Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Good idea from the SU on presenting Taoiseach with petition. I hope everybody signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Are there any new facilities for postgrads in the new building?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

dambarude wrote: »
    Good idea from the SU on presenting Taoiseach with petition. I hope everybody signs.

Agreed! S.U. is really on the ball this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Are there any new facilities for postgrads in the new building?

No. Although the rooms in Summerville are being "renovated".

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Just been thinking. 2 weeks ago I got my picture taken with President Mary Mc Aleese and President Peadar Cremin but I forgot about the most important president of them all President Mairead Collins who is doing such a trojan job on behalf of the students along with her sidekick Vice President Noel Byrne. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

Hi, does anyone know who I need to speak to about getting an exemption from modules in a subject I've already done in another course? Is it too late? Cheers!

sugajay wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know who I need to speak to about getting an exemption from modules in a subject I've already done in another course? Is it too late? Cheers!

I think there's a sign up about that on one of the noticeboards in the reception of the foundation building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

I signed that sucka like it ain't no thang.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

I think there's a sign up about that on one of the noticeboards in the reception of the foundation building.

Thanks, I'll have a look for it later on so

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

sugajay wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll have a look for it later on so

There is indeed a sign up in Main Reception and according to the sign, the forms had to be in by September 13th, but it's best to call into Student Services and see if you can still get an exemption. The sooner you do it, the more chance that you can get an exemption but wouldn't guarantee anything to you.

On another issue, photos have been put up on the site. We had a minor problem with flash but it has all been fixed and the pics are up from Orientation and Freshers'.

• Advertisement

On another issue, photos have been put up on the site. We had a minor problem with flash but it has all been fixed and the pics are up from Orientation and Freshers'.

Hey MISU just looked at the pics from orientation week. I know it's not yer fault but pity it takes so long to view pics. on that flash system. A bit of constructive criticism, maybe if ye got a few more people to pose for the camera it would be better. ;)

Does anybody else think that it is slightly disappointing that the official opening of the building didn't involve the students at all? (Well not really anyway, you needed an invite to see Mr Cowen himself today- not that I wanted to see him anyway, he's on the news often enough:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Howthe hell does that small gate work by the entrance to the foundation building?

Its never open when I need it?

Howthe hell does that small gate work by the entrance to the foundation building?

Its never open when I need it?

Don't you know the code for it?

Does anybody else think that it is slightly disappointing that the official opening of the building didn't involve the students at all? (Well not really anyway, you needed an invite to see Mr Cowen himself today- not that I wanted to see him anyway, he's on the news often enough:rolleyes:).

I see where you're coming from but two students did partake in the ceremony, and there were other students playing music for the event so there was some level of student participation.

The limited invites were as a result of the space available and the SU were given invites for any student to pick up if they wanted to attend. Other invites were given out at Union Council on Wednesday as well.

More would obviously have been available if there was more space.

In relation to the code for the side-gate, it shouldn't really be given out in open on boards, for obvious reasons, but if you pop in to the SU or ask at Main Reception, they will let you know the code.

I see where you're coming from but two students did partake in the ceremony, and there were other students playing music for the event so there was some level of student participation.

The limited invites were as a result of the space available and the SU were given invites for any student to pick up if they wanted to attend. Other invites were given out at Union Council on Wednesday as well.

More would obviously have been available if there was more space.

How did the letter presentation go? I understand there were space limitatations, were the festivities confined solely to the theatre?
    In relation to the code for the side-gate, it shouldn't really be given out in open on boards, for obvious reasons, but if you pop in to the SU or ask at Main Reception, they will let you know the code.
    Indeed. I don't see the point of that gate being closed during the day. At night time is a different story.

How did the letter presentation go? I understand there were space limitatations, were the festivities confined solely to the theatre?

Indeed. I don't see the point of that gate being closed during the day. At night time is a different story.

The ceremony was held in the Central Forum, and then on to the SU and then on to Tailteann.

The presentation of the letter & petition went well, we will have pictures following shortly.

He spoke to us briefly after he took the envelope so all in all, it went well.

The pictures have now been uploaded, thanks to one of our speedy Welfare Officers for that! They're on our site and on our Facebook page.

