Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Started around 6.5 lb
    And that porchetta is on the to do list now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

So my brisket might take 6 hours or 10 hours. Great!

Oh, maybe salting it reduced the cooking time actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leesaunders

How's things lads, putting together a DIY UDS. Stuck on what to use for the fire basket, anyone made one from scratch? What did you use for the basket or did you buy one? Any suggestions/help welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 leesaunders

SmallBalls wrote: »
    4bzo3
    Is that a paint tin?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

How's things lads, putting together a DIY UDS. Stuck on what to use for the fire basket, anyone made one from scratch? What did you use for the basket or did you buy one? Any suggestions/help welcome.

http://imgur.com/a/4bzo3

Sorry don't know what happened to the other post.....Yeah it's an old lacquer can, burned out, seasoned with some oil to stop rusting and a Weber charcoal grate.

Works a treat, 8-12hours cooking easily.

Also, loads of great info from this Facebook group... https://www.facebook.com/groups/250471182623/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I have just discovered this brilliant thread and am only halfway. Does anyone have a Bradley smoker, they seem to use a stack of smoke discs which seems handy.

I had a cheap smoker that couldnt keep the temp so I got rid and have been using a gas bbq with a smoker box but its not as good as a proper smoker.

I am 40 in March so may be allowed to shell out on a decent smoker or possibly build a brick one, have seen all positives on Weber Smokey, BGE and Kamobo but the Bradley looks to have huge capacity, thoughts would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Woodies are selling off their BBQ display models, I picked up a Weber Master Touch for half price earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Anywhere likely to be selling off BBQs for end of season soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭yummymummyjay

Anywhere likely to be selling off BBQs for end of season soon?

Looking for the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Dwyers in Cork were selling off their large Berghoff BBQs for EUR750 this time last year which is a very decent egg especially at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I don't get much time to cook on coals (gas is the handier option at the mo), but I wanted to get something small for the odd occasion I get to cook on coals. Anyway, was looking out for a smoky joe, but found a small rectangular one in Lidl this evening. €14, so I can't really lose. Small enough to throw in the boot for a picnic, will be happy if I get a summer out of it next year...

Brian? wrote: »
    Deadly. Good luck with it.

What's the story with the tennis ball?

So he knows where he parked it :D

Does anyone know where I would get pink salt for curing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

budgemook wrote: »

Why do you need pink salt?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Why do you need pink salt?

Makin bacon

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Made Porchetta on my big green egg over weekend. Very happy with the results. Have been making it in oven or on bbq over the last few years but the crackling this time was the best ever.
    427618.JPG
    427619.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Eurasia up beside Liffey Valley have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You probably know this already but the Himalayan pink salt is not what you need.

I got pickling salt from my local friendly butcher. Depending on how much you are doing, you probably only need a pinch.

Find a butcher that cures their own pork and ask nicely for a tiny bit of curing salt.

surball wrote: »
    Made Porchetta on my big green egg over weekend. Very happy with the results. Have been making it in oven or on bbq over the last few years but the crackling this time was the best ever.
    [/img]

Looks savage. What pork cut(s) did you use?
    You probably know this already but the Himalayan pink salt is not what you need.

I got pickling salt from my local friendly butcher. Depending on how much you are doing, you probably only need a pinch.

Find a butcher that cures their own pork and ask nicely for a tiny bit of curing salt.

Yeah, it's the curing salt I am after. Asking the butcher makes a lot of sense :)

I used the belly with loin still attached. Here is the full piece that I purchased originally. It's pretty large. I cooked one half back in April and the other half I froze after filling, rolling and tying up. 

427638.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I used the belly with loin still attached. Here is the full piece that I purchased originally. It's pretty large. I cooked one half back in April and the other half I froze after filling, rolling and tying up. 

427638.JPG

Definitely going to give this a go. Have you tried taking he skin off and making the crackling separately? It would allow better smoke penetration as well.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

<picture snipped>

Definitely going to give this a go. Have you tried taking he skin off and making the crackling separately? It would allow better smoke penetration as well.

Previously when the crackling was not quite there and the meat was cooked I have removed the skin and cooked it for longer.

<picture snipped>

I have not tried that specifically Brian?. But previously when the crackling was not quite there and the meat was cooked I have removed the skin and cooked it for longer to crisp up. Also worth noting that I have made cuts at 5mm intervals through the surface of the skin which makes it easier to carve but in a roundabout way allows smoke to penetrate.
    One last photo showing the stuffing I used. Sage, Rosemary, garlic, fennel seeds, chilli flakes, salt, pepper, lemon zest.
    427649.JPG

Porchetta is definitely next on the list after bacon.

Did you have any trouble getting the loin left on the belly?

Porchetta is definitely next on the list after bacon.

Did you have any trouble getting the loin left on the belly?
    I would say any butcher will do it for you if you order in advance. This is the first time I have gotten it all as one piece. Before I have either used the loin or fillet of pork separately and the rolled it all up.
    I got mine from The Whole Hoggs https://twitter.com/TheWholeHoggs. They have a stall at a market in glasnevin on a Saturday. All free range pork, great ribs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I can't see if you mentioned it already, Surball, but what temp and timing did you run for? Any moisture in the smoker? It looks fantastic - very impressed with the cracklin.

OldBean wrote: »
    I can't see if you mentioned it already, Surball, but what temp and timing did you run for? Any moisture in the smoker? It looks fantastic - very impressed with the cracklin.
    No moisture used at all, wanted dry heat to crisp the skin. I coated skin with vegetable oil and salt.
    Cooked indirect for about 4hrs, 1.5hrs at 250c and then for the remainder I reduced temperature to about 150c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That looks lovely. Would love to try this

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

So like, when the loin is left on the belly, it's basically how a rasher is made?

• Advertisement

Is that Saltpeter or something else?

Advertisement