Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Is Mos Def worthy of a nomination on that list?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I have a bit of an inner conflict over Mos Def. When i first listened to it i really liked it but now i have no motivation to listen to it now for some reason.

I get the impression that it's an album i'll go back to occassionally to listen to and i'll enjoy it, but it's not something that will compete against the others on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Is Mos Def worthy of a nomination on that list?

I don't think he is. While there are a couple of good tracks on the album its not something i will be listening to over and over again. Fairly boring overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I just downloaded J.Cole's new mixtape - he's signed to Jay-z's RocNation label.

A very interesting artist - he's got a good flow, nice voice and i think he produces all his own stuff as well. He's also very nice lyrically - the track "lights off" is pretty deep for a song about women and sexing.

I have heard that he is getting a lot of comparsions to Drake - i can't really comment as I have only ever heard that never better song and frankly, was not moved by it.

Also, refreshingly for a new young artist, its auto-tune free, although then again, when your boss is releasing a song called Auto-tune, thats hardly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    just throwing in what i think the best releases are this year so far...

P.O.S. - Never Better
    Illogic - Diabolical Fun
    Jake One - White Can Music
    Cage - Depart From Me
    Mr. Lif - I Heard It Today
    Blaqpoet - The Blaqprint
    Toki Wright - A different Mirror
    DOOM - Born like that
    Wu - Chamber Music
    Cunninglinguisits - Strange Journey
    Bus Driver - Jheli Beam
    Eyedea & Abilities - By The Throat

i might have forgotten some

This is a very white list BB, very white indeed. ;)

My favourite albums are still the Kan Kick, Curren$y and Mojoe albums. Its been a pretty barren last couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Orizio wrote: »
    This is a very white list BB, very white indeed. ;)

My favourite albums are still the Kan Kick, Curren$y and Mojoe albums. Its been a pretty barren last couple of months.

all i need is for atmosphere, sole, sage, b. dolan and cecil otter to release something this year :D

actually cecil otter is releasing a collabo with Dessa (female mc) which is supposed to drop this year.

I know there are a few Brother Ali followers here, new album due out in Sept, this is a snippet of what to expect

From Rhymesayers:
    Brother Ali's last album, the critically acclaimed, The Undisputed Truth, was a landmark in hip-hop, an album that carried weight equally with critics and fans alike, an album of bold statements and bolder beats, politically and socially aware without being preachy. His new album, Us (Rhymesayers Entertainment), is a progression that will make Brother Ali one of the most enduring figures in hip-hop; while still aware, Ali has turned his gaze inward, and started examining the human condition from the outside in. A profound personal glimpse into a vulnerability seldom seen or heard in music, Us touches on the strengths and flaws of the human condition, exploring drug abuse, divorce, homophobia and many more topics that most people are scared to touch in their own lives, much less on an album for the world to see.

As with previous endeavors, the beats here are courtesy of Ant, whose production work seems to be getting more soulful and lush by the minute. The guest appearances only accentuate Brother Ali's strengths, with Chuck D, Freeway, Joell Ortiz and Stokley Williams of Mint Condition making strong appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 purepwnage

hopefully DETOX
    maybe the new cuban lynx
    something else from wu tang
    something from the southside, i was hearing about carter 4, maybe something new from paul wall/chamillionaire/mike jones, body head bangerz/roy jones jr

but yeah, if detox is released, that would just make 2009 the best year yet for hiphop

I reckon Eyedea & Abilities 'By The Throat' is a contender for Album Of The Year.
    This is the first video from the album

This album is technically brilliant, the beats/production are flawless, the cuts by Abilities are top drawer, the lyrics are insightful and Eyedea uses his incredilble lyrical and delivery talent to almost perfection.
    Some critics are not happy with Eyedea singing, i'm personally all for it, it brings a new dimension to thier music.

It's not long drawn out album, the majority of the songs are short but deliver and leave an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah I got the album after some recommendations, is the rest of their stuff more hippy hoppy?

• Advertisement

Yeah, lots more hip hoppy, you should really get your hands on E&A, it's brilliant. Dope rhymes beats and cuts. Thier first album called First Born is a little more avante garde.