There was a great reaction from students to signing the petition, with over 1700 signatures, so well done to all!

Frankly I thought it was an insult that Brian Cowen was invited at all, considering the state the country is in thanks to the disastrous policies pursued by his party. The damage to the prospects of our generation and future generations is untold, with emigration likely to be the only option for many for decades to come.

The official ceremony should have been with Mary McAleese when she was there two weeks ago. Was it really necessary to have two ceremonies in the space of a fortnight when one would have been sufficient. I wonder how much money these two events cost.

Sorry for the rant but I am incredibly pissed off right now.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Frankly I thought it was an insult that Brian Cowen was invited at all, considering the state the country is in thanks to the disastrous policies pursued by his party. The damage to the prospects of our generation and future generations is untold, with emigration likely to be the only option for many for decades to come.

The official ceremony should have been with Mary McAleese when she was there two weeks ago. Was it really necessary to have two ceremonies in the space of a fortnight when one would have been sufficient. I wonder how much money these two events cost.
    This is something that I couldn't understand. Given the current circumstances I think Mary McAleese would have been much more appropriate. In another college I don't think that Cowen could have come for a photo opp without there being a more uncivilised protest than that of the SU presenting him with the petition. Not that I like protests, a lot of the time they are way over the top. I think that what the SU was a much better way of doing it. I realise that arrangements for the official opening had little to do with the SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

I heard it on the grapevine that a certain Dr. E. Wall is a fan of reading our Mary I thread. Students, MISU, staff... We definitely need our forum/sub-forum now!

• Advertisement

Yeah I am delighted that the SU gave him the petition. I thought the amount of signatures would have been a lot higher though.

RibenaHead wrote: »
    I heard it on the grapevine that a certain Dr. E. Wall is a fan of reading our Mary I thread. Students, MISU, staff... We definitely need our forum/sub-forum now!

If he is reading he should know that I really enjoy his lectures (and that I'd like an A1 in Ed Psych this semester:p).

I really need to get off this and go do some reasoning reading:o.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Yeah I am delighted that the SU gave him the petition. I thought the amount of signatures would have been a lot higher though.
    Ah to be fair that is over half the total student population, so it's good going if you ask me.

But what does it say about the other half of the student population?

Fair play to the SU for doing it and everyone who signed it but really I'd like to know why the rest didn't.

But what does it say about the other half of the student population?

Fair play to the SU for doing it and everyone who signed it but really I'd like to know why the rest didn't.

Well a substantial portion of the student population wouldn't even have been in the college this week. Third year B.Eds (roughly 400-450) were on Senior TP, many of them not in Limerick, and many that wouldn't have time to sign the petition. Third year BAs (roughly 200?) are on co-op. I'm guessing that a lot of the 3000 students are also postgrads (masters students for example) that are only in the college certain evenings, or at the weekend. The college may technically have around 3000 students, but they wouldn't all have been around this week to sign the petition. I didn't know that we were doing the petition until Wednesday, two days before it was due. The fact that class reps were given petitions for their class to sign would have increased the number of signatures (without this it would have been lower I'm sure).

Ah that makes sense alright, I forgot how many are off-campus atm.

RibenaHead wrote: »
    If he is reading he should know that I really enjoy his lectures (and that I'd like an A1 in Ed Psych this semester:p).

I really need to get off this and go do some reasoning reading:o.

And yes he was asking for you Dambarude also :D

The pictures have now been uploaded, thanks to one of our speedy Welfare Officers for that! They're on our site and on our Facebook page.

It seems the current welfare officer is carrying on a tradition started by a previous welfare officer on an alternative website. :D

Oh my heart bleeds for the poor man, after him just after opening our lovely new building and all. :(

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Hey MISU office dudes. I have to say, the pictures on the site are pretty bad quality. Are you sure you've uploaded the originals and not some sort of thumbnailed version?

PS: Sup E.Wall-ey? You should sign up an account :D

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Hey MISU office dudes. I have to say, the pictures on the site are pretty bad quality. Are you sure you've uploaded the originals and not some sort of thumbnailed version?

PS: Sup E.Wall-ey? You should sign up an account :D

Talking about pics. I have uploaded my pics from today to WTL.

Advertisement