Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Homestead and More, The Range, Woodies, Homebase, Tesco, SuperValu, Lidl, Aldi, garden centres etc.

Cheers but I was thinking more of a full set in a case if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

Home Store & More do some good stuff. The Oxo brand is pretty good for tongs, spatulas etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

SeaFields wrote: »
    Cheers but I was thinking more of a full set in a case if possible.

Amazon

U-MISS BBQ Grill Tools Set with 26 Barbecue Accessories - Stainless Steel Utensils with Aluminium Case - Complete Outdoor Grilling Kit by (26pcs) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078MWYRVR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oFYXAbYSDHJQF

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Brian? wrote: »
    Amazon

U-MISS BBQ Grill Tools Set with 26 Barbecue Accessories - Stainless Steel Utensils with Aluminium Case - Complete Outdoor Grilling Kit by (26pcs) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078MWYRVR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_oFYXAbYSDHJQF

Yes something like that would fit the bill nicely. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

today I will have BBQ chicken wings and legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

TK Maxx have a load of BBQ stuff in, some decent bits. Got a cast iron press, been wanting one for a while. Great for smash burgers. Loads of BBQ accessories. Some of the char broil stuff is really good quality, far better than what you'd get in those sets on amazon. Worth a trip if ur near one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

unklerosco wrote: »
    TK Maxx have a load of BBQ stuff in, some decent bits. Got a cast iron press, been wanting one for a while. Great for smash burgers. Loads of BBQ accessories. Some of the char broil stuff is really good quality, far better than what you'd get in those sets on amazon. Worth a trip if ur near one.

Nice one, straight into TK Maxx tomorrow. Which one were you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

budgemook wrote: »
    Nice one, straight into TK Maxx tomorrow. Which one were you in?

The one in blanch is good for kitchen stuff. Plus parking and layout is much handier. But as is always the case with TK Maxx, availability is always pot luck.

I was in Swords but it looks like the got some stock in the most of the shops from what I've read. They had a large circular cast iron press I saw online but they didn't have that particular one in Swords. So I'm sure most shops will have a range of BBQ gear, but it will most likely vary amongst stores.

Went to TK Maxx in Blanch, they didn't have much BBQ stuff worth getting tbh. They had burger presses but they were more the type for making patties, not for smashing balls of meat on to a hot grill - I'll have to keep looking for one of those. That said, they were 9.99 for the metal burger presses compared to 16.99 in Woodies.

Regarding accessories in a case - Woodies have them but they are 50 and 60 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Choice has a very good selection of bbq stuff and reasonable aswell. Dealz also have wood chips for 1.50 a bag.

Went to TK Maxx in Blanch, they didn't have much BBQ stuff worth getting tbh. They had burger presses but they were more the type for making patties, not for smashing balls of meat on to a hot grill - I'll have to keep looking for one of those. .

They have them in Swords, got one for €9.99 - similar to this
    19681640009001p?$478$

Some of the branches have round ones but no idea which ones.

unklerosco wrote: »
    They have them in Swords, got one for €9.99 - similar to this
    19681640009001p?$478$

Some of the branches have round ones but no idea which ones.

This is what I'm after alright. I'll try Stephen's Green on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Save a tenner and just use your hands tbh

RasTa wrote: »
    Save a tenner and just use your hands tbh

For smash burgers? You're mixing up a utensil for forming burger patties with a utensil for smashing them down on to a hot grill so the burgers get a lovely crust. Currently I use a regular burger flipper but it bends.

When I was a young lad I worked in a burger place and we had a cast iron press for smashing the burgers down and it was the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For smash burgers? You're mixing up a utensil for forming burger patties with a utensil for smashing them down on to a hot grill so the burgers get a lovely crust. Currently I use a regular burger flipper but it bends.

When I was a young lad I worked in a burger place and we had a cast iron press for smashing the burgers down and it was the business.

Do you pre heat the press?
    Does it not mangle the burger between the bars of the grill?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Currently I use a regular burger flipper but it bends.
    A trick is to use a strong upturned mug/cup/glass to press down on whatever it is you put on top of the burger. A tin of beans would work too, with no fear of it breaking if using lots of pressure.

I have metal discs I use. If you have an old frying pan it can work, you might have an old worn out non stick one fit for the bin. Or you could just buy a small cast iron pan for the job, so it can also be used as a regular pan too.

A saucepan works too, as the sides are high and away from the heat & fat you can press down on the side walls.

These youtube guys "the beary hikers" visit all the gourmet burger places around Ireland and if you skip past the first few mins most places will fully reveal their cooking techniques. Most are using a pressing technique. Most will also cover the burger at the end with the cheese & upper bun in place. This steams the bun, it is best not to steam the lower bun as it can be too soggy. It is pretty easy to replicate, I was amazed how good the burgers are, and disgusted that I was making mediocre burgers for all those years. Some reveal the cuts of meat and fat content etc

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beary+hikers

Do you pre heat the press?
    Does it not mangle the burger between the bars of the grill?

