Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

davegilly wrote: »
    Anyone bbq'ing the turkey for Christmas? I'm going to use the Weber 57cm kettle. Looking at an 8-10lb bird so hoping for about 2.5 hours at 300-350 - sound about right?
    How often should I add coal do you think? Going to use the briquette holders and just top them up every now and then.

I'm thinking of trying one either this weekend or next. I've watched a couple of YouTube videos and I have my bible (Meathead), so if I get one done I'll report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Did my turkey on the WSM last year and it was well received. Needed to butcher it to fit, rubbed and smoked with cherry wood. Was only a small one so didn't take too long. Meat was succulent and the smoke flavour just boosted what is quite a bland meat.Made a white Alabama sauce to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

I've smoked the turkey most years.. Can't recommend it enough.. Once you brine it you can smoke a decent sized turkey in three hours.. Google amazing ribs ultimate turkey.. I've used his method every time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

I'm bringing the KJ down home this year and we're going with the smoked turkey. Everyone is a bit nervous as nobody has had it before like that!

I have my method picked (although will check out what amazing ribs say) - brine it, inject it, smoke it with a very small bit of mild wood - but the only thing I'm not sure about is what brining will do to it. Does it make it salty, or is it just to tenderise it?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Anyone use Cookout Charcoal Briquettes before? As good as or similar to Weber? Can't find any charcoal locally at the minute but I can get the Cookout stuff if it was ok. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Anyone use Cookout Charcoal Briquettes before? As good as or similar to Weber? Can't find any charcoal locally at the minute but I can get the Cookout stuff if it was ok. Thanks
    Drives me nuts that charcoal is considered seasonal in Ireland.  Online seems like best option to get charcoal when it is not summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Brazilian shops are a steady supply of lumpwood charcoal throughout the year.

OldBean wrote: »
    Brazilian shops are a steady supply of lumpwood charcoal throughout the year.
    Do you know of any in the Dublin/Kildare area?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

How much are you looking for?
    Have about 200 bags.

niallam wrote: »
    How much are you looking for?
    Have about 200 bags.

LOL. 2 or 3 bags will get me through the winter! Where are you based? What size and how much?

• Advertisement

LOL. 2 or 3 bags will get me through the winter! Where are you based? What size and how much?

Ashbourne or Newbridge
    They’re 2.5kg bags, Polish lump wood.

3 bags for €10?

Ah ok, they're a little smaller.
    How about 10 for €30 and I will collect in Newbridge from you?
    I presume it's reasonably good stuff and not half dust half lump like the ****e in B&Q etc?

Ah ok, they're a little smaller.
    How about 10 for €30 and I will collect in Newbridge from you?
    I presume it's reasonably good stuff and not half dust half lump like the ****e in B&Q etc?

I only burn wood myself but have sold 200 bags of this stuff in the last 3 weeks and no complaints :)
    Think this stuff is usually €6.50 in the Polish shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

There's two on Capel St that sell it which are closest to me, but you're not going to beat Niallam's offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

budgemook wrote: »
    I'm bringing the KJ down home this year and we're going with the smoked turkey. Everyone is a bit nervous as nobody has had it before like that!

I have my method picked (although will check out what amazing ribs say) - brine it, inject it, smoke it with a very small bit of mild wood - but the only thing I'm not sure about is what brining will do to it. Does it make it salty, or is it just to tenderise it?

I wet brine for 24 hours then leave air dry in the fridge for 24 hours.. Mines not turned out salty just juicy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

I wet brine for 24 hours then leave air dry in the fridge for 24 hours.. Mines not turned out salty just juicy

I was not planning on the air drying - yeah I'll do that.

niallam wrote: »
    I only burn wood myself but have sold 200 bags of this stuff in the last 3 weeks and no complaints :)
    Think this stuff is usually €6.50 in the Polish shops.
    Grand job. Where in Newbridge are you - do you want to PM your details to me and I will collect 10 bags from you if thats ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Anyone having trouble lighting coals in this weather? I’ve a bag of coals that’s been open since September but kept in a shed that’s twice failed to light in the Joe for me.

Last weekend I tried a Looftligher which worked well but 20/30 minutes later the coals went out.

Damp charcoal maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Belfunk wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble lighting coals in this weather? I’ve a bag of coals that’s been open since September but kept in a shed that’s twice failed to light in the Joe for me.

Last weekend I tried a Looftligher which worked well but 20/30 minutes later the coals went out.

Damp charcoal maybe?

I lit my egg around 8:30 this morning and it's still going strong, took a lot longer to get up to temp but thats cause only mentalers go outside to cook on days like this :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Saw a butterflied turkey in Kildare farm foods on Saturday. If I hadn't already ordered in the butcher, I'd be doing it on the Joe. I'm doing the ham on Joe this year, but will do it in a slow cooker with coke next year.

• Advertisement

Belfunk wrote: »

Damp charcoal maybe?