Some more new stuff.......

most impressively is a new Felt album, that's Slug (Atmosphere) and Murs teaming up for ya'll that dont know. This time the production is gonna be handled entirely by Aesop Rock. I've heard one track called Protagonists and it is ace.

a new track from Brother Ali's US called Fresh Air has leaked also.

super duper good

A Slug/Murs album ruined by fecking Aesop's Rock. Fantastic, at the very least the bollocks should have the decency to stay off the mic...

A Slug/Murs album ruined by fecking Aesop's Rock. Fantastic, at the very least the bollocks should have the decency to stay off the mic...

:eek: didn't realise that you had such strong feelings against Aes Rock!

His voice, lyrics, flow and beats will do that to a person. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Brother Ali's "Rope-a-dope" thingy was a banger.

Best tracks were

"Worlds an Uproar" Feat Prozack Turner (also on Prozack Turner's "Bangathon" from last year).

And

"The Truth" featuring Freeway.

His voice, lyrics, flow and beats will do that to a person. ;)

still in shock about this :eek: I'm quite the opposite in opinion.
    Brother Ali's "Rope-a-dope" thingy was a banger.
    Really like Rope A Dope, nice to listen to but i dont think there was anything new on there that i hadnt heard before.
    From what i've heard of his new album, it's gonna be banana's good.

There's a few other tidbits i found as well..... i mentioned Toki Wrights album A Different Mirror earlier in this thread, here's a taster from it. This album gets better and better with each listen.

And for all ya'll K'Naan followers, there is a new EP wit J.Period available

its a zshare link but this is officailly free and legit so will i be breaking any boards laws if i post it?

New Beanie Sigel out 1st Sept, really looking forward to it. Just heard a track called In The Ghetto there and quite liked it

Fresh after the release of Cuban Linx 2, Ghostface is about to release a new album called The Wizard Of Poetry in Emerald City.

I'm not really as excited about this as I was for Cuban Linx 2. His nost recent albums havent been great so i guess i'm expecting more of the same on this.

Track Listing:
    1. Not Your Average Girl (ft. Shareefa)
    2. Do Over (ft. Raheem "Radio" DeVaughn)
    3. Baby (ft. Raheem "Radio" DeVaughn)
    4. Lonely (ft. Jack Knight)
    5. Stapleton Sex
    6. Stay
    7. Paragraphs of Love (ft. Vaughn Anthony and Estelle)
    8. Guest House (ft. Fabolous and Shareefa)
    9. Let’s Stop Playin‘ (ft. John Legend)
    10. Forever
    11. I’ll Be That (ft. Adrienne Bailon)
    12. Goner (ft. Lloyd)
    13. She’s A Killah (ft. Ron Browz) (Bonus Track)
    14. Back Like That (ft. Ne-Yo and Kanye West) (Bonus Track)

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Fresh after the release of Cuban Linx 2, Ghostface is about to release a new album called The Wizard Of Poetry in Emerald City.

I'm not really as excited about this as I was for Cuban Linx 2. His nost recent albums havent been great so i guess i'm expecting more of the same on this.

Track Listing:
    1. Not Your Average Girl (ft. Shareefa)
    2. Do Over (ft. Raheem "Radio" DeVaughn)
    3. Baby (ft. Raheem "Radio" DeVaughn)
    4. Lonely (ft. Jack Knight)
    5. Stapleton Sex
    6. Stay
    7. Paragraphs of Love (ft. Vaughn Anthony and Estelle)
    8. Guest House (ft. Fabolous and Shareefa)
    9. Let’s Stop Playin‘ (ft. John Legend)
    10. Forever
    11. I’ll Be That (ft. Adrienne Bailon)
    12. Goner (ft. Lloyd)
    13. She’s A Killah (ft. Ron Browz) (Bonus Track)
    14. Back Like That (ft. Ne-Yo and Kanye West) (Bonus Track)

Wow the featured artists on the tracks does not bode well for the album at all, very r'n'b based. I think this is looking like a bit of a turkey (not having heard a single bit of it obviously!)

