Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

horsebox09 wrote: »
    That apathy album sounds good, ''mind ya business'' sounds like a leftover track from a majik most album but the other 2 are really good, hes definitely got better beats on here than his debut judging by those tracks!

Amazon has snippets up, im liking the prodution on this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wanna-Snuggle-Explicit/dp/B002NHXOAG

I heard this album last night,it's really good, very smooth i like it more than eastern philosophy.
    Theirs alot of throwbacks to late 80's and mid 90's hip hop, the AZ sample on money orientated is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The Apathy album is actually called Wanna Snuggle, not struggle. It's kind of a wierd name but he has a meaning to it!

EDIT: There are some tracks embedded in this page and a description of the album.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.9846/title.apathy-previews-new-album-produces-for-cypress-hill

They are bangers!!

I've heard a track from the Swollen Members record and i wasnt overly impressed but i'll still check out the album.

Sole & Skyrider - have you heard thier new free EP? I've listened once and my first impression was that it's a bit odd. I was really impressed with thier first album and all Sole's material before that.

Haha i wrote snuggle and just before i pressed send i changed it thinking that can't be right. Weird name for an album all right.

Yeah was listening to Battlefields recently. It's a bit unusual but i liked it. The beats really accentuate sole's lyrics. Although i don't have any real urge to listen to it again any time soon.

I heard that warriors track. Only thing i didn't like about it was the hook. Didn't really compliment the rest of the track. There's some nice guests on the album so it should be okay at least.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Haha i wrote snuggle and just before i pressed send i changed it thinking that can't be right. Weird name for an album all right.

Yeah was listening to Battlefields recently. It's a bit unusual but i liked it. The beats really accentuate sole's lyrics. Although i don't have any real urge to listen to it again any time soon.

I heard that warriors track. Only thing i didn't like about it was the hook. Didn't really compliment the rest of the track. There's some nice guests on the album so it should be okay at least.

listened to Battlefileds again, it's actually quite good.

got my hands on Wanna Snuggle so i'll check it out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

listened to Battlefileds again, it's actually quite good.

got my hands on Wanna Snuggle so i'll check it out soon

Listened to Wanna snuggle today. The first half is decent but with 21 tracks it seems to lose steam towards the end. Actually right around Thinkin' it heads downhill. There are some songs that should have been kept to ep's or b sides. I was also skeptical about Ap handling most of the production and i'm not overly impressed. His style suits more aggressive beats. Not the soulful touch. I really wanted to like this album but i think it's just gonna hoover around the middle ground for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Listened to Wanna snuggle today. The first half is decent but with 21 tracks it seems to lose steam towards the end. Actually right around Thinkin' it heads downhill. There are some songs that should have been kept to ep's or b sides. I was also skeptical about Ap handling most of the production and i'm not overly impressed. His style suits more aggressive beats. Not the soulful touch. I really wanted to like this album but i think it's just gonna hoover around the middle ground for me.

.....still havent listened to it yet, saving it for the ride to work tomorrow.
    But the 21 track thing, i find that the Demigod collective tend to release albums that are too long with exception of Sin-A-matic which was perfect...oh, and Eastern Philosophy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

One more tune from Big Boi 's album....

Example's very pop new single, look at his hair:eek::D

.....still havent listened to it yet, saving it for the ride to work tomorrow.
    But the 21 track thing, i find that the Demigod collective tend to release albums that are too long with exception of Sin-A-matic which was perfect...oh, and Eastern Philosophy

Ok so i finally listened to the Apathy album, about 6 or 7 times now, i quite like it. There are a few flaws though, there is no cohesion with the songs, basically it is just lots of songs thrown onto a CD in a random order. So it doesnt have the feel of an album about it.

But it does what you expect, if you want to hear Apathy doing his thang, that's what you get, but he has stepped it up a notch. On some of the songs he changes up his rhyme patterns, and some have really dope beats. Whereas other songs are just the same old Ap. So he is showing some of the old and a bit of diversity.

I reckon if the album was released about 5 years ago it would have some wow factor to it....maybe also with 1 or 2 songs held back for a mixtape.

The new Big Boi song is excellent.

Some other stuff from this year that i've finally got my hands on. Bike For Three - More Hearts Than Brains. This is a record that Buck 65 recorded with some other dude, it's quite good.
    Also got Abstract Rude - Rejuvination which i've yet to listen to. I was never really big into Ab Rude but i've heard good things about this record.

EDIT - Just finished listening to Ab Rude, it's kinda nice!

BK-One - Radio Do Canibal is excellent, it would probably be in my top 5 albums of the year (so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭eamonhonda

BK-One - Radio Do Canibal is excellent, it would probably be in my top 5 albums of the year (so far).

wats your other 4 if ya dont mind me askin?

eamonhonda wrote: »
    wats your other 4 if ya dont mind me askin?

Probably (in no particular order):
    Eyedea & Abilities - By The Throat
    P.O.S. - Never Better
    Illogic - Diabolical Fun
    Toki Wright - A Different Mirror

They are the other 4 i can think of at the moment......and i'm just after realising that 4/5 are on Rhymesayers

EDIT: Mr. Lif, Bus Driver, Cage and Raekwon are alos battling for a spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

Anyone able to tell me what the story is with the Souls of Mischief... I see they are about to release a new album, is this like a back catalogue stuff? are they in the studio? are they minus some one? still 93 til Infinity, and their stuff with Hieroglyphics. Don't know what to make of this.

godspal wrote: »
    Anyone able to tell me what the story is with the Souls of Mischief... I see they are about to release a new album, is this like a back catalogue stuff? are they in the studio? are they minus some one? still 93 til Infinity, and their stuff with Hieroglyphics. Don't know what to make of this.

it's a new album with all new material.

