Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA / JSB Waiting times Survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭xtradel

Did a means test at the end of May before i finished up on Jsb at the end of June. Called in today and was told that it was approved yesterday and i will be only entitled to €47 a week because of my wifes earnings. I will be due to get €700+ back pay next tuesday.

On the plus side i'm starting my new full time job on the 1st November so i'll take my back pay and they can stick their €47 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

applied last thursday,collecting my first payment on friday.listowel office.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

I finally it very odd that people are still experiencing severe backlogs for processing their claims in welfare offices.

Hasn't the rate of unemployment leveled off in the past few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭CR 7

Been waiting since March 1st for JSA. About a month ago, I finally received a decision on my claim. Was denied payment because 'my means exceed the payment I would receive'.

I worked for maybe 10 days in total over the summer, and notified them once a week of the days I worked, and every month took in a letter from my work stating the total hours worked and total payment received.

From spending 30 seconds reading the letter, I figured out that the deciding officer had managed to calculate the most I ever earned in one week, for 4 out of the ten days which happened to all be in one week. Then he had said that I was earning that amount for every single week from March 1st until when I signed off, on September 14th or so.:mad::mad::mad:

This is even though they know I only started working in the middle of June, and didn't work any day in July.

I've sent the appeal form away to Dublin, (By registered post, knowing what they're like) and received a reply(probably only because it was registered) saying there's a big backlog, which I was expecting anyway.

There's only 2 possible explanations, (1) The deciding officer can't read english, or read at all or (2) It was done on purpose, in the hope I'd either not notice the mistake, or just give up, cos of how much hassle it'll involve. Either way the deciding officer in the Mallow office, dealing with this case must be incompetent.

Been waiting since March 1st for JSA. About a month ago, I finally received a decision on my claim. Was denied payment because 'my means exceed the payment I would receive'.

I worked for maybe 10 days in total over the summer, and notified them once a week of the days I worked, and every month took in a letter from my work stating the total hours worked and total payment received.

From spending 30 seconds reading the letter, I figured out that the deciding officer had managed to calculate the most I ever earned in one week, for 4 out of the ten days which happened to all be in one week. Then he had said that I was earning that amount for every single week from March 1st until when I signed off, on September 14th or so.:mad::mad::mad:

This is even though they know I only started working in the middle of June, and didn't work any day in July.

I've sent the appeal form away to Dublin, (By registered post, knowing what they're like) and received a reply(probably only because it was registered) saying there's a big backlog, which I was expecting anyway.

There's only 2 possible explanations, (1) The deciding officer can't read english, or read at all or (2) It was done on purpose, in the hope I'd either not notice the mistake, or just give up, cos of how much hassle it'll involve. Either way the deciding officer in the Mallow office, dealing with this case must be incompetent.

No DO is going to do something like that on purpose in the hope you wouldnt notice....thats a crazy accusation. Like why would they do that? People working in social welfare offices are normal people like yourself! They have nothing to gain by not paying you your allowance. Just more hassle as they will have to correct it if it is wrong.

And by sending your appeal to the appeals office you've just delayed everything. Why not just send it back to the DO and ask for it to be reviewed, expressing your concerns as to how your means were calculated. If the DO could see they calculated the means wrong, it would be fixed for you on the spot. Now it has to sit in the appeals office and then make its way back to the local office...delaying everything.

Also to answer a question asked earlier, unemployment has leveled out, but the delays are now caused by the huge numbers changing from jobseekers benefit to jobseekers allowance...which is means tested and therefore a bit more time consuming to process. Also dealing with the huge number of appeals (which are very time consuming) when you tell people their means are in excess.
    Also a lot of people are going on courses or temp/short term work, which involves them signing off and then a few months later they need to sign back on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No DO is going to do something like that on purpose in the hope you wouldnt notice....thats a crazy accusation. Like why would they do that? People working in social welfare offices are normal people like yourself! They have nothing to gain by not paying you your allowance. Just more hassle as they will have to correct it if it is wrong.