I have been recently using a small butane blow torch to start mine and I always use a chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I have been recently using a small butane blow torch to start mine and I always use a chimney.

I’ll dig out the chimney this weekend and give it a go.

perfectly cooked aged rib roast on Big Green Egg.

ZZ8k9u8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I did a 4kg toikey on the Weber kettle yesterday. Didn't quite go to plan. Had the kettle blipping along at about 330f but when I put in the gravy tray and bird in I couldn't get the heat back up to that temp. Vents were fully open but the highest temp I got to was about 280f, and that started to drop.
    Got another chimney lit and added that but still no joy. It was the first toikey I've done on the barbie, it tasted ok, the skin was a bit tough instead of crispy, but the meat was nice and juicy.
    Still, as an experiment it was only a half success. I'll give another one a go but I'm gonna use a ton of coals and see if that helps keep the temp up.
    Oh yeah, I had a smoked turkey omelette this morning that I'm calling a nom nomelette, cos it was forking delish.
    Happy Christmas bbqers xx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

longshanks wrote: »
    I did a 4kg toikey on the Weber kettle yesterday. Didn't quite go to plan. Had the kettle blipping along at about 330f but when I put in the gravy tray and bird in I couldn't get the heat back up to that temp. Vents were fully open but the highest temp I got to was about 280f, and that started to drop.
    Got another chimney lit and added that but still no joy. It was the first toikey I've done on the barbie, it tasted ok, the skin was a bit tough instead of crispy, but the meat was nice and juicy.
    Still, as an experiment it was only a half success. I'll give another one a go but I'm gonna use a ton of coals and see if that helps keep the temp up.
    Oh yeah, I had a smoked turkey omelette this morning that I'm calling a nom nomelette, cos it was forking delish.

Probably a stupid question but was the turkey cold going in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

longshanks wrote:
    I did a 4kg toikey on the Weber kettle yesterday. Didn't quite go to plan. Had the kettle blipping along at about 330f but when I put in the gravy tray and bird in I couldn't get the heat back up to that temp. Vents were fully open but the highest temp I got to was about 280f, and that started to drop. Got another chimney lit and added that but still no joy. It was the first toikey I've done on the barbie, it tasted ok, the skin was a bit tough instead of crispy, but the meat was nice and juicy. Still, as an experiment it was only a half success. I'll give another one a go but I'm gonna use a ton of coals and see if that helps keep the temp up. Oh yeah, I had a smoked turkey omelette this morning that I'm calling a nom nomelette, cos it was forking delish. Happy Christmas bbqers xx

longshanks wrote:
    I did a 4kg toikey on the Weber kettle yesterday. Didn't quite go to plan. Had the kettle blipping along at about 330f but when I put in the gravy tray and bird in I couldn't get the heat back up to that temp. Vents were fully open but the highest temp I got to was about 280f, and that started to drop. Got another chimney lit and added that but still no joy. It was the first toikey I've done on the barbie, it tasted ok, the skin was a bit tough instead of crispy, but the meat was nice and juicy. Still, as an experiment it was only a half success. I'll give another one a go but I'm gonna use a ton of coals and see if that helps keep the temp up. Oh yeah, I had a smoked turkey omelette this morning that I'm calling a nom nomelette, cos it was forking delish. Happy Christmas bbqers xx

longshanks wrote:

longshanks wrote:

Was it raining ?? Rain plays havoc with the temps ive another bbq lid i sit over mine when its raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

You had 4 turkeys in, that's the issue. :D

Cooked on myself on the kettle rotisserie thursday evening, overcooked it a tad as i assumed 2.5hrs and had to go out for a while, 2 would have been fine id say. 4KG also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

oleras wrote:
    You had 4 turkeys in, that's the issue.

That was my mistake dont know what happened :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Meant to say anyone looking for a kamado I cannot possible recommend this one enough, much cheaper than the big name brands, the Greenhouse People were great to deal with and they arranged pallet deliver to me in Dublin.

Word of warning, incase you get told delivery takes 24 hours that is for mainland UK, it took 48 to get to Dublin so make them check with the pallet company to be sure.

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/6942/18-inch-freestanding-kamado-grill/

I have cooked pork shoulder and brisket on it and it has been great so far, have done about 10 cooks on it. I have two half lamb legs in a kebab marinade which I will be throwing into the Goose on Stephens Day and will be using it for kebabs for me and lads before we go out on the lash. I will post pictures Stephens Day

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »

Doesn't fill me with confidence - I have a 4KG bird to be collected tomorrow. I will be killed and I mean killed dead by the missus if I make a mess of it on Xmas day :) I have the gas bbq on standby in case of any major fukup

I think I will overload it with charcoal and get a good fire going and put the bird in at 400 and try and bring the temp down then rather than try and bring it up.

Did you add a few briquettes after an hour as well? How long did it take to cook? I was thinking about 2-2.5 hours so if I put it on at about 12.15 we should be ready to sit down for about 3pm - what do you think?

Advertisement