Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA / JSB Waiting times Survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

I am still waiting!!!! I've been getting payments from the CWO since April and during this time they have closed my claim and re opened it.

I went down to the PO this morning and there was no money :( so I rang the SWO and they said I had to speak to the CWO about my payment which is grand but I have to wait until to tomorrow to find out why there's no money. My JA is pending so I have no idea why the CWO has stopped my payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

notsobusy wrote: »
    I am still waiting!!!! I've been getting payments from the CWO since April and during this time they have closed my claim and re opened it.

I went down to the PO this morning and there was no money :( so I rang the SWO and they said I had to speak to the CWO about my payment which is grand but I have to wait until to tomorrow to find out why there's no money. My JA is pending so I have no idea why the CWO has stopped my payment.

WTF? April, Jesus these waiting times show no sign of improving. Surely if the SW are saying your claim is pending, they would have had ample time to make a decision within seven months. I am also surprised the CWO is continuing payments as normally this is only a temporary measure. I suspect your payment this week may have been due to the weather situation, a lot of CWO are not making it to clinics and may not have processed weekly payments. Hopefully you will get it sorted out!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 if you think that's bad the original claim was opened Oct 09!!! That claim was closed in August and when I reopened the claim I had to fill out the Habitual Residence form which I didn't the first time round.
    I have appealed the first decision to close my claim and I am still waiting to hear back from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭Boxoffrogs

notsobusy wrote: »
    Dempo1 if you think that's bad the original claim was opened Oct 09!!! That claim was closed in August and when I reopened the claim I had to fill out the Habitual Residence form which I didn't the first time round.
    I have appealed the first decision to close my claim and I am still waiting to hear back from them.

notsobusy, It sounds like you've been patient up to now but perhaps it is time to go and see a local representative. I had two and a half years of dealings with the Social Welfare (claim made in April 08' and finally processed in October 10') but nothing worked until I got an official involved.

It can well be likened to banging your head against a brick wall at times.

• Advertisement

I got the CWO payment sorted out, just a mix up on their behalf. But all sorted and they were very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭hawthorne

Got my first JA last Friday- together with the back payment from the date I handed in my JA application forms. Three days waiting time were deducted from the sum.
    Waiting time was 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I'm waiting 7 months :( ive been in and out to the social welfare and the last time i got sent up to the part where they do the means test and where the deciding officer is. was told to go home and wait for a phonecall.... still waiting! surprise surprise! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 legsington

I'm 11 weeks waitin for JA in wexford, got a card in the post 3 weeks ago wonderin if i had worked in the mean time, haven't heard anything since...:confused:.... has this happened to any1 or am i likely to be waitin much longer??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Isse79

Applied for JA at end of July. Applied for BTEA at the start of September and went back to College at the end of Sept. Had a visit from a SW inspector in Oct and haven't heard a word since. Can't get my BTEA approved since it's pending the outcome of the JA which i only needed for a month = 5 month waiting and no money what so ever.

And today I paid the CWO officer a visit to ask for help and was told that since I'm back in full time education they cannot help me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭hawthorne

The Department of Social Protection has a very interesting customer charter on it's webpage:
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Policy/CorporatePublications/HowWeWork/Documents/cust_charter.pdf
    There are some infos given how to contact the department when things go wrong- like in many cases seen here under this thread.
    May be whoever has the problem with not being paid for months and months without end should make use of the e-mail given (qcs@welfare.ie) and complain about the intolerable situations.
    Sometimes the head does not know what the hands are doing. May be there are a few wake-up calls needed !
    On my dole receipt I get when I collect my benefit it is stated : I received the sum of xxx- to which I AM ENTITLED !
    I believe that everyone is entitled to his/her benefit like the minister and all the emplyees of the DSP are entitled to his/her pay as well.
    I wonder how they would react if their pay is withhold for months and months !
    Good luck to everyone !