It's still the original line up, all the members of SOM are in Hiero.

I think that it's going to be a pretty decent album, they are kinda unique in what they do and dont really go for the commercial success side of music.

The Grouch and Eligh from Living Legends (Murs's group) released an album called Say G & E this year, just got around to listening to it today, not bad but nothing exceptional. There are a few standout tracks like Boom and Worried about the World.
    It's defo worth a listen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

7 pages and only one mention of J. Cole. This dude is nice. Listening to The Warm Up mixtape now. It's very good. I can see where the Drake comparisons are coming from. They have the same sounding voice. Otherwise it's no comparison. I havent heard Drake flow once like J. Cole. 1st artist signed to Roc Nation. Hopefully Jay won't **** it for him like he did for the yung gunz, teirra marie etc

evil_seed wrote: »
    7 pages and only one mention of J. Cole. This dude is nice. Listening to The Warm Up mixtape now. It's very good. I can see where the Drake comparisons are coming from. They have the same sounding voice. Otherwise it's no comparison. I havent heard Drake flow once like J. Cole. 1st artist signed to Roc Nation. Hopefully Jay won't **** it for him like he did for the yung gunz, teirra marie etc

yeah j cole is pretty good, i thought he was going to be like drake but he's definitley better, some nice punchlines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Yea, will definitely be checking for his debut. The warm up was the first time i ever listened to a mix tape the whole way through. Loving 'lights please' 'grown simba' and 'losing my balance'. Haven't heard his feature on blueprint 3 yet but looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll see him drop sometime soon

floggg wrote: »
    Yea, will definitely be checking for his debut. The warm up was the first time i ever listened to a mix tape the whole way through. Loving 'lights please' 'grown simba' and 'losing my balance'. Haven't heard his feature on blueprint 3 yet but looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll see him drop sometime soon

haven't checked out the whole mix tape yet but i like what i heard off it, think he has another one called ''the come up''

his verse on the blueprint 3 is decent enough from what i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

another track from the Big Boi album leaked. Shock Blockas is the name of the song in question. This album is going to be superb hopefully. :D

i remember someone here was talking about Breeze Brewin.....new EP coming out soon, here's a vid from it:

Anybody heard that fashawn album boy meets world yet??
    it's really good, produced by exile, fashawn is one to look out for the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Jus Allah spittin hot fiyah on the new AOTP

Jus Allah wrote:
    I AM ROB ZOMBIE
    I AM THE OMNI OF DISHONESTY
    I AM A PRODIGY AND ATROCITY
    NOT A LOT OF PROMISE IN ME
    POSITIVELY NOT A DROP OF MODESTY
    MY PHILOSOPHY IS THE POLICY
    I BELIEVE IN NOTHING
    TRY TEACHING A BEAST PEACE AND LOVING
    JUGGLING
    MY BELIEFS NEED READJUSTING
    MY LIFE WAS STICKS AND ROCKS
    KICK PUNCH BLOCK
    IT WAS NOT A BOX OF BUTTERSCOTCH AND SHUTTLECOCKS
    I HAVE FILLED A PLOT OF MUD
    SPILT A LOT OF BLOOD
    WATCH THE DROPS DRIP AND FLOOD
    HIT THE TOP STUD
    I HAVE CRUSHED A LOT OF WAVES
    DRUNK A LOT OF GRAPES
    I HAVE ****ED A LOT OF BABES
    I'M DO NOT DISTURB
    I HAVE PUNCHED A LOT OF NERDS

Butterscotch and Shuttlecocks rawr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Anybody heard the new Cormega album 'born and raised'? Just heard three tracks so far but very impressed. Production sounds good (Dj premier, pete rock, Nottz, lil fame) and its top notch lyrically. Definitely worth a check. Great year for hip-hop so far in my book!

New Sean Price - Kimbo Price is around as is Masta Ace & Edo G - Arts and Entertainment.

Orizio was it you that introduced us to Adam Tensta?

Anyway, new song from Pato Pooh featuring Tensta. Video is quality.

Makaveli wrote: »

couldnt get through it, reminded me why i always turned down the volume on my NES.

Hows things lads, just found me some snippets of the NEW madvillain album!!:D:D

http://www.limelinx.com/files/73741c0fb482ab559d1ef04167647239

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Makaveli wrote: »

Video is class, song is bit meh but like the beat. Alsosaw some nice t-shirts in the vid, will have to investigate

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Hows things lads, just found me some snippets of the NEW madvillain album!!:D:D

http://www.limelinx.com/files/73741c0fb482ab559d1ef04167647239

that link is dead for me :mad:

• Advertisement

new Edan album:
    Stones Throw Records' storehas recently announced that Edan's new album Echo Party will be released by December URL="http://stonesthrow.com/news/2009/10/edan-echo-party"]click here[/URL. The vinyl version of the album will also feature hand-drawn covers, while the music is a slew of classic old school Rap records that Edan has transformed into something new.

The project finds Edan going into Traffic Entertainment Group's back catalog where he was given freedom to use work from old school Rap labels like Chocolate Star and Magic Records and a few others to modernize as he pleased. Using tape echo, guitar and kazoos, among other instruments, he was able to craft half an hour of new material.

Taking the time to make sure the packaging is done, he has also decided to hand-draw every LP cover. They will come in a limited supply as only 1,000 will be made. The CD also comes with a 12 page book, one that details what the listener is hearing as the album plays.

This is Edan's last album since the acclaimed 2005 album Beauty & The Beat URL="http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/reviews/id.511"]click to read[/URL.

Echo Party will be released November 23. LP's should arrive at Stonesthrow.com with CD's arriving soon after.

Advertisement