Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

lighthouse wrote: »
    She's an Irish version of Subo. It's her agus a léihead that makes this country such a great little country :D

I'm not quite sure whether I should talk about the X Factor or Brian Cowen now:confused:
    Tragedy wrote:
    To me, that's also whinging.
    Whinging isn't a particularly adult word to use, and whether it says it in the dictionary or not, it sounds derogatory to me.

IMO statements like:
    Arguing anything else is wrong.
    Plain wrong.
    shouldn't be used. As is evident, people in this thread have different view on Brian Cowen's visit, and I think we should just leave it at that. I know I have nothing more to say on the matter, so I'm moving on to Mary from X Factor related issues now thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

RonMexico wrote: »
    There isn't a big enough pot kettle black picture on the internet for this.
    I see, yet again, for the fourth time now? You keep posting, but refuse to actually argue, back up your posts, views or opinions. You just go off on tangents and attack me.
    Boards.ie has a general rule, attack the post and not the poster - how many times have you broken that so far?
    Congratulations on illustrating the woeful attitude and general hypocrisy that is the defining trait of Fianna Fail. You sure joined the right society.
    The awesome thing is, I haven't attended a single society event or meeting, so aside from paying €2 and getting a free pen to give to my brother because he hates FF, I've done absolutely nothing else and yet you stalk my posts, latch on to this and bring stuff from another forum into this thread because you're so desperate.
    I've said all that I want in relation to this. If you want to continue with your Fianna Fail propaganda then feel free to post it on my profile wall instead of polluting the forum of a college you don't even attend. Just a suggestion. There is always the politics forum too.
    Where have I posted FF propaganda? You're the person who brought FF up and keep making FF an issue.

Oh right, yet again you wont reply to any of my points and will just stalk my posts to find something else to bring up.

Kudos good sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'd just like to clarify the following.

The students union letter was a great idea and I fully supported it.

I stated that somebody walked out during his speech and I said that I was glad. In my opinion it is an act of silent protest and is acceptable in a free society.

I never endorsed hecklers or advocated egg throwing or anything of a similar nature.

I expressed my own personal opinion of him and his party and I am entitled to that.

Nowhere did I complain about the new building.

Just in case anybody is trying to suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Tragedy wrote: »
    I'm told students walked out during his speech. Since no-one was forced to be at his speech, and in fact I think most people couldn't go(not that they'd want to), I think that's quite rude.

I don't know if anybody walked out on his speech as I was 7 or 8 rows from the front. If they did it was definitely a silent protest as I didn't hear anything.

People walking out on his speech isn't the worst thing in the world. As I said if they did it was definitely dignified.
    Attendance was by invitation although I did see some students who appeared as if they had strolled in. Their presence would have been at the discretion of the MISU helpers which in fairness wasn't strict like when the President came to the theatre and we were all allocated seats and that time you definitely wouldn't have gotten in without an invitation.
    Come to think of it considering Brian Cowen is a much more controversial figure it was easier to get in to yesterday's event.
    Maybe the College authorities did it this way on purpose and secretely wanted a protest but couldn't be seen to condone it. Just joking. :)

dambarude wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure whether I should talk about the X Factor or Brian Cowen now:confused:

Let's talk about the X factor. It is starting in 5 mins. Oh BTW I'm sure EW is having a good auld laugh reading this.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Hey MISU office dudes. I have to say, the pictures on the site are pretty bad quality. Are you sure you've uploaded the originals and not some sort of thumbnailed version?

The photos that were uploaded to fb were lower quality versions of the photos I will be uploading at some stage next weekend.
    I emailed lower quality versions to the misu office so they could upload them asap.

Oh BTW I'm sure EW is having a good auld laugh reading this.;)

I'm sure he is! And I'm sure he's not the only college lecturer who know about Boards... not that they'd post here anyway, it'd be far too controversial for little ol' Mary I.

I notice that none of the media have reported that Brian Cowen was in Mary I yesterday. They did show him at UL though :mad:. It's like being cheated by your big brother! Maybe if somebody had thrown an egg we'd get a bit of attention!

I'm sure he is! And I'm sure he's not the only college lecturer who know about Boards... not that they'd post here anyway.

He's not. I can verify that. :D

As for the X-Factor Brian Cowen dilemma.

Isn't the Taoiseach fond of an aul sing-song. Sure he'll have plenty of time to audition next year. :D

What would he sing though?