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭steveLFC24

SW Office: Bishops Square (Dublin)
    Payment: Job Seekers Allowance
    Application Date: 18 October
    Payment: 3rd December

Was waiting a month for the SWO to come to my house then only 2 weeks after that got approved. Pretty lucky compared to some of the ones I read. Hope yee all get sorted before xmas :D

SW Office: Killbarrack (Dublin)
    Payment: Job Seekers Allowance
    1st visit to SWO: Tue 14th Dec (Got appointment for next day)
    Apointment at SWO: Wed 15 Dec
    Recived letter from SWO: Mon 20th Dec
    Payment: Tue 21st Dec.

So less than a week :eek:, quite shocked tbh.

I did however, print the application form, fill it in myself, had my P45 and a letter from my previous job stating the dates that i worked. (Was sure to get that when i finished my job)

So when i went to my appointment in the SWO, she pretty much had nothing to do, and they like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

SWO: Tara st
    Allowance type: JSA
    Received date: 23rd of December

Requested a move of jobseekers allowance from Cork to Dublin as I had a few interviews in Dublin and felt it would be better if I moved into my sisters place in Dublin.

Was told it took one week but it actually took 7 weeks after many phone calls and pressing the issue by taking employees names and dates it was soon resolved.

It seems they sat on it for a few weeks.

Was paid on the 23rd of December, not entirely sure when my next payment date is? In the New Year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 keraunas

Office: South West County Dublin.
    Type: JSB/JSA
    Applied: Early-Mid November

My situation..... Went into the office earlier this week to ask what the story was. I was told that the claim had been opened just before christmas. Other than that i would have to come back another day to see the CWO if I wanted to find out what the story is.

So, Its been approx 3 weeks since the claim was first looked at. Does anyone know if this sounds normal?:confused: How long does it normally take for a claim to be resolved once its been opened? Is the CWO still hungover from christmas?

Cheers Everyone!

keraunas wrote: »
    Office: South West County Dublin.
    Type: JSB/JSA
    Applied: Early-Mid November

My situation..... Went into the office earlier this week to ask what the story was. I was told that the claim had been opened just before Christmas. Other than that i would have to come back another day to see the CWO if I wanted to find out what the story is.

So, Its been approx 3 weeks since the claim was first looked at. Does anyone know if this sounds normal?:confused: How long does it normally take for a claim to be resolved once its been opened? Is the CWO still hungover from Christmas?

Cheers Everyone!

You don't specify whether your claiming JSA OR JSB? JSB would be pretty quick as its based on your PRSI Contributions so essentially if you have been in full time employment for 2 years it should be sorted automatically assuming you have furnished all documentation including P.45

JSA does require means testing and this can take a little longer including perhaps a visit from an inspector to your home to assess your circumstances.

You mention initially your waiting 10 weeks the three? i reckon in all, JSA would take a minimum of 5 wks and up to 10, in this situation you could apply for payment through your CWO at your local health center.

As explained, JSB is pretty much automatic but perhaps a few weeks processing.

All the above said, there are major delays evident depending what part of the country your living in although i would have assumed Dublin offices are well staffed!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 EDINBRO

West Cork

1st Visit: 26th of Oct

First payment: 14th of Jan

(11 Weeks)- Not acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 keraunas

Dempo1 wrote: »
    You don't specify whether your claiming JSA OR JSB? JSB would be pretty quick as its based on your PRSI Contributions so essentially if you have been in full time employment for 2 years it should be sorted automatically assuming you have furnished all documentation including P.45

JSA does require means testing and this can take a little longer including perhaps a visit from an inspector to your home to assess your circumstances.

You mention initially your waiting 10 weeks the three? i reckon in all, JSA would take a minimum of 5 wks and up to 10, in this situation you could apply for payment through your CWO at your local health center.

As explained, JSB is pretty much automatic but perhaps a few weeks processing.

All the above said, there are major delays evident depending what part of the country your living in although i would have assumed Dublin offices are well staffed!
    My apologies for not being clear.