• Advertisement

Wow the featured artists on the tracks does not bode well for the album at all, very r'n'b based. I think this is looking like a bit of a turkey (not having heard a single bit of it obviously!)

yeah, that RnB sound is what has put me off his most recent albums. But i'll give it a whirl nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

i thought of this myself but was lazy to post,very RnB like. Im not sure wot to expect.

i still think that there will be some good on the album, Ghosty on his day can be brilliant, just look at his feature spots on OBFCL2 recently.
    But i guess we will just have to wait and see what he comes out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

to be honest, not really, they just sound like songs that didnt make it on to fish scale.

There's a snippet of a track on that site called Baby, and starts off with Autotune followed by a verse by Ghost about his "baby girl"

Then there is She's A Killer - it sounds like he is trying to jump on the Kanye bandwagon here again with the production and hook that is used....this song seems to be also about his "baby girl" in the club.

Sorry for the negativity here, i just like the older Ghostface from the Ironman days and from what he brough on OBFCL2.

Del and Tame One are teaming up for an album to be released this year. Here's a track from it, i think it's quite good

October looks to be hotting up for a good month. Apathy is releasing an album called Wanna Snuggle and from what i have heard it sounds reall really good, best i've heard from him in a while.

Also, BK One is dropping his new album at the end of Sept. I've also had the pleasure of hearing some of this and all i can say is WOW. Excellent stuff, inspired by a lot of carnival/brazillian music with guest mc's like Slug, Ali, Phonte, Raekwon, MURS, The Grouch, Toki Wright, I Self Devine, P.O.S., Haiku DeTat and a brass band that has worked with Mos Def and Erika Badu on thier recent albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Still a good few decent albums i'm looking forward to this year

BK-One - Rádio de canibal
    Masta Ace 7 Edo G - Arts & Entertainment
    Paten Locke - Super ramen rocketship
    Dynas - The Apartment
    Sole & The skyrider band - Plastique
    People under the stairs - Carried away
    Apathy - Wanna Struggle
    JJ Brown - Connect the dots
    Royce - Street hop
    Snowgoons - Trojan horse
    Swollen Members - Armed to the teeth
    Matty Trump - The Trump card
    Gift of Gab - Escape to Mars
    William Cooper - Beware the pale horse
    Murs & Slug - A tribute to Rose Perez
    Cormega - Born & raised
    Kam Moye - Spitting image
    Killah Priest - Elizabeth

Still a good few decent albums i'm looking forward to this year

BK-One - Rádio de canibal
    Masta Ace 7 Edo G - Arts & Entertainment
    Paten Locke - Super ramen rocketship
    Dynas - The Apartment
    Sole & The skyrider band - Plastique
    People under the stairs - Carried away
    Apathy - Wanna Struggle
    JJ Brown - Connect the dots
    Royce - Street hop
    Snowgoons - Trojan horse
    Swollen Members - Armed to the teeth
    Matty Trump - The Trump card
    Gift of Gab - Escape to Mars
    William Cooper - Beware the pale horse
    Murs & Slug - A tribute to Rose Perez
    Cormega - Born & raised
    Kam Moye - Spitting image
    Killah Priest - Elizabeth

The Apathy album is actually called Wanna Snuggle, not struggle. It's kind of a wierd name but he has a meaning to it!

EDIT: There are some tracks embedded in this page and a description of the album.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.9846/title.apathy-previews-new-album-produces-for-cypress-hill

They are bangers!!

I've heard a track from the Swollen Members record and i wasnt overly impressed but i'll still check out the album.

Sole & Skyrider - have you heard thier new free EP? I've listened once and my first impression was that it's a bit odd. I was really impressed with thier first album and all Sole's material before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

That apathy album sounds good, ''mind ya business'' sounds like a leftover track from a majik most album but the other 2 are really good, hes definitely got better beats on here than his debut judging by those tracks!

Amazon has snippets up, im liking the prodution on this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wanna-Snuggle-Explicit/dp/B002NHXOAG

Advertisement