Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA / JSB Waiting times Survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

eastbono wrote: »
    Jsb does come through more quickly than Jsa.. I have seen jsa closed because of people not producing the documentation requested or not turning up for appointments because they are on supplementary welfare allowance. Most of the time that claims are protracted is because the claimant does not produce documents requested from their local swlo or they have not produced documents to the social welfare inspector..people should note that any info requested from swlo has to be produced within 7 days and claimants are asked to sign a form stating they will have this info produced within 7 days it is the responsibility of the claimant to either phone their local swo or go in there to tell them they can not produce the documentation on time.

Yeah I can confirm this, was told the same thing when I was on JSA for a couple months and had to forward a letter from my University stating that I studies there for the last 4 years. The letter had to come from the UK so I was a couple days late sending it back in. I just rang and told them why it was delayed and everything was fine. I attached a note to the letter just make sure. So if you still waiting on documentation after 7 days make sure you ring them and explain this too them, otherwise your application will be put on hold and you will be waiting longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Isse79

To all who've been left waiting far too long.

I was left waiting 5 months to hear back from the dole office in regards to my jsa application. Out of frustration and desperation I wrote a letter of complaint which I also CC'd to two of my local TD's. It didn't even take a week before I got a phone call from the dole office with a personal apology from their supervisor and a confirmation that my money would be in my account within three days. And so it was.

Sometimes kicking up a bit of a stink will actually get things moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I have to agree with this and it was totally unacceptable that you were waiting for that period of time for your claim to be processed. Were you in contact with your sw office during this time? and if you were what were they telling you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Went into Apollo house, Tara Street on Wednesday, qualified for JSB, came back in on Friday with forms completed and was told to go to post office on Wednesday to collect first dole payment - 7 days from walking in until cash in hand. Shocked! :eek:

JSB seems straight forward.

JSA seems like a nightmare.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Went into Apollo house, Tara Street on Wednesday, qualified for JSB, came back in on Friday with forms completed and was told to go to post office on Wednesday to collect first dole payment - 7 days from walking in until cash in hand. Shocked! :eek:

JSB seems straight forward.

JSA seems like a nightmare.

Well JSA is a nightmare and there are a lot of jsa claims because people who were on jsb and now their benefit is exhausted are also being processed for jsa and people coming back from abroad also fall into the jsa category and if they are out of the country for any significant length of time they have to be issued with an habitual residence form as well and it just adds to the processing time..its a total nightmare and there is only such much x amount of people in an office can do working flat out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 saoirsebui

I applied for JSA just before Christmas, had my interview 14th Jan and got my first payment on 18th Feb. Not too bad really, I was expecting a longer wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I had my interview with the social welfare inspector this morning. I actually went into him. He was very nice and it was over and done with in 10mins.

I have been waiting since Oct 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Been waiting since May '10, had a social welfare inspector call around last wednesday. Anyone have any idea how long it'll take for them to get back to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CaseyBabes

Can understand JSA taking a bit longer, given that a means test might be necessary, but I've been waiting a month now to hear about a JSB claim. Just called my local office now and was told the claim is awaiting a decision and I should hear within the next 3 weeks??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fatsamsdisco

Applied for JSA on July 24, 2010. It was means tested. Had returned from a lengthy spell abroad, had to prove HRC. Got my payment thru after much difficulty on Dec. 22.....so 6 month wait.

I thought the following would benefit similar returned emigrants......

"To assist me if you are a Habitual Resident in the State, I would appreciate if you would forward evidence of the following:

1. Proof of travel to Ireland - flight confirmation details
    2. Proof of in employment in USA
    3. Proof of USA Social Security Number
    4. Proof of termination of employment in USA
    5. Proof of Residency in USA
    6. Proof of termination of residency in USA
    7. Proof of repatriation of personal possessions to Ireland
    8. Proof of closure of USA bank accounts & statements
    9. Proof of looking for work in Ireland since arrival in State
    10 Proof of address - tenancy agreement & ESB bill in your name dated in the last 3 months."

After I provided ALL of the above info, I got a further request for even more proof. It seemed to me that they were hoping you'd just give up. Hope the above helps out some boardies....I know @ the time I could find out very little as to what info they would be looking for when I initially applied. The CWO were unwilling to give me any money in the short term as they also wanted to prove HRC. They told me there would be a lengthy delay in processing the HRC. Only for family, I'd have been fooked.

Chao.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 scoobisnacks

Applied Sep 13th 2010

Finally got JSA 23rd February 2011

(in the interim as a family we had Supplementary Welfare Allowance)

Husband started job on 22nd February.

They have stopped JSA to do new means test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭CoolGirl101

Office: Wexford
    Time so far: A month, and still counting, which isn't much however I am expecting it to be way longer...

Applied Sep 13th 2010

Finally got JSA 23rd February 2011

(in the interim as a family we had Supplementary Welfare Allowance)

Husband started job on 22nd February.

They have stopped JSA to do new means test.

