Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but was the turkey cold going in?

The turkey had been out of the fridge for a couple of hours before going in. I had a gravy tray underneath the rack with the turkey trimmings, veg and apple juice, also hot water. I'm wondering whether that cooled thing down.
    Was it raining ?? Rain plays havoc with the temps ive another bbq lid i sit over mine when its raining.

Light rain, I'd done a lamb shoulder on Tuesday and scotch eggs on Thursday in similar weather with no cooling problems.
    davegilly wrote: »
    Doesn't fill me with confidence - I have a 4KG bird to be collected tomorrow. I will be killed and I mean killed dead by the missus if I make a mess of it on Xmas day :) I have the gas bbq on standby in case of any major fukup

I think I will overload it with charcoal and get a good fire going and put the bird in at 400 and try and bring the temp down then rather than try and bring it up.

Did you add a few briquettes after an hour as well? How long did it take to cook? I was thinking about 2-2.5 hours so if I put it on at about 12.15 we should be ready to sit down for about 3pm - what do you think?

That's the plan for the next time, pile in the coals, have it scorching hot and then bring the temp down. I added more coals and some wood as I went.
    If I could have kept the temp around 325f I think 2 hours would be plenty. Good luck on the Christmas dindins.
    One more thing, have your carving knife as sharp as you can get it in case the skin isn't as forgiving as you'd like.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Half hour in and the temp is holding around the 375 mark with the bird at 92. It'll be done no problem in two hours I'd say.
    Enjoy!!

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Done!

Looks unreal, how did it taste?

longshanks wrote: »
    Looks unreal, how did it taste?

Great. I brined it the night before and used a bit of apple wood and it turned out perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

attachment.php?attachmentid=438016attachment.php?attachmentid=438017attachment.php?attachmentid=438018
    Cold smoked cheese, smoked for 26 hours, then vacumn packed with herbs.
    Should be good to test in about 3 weeks, first time trying it but a friend gave me some he did before xmas and it was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭budgemook

Cold smoked cheese, smoked for 26 hours, then vacumn packed with herbs.
    Should be good to test in about 3 weeks, first time trying it but a friend gave me some he did before xmas and it was unreal

Looks great. What's your method for getting the cold smoke going?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

I use a Pro Q cold smoker generator, for cheese,type of wood is not so important, i used all Alder for this. The Pro Q just needs a small candle to get the wood smouldering. For fish i use Alder, Beech and Apple mix.
    Im smoking this in a copy of Weber Smoky Mountain, but it can even be done in a cardboard box with this generator

I use a Pro Q cold smoker generator, for cheese,type of wood is not so important, i used all Alder for this. The Pro Q just needs a small candle to get the wood smouldering. For fish i use Alder, Beech and Apple mix.
    Im smoking this in a copy of Weber Smoky Mountain, but it can even be done in a cardboard box with this generator

Looks good, just watched some YouTube videos there. I even have some wood dust out there from a couple of years ago when I was smoking fish in a biscuit tin.

Are there any recommendations for portable bbqs? I have a Kamado Joe and would love a joe junior but cannot justify paying the price. There’s a nifty looking 30cm kettle on amazon with clamps that I’m eyeing up but thought I would ask here first.

Link - Karcher 124801 BBQ mini kettle barbeque, black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010NPMXR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2AOvAbVT6SE2K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

budgemook wrote: »
    Are there any recommendations for portable bbqs? I have a Kamado Joe and would love a joe junior but cannot justify paying the price. There’s a nifty looking 30cm kettle on amazon with clamps that I’m eyeing up but thought I would ask here first.

