Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

I have a one foot diameter camping BBQ with a clip on lid. Am planning to try a 3lb piece of pork shoulder, indirect and slow cooked.

Am I kidding myself?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭fitz

budgemook wrote: »
    I have a one foot diameter camping BBQ with a clip on lid. Am planning to try a 3lb piece of pork shoulder, indirect and slow cooked.

Am I kidding myself?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Just finished reading through the whole thread, some great info and fantastic looking food, thanks everyone.

I think I'll go for a Weber original 57cm and a maverick 2 probe thermometer, plus a starter kettle.

Pork burnt ends are on my to do list, and anything slow cooked pig really, I've done shoulder in the oven adding home made chicken stock to the tray, the resulting gravy was beautiful, this would be something else. I also saw the close to Katz pastrami recipe, I want.

Anyone have any thoughts on this sort of thing? It was mentioned about 40 pages back, no comments though https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk/collections/adrenaline-barbecue-company/products/slow-n-sear-plus

I have general kitchen utensils, anything particular such as long tongs, maybe special mitts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

You dont need anything really but you always find yourself in the bbq section with a bundle of stuff that " will come in handy " its easy really just watch your temps sit back drink a few beers and reap the rewards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

I've got 2 slow n sears, standard size and the XL for my 26" Weber. Great pieces of kit, well made, and do exactly as they say. I smoked some ribs yesterday for 6 hours, with just one starter chimney of coals.

Well worth it. CHeck out their FB page too, good crew on it.

https://www.facebook.com/adrenalinebarbecuecompany/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

SVI40 wrote:
    I've got 2 slow n sears, standard size and the XL for my 26" Weber. Great pieces of kit, well made, and do exactly as they say. I smoked some ribs yesterday for 6 hours, with just one starter chimney of coals.

How much for the standard one with postage ??

How much for the standard one with postage ??

It cost me £106.99 including shipping. Not cheap, but it will last a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

SVI40 wrote: »

Well worth it. CHeck out their FB page too, good crew on it.

https://www.facebook.com/adrenalinebarbecuecompany/

Thanks, there is a plus option, which seems to change the base to stop the embers falling out, and also for additional stability. Does that sound useful to you?

@Martin, I do the same, I'm happy to spend money on my hobbies if I'll use it, sometimes get a bit carried away.

Having got the XL which has the base, I'm sorry I didn't get it for the standard one. Live and learn! It is more stable, and I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Won't be doing lamb belly again. An awful cut off meat. Very fatty and chewy and not for the bbq. Did bbq some carrots though in oil balsamic vinegar & sugar which turned out quite nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

neris wrote: »
    Won't be doing lamb belly again. An awful cut off meat. Very fatty and chewy and not for the bbq. Did bbq some carrots though in oil balsamic vinegar & sugar which turned out quite nice.

How did you cook it? Lamb belly is very different from pork belly, and doesn't (In my experience!) benefit from very long and low cooks, but if you give it plenty of time marinading (rather than a dry rub) and then cook it like you would picanha - About an hour to 80 minutes cooked indirect, then 5-10 minutes directly over the coals, you should get a great result. You're looking for an internal temp read of about 155f if that helps at all. The fat and muscle in lamb and goat is quite different from pork and beef, and it can definitely be an acquired taste.

If you're into the gamier side of meat, cabrito (goat) neck is amazing on the smoker. Cook it similar to a small pork shoulder (5 hours is usually a good ballpark at 250f), dice it up and serve on tacos with a squeeze of lime and some avocado.
    beertons wrote: »
    Stick up a list of them if ya don't mind.

2,500 Tabasco
    4,000 Crystal Hot Sauce
    6,000 Snake Oil
    10,000 Iguana Habenaro
    20,000 85% Pain
    30,000 Blairs Death Sauce w/Chipotle
    100,000 Foo Foo Mama Choo w/Carolina Reaper
    128,450 Melindas Ghost Pepper
    650,000 Mega Death Sauce w/LR

So this is quite a few months old, but gives the scoville then the sauce. I've expanded quite a bit since then, especially on the hotter end of the scale, with Da'Bomb Ground Zero, Maddog 357 and a few others. Some of the Scoville readings are estimates if an extract hasn't been used or variable ratings depending on the bottle and batch.

If you're into hot sauce at all, its definitely worth checking out Hot Ones; it's a talk show where celebs are asked questions while eating wings covered in hot sauce, going up the scoville scale - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAzrgbu8gEMIIK3r4Se1dOZWSZzUSadfZ

They're also involved in the Heatonist shops in the US - https://heatonist.com/

OldBean wrote: »
    How did you cook it? Lamb belly is very different from pork belly, and doesn't (In my experience!) benefit from very long and low cooks, but if you give it plenty of time marinading (rather than a dry rub) and then cook it like you would picanha - About an hour to 80 minutes cooked indirect, then 5-10 minutes directly over the coals, you should get a great result. You're looking for an internal temp read of about 155f if that helps at all. The fat and muscle in lamb and goat is quite different from pork and beef, and it can definitely be an acquired taste.

If you're into the gamier side of meat, cabrito (goat) neck is amazing on the smoker. Cook it similar to a small pork shoulder (5 hours is usually a good ballpark at 250f), dice it up and serve on tacos with a squeeze of lime and some avocado.