EDIT:

I'm just surprised they didn't have him open the Birdhill to Finnegans part of the M7, instead it opened with no fanfare whatsoever.

Must be keeping a low profile :pac:

RonMexico wrote: »
    What would he sing though?

I'd like to hear him sing this:

No reason, there's no significance to the meaning of the song. I just think it'd be cool:cool:.

• Advertisement

We all know that's what he gets up to during Summer Break.

No problem.

I'd like to hear him sing this:

No reason, there's no significance to the meaning of the song. I just think it'd be cool:cool:.

I suppose that was a resource you picked up for infant TP :p

I suppose that was a resource you picked up for infant TP :p

I wish I could answer yes to that question:o

Cool

Moving swiftly along. I see our Subo is still there.

I notice that none of the media have reported that Brian Cowen was in Mary I yesterday. They did show him at UL though :mad:. It's like being cheated by your big brother! Maybe if somebody had thrown an egg we'd get a bit of attention!

I know it's terrible. Trouble about the egg is that it would have made the front page of the Wall Street Journal and they don't seem to be our best friends at the moment. Could you imagine the headlines.
    Come to think of it why doesn't MISU organise another competition for the headline that would appear on the Wall Street Journal if Brian Cowen had been the recipient of an egg hurdling through the air. First prize €1,000

In light of the last few pages of this thread I think we need a Mary I forum fast. If only for moderators to keep things running smoothly.

Also - it could allow threads for banter where people know the score and other threads for more "serious" discussion.

Things got a little congested there allright.
    Just going back to our little discussion I was reading today's Mirror (I just buy it for the programme guide as I have also bought the Irish Times today, honest) and there is an article written by Lord Henry Mountcharles in which he refers to Brian Cowen as biffo. It's funny how my opinion of BC has changed since meeting him. I would have been in the LHM camp up to this but now I look on a comment like that as showing complete disrespect for BC and the Office of Taoiseach. I mean who does he think he is to be making such statements in a national "paper" He (LHM) is somebody a lot of people would have respect for. If he disagrees with his viewpoints let him state them instead of this type of gutter comments.

On a somewhat related note, do people realise that Simon Coveneys twittering of Brian Cowen on Morning AM increased Irelands cost of raising money and made it just that little bit harder for whoever follows next?
    I've long had a distaste for him, seeing him as someone purely interested in his own profile and not much else, but that really took the piss.

• Advertisement

Personally I would have to say that free speech is free speech and some people are naturally going to be targets for criticism and ridicule. There is a long history of that, both in Ireland and abroad.

If you read some of the stuff that Hunter S. Thompson came out with in print about politicians you would be shocked. Compared to American politics, criticism of Brian Cowen here is mild to say the least.

Ok here is a few Thompson quotes:

"I had a soft spot in my heart for Ronald Reagan, if only because he was a sportswriter in his youth, and also because his wife gave the best head in Hollywood."

"This is no time for the "leader of the free world" to be falling asleep at massively-popular sporting events. . .Was [Bush] drunk? Does he fear the sight of an uncovered nipple? Was he lying? Does he believe in his heart that there are more evangelical Christians in this country than football fans and sex-crazed yoyos with unstable minds? Is he really as dumb as he looks and acts? These are all unsatisfactory questions at a time like this."

"Bush is a natural-born loser with a filthy-rich daddy who pimped his son out to rich oil-mongers. He hates music, football and sex, in no particular order, and he is no fun at all."

"Richard Nixon has never been one of my favorite people anyway. For years I've regarded his existence as a monument to all the rancid genes and broken chromosomes that corrupt the possibilities of the American Dream; he was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena and the style of a poison toad. The Nixon I remembered was absolutely humorless; I couldn't imagine him laughing at anything except maybe a paraplegic who wanted to vote Democratic but couldn't quite reach the lever on the voting machine."

"If the right people had been in charge of Nixon's funeral, his casket would have been launched into one of those open-sewage canals that empty into the ocean just south of Los Angeles. He was a swine of a man and a jabbering dupe of a president. Nixon was so crooked that he needed servants to help him screw his pants on every morning. Even his funeral was illegal. He was queer in the deepest way. His body should have been burned in a trash bin."

Compared to that, I think Cowen gets off lightly :D

On a somewhat related note, do people realise that Simon Coveneys twittering of Brian Cowen on Morning AM increased Irelands cost of raising money and made it just that little bit harder for whoever follows next?
    I've long had a distaste for him, seeing him as someone purely interested in his own profile and not much else, but that really took the piss.