I suspect you are quite naive or perhaps have not being following this thread. Whilst i don't agree bad decisions are made deliberately, there are astonishing examples of complete incompetence at social welfare offices with quite unexplainable delays being faced by claimants. Its complete nonsense to suggest that cause of any delays are as a result of vast numbers going from JSB to JSB, in fact i would suggest these cases should be black and white. As for unemployment leveling off, this is very doubtful from evidence on the ground. The dept had ample warning and time to properly staff welfare offices and its ironic the new minister can now dedicate 600 new inspectors to fish out fraudulent claims. Its a mess all round.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Have been waiting for the past 8 weeks for JSA, just off the phone with the manager of the SWO, and Ive been told im not entitled to a penny, my means were over the limit . Absolutely disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Waiting 5 weeks for JSA, had a visit from the inspector yesterday, he said its straight forward enough and I should be hearing something in a few weeks. I'm pretty happy so far as this isn't long compared to '08/'09 when I had to wait 24 weeks before any word from the inspector, I complained and was told by the people in the office to ring the him and he did the means test over the phone:rolleyes: Waited 32 weeks altogether that time. Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

A friend of mine in Cork, Job Seekers Benefit, she was entitled to the full amount (€196) since she was working for the last few years here. She had all of her forms and papers when she went in, so no messing around. Applied Tuesday last week, interview last Friday. First payment was yesterday.

8 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

I find this hard to believe. There must be really exceptional circumstances if it this is true.

Is this really true?? You said you moved back from another country, is it waiting HRC or what? If it is, its hardly waiting since 2.5 years.
    Im in the same boat
    I applied for JSA on april 09 and march 2010 im gone to the sw office and told me they couldnt find anything
    I had to reapply for it
    one week later didnt get anything
    Put in an appeal should hear from it in july called them then would be october now it would be february before i will hear from them
    in the mean time got a letter from the HSE they want to stop SWA within 3 weeks
    Dont know what to do now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Johnstan

I went into the SWO, applied, and was told to bring in final docs. Did so the following week, and on the same day I got a supplementary welfare payment from my cwo (community welfare officer). My cwo who paid me the supplementary payment told me to collect following payments in the post office.

I'm not sure what it is I'm meant to be collecting, how much I'm getting (100, or backpaid 200?)
    Don't know anything about means testing, and am very confused. Have never been on JSA or JSB before...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Signed on october 21st and still no word. the community welfare officer is a complete nazi and wont help either. all kindsa screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

waiting 6 months for JSA now. Anytime i go in i get told the same thing "its with an officer and its being sorted through, go home and wait for a phonecall/letter".

have been get money from CWO the last few months, changed my address last week and post office. went to new post office today, no moneys, went to old post office no money there either >.< now i have to wait till next wed before i can get in touch with them. why do they only open 2 days a week!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

Wohoo! the woman from the SWO just rang and she is sending me a check in the next week. I know you all hate me now because i've finally gotten mine after 5 months, lol! At least now i can pay off some of my loan with it. Hope everyone else here gets sorted out soon too :)

just got this weeks money sorted with CWO,thats me happy now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sporting dogs

glad i logged onto this thread today.
    i have been waiting 4 months to get my job seekers allowance sorted , no luck yet. nice to read im not alone with this wait .
    what on earth are you meant to live off in the mean time tho, i have bills an bills mounting up here.

you should head to your community welfare officer, they'll help ya out with money until youre claim is sorted through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Due to sign up for JSB in a few weeks. Can I just saying this makes for depressing reading. What are people living on while they are waiting for approval?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sporting dogs

i tried my SWO at the start, she kept sending me to my accountant for different forms and letters. i now owe him money. last time i was in with her she wanted more letters from him, i cant afford to go back and ask him for anything

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Due to sign up for JSB in a few weeks. Can I just saying this makes for depressing reading. What are people living on while they are waiting for approval?

You can go to your local Community Welfare Officer while waiting for payment.
    However, a lot of offices are working on an appointment system at the moment - you go in on your first day of employment, if you have everything you need (i.e. P45, redundancy letter, ID, Proof of address etc), you are given the relevant forms and asked to come back on a particular day/time to make the claim. Then if it is a straight forward Jobseeker's Benefit, or straight forward repeat Jobseeker's Allowance some offices are able to pay these straight away depending on the circumstances.