I have a cast iron plate that I use in my BBQ

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I know it’s personal preference, in all in anyways.
    This sounds like a recipe for dry burgers. A good heavy season with salt and a high heat are all you need.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This sounds like a recipe for dry burgers.
    Not at all, its actually the only real negative I have, juice pouring out can be messy when eating. I must have looked at 7 or 8 of those videos I linked of Irish burger places and only 1 place did not use a pressing technique. (They had it on a grill over coals.)

Lots of US burger places would press too.

The guy who owns smashburger can be seen here explaining things.

He uses baking paper on top, 1 of the dublin places did too. This would allow you to use a saucepan to smash/press with no worry about it being clean, or cleaning after. The smash burger press he uses has sides on it, so it cannot become too thin and would be consistent.

I am surprised more do not know about it, people rave about burger places which are all over the place now, and it is really quite easy to make something similar.

• Advertisement

I know it’s personal preference, in all in anyways.
    This sounds like a recipe for dry burgers. A good heavy season with salt and a high heat are all you need.

I said the same and then I tried it. One of the best purchases I made was a cast iron griddle for my Gas BBQ. Ball of mince, smash it, hold it for around 10 seconds then let it cook. Burgers cook fairly quick and you get a great crust and juicy burger. It's the only way I'll cook a burger now.

I think people are confusing it with the "Irish Mammy" smash technique, overcook a burger to death on a medium heat to be sure its done, then get a spatula and squeeze it to death at the end, while tipping the pan to one side, to get rid of all the killer fat.

The smash ones can be made thin and easily stacked, so more crust in the burger overall, while cooking thin burgers on grill bars is very difficult. They are so fast to cook it does not matter too much that you are taking up space doing mulitple bugers.

The mad thing for me is that I worked in this burger place in the midlands exactly 20 years ago and that's where we had the balls of mince, the cast iron press and the smash Burger technique. I had forgotten all about it until I seen it on YouTube last year.

It's the business, best way to do a burger. Squash it down, hold it a minute, wait until the red juice starts to appear on the top of the Patty and then flip it over for a minute - best burger you'll have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Most chippers (or at least any of the ones that I’ve been in) have those presses for cooking burgers, even though they’re always frozen burgers. I think they’re just used for even cooking and to stop them arching up.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Most chippers (or at least any of the ones that I’ve been in) have those presses for cooking burgers, even though they’re always frozen burgers. I think they’re just used for even cooking and to stop them arching up.

The chippers will usually have the press heated, just sitting there on the hot plate area, so the residual heat cooks it from the top too, and would stop curling like you say, and stops the burger shrining a bit, as they typically use wide rolls (one of my biggest hates is a "meatball burger" in an oversized bun). Many chippers have frozen burgers but leave them in the fridge to thaw.

I went out and got mince & buns just there after all this talk!

Most recommend 20% fat or so. The highest fat mince in tesco is 18%.

The pressing technique creates a lot of smoke, my smoke alarm would definitely go off, this is why it is suited to a BBQ. I have a thick base stainless pot (no non stick coating) which I get extremely hot, then bring outside and press and leave it, stays hot for ages. My plate I press down is not heavy, so after pressing down hard I just leave it on top, this traps the steam and cooks it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Has anyone bought the BBQ gear in Aldi? The pizza oven looks like it could be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Has anyone bought the BBQ gear in Aldi? The pizza oven looks like it could be decent.
    Looks decent alright. Only concern would be the size of it and whether you have to remove racks every time out want to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Only one left in East Wall this morning.......

pizza can be done in a cast iron skillet on a BBQ, and the cast iron skillet has loads more used on a BBQ and can be used indoors too. Also takes up far less pace, and should be cheaper.

The aldi yoke takes up a lot of space, when people are told about being invited to a BBQ they are not thinking of pizza. Seemed like a gimmick to me. Unless you are a totally big pizza fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

rubadub wrote: »
    pizza can be done in a cast iron skillet on a BBQ, and the cast iron skillet has loads more used on a BBQ and can be used indoors too. Also takes up far less pace, and should be cheaper.

The aldi yoke takes up a lot of space, when people are told about being invited to a BBQ they are not thinking of pizza. Seemed like a gimmick to me. Unless you are a totally big pizza fan.

been making fresh pizza for 20yrs and tend to agree,
    i dont see the advantage of this "enclosure"
    i have done pizza on stones placed in kettles for years,
    ok, maybe the tighter area will heat up better, but ive hit
    blinding heats in the kettle by just using a decent amount of lumpwood
    so much so that i was scorching the pizza it was so hot,
    this looks like a dirt collector and yet another thing i dont have room for

rgds

Advertisement