the class. Plus it gives a bad first impression of the student teacher!

Hopefully the TP dept will actually get in touch with us before that initial visit and tell us what they want us to find out, rather than telling us that information AFTER we have visited the school!

I've contacted the T.P. dept. about this on behalf of my (and your, Ciarraioch1) class. Will let people know what the story is when I get a reply.

I agree, it seems like such a small thing but there is absolutely no need for it. Schools and students should be provided with the same info regarding T.P.

RibenaHead wrote: »
    I've contacted the T.P. dept. about this on behalf of my (and your, Ciarraioch1) class. Will let people know what the story is when I get a reply.

I agree, it seems like such a small thing but there is absolutely no need for it. Schools and students should be provided with the same info regarding T.P.
    I realise that running TP is a logistical nightmare, but far too many of these mistakes happen. It often happens that schools aren't aware that students are arriving until they're knocking on the door.

We're meant to show professionalism in our dealings with the school authorities; I wish that the TP office could do the same.

• Advertisement

Right, I have been told that this updated time for the home TP initial visit has been on Moodle last week.

If I'm not mistaken, I was on Moodle prior to emailing the TP dept and it was not there. I may be wrong. Can anyone confirm if the updated details were on Moodle prior to noon today?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Moodle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The new name for the lan/student information system thingy?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Moodle?

It's the new blackboard basically:

http://www.vle.mic.ul.ie/

All info regarding TP is now there instead of on the LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

So, it has been correctly pointed out that if Mary I got its own forum, all LAN issues would be a sticky, what else?

Teaching Practice?
    Accommodation?
    Where to eat and drink?
    Micro Teaching?
    3rd Year BA off campus?
    Course and Module information?
    FYP?

Thoughts anyone????

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So, it has been correctly pointed out that if Mary I got its own forum, all LAN issues would be a sticky, what else?

Teaching Practice?
    Accommodation?
    Where to eat and drink?
    Micro Teaching?
    3rd Year BA off campus?
    Course and Module information?
    FYP?

Thoughts anyone????

Clubs and Socs information
    Charity/RAG week/Seachtain na Gaeilge/SHAG week, etc information
    College sports news

Good thinking, munsterdevil!

I'd say that Microteaching and TP should all be in the one place as it's a type of TP.

Maybe
    Teaching practice/ECCE placements
    Work placement/year abroad (3rd year Arts forum!)
    FYP
    Accessing college resources (LAN/ Moodle / student e-maill)
    Social stuff - upcoming events in/around college (this one wouldn't really need to be a sticky though)

Perhaps the SU would like to do their "clinic" as a sticky, whereby students can anonymously post queries/issues here...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

The former has just been done. The latter hasn't, but there sure is a lot to say about it in a Mary I thread/forum:P

Going back to our friend BC did you hear what Ja Leno called him. It was on Liveline today but they couldn't use the 2 words on air but you can see it here.
    Right, I have been told that this updated time for the home TP initial visit has been on Moodle last week.

If I'm not mistaken, I was on Moodle prior to emailing the TP dept and it was not there. I may be wrong. Can anyone confirm if the updated details were on Moodle prior to noon today?

Regarding school visit Neil O Conaill told me 11.15am last week when I met him, then I later saw 9am somewhere else, can't remember but it probably was Moodle cos I was on it a couple of days later.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Ye have to remember, too many stickies pushes the real threads down the list and makes the forum look messy. I've always said no forum needs more than 4/5 stickies Max. People looking for any other information can use the search bar.

Also, discussion-ey threads should be left unstuck as they always float to the top anyway. Only info lists or threads for news should be in the stickies, things that are going to be updated irregularly but contain important info. So my list would be:

- The Charter (has to be included, contains rules and such
    - Accessing Info on the Lan- (common question, gets rid of countless threads)
    - Clubs and Socs information - (List of names/what they do/when they meet)
    - Current goings on in Mary I thread - (encompasses what IO was getting at)
    - Talk to MISU! (this gets the exception of discussion thread sticky because new posters are more likely to find it up the top)

TP discussion can go in it's own thread, but I don't think it warrants a sticky, it should be busy enough to always be at the top when it needs to be.

The 'Autumn Semester Schedule 2010 Yr 3 and Yr 4' document was emailed to us during the summer and it's also available in the AsstDeanEducation folder on the LAN. This said 9am.

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% certain that the initial visit time was NOT on Moodle this morning. Up until Friday, the only information up there was the time and date of T.P. prep. However, I have been told that this information (about the initial visit) was on Moodle since last week.

• Advertisement

lighthouse wrote: »
    Our mary from Ballyfermot or some such place just got through :D
    That really has nothing to do with Mary I...

The SU would disagree with you who are holding a survey on the self same topic here!!!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Ye have to remember, too many stickies pushes the real threads down the list and makes the forum look messy. I've always said no forum needs more than 4/5 stickies Max. People looking for any other information can use the search bar.
    It should be 3 max if you ask me:
    -The Charter
    -Technical/Computer/Timetable etc. issues
    -Talk to MISU (I wouldn't have though of that one if it wasn't for RIBENAHEAD and D4RK ONION posting about it or thinking about it in their head )
    and maybe a Clubs and Socs one.
    TP discussion can go in it's own thread, but I don't think it warrants a sticky, it should be busy enough to always be at the top when it needs to be.
    Definitely. I don't really like threads with one hundred pages talking about the same, but different things. I'm less likely to bother looking at it. The thread I'm posting in right now is an obvious exception to that though, but needs must!

And regarding talking to the MISU, it's a great idea to hold clinics. Make sure you keep advertising it because I don't think too many know about it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Secondhanddress

Hello all,

Who would you like to see play the Wired Fm launch party? Please be realistic, we have a small budget! :)

Hello all,

Who would you like to see play the Wired Fm launch party? Please be realistic, we have a small budget! :)

Tommy Collins.

Hello all,

Stone Throwing Youths

www.myspace.com/stonethrowingyouths

Tommy Collins.

I'd be happy to play a small acoustic set for free :)

-Talk to MISU (I wouldn't have though of that one if it wasn't for D Onion's suggestion)
    and maybe a Clubs and Socs one. .

*looks back*
    Perhaps the SU would like to do their "clinic" as a sticky, whereby students can anonymously post queries/issues here...

*looks back*

Apologies:o

It was a good idea.

I'll edit in the correct reference:)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I've had that in my mind since they signed up. I'm fairly sure I've mentioned before in this thread and have said it to Noel of the SU last week. :rolleyes:
    Tommy Collins.
    I'd be happy to play a small acoustic set for free :)

Oh dear god no :P

• Advertisement

I've had that in my mind since they signed up. I'm fairly sure I've mentioned before in this thread and have said it to Noel of the SU last week. :rolleyes:

:pac:

Re-edited:p

Advertisement