Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

P1010568.jpg

Is 2525 the year that the government will finally have enough money to fund the next stage of campus development?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

RibenaHead wrote: »
    P1010568.jpg

Is 2525 the year that the government will finally have enough money to fund the next stage of campus development?

That would be an ecumenical matter :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Hang on...

What are those 2s and 5s for? I'm guessing Ribenahead's suggestions isn't right:D

lighthouse wrote: »
    A bit of constructive criticism, maybe if ye got a few more people to pose for the camera it would be better. ;)

I take back this comment. Just looked at the orientation pics.
    dambarude wrote: »
    Hang on...

What are those 2s and 5s for? I'm guessing Ribenahead's suggestions isn't right:D

No idea. Press photographers were taking photos also. Maybe MISU could enlighten us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

2525 is the number of qualified teachers that will graduate this year and will need to emigrate to find work.

Or maybe it is 25, as in the number of years it will take to crawl out of the hole that Fianna Fail have created for this economy. (it will actually be worse)

Or maybe it is 25billion. The sort of figure this government like to piss up against the wall.

Or maybe it is 2525, the year when the Irish people finally realise that Fianna Fail and other "pillars" are actually corrupt power mad criminals out to line their own pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Or maybe 25 is the amount of people who will pointlessly bitch about Brian Cowen opening a new MI building that the government paid for.

Yeah because he found the money for it down the back of a sofa. :rolleyes:

RonMexico wrote: »
    And?
    It's paid for by the government, ergo someone from the government officially opens it. It's how it works in most countries.

I'm sure Mary I would fare well looking for new funding if it politely declinded Brian Cowen opening the new block.

Stop your bloody whingeing and enjoy.

Must have been a big sofa :P

Open your eyes and take a look at the state of the country.

If you think I am going to fall to my knees and thank Brian Cowen for gracing us with his presence you can think again.

The actions of this government have had a devastating effect on this country and will continue to do so for generations.

The recession has hit my family extremely hard, maybe you are one of the very few who haven't been affected. If so consider yourself lucky.

As for the Tara building. Yeah it is great and badly needed, not to mention LONG overdue. It is good to see OUR money going back into education instead of abandoning one of our leading teacher training colleges to the moths. How great of glorious old Fianna Fail to think of us. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Must have been a big sofa :P

The Taoiseach needs a lot of support. :D

If you think I am going to fall to my knees and thank Brian Cowen for gracing us with his presence you can think again.

The actions of this government have had a devastating effect on this country and will continue to do so for generations.

The recession has hit my family extremely hard, maybe you are one of the very few who haven't been affected. If so consider yourself lucky.

As for the Tara building. Yeah it is great and badly needed, not to mention LONG overdue. It is good to see OUR money going back into education instead of abandoning one of our leading teacher training colleges to the moths. How great of glorious old Fianna Fail to think of us. :rolleyes:

Not sure if I should get involved in an arguement but I'm going to anyhow. :)
    Yesterday was about the taoiseach of the country opening 2 new buildings in Mary I, not about the state of the economy.
    If we expect a little respect from Brian Cowen (as a lot of people said he wasn't giving us in that infamous RTE interview) then the least we can do is give him a little back.
    From an out and out blueshirt I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to give him that and actually felt glad that the event passed off so well. The MISU presentation was very dignified also from what I could see from the photos. Afterall that's what democracy is all about and I don't feel that took from the occasion.
    Never thought I'd be writing some words of support for Brian Cowen but as always when you meet someone it changes your perspective on them.
    Not enough to change my political colours I hasten to add. :D

And? It's in the ****ter, but Lenihan has done a fairly good job so far, and I seriously doubt ANYONE in the opposition would have done as well as him. That guy isn't getting anywhere NEAR enough credit.
    Who asked you to?
    So has pretty much every government, this is hardly the first time we've been left with crippling debt by poor governance.
    What's that got to do with anything?
    I see there's no point actually trying to debate economics or politics with you, you really are just whinging.

Actually having read Tragedy's latest post all I have to say is this.

Tragedy - This thread has been great to date and if you want to start an argument by insulting other posters here then I suggest you pick another target. People can disagree without resorting to childish insults.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Press photographers were taking photos also. Maybe MISU could enlighten us.

The women with BC with the 25 relates to the 25th anniversary of something that escapes me right now. It will be used around the launch of it, later in the year.

Actually having read Tragedy's latest post all I have to say is this.

Tragedy - This thread has been great to date and if you want to start an argument by insulting other posters here then I suggest you pick another target. People can disagree without resorting to childish insults.
    If you can quote me posting an insult even once, I'll apologise and never post in this thread again.