Link - Karcher 124801 BBQ mini kettle barbeque, black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B010NPMXR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2AOvAbVT6SE2K

Got one almost identical to that one in Woddies last year for around the same price. Dont know would they have them in stock now in the depths of winter though. They are quite good I though for the odd occasional camping trip etc

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

6hr cherry smoked pork belly on the WSM yesterday:)
    5M3YcdOfpfxQUNDg2K7cvzxRyb8EcZh2jeqKY9D7epok_hmnlZ4oYqljasUrSLg6dWHn1yXtZJ-pXQCLo2PqRYEUiBnpARHrInP4vTdNPbhafKdPWJe_H3C40HJQLyBfE8ZZ1w2b2A3CsrP62P5AhKJfCPXZMEP9G8U05XBnSnCmpFNlQ62fc3r29h5CbFVqt-hwg0K5wHAEXEw1vbNtEJN__0KhcskQ8qiYARpZ-hxQ2yO8zl-kVBLMKk-OA9R1oPg8GHkt0X-2Q7Pzu0wdkjbBqmnBoik4PvTO85_MW8HSePkn3v8FbeHObbwIbllKZbZ4-5goL6TPwkVWjA238hiERjmnfe03E93bguFM9NrsYphazRpQE8kpnWQi5zvcDKdK6t8ldMjd_Q5NKINoqm7Zk8s10annY780im7u6TzGkSOFdtfhZg3uCy9yyZVHtFYwHrhmkJjAb5-uOnk_nQ8RuA1PF0oWeRg0D89HcIacSLSVnQR8lalQBUWA1DYXk5H7Wn0VVnneJTtg6pN9BZoE8p-XN6H3O0E-apFCXLqaSIAVhZxluO-tvKFVIwTe5AAQIUX20pNu74tU1bDASLI7DlpOoyRLSyDx5ys=w847-h635-no

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

Shemale wrote: »
    Meant to say anyone looking for a kamado I cannot possible recommend this one enough, much cheaper than the big name brands, the Greenhouse People were great to deal with and they arranged pallet deliver to me in Dublin.

Word of warning, incase you get told delivery takes 24 hours that is for mainland UK, it took 48 to get to Dublin so make them check with the pallet company to be sure.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

I have cooked pork shoulder and brisket on it and it has been great so far, have done about 10 cooks on it. I have two half lamb legs in a kebab marinade which I will be throwing into the Goose on Stephens Day and will be using it for kebabs for me and lads before we go out on the lash. I will post pictures Stephens Day

I see that they are now having a sale!! Are you still happy with this? Did they charge much for delivery to Ireland?

I have searched the internet for reviews but can find very little.

Am tempted to buy when I compare to the big brand prices in Ireland..

All feedback is much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Could be of interest to some on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Cheapo wrote: »
    I see that they are now having a sale!! Are you still happy with this? Did they charge much for delivery to Ireland?

I have searched the internet for reviews but can find very little.

Am tempted to buy when I compare to the big brand prices in Ireland..

All feedback is much appreciated...

They seem to be the only stockists of it, it took a lot of finding. I think the delivery was £125 and arrived in 48 hours, it comes in a box on a pallet so very secure.

That sale has been on a good while, you get the trolley and two half moon heat deflectors, cracking price and I am really happy with it.

I use it every 2/3 weeks and the food is really good, have done pork shoulder, pork belly and brisket on it and all very nice. Holds the heat well too. Haven't tried really hot cooking on it so not sure about max temp but had to close the vents a bit as the pork belly was up to 280C

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up pulling the trigger and ordered yesterday. For £645 I got the following:
    [font=arial, sans-serif]1 x Wild Goose 18-Inch Kamado with cart [/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]2 x Wild Goose Chicken stand (seconds) [/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]1 x Wild Goose Pizza stone 15" [/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]1 x Wild Goose Standard 18inch Grill cover [/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Delivery was also included in that price and it also included an additional 10% discount.[/font]
    Am delighted with that deal..Looking forward to getting it on... thanks again for the heads up on it!

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up pulling the trigger and ordered yesterday. For £645 I got the following:
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Delivery was also included in that price and it also included an additional 10% discount.[/font]
    Am delighted with that deal..Looking forward to getting it on... thanks again for the heads up on it!