I went into the SWO in early november. What I gathered from the girl at the desk is that first one applies for JSB following that one has the option to apply for JSA. I took the option to go for JSA. I completed all the forms for the means tests and handed all the required documents in the next day. (all this still in early november)

So, last week (mid january) i went back to the office because I had no contact from them for over 10 weeks. I was told that the file had been opened on christmas week but still have received no word.

If I want to find out I have to see the CWO. Is it worth the visit or does anyone think its will be resolved shortly anyway.

The basic question is....How long does it take for a CWO to decide on a case after its been looked at for the first time? You say 5- 10weeks?

I may have to go to the health centre...

Thanks Dempo.

The bureaucracy seems endless in every government department. As someone said before me.....Not Acceptable.

keraunas wrote: »
    My apologies for not being clear.

I went into the SWO in early november. What I gathered from the girl at the desk is that first one applies for JSB following that one has the option to apply for JSA. I took the option to go for JSA. I completed all the forms for the means tests and handed all the required documents in the next day. (all this still in early november)

So, last week (mid january) i went back to the office because I had no contact from them for over 10 weeks. I was told that the file had been opened on Christmas week but still have received no word.

If I want to find out I have to see the CWO. Is it worth the visit or does anyone think its will be resolved shortly anyway.

The basic question is....How long does it take for a CWO to decide on a case after its been looked at for the first time? You say 5- 10weeks?

I may have to go to the health centre...

Thanks Dempo.

The bureaucracy seems endless in every government department. As someone said before me.....Not Acceptable.

Now I am completely confused and you have been miss informed. Firstly you don't get a choice on what to claim, if you have worked full time for two years or more and have been laid off, you are entitled to JSB subject to the usual requirements. JSA is essentially applied for if you have not worked the sufficient amount of time to have paid PRSI contributions or if you have not worked at all, perhaps just left school, college etc. The only other proviso is when someone uses up their earned JSB claim (approx) 12 months unemployment, they then revert to JSA which is means tested.

Your JSB/JSA CLAIMS are assessed on PRSI Contributions not on the whim of SWO.

You are also perhaps confused about what a CWO is or does? The Community welfare officer is employed by the HSE and they facilitate emergency payments whilst Claimants await a decision on their JSB/JSA claims. They have discretion to assist or not, depending on your circumstances. Amongst other things they assess is Rent Allowance, Mortgage interest supplement etc. The CWO has immediate access to the SW systems and your claim will show up when they check your details. Please note the CWO does not make any decisions on your JSA/JSB claim and if they decide to pay you, it will be deducted from any arrears that build up while your claim is being processed. Please also note you need to find out when your local CWO has a clinic at your local Health center, they do not accept appointments and be prepared for a large Q. Also insure you bring ID, PPS number details, Proof of address etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Dempo1, that's not necessarily true. I was able to choose. My PRSI contributions entitled me to ~€150 a week with JSB. The girl who was processing my claim said that if I liked I could go for JSA, be means tested and I may be entitled to more, which turned out to be the case.

• Advertisement

Recon wrote: »
    Dempo1, that's not necessarily true. I was able to choose. My PRSI contributions entitled me to ~€150 a week with JSB. The girl who was processing my claim said that if I liked I could go for JSA, be means tested and I may be entitled to more, which turned out to be the case.

Yes agreed but I was responding to a very vague series of questions. I am unsure why you were just entitled to €150 on JSB, perhaps your circumstances were taken into account but i was under the impression JSB despite any circumstances was calculated at the maximum rate €196 per week albeit now reduced by the budget, this amount would be applicable for the period your contributions allow for same, i believe it can be 6/9/12 months whereby went the entitlement expires you revert to JSA which is means tested.

I remain confused about being offered an alternative between JSA and JSB on an initial or first claim.

In addition there was confusion as to the role the CWO plays in the process and i endeavored to clarify same!