A lot of the delays are people waiting for means tests and habitual residence condition decisions.

• Advertisement

5 weeks waiting, went to the local office today and the guy at the counter said it's highly unlikely i'll be seen by the inspector before christmas and to go to the CWO. She wont deal with me cos I cant get the letter from my brothers landlord she wants, hed be breaking his lease if he had me here officially. CWO doesnt care and wont help. Anyone got any ideas?

FML

For anyone 'waiting' you are to get supplementary welfare from your CWO. I did that and have not had a single unpaid week since going unemployed. You wont get any backpayments form the CWO, so for those saying 'what are we living on' etc, you will only be paid from the CWO from whenever you go see him/her. Your own loss for not seeing them earlier :(

My CWO wont help or pay me at all. Can I go down and tell her you said she has to pay me? ;)
    If you don't or can't jump through the bureaucratic hoops they set out, you won't get paid.

edit- i went down to the CWO the same day i signed on, same day i became unemployed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

If you are not happy with a CWO's decision, you can appeal to the Senior CWO.

Yeah i'm gonna go down again tomorrow and ask about that. thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mrjacko

i was made redundant from my job in june, was claiming my stamps and they ran out in october.
    i had my interview with the social welfare inspector on 1st of september to apply for the dole. she wants to come out to my house to interview me , is this normal ? im not hiding anything anyway so dont mind.
    but still no sign of my payment
    but i went to the CWO the end of october to get supplementary welfare until my payment came through..she approved me for it and i got 4 weekly payments..but i didnt get a cheque last week or this week, so i rang the CWO today as i thought my dole had come through, she gave me an earful down the phone, she was so rude to me , she has stopped my payment of supplementary welfare and told me to get social welfare to deal with it..i think she was mad because i was not home when she called to me and she accused me of working !!! i only wish i was working, i dont want to be on social welfare, i wouldnt be looking for it if i had my own money...i no have no income only €50 a week maintenance payment for my son, we are in a house that i cant afford the rent on and we have no oil in the tank to heat the house..what do i do now, the CWO is telling me to go to social welfare and social welfare is telling me to go to the CWO ??? i feel like i have no options now

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭hawthorne

See a Councilor or TD at once.
    Preferable from the oppostion parties.
    They might kick up a stink about it and you get your money very quickly.
    Secondly appeal to the CWO decision at the Social Welfare Appeals Office in writing.
    Unfortunately there are a lot SWO/CWO clerks out there who love to live out their neurotic aggressions on defenceless people. They are simply bullies and should not be at all in the position they are in now.
    Good luck!

Went down today and she was literally running around mental busy and didnt ask me for the letter from me brothers landlord and was very smiley, windswept from running and breathless busy and told me my money would be in the PO on wednesday next.

Will i get the back money though im wondering?

david75 wrote: »
    Went down today and she was literally running around mental busy and didnt ask me for the letter from me brothers landlord and was very smiley, windswept from running and breathless busy and told me my money would be in the PO on wednesday next.

Will i get the back money though im wondering?

I didn't :( Was expecting it but whatever, I'm not complaining as long as I can live now :)

To everyone else here having problems with the CWO...just the best of luck, Kicking up a fuss can help if it needs to be done...
    Happy xmas to you all and keep wrapped up over the winter. Oil is a ripoff, need to get gas in this backasswards town soon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mclaughlng

hawthorne wrote: »
    See a Councilor or TD at once.
    Preferable from the oppostion parties.
    They might kick up a stink about it and you get your money very quickly.
    Secondly appeal to the CWO decision at the Social Welfare Appeals Office in writing.
    Unfortunately there are a lot SWO/CWO clerks out there who love to live out their neurotic aggressions on defenceless people. They are simply bullies and should not be at all in the position they are in now.
    Good luck!
    Idid this three weeks ago. I was waiting from june, i explained my case and low and behold, on the Monday i got a aletter from the social telling me i have been wiped !!!
    Its getting near the time when we stand up and be counted, instead of being walked over by the idiots ruining our once great country.
    Problem is that most would not be bothered protesting.

Advertisement