Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

Shemale wrote: »
    Is that Saltpeter or something else?

From what I gather, saltpeter is potassium nitrate and curing salt is sodium nitrite, so they are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shemale wrote: »
    Is that Saltpeter or something else?

Not sure if it is but I am pretty sure saltpeter will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

budgemook wrote: »
    From what I gather, saltpeter is potassium nitrate and curing salt is sodium nitrite, so they are different.

Thanks, I had used Saltpeter in brine for brisket, Tom Kerridge book.

Does anyone have a ceramic kamado other than Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe and if so how does it perform, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

RasTa wrote: »
    That looks lovely. Would love to try this

Omg! That roll at the end. Looks amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Omg! That roll at the end. Looks amazing!

Yeah the crackling too. Why couldn't the French, Italians or Spanish ruled us!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Popped into Johnstown Garden Center there, to see what prices the remaining gas bbq's were. Spotted a Webber 2200, with a rotisserie on it. Sold as seen, 375. When I enquire, the rotisserie was an extra 200. Feck sake.

Nice little Char Broil patio bistro beside it for 200. It'd be big enough to for burgers and sausages, am I right?

My Westpoint 2 burner is kinda on the blink, flame not coming out efficiently. I don't need 2 burners, it's a bit big. Stays out over the winter, where as the other one would fit nicely in the shed. Could fit in the foot too, if we went out for the day.

And I looking for excuses not to buy it, or am I talking sense?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

beertons wrote: »
    Popped into Johnstown Garden Center there, to see what prices the remaining gas bbq's were. Spotted a Webber 2200, with a rotisserie on it. Sold as seen, 375. When I enquire, the rotisserie was an extra 200. Feck sake.

Nice little Char Broil patio bistro beside it for 200. It'd be big enough to for burgers and sausages, am I right?

My Westpoint 2 burner is kinda on the blink, flame not coming out efficiently. I don't need 2 burners, it's a bit big. Stays out over the winter, where as the other one would fit nicely in the shed. Could fit in the foot too, if we went out for the day.

And I looking for excuses not to buy it, or am I talking sense?

That might just be clogged Venturi tubes on the burner , give them a clean..

Having said that , the CharBroil would be spot on for your needs.

Bought it. 200, and 40 for the cover. They had no red ones in stock, so wheeled out the floor model. Will look the part beside Joe. So my 4 year old said anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Any good deals on charcoal going anywhere at the minute? Tried the orchard in Celbridge but all the weber charcoal is same price as always :(

The stuff in woodies is just glorified dust unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

The stuff in woodies is sh*te.

The big bags (green egg brand or Baltic brand) from A Room Outside or whatever it's called in Glasthule is twenty something quid, but good quality. I find the Baltic wood fires a bit faster and a bit hotter than the green egg, which I find great.

It's worth popping in to Brazilian shops as well, I've picked up some pretty good lump wood charcoal in them for a fiver a bag when stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

davegilly wrote: »
    Any good deals on charcoal going anywhere at the minute? Tried the orchard in Celbridge but all the weber charcoal is same price as always :(

The stuff in woodies is just glorified dust unfortunately

The Weber stuff is worth the money for low and slow.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The large bags of charcoal from Musgraves is supposed to be really good and great value. I know a restaurant that uses and swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

Brian? wrote: »
    The Weber stuff is worth the money for low and slow.

We might have discussed this before, but do the weber briquettes have a chemical binding agent? I've used them a few times since it last came up and I am fairly happy with them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

budgemook wrote: »
    We might have discussed this before, but do the weber briquettes have a chemical binding agent? I've used them a few times since it last came up and I am fairly happy with them.

I don't think they do. It's compressed charcoal as far as I know. I've been using them exclusively for the last couple of years for my smoking.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

BailMeOut wrote: »
    The large bags of charcoal from Musgraves is supposed to be really good and great value. I know a restaurant that uses and swears by it.
    Cheers. Where is Musgrave's, do you have a link?

davegilly wrote: »
    Cheers. Where is Musgrave's, do you have a link?

Musgraves is 'cash and carry' and only accessible to retail business so if you know someone who owns a shop or restaurant they can pick you up a bag.

https://www.musgravemarketplace.ie/store-locator

Missed the boat last Monday. Wasn't going to be fooled today.

431240.jpg[\img]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

beertons wrote: »
    Missed the boat last Monday. Wasn't going to be fooled today.

431240.jpg[\img]

Can't view that link.

Voila

431276.jpg[\img]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

^^^ Decent lump o meat chief.

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »
    ^^^ Decent lump o meat chief.

3lbs. With a bit of luck, I'll get sambo's till Wednesday night. I'm hopeless at slicing meat though, some of the cuts are a bit big.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Brisket, got good smoke ring tasted very good best so far

attachment.php?attachmentid=431357

Got the broil king patio bbq out today, for a feed of sausages and burgers today. Great idea with the infra red plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Something a little different cold smoked salmon, smoked for 26 hours
    attachment.php?attachmentid=431849attachment.php?attachmentid=431850attachment.php?attachmentid=431851attachment.php?attachmentid=431852attachment.php?attachmentid=431853

Cured fish in salt for 12 hours first, not so much salt, then rinsed it off, let it dry for few hours and then started the smoking. Just took it off about an hour ago and am letting it rest few hours then going to vacuum pack it, a freind here in Finland says for the first few days it has a bitter taste soits better after 2 days so then we should be good to go

Didn't think I'd be back here so soon. Got home from work early, and said it'd be torturous if the people who were calling for the polka, were salivating with the smell of bbq wafting over the gates. Not many called, but I still have 2 racks of ribs to nibble on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

Just discovered this thread and before reading all of it, wondering if anyone can recommend the best places to get a kamado grill or where they got theirs? Hoping I might come across a good deal this weekend. Thanks.

Just discovered this thread and before reading all of it, wondering if anyone can recommend the best places to get a kamado grill or where they got theirs? Hoping I might come across a good deal this weekend. Thanks.

these folks "Aroomoutside " are excellent. Very happy with price, service and delivery I got from them.

info@aroomoutside.ie

https://aroomoutside.ie/product/large-big-green-egg-in-a-nest-with-a-handler/

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FollowMyWay

BailMeOut wrote: »
    these folks "Aroomoutside " are excellent. Very happy with price, service and delivery I got from them.

info@aroomoutside.ie

https://aroomoutside.ie/product/large-big-green-egg-in-a-nest-with-a-handler/

Thanks for that. Why is the large egg with a handler so much cheaper than one without? Am I missing something obvious, is that just the price of the handler maybe? :confused:

Thanks for that. Why is the large egg with a handler so much cheaper than one without? Am I missing something obvious, is that just the price of the handler maybe? :confused:

where are you seeing the price? I got mine for €1,260 which included large Big Green in a nest with handler as well as grill gripper, ashtool, snuffer cap, firestarts and a bag of charcoal. Assembly and delivery is about €70 although they waived that for me as well.

• Advertisement

Anyone bbq'ing the turkey for Christmas? I'm going to use the Weber 57cm kettle. Looking at an 8-10lb bird so hoping for about 2.5 hours at 300-350 - sound about right?
    How often should I add coal do you think? Going to use the briquette holders and just top them up every now and then.

Advertisement