Cooked the belly on a kettle bbq with the lid on but the belly on one side and the coals on the other so not a direct heat, there wasn't much meat on it either was alot of fat on it. I actually did lamb neck to on the same day, i did it as kebabs though over coals, Marinated in a mayonaise and home made spice mix. the meat was nice but bit chewy in parts.

If anyones into bbq/grilling and has Netflix, theres a few good documentary type programmes on there on BBQ styles from around the world. Good one on Argentinan Asados

these were my lamb neck kebabs

20180318_183127.jpg

Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that stocks wood or logs that can be used for bbq. Normal logs are to sort and the smoke to disgusting and over powering. Looking for something like oak or a fruit trees wood. I've tried some of those wood chip packets you can get but don't think they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

neris wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that stocks wood or logs that can be used for bbq. Normal logs are to sort and the smoke to disgusting and over powering. Looking for something like oak or a fruit trees wood. I've tried some of those wood chip packets you can get but don't think they're great.

I’m selling oak chunks and larger chunks.
    Fully seasoned to 17-18% and ready to go ðŸ‘
    Have chunks of beech and alder too.
    Had loads of wood but sold a lot to folks over on bbq life Ireland on FB
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/1430258297015667

niallam wrote: »
    I’m selling oak chunks and larger chunks.
    Fully seasoned to 17-18% and ready to go ðŸ‘
    Have chunks of beech and alder too.
    Had loads of wood but sold a lot to folks over on bbq life Ireland on FB
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/1430258297015667

I'd be interested in some. Where are you based, and what's the cost?

Cheers,

SVI40

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

beertons wrote: »
    Great new selection of broil king smokers in Johnstown garden center. I only went in looking for BBQ firelighters, but stayed looking for about an hour. The guy was too busy putting them all together, so I'll go back in again in a few days to get them.
    I called in but disappointingly they are Char Broil smokers and not Broil King.

They have a Char Broil Bullet smoker which is very similar to the Weber Smokey Mountain. Priced at 300. Anyone ever used one of these? Can't find too much info on them online which suggests they are probably ****e but maybe not?

SVI40 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in some. Where are you based, and what's the cost?

Cheers,

SVI40

€1.50kg for oak.
    Half the price of anywhere else. A lot of work in them.
    Here’s some oak ready.
    I made them to the same chunk size as the Weber ones you can buy.

Based in Ashbourne or Wexford but can organise free delivery of them round Dublin/Meath/Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Whereabouts in Wexford?

longshanks wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Wexford?

Enniscorthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Pruning a few apple trees and saving wood for a few friends.

What size wood is best for smoking in terms of length and diameter?

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Pruning a few apple trees and saving wood for a few friends.

What size wood is best for smoking in terms of length and diameter?

Firstly depends what you’re smoking on.
    For a Weber (or similar) you’ll want chunks of about 3” square, not possible with wood really but that’s the sort of chunk size you’re after.

If you’ve an offset burning charcoal & wood you can use bigger splits.

I just burn wood myself so use a 5” split, use 2 at a time every 40 mins and that keeps me at 250 for as long as I need.

It’s all about learning what you’re cooking on :)

I clean every piece of wood I cut, pain staking but worth it. Use a metal brush drill attachment and clean all the bark before cutting the logs down.

Left is before cleaning, right is cleaned.
    Then I measure and cut then split by hand and season them to 17/18%

Left is before cleaning, right is cleaned.
    Then I measure and cut then split by hand and season them to 17/18%

Thanks both lads are using Webers and mainly smoking cheese, fish and brisket.

Thanks for your help

Thanks both lads are using Webers and mainly smoking cheese, fish and brisket.

Thanks for your help

Cheese will be cold smoked, maybe apple or oak?
    Fish can be either really hot or cold smoked, Alder would suit best but beech and oak both work for salmon.
    Beef I use oak and cherry mainly myself.

Small chunks for hot smoking in a Weber

Cheese will be cold smoked, maybe apple or oak?
    Fish can be either really hot or cold smoked, Alder would suit best but beech and oak both work for salmon.
    Beef I use oak and cherry mainly myself.

Small chunks for hot smoking in a Weber

I have all those trees, I'll do the alder and oak today while I'm at it.

Thanks again

I have all those trees, I'll do the alder and oak today while I'm at it.

Thanks again

Just make sure you season the wood properly. Cutting into small chunks it seasons quick enough. Dry place with good airflow. Outside under shelter is best.
    16-18% is ideal.

Alder in the pic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Folks can anyone link to a good accessories kit? I have a Weber 47cm charcoal BBQ and would like a few bits to help with the cooking. Must get skewers too. Budget up to €50 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

SeaFields wrote: »
    Folks can anyone link to a good accessories kit? I have a Weber 47cm charcoal BBQ and would like a few bits to help with the cooking. Must get skewers too. Budget up to €50 maybe.

What type of bits do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

BaZmO* wrote: »
    What type of bits do you want?

I must get skewers but I need tongs, spatula, etc. If I could get it all in one set it'd be very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

SeaFields wrote: »
    I must get skewers but I need tongs, spatula, etc. If I could get it all in one set it'd be very handy.

Homestead and More, The Range, Woodies, Homebase, Tesco, SuperValu, Lidl, Aldi, garden centres etc.

Advertisement