Of course you can't, because all I said was you were whinging.
    whinge (hwnj, wnj)
    intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es Chiefly British
    To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

Tough break man, tough break. Now, please stop whinging about Brian Cowen opening a new facility in his position as Taoiseach, and enjoy the new building.
    Is that really so much to ask?

The women with BC with the 25 relates to the 25th anniversary of something that escapes me right now. It will be used around the launch of it, later in the year.

Maybe MISU could have a competition for someone to come up with the wittiest slogan for the picture. First prize €1,000
    Well?

You know Tragedy I have been wondering why you come across a bit "different" in this thread, since everyone else here from Mary I are generally a chilled out friendly bunch.

But then again...

aren't you a TCD student and a member of
    Tragedy wrote: »
    DUAMS, Netsoc, SciFi, Ogra Fianna Fail, Politics, History, Hist, Judo & Comedy think that's it! Hope to stick with most of them.

LOL:D Explains it all really.

since everyone else here from Mary I are generally a chilled out friendly bunch.

Shucks I feel so emotional :eek:

You know Tragedy I have been wondering why you come across a bit "different" in this thread, since everyone else here from Mary I are generally a chilled out friendly bunch.

But then again...

aren't you a TCD student and a member of
    I never said I was a Mary I student? My Girlfriend is, and I've been around campus every week or two for the last 2 years. I was even in the new building first week of term.

LOL:D Explains it all really.
    Tragedy wrote:
    If you can quote me posting an insult even once, I'll apologise and never post in this thread again.

Of course you can't, because all I said was you were whinging.
    So you were lying, and instead decided to stalk my posts to try find something else?

I never insulted you, I told you to stop whinging and enjoy new facilities. You got all defensive, started posting crap about the recession, whined even more, and then instead of replying to my post told me I was childishly insulting people.

Are you a troll? You post like one.

I joined Ogra Fianna Fail to get reactions from people just like you. Personally, I think all political parties are pretty much the same thing, but I'm interested in politics, the TCD bunch are fairly relaxed and unashamed about it all, and I enjoy the red-rag reactions I get from ill-informed idiotic people who don't have the mental capacity to think things through from themselves and instead simply see green and start frothing at the mouth.

So thank you good sir, you've reaffirmed that my decision to join OgráFF was the right one.

• Advertisement

As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of the decor or architectural design, but compared to the rest of the college it's fantastic, and the new facilities offered inside it are wonderful and were much needed.
    Not many colleges, universities, schools or hospitals are getting new facilities at the moment - so when Mary I gets some, yes, I do expect people to be happy, excited and not whinge and be snide about it's opening.

Ron, you're a typical Irish begrudger who finds a way to be unhappy and complain about anything good that happens, and people like you are definitely the worst thing about this recession :pac:

Guys at this point I think ye'd be best to agree to disagree.

Brian Cowen was a key figure in the economic ruin of the country, but at the same time he is still the Taoiseach, and the opening of such a nice new building should be a happy event. I would have preferred if somebody else opened, even Calamity Coughlan, but it was him doing it. I wasn't particularly outraged, but I wasn't particularly thrilled either. The SU made their point re cuts in a civilised fashion, and didn't let the day go by with it unsaid.

Both of your viewpoints are valid, there is no right or wrong answer here.

Brian Cowen was a key figure in the economic ruin of the country, but at the same time he is still the Taoiseach, and the opening of such a nice new building should be a happy event. I would have preferred if somebody else opened, even Calamity Coughlan, but it was him doing it. I wasn't particularly outraged, but I wasn't particularly thrilled either. The SU made their point re cuts in a civilised fashion, and didn't let the day go by with it unsaid.

There is a right or wrong answer. Brian Cowen was there in his capacity as Taoiseach to open a new building in Mary I. No matter what you think of Brian Cowen, the recession, the economy, FF, whatever, that doesn't change in any way. He was there to open a new building. Regardless of what he's done, in his official capacity as a visitor to open up the new building, he deserved common courtesy and not people walking out on his speech, or whinging like RonMexico here.

Arguing anything else is wrong.
    Plain wrong.

The deserved common courtesy and not people walking out on his speech, or whinging like RonMexico here.
    Well as far as I'm aware everbody was very courteous on Friday. I wasn't there but I didn't hear of any egg throwing or heckling. RonMexico isn't whinging, he's just expressing his opinion.
    Arguing anything else is wrong.
    Plain wrong.
    Have to disagree with you there, just because somebody doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that their opinion is 'plain wrong'. Things are rarely that black or white.