Go and re apply for supplementary welfare allowance... im surprised jsa was stopped usually there would be an overpayment and they would recoup it... really depends on the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Social Welfare Office: Apollo House, Tara Street
    Social Welfare Payment: Jobseekers Benefit
    First Visit to Welfare Office: Wed 2nd March
    Appointment with Officer: Fri 4th March
    Confirmation Letter with payment details received by post: Wed 9th March
    Cheque with first benefit payment received by post: Tues 15th March
    Weeks from Application to Payment: 1 week and a half

Very quick turnaround, I was impressed!

Applied tenth of Feb, and they told me this week it was only sent off on the 14th of this month.....wtf?
    So expecting it to be ages, FINALLY got some help from the CWO, at least that is something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 colin110

SW Office: Limerick
    Payment: JSA
    1st visit to SWO: 19th Oct
    Apointment at SWO: 28th Feb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!after many calls
    Recived letter from SWO: STILL WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 rentboy

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding a one off weekly welfare payment in advance. I have just got more bills to pay this week and typically it clashes with rent. Anyway, as I am freaking out a wee bit I am wondering if anybody knows if I can go down to my post office tomorrow, Friday the 25th March, to collect NEXT WEEKS payment? I ask as I am already in arrears with bills and bank letters are getting on top of me. I need to pop down to the post office first thing basically. I am going to ring them later but just thought I'd ask here.

Many Thanks,
    RB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I think that's something to call to the CWO in your welfare office for. I doubt people in the post office will be able to do anything for you.

Do you have a credit card? If so, use that and remember to pay it off next week when you do get your next payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ConfusedGuy92

I sent all my information etc. in on November 15th.

I called back on February 16th and was told nothing more than "Still pending."

It is now March 29th and I have still recieved no word 4 months later.

Is this normal and if not wtf do I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Johnstan

I sent all my information etc. in on November 15th.

I called back on February 16th and was told nothing more than "Still pending."

It is now March 29th and I have still recieved no word 4 months later.

Is this normal and if not wtf do I do?

Go to your Community Welfare Officer (CWO) and tell him exactly that. He'll give you a Supplementary Welfare Allowance which should equal JSA each week.
    If you're really lucky he may even backdate the payments, but don't rely on that, as long as you start getting money to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ConfusedGuy92

Johnstan wrote: »
    Go to your Community Welfare Officer (CWO) and tell him exactly that. He'll give you a Supplementary Welfare Allowance which should equal JSA each week.
    If you're really lucky he may even backdate the payments, but don't rely on that, as long as you start getting money to survive.

My other thread no feels useless :D.

Yeah I was told like an hour ago to the CWO (although I thought it was SWO lol). I think he is in tommorow which is pretty convinient. When I go will I need to bring any information or anything? I had a card in which I was told to bring to him but it expired on February 15th.

Also, I was told by other people previously on the JSA that your money backdates to the time that you applied for it, is this true?

Things are always more difficult for me lol, anyone else said they applied and like within two months they had the money and it backdated and everything, no issues. I guess that's why I'm ConfusedGuy and they are not lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lil-ms-vodka

Feb 2011 - Dublin 15 office
    Went in on a monday afternoon had my claim approved immediatley & collected my money that week, no issues at all

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

After waiting since October 09 I have finally been approved for JSA!!!! I had a means test about 5 weeks ago and I dropped into the SWO to ask about a letter I had received from the DO....They told me my claim had been approved! Very excited and very happy. I am working 3 days a week at the moment and I suppose that must have clinched the deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Hokuto

Applied for the Jobseekers Allowance in Blanchardstown SWO on 31/12/2010
    I went to the office on February 2011 to ask about my claim, they said that it was 'still pending'
    April 2011- still nothing and I was told to go to the office on a specific date to join the queue.

Why does it took them so long to process my claim? Should I go ring the office again to see what's the story with it? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sporting dogs

the best thing to do is to get in touch with your local TD.
    i was waiting months for my claim to be settled, got in touch with a local Blanchardstown TD and within 3 weeks my claim was settled

Applied on tenth of Feb
    Recieved actual JSA on 6th April, and got backdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Iv been waiting 2 months since applying in Cork City....

My savings are disappearing fast! Paying next months rent will be an issue:(!

What happens if you get a job and cancel your claim, do you still get the backpay from when you first opened your claim? Or just wave goodbye to savings?

Iv been waiting 2 months since applying in Cork City....

My savings are disappearing fast! Paying next months rent will be an issue:(!

What happens if you get a job and cancel your claim, do you still get the backpay from when you first opened your claim? Or just wave goodbye to savings?

Yes you should once you qualify. While you are waiting for your claim to be processed you can go to your community welfare officer and apply for supplementary welfare allowance. Any money you receive from the cwo will be paid back from your jobseekers claim when it comes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ahfeckted

gosh i have been lucky...my JB took an hour to sort out. they checked my credits and since they were sufficient , i was put on JB straight away. picked it up the next day.

JA (when credits ran out)took 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Social Welfare Office: meath
    Social Welfare Payment:waited 2 weeks for jsb now going onto jsa
    Application Date:may 4th may
    Date informed of means test appointment, if applicable*:
    Date of means test appointment:
    Weeks from Application to Payment:1 week

wow cant beleive how quick my payments went through
    waited 2 weeks for my jsb payment now my credits have run out so am going onto jsa
    my last payment was last wedensday feb 27the and iv been informed i will have a payment in the post office friday and every tuesday after that very quick

Advertisement