Hi tragedy I see you are continuing with the spin Fianna Failers were going on about in the days after the event, trying to blame Coveney for the whole affair. In fact "talk" about the interview had been well established by the time of the Twitter. I think putting the whole blame on Coveney is just spin and a little naieve.

You're joking right?

If that was anyones fault it was Brian Cowen himself, or his 'handlers' as they call them.

You're joking right?

If that was anyones fault it was Brian Cowen himself, or his 'handlers' as they call them.

Have to agree with you there dambarude again. We seem to be singing from the same hymnsheet a lot of the time ;)

Isn't it great how a bit of auld politics can get people so worked up. I always felt that the people who used to say never discuss politics or religion in pubs were talking sh** I know this isn't a pub but isn't it fun all the same :rolleyes:

Isn't it great how a bit of auld politics can get people so worked up. I always felt that the people who used to say never discuss politics or religion in pubs were talking sh** I know this isn't a pub but isn't it fun all the same :rolleyes:

Indeed, I'm delighted that there are people associated with Mary I that actually know something about what's going outside the place.

Some people didn't have a notion about what sort of cuts or registration fee rises are in the offing when the Cowen petition was going round last week. Of course the SU did a good job in raising the issue, but many wouldn't have had an idea without their input.

Hi tragedy I see you are continuing with the spin Fianna Failers were going on about in the days after the event, trying to blame Coveney for the whole affair. In fact "talk" about the interview had been well established by the time of the Twitter. I think putting the whole blame on Coveney is just spin and a little naieve.
    Where did I blame Coveney for the whole affair? I blamed Coveney for increasing Irelands cost of borrowing, which is different.
    There was plenty of talk in ireland but Wall Street Journal? BBC? God knows how many more international news agencies reporting that the Prime Minister of Ireland appeared on morning tv either drunk or hungover? No.

Here's what Noonan said(A man known for being a bruiser and a heavyweight in FG)
    "“He certainly was a man who was coming at the interview after a very late night.”
    And Coveney
    "He sounded half way between drunk and hungover and totally disinterested..."

Bit of a difference.
    BIFFO being completely uninspiring, sounding disinterested and not coming across as particularly articulate is nothing new, it's what he does every single interview. Of course, people reading about it or watching the video in the states or Germany have no idea what biffo usually sounds like or comes across, so all they see is a stumbling bumbling idiot who sounds slurred thanks to a beautiful Offaly accent. Which he may be, but not much more than usual in that interview :p
    It is what amounts to a storm in the teacup, blown out of proportion and escalated by Coveney twittering.

As for FF spin? I've been involved in trying to gather support to stop FF going ahead with the new Nationals Children Hospital for years at this stage, I voted FG at the last election and I lost my job due to FF budget cuts so I think it's about time to stop propagating the FF crap RonMexico started, yeah? I'm literally praying that someone other than FF wins the next election so the new NCH doesn't get built, I'm against it so strongly. None of that means I hate FF, or love FG or Labour or anything - I don't feel strongly for or against any party, and I don't understand why people in Ireland do(realistically, they're all centre left with no differing ideology and perform the same...except perhaps Labour loving Unions and the Greens being absolutely insane).

Where did I blame Coveney for the whole affair? I blamed Coveney for increasing Irelands cost of borrowing, which is different.

I think you are nitpicking my boy.

Tá signature nua agam!

Royston Brady is talking about our BC now.

• Advertisement

I think you are nitpicking my boy.
    Not at all. Blaming Coveney for Cowens performance is ridiculous. Blaming Coveney(not solely mind, but he had a huge part to play) for using his heightened profile to imply Cowen was drunk/hungover isn't. Is it?

Here's what a Labour TD said
    "The interview given by the Taoiseach on Morning Ireland must rank as one of the most inept and unconvincing ever given by a Taoiseach in the history of the State.
    Such a performance by a Taoiseach at any time would be a matter of concern, but at a time when the country is facing such huge economic problems, it must set serious alarm bells ringing."
    Sinn Fein said
    "the state of the country’s finances was more important than Mr Cowen’s performance in a radio interview."
    Lucinda Creighton(who's been quite impressive, as has Leo Varadkar)
    "The country on its knees and we’re talking about the entertainment at an FF think-in. Good God"

Biffo having a crap interview = not international news. Biffo being drunk? International news.
    Now do you see why people claim Coveney has some culpability? And it really isn't just FF spin doctors saying it.

Advertisement