Brian Cowen was made welcome at the opening, but at the same time student's dissatisfaction with present circumstances was made known to him. In my opinion that was the best way to go about it, but others are entitled to believe that that was over the top, or not enough of protest at his presence at the opening.

There is a right or wrong answer.

As Fr. Ted once said; I have to stop you there.

Brian Cowen was a key figure in the economic ruin of the country, but at the same time he is still the Taoiseach, and the opening of such a nice new building should be a happy event. The SU made their point re cuts in a civilised fashion, and didn't let the day go by with it unsaid.

No harm to have a little wisdom thrown in here. I was enjoying the little game of ping pong. I can see Ron's points and a lot of it I suspect comes from understandable anger which we are all feeling because of the economic state of the country. I don't think this thread is the place to debate such issues, there are plenty more threads here on boards and other websites.
    I made my points earlier and dambarude echoes my sentiments.

Anyway on this multi topic thread I'm looking forward to the X Factor. I think our own Mary from Ballyfermot or some such place is on bootcamp tonight.

Well as far as I'm aware everbody was very courteous on Friday. I wasn't there but I didn't hear of any egg throwing or heckling.

Indeed. I was there and everything passed off grand. :D

Are you a troll? You post like one.

I joined Ogra Fianna Fail to get reactions from people just like you... ill-informed idiotic people who don't have the mental capacity to think things through from themselves and instead simply see green and start frothing at the mouth.

So thank you good sir, you've reaffirmed that my decision to join OgráFF was the right one.

There isn't a big enough pot kettle black picture on the internet for this. Congratulations on illustrating the woeful attitude and general hypocrisy that is the defining trait of Fianna Fail. You sure joined the right society.

I've said all that I want in relation to this. If you want to continue with your Fianna Fail propaganda then feel free to post it on my profile wall instead of polluting the forum of a college you don't even attend. Just a suggestion. There is always the politics forum too.

I'm glad to see debate in this thread, it just shows how worthwhile it is having space for Mary I students to discuss Mary I issues. I'd prefer it it didn't get too nasty though:o.
    Anyway on this multi topic thread I'm looking forward to the X Factor. I think our own Mary from Ballyfermot or some such place is on bootcamp tonight.

Moving swiftly along is it?;)

I'm not much of a fan of X Factor tbh. That Mary one is like someone who walked off the set of Fair City, in a good way mind. Not in a 'change the channel please' way:pac:. I haven't watched it in a long time, I saw her on Youtube.

Well as far as I'm aware everbody was very courteous on Friday. I wasn't there but I didn't hear of any egg throwing or heckling.
    I'm told students walked out during his speech. Since no-one was forced to be at his speech, and in fact I think most people couldn't go(not that they'd want to), I think that's quite rude.
    RonMexico isn't whinging, he's just expressing his opinion.
    Frankly I thought it was an insult that Brian Cowen was invited at all, considering the state the country is in thanks to the disastrous policies pursued by his party.
    To me that's whinging.
    2525 is the number of qualified teachers that will graduate this year and will need to emigrate to find work.

Or maybe it is 25, as in the number of years it will take to crawl out of the hole that Fianna Fail have created for this economy. (it will actually be worse)

Or maybe it is 25billion. The sort of figure this government like to piss up against the wall.

Or maybe it is 2525, the year when the Irish people finally realise that Fianna Fail and other "pillars" are actually corrupt power mad criminals out to line their own pockets.
    To me, that's also whinging. If you disagree, that's fine, and neither of us are right or wrong. I just don't see the need for whinging about a good thing. One of few that are happening at the moment.
    Have to disagree with you there, just because somebody doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that their opinion is 'plain wrong'. Things are rarely that black or white.
    I never said all of what Ron said was plain wrong, I agree with a good bit of what he posted(but admittedly, not the majority). But arguing that a state official deserved less than courtesy and politeness is plain wrong. No different to arguing that any individual member of AGS doesn't deserve to be treated with courtesy and respect during the course of their work.
    Brian Cowen was made welcome at the opening, but at the same time student's dissatisfaction with present circumstances was made known to him. In my opinion that was the best way to go about it, but others are entitled to believe that that was over the top, or not enough of protest at his presence at the opening.
    I agree completely, and never posted to the contrary. I think it's good for Mary I students/SU to be politically active, we need far more people our age actually educated, interested and willing to do things about politics or things really never will change.

• Advertisement

She's an Irish version of Subo. It's her agus a léihead that makes this country such a great little country :D

Advertisement