That's a great price - first Kamado? Are you much of a BBQ'er already? Looking forward to your experience with it and pictures!

budgemook wrote: »

That's a great price - first Kamado?  Are you much of a BBQ'er already?  Looking forward to your experience with it and pictures!
    Yes first Kamado and new to BBQ. Looking forward to getting started...Just one question - reading the online instructions it says that you need to use restaurant grade Charcoal - i am based in West Wicklow / Carlow area  I was just wondering if anyone knows of some places that might stock it? Also do i need to wood chips?
    thanks

Yes first Kamado and new to BBQ. Looking forward to getting started...Just one question - reading the online instructions it says that you need to use restaurant grade Charcoal - i am based in West Wicklow / Carlow area  I was just wondering if anyone knows of some places that might stock it? Also do i need to wood chips?
    thanks

I've gotten charcoal from woodfuel.ie who I get wood for my fire from too, not sure if they deliver out your way though.

Recently I bought a bag of big Green egg charcoal from Amazon and it was very good. Had to pick it up from parcel motel depot though as it was too big for the lockers. I got wood chunks from Amazon too - using wood and what wood to use varies per recipe and by your own preference.

The Kamado Joe YouTube channel is my favourite place for recipes, methods and tips.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

thanks

Welcome to the club.

• Advertisement

Great stuff, no bother, hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

I was told 24hr delivery but the pallet company can only do 48hr to here, I took a day off and got in touch at 3pm to be told its coming the following day. They were sound about it and gave me a few quid off.

thanks

I see woodfuel was mentioned, I had a look at their site but couldn't figure out how much you got for what price, I placed an order with them before and got 5 bags of regular size charcoal.

I got my charcoal from https://www.howbertandmays.ie/ they charged €25 plus €10 delivery for a 50L bag of restaurant grade, I ordered two for €60. They have two shops in South Dublin where you could collect either.

You don't need woodchips, the lumpwood gives a lovely smokey flavour, if you want to add a flavour them you should probably get lumps of flavoured wood, the chips blast out smoke for a small while and then you to refill.

It's much better if you don't open the egg once you are cooking too as you don't want the temperature to fluctuate, there are some nice remote thermometres you can get with two probes and you can use one for the meat and one for the egg temperature so you don't have to leave the house until it's time to get the lovely food :D

Shemale wrote: »
    they charged €25 plus €10 delivery for a 50L bag of restaurant grade, I ordered two for €60.
    Do you mean Kg? €25 for a 50Kg bag is a great price.

I find it better to ring woodfuel. They've stopped taking orders for a lot of stuff on their site for some reason.

Finally got it set up!! Cooked chickens, wings and the best homemade steak ever!! Serious peice of kit!!

Chicken and steak was so juicy and the wings were really crispy on the outside but tender on the inside!!

I’m now addicted to watching YouTube videos with recipes!!

Might try a small ham roast tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Always cook your chicken to 65c. It's the only way

RasTa wrote: »
    Always cook your chicken to 65c. It's the only way

Yes I added a few degrees onto that as I wanted to make sure as it was my first time using it and the kids were also going to eat it!!

That is one clean BBQ! :D

Cooked up some tomahawk rib eyes myself, two 3 inch thick cuts of rib eye with a coffee, salt, black pepper and sugar rub. Smoked first at 250 until rare and then seared over direct heat to finish it off. Left it resting in between a little long so it came out medium well I'd say but being rib eye, it didn't matter too much.

That is one clean BBQ! :D

Cooked up some tomahawk rib eyes myself, two 3 inch thick cuts of rib eye with a coffee, salt, black pepper and sugar rub. Smoked first at 250 until rare and then seared over direct heat to finish it off. Left it resting in between a little long so it came out medium well I'd say but being rib eye, it didn't matter too much.

• Advertisement

Do you mean Kg? €25 for a 50Kg bag is a great price.

Says 50L on the bag which is the volume of the bag, not sure about weight.

Advertisement