I am no expert, just learned from my own experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Davexirl

You were told you'd only get €150 a week on jsb cos it goes off what you earned in 2009 if you made claim this year, or if you made claim in 2010 then it's what you earned in 2008. You didn't earn enough to get the €196 so they asked would you like to make a jsa claim so you might get the full whack.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yes agreed but I was responding to a very vague series of questions. I am unsure why you were just entitled to €150 on JSB, perhaps your circumstances were taken into account but i was under the impression JSB despite any circumstances was calculated at the maximum rate €196 per week albeit now reduced by the budget, this amount would be applicable for the period your contributions allow for same, i believe it can be 6/9/12 months whereby went the entitlement expires you revert to JSA which is means tested.

I remain confused about being offered an alternative between JSA and JSB on an initial or first claim.

In addition there was confusion as to the role the CWO plays in the process and i endeavored to clarify same!

I am no expert, just learned from my own experiences.

If your earnings in the relevant tax year were less than €300 a week, you are not entitled to the full rate of Jobseeker's Benefit - see http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx#Rates3
    If you do not qualify for the full rate of Benefit, you can opt for Optional Jobseeker's Allowance if you feel you will qualify for the full rate on that - it is the last question on the application form.

cee_jay wrote: »
    If your earnings in the relevant tax year were less than €300 a week, you are not entitled to the full rate of Jobseeker's Benefit - see http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx#Rates3
    If you do not qualify for the full rate of Benefit, you can opt for Optional Jobseeker's Allowance if you feel you will qualify for the full rate on that - it is the last question on the application form.

I stand humbly corrected and apologies for any wrong info! I was a novice when i signed on for the first time after 25 years working!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Ya that's basically it. I was working for a while in 2009 before going back to college after my contract was up. Finished last June and have been looking for work since. Had my third interview in the same place last Monday, pain in the ass with some of the bigger companies the way they do things...told it'll be a couple of weeks before hearing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

Applied for JSA on the 17th may, had means test on 18th june... still waiting! have been into my sw and questioned it several times. each go was told to go home and wait for a letter/phonecall! honestly i gave up going into them for a while, luckily the cwo has helped alot!

moved address in oct, changed addresses asap in the sw, yet on the 5th jan they sent a letter to my old address with an appointment time to see the inspector. luckily my old landlady contacted me about the letter this week, so was a week late for appointment. but rang and got an apology from them to say it was the sw inspectors fault, that the file was updated in oct, but the sw inspector never bothered to update her files :rolleyes: i was then told they'd be in contact with me soon. what a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Applied for JSA orginally in September but my claim was closed when I ended up being fecked about by employers and thought I was going to get a job, and didn't go back with the necessary documents. That happened a few times so I had to go up and re-open my claim on the 17th January.

I have less than a euro in my bank account and my mam isn't getting very much from her job, the girl behind the desk told me I would get details of my first payment in two weeks.

Just rang the SW Office in Maynooth and was told that it'd be "a few more weeks" and if I was desperate, to ring the CWO. No details or anything, just "yeah, that'll be a few more weeks. ok thanks bye!". :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

SW Office: Bray
    Payment: JSB
    1st visit to SWO: 10th Jan
    Apointment at SWO: 13th Jan
    Recived letter from SWO: Today!
    Payment: 17th Febuary

Just glad it's come through, i'm running out of savings!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Jsb does come through more quickly than Jsa.. I have seen jsa closed because of people not producing the documentation requested or not turning up for appointments because they are on supplementary welfare allowance. Most of the time that claims are protracted is because the claimant does not produce documents requested from their local swlo or they have not produced documents to the social welfare inspector..people should note that any info requested from swlo has to be produced within 7 days and claimants are asked to sign a form stating they will have this info produced within 7 days it is the responsibility of the claimant to either phone their local swo or go in there to tell them they can not produce the documentation on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

SW Office: Kilbarrack, Dublin
    Payment: JSB
    1st visit to SWO: Tuesday 15th February
    Apointment at SWO: Thursday 17th February
    Recived letter from SWO: Friday 18th February
    Payment: 23rd February